Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How could Michigan somehow drop like 1.5 times the next highest college coaches salary? The whole leak seems like a really transparent way to drive up Harbaugh's price to NFL teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'd eat my hat if he doesn't stay in the NFL. American Football revolves around the Super Bowl, and he still hasn't won it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One other thing to keep in mind is that Harbaugh is certainly on pace to be a hall of famer. Whether he can maintain that pace is one thing, but he took a team that was perennially poo poo to the playoffs, made a QB in Alex Smith who had absolutely never had a good season into a solid starter, and pushed for the super bowl every year in the postseason. If he could do it someplace else and get a ring or two and have several great years where the team contended, he'd definitely be in consideration. If he signs an 8 year college contract or something and finishes it, he's throwing away his chance at a gold jacket. I doubt that's something anyone takes lightly.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Neodoomium posted:

Oakland is a bad job because Mark Davis is the owner. It was bad when his father was the owner and he used to be very competent at coaching!

Owner isn't really an important position these days. A lot of the recent buyers have been rich dudes that don't know dick about football who just wanted a new toy. A lot of the older ones are hand-me-downs from coach/players who owned the team when football was nothing, and the people who inherited also don't know poo poo. Davis isn't a football mind, but he loves the Raiders, and I'd take him and a good GM over Jerry Jones any day.

MourningView posted:

Oakland burns through coaches at a crazy rate, no one knows where the gently caress they're going to play next year, and their roster is a mess. It's a pretty bad job.

Not since Mark took over. Dennis Allen got more than a fair chance, and had it not been some downright embarrassing losses this season, he'd probably still be the coach. The rest are valid points, but it depends on what he's looking for. If he wants a blank slate to build as his own, there isn't a much better candidate than the Raiders. They've got an OROY candidate QB, and a DROY candidate OLB to build around. Outside of that, almost everyone is on a one year deal, and they will have tons of cap space every off season for the foreseeable future. But if he wants to jump right in with a Super Bowl contender, obviously the Raiders aren't on his radar.

Sash! posted:

Yes, those poor horrible Niners with the fifth best record overall since the merger, tied for fourth most winning seasons, and the only team to win five Super Bowls with no Super Bowl losses.

They've had their rough patch lately, but c'mon man they're not like the Browns or Lions, who are perennially poo poo.

The 5-8 years prior to Harbaugh being hired are the only ones that are relevant here. The niners sucked rear end for all of that and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
His contract isn't even up until 2017, and there's no way in gently caress the Saints fire him. Michigan might as well try to sign Drew Brees as their QB for all the progress they'll make on the Payton front.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

Occam's razor is a bitch.

I'm pretty sure Occam's razor in this case is the successful major league coach staying in the major leagues like literally every other successful NFL coach.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pugnax posted:

Except that he's actually spent more time coaching at the college level, and is a total lunatic that is getting forced out of a gig because he treats his players like kids.

Almost every NFL coach has spent more time coaching in college. You have to have work experience to get promoted. I think the issue is more York and Balke disliking Harbaugh as a person than anything related to his coaching.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adun posted:

He didn't bomb out. Made the two playoffs twice with the Pats, won the AFC East his first year, and then got fired after missing the playoffs in year 3.

You're telling me that sounds much different from Jim Harbaugh?

Jim Harbaugh is the 5th winningest coach in NFL history, most winningest active, and the only coach to go to the conference championship game every year in his first three seasons. Carroll went 33-31 before he got fired, and made the playoffs once in 4 years, losing in the wild card round.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 22, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adun posted:

Actually he was 27-21 with the Pats and made the playoffs twice in three years. But whatever.

My point is still that I'd doubt if Harbaugh jumped to Michigan he'd immediately be looking for the exit.

He was 6-10 when he coached the Jets for a year and got fired. The playoffs thing is right, I misread. But, he took over a team that went to the Super Bowl the year before, and they did progressively worse every season he was there. The 49ers went from 6-10 before Harbaugh to 13-3 and the NFC championship his first season. They aren't even close to comparable. If Harbaugh goes to Michigan, he will probably stay, because he'd be passing up NFL jobs to do it. And if he's passing up NFL jobs to coach college now, I don't see why he'd feel any differently in a year or two. But that's why I don't think he'll pass up an NFL job, and his camp is just using Michigan to drive up the price.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just saw a Harbaugh at a gas station in Denver. John Fox to Michigan?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
it's about ethics in sports wordpress blogs

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
sorry ya'll that's raiders as gently caress

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

This thread's finally getting good :popcorn:

Can't wait to see more people be surprised about a thing people have thought would happen since actually preseason, while the two guys who said as much and were mocked won't get one apology from any of them

I will graciously accept the egg on my face, but the fat lady has not yet sung.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

Well, given reports like this from last March:

it was pretty obvious that his relationship with the 49ers was not going to last long. There were also reports here and there of Jim making somewhat wistful comments to friends about wanting to coach Michigan if the opportunity arose. Hoke being a long-time friend made him unwilling to say much about it, though.

Then with Hoke already in the hot seat and the team imploding in the first weeks of the season, contacting Jim to see if he was serious about coming to Ann Arbor was not all that odd.

Reports like that are a dime a dozen for all coaches. There was no reason to see anything in them until the 49ers started losing this season.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The 49ers have given the Raiders permission to interview Harbaugh. :laffo: The season isn't even over yet.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm invested in Oakland hiring Harbaugh only because that would make this the funniest thread in TFF.

Same. Being a Raiders fan would just make it all the more :circlefap:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

According to this, that can't be true because they aren't allowed to do it.

So somebody is lying.

Rapaport said that Oakland officials are meeting with the 49ers this weekend, and somebody on Sirius Radio said the 49ers had given them permission. A Raiders beat writer said the talks were being done with i's dotted and the t's crossed to avoid tampering issues.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So the Raiders will get in trouble for tampering, and Harbaugh will go to Miami.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adun posted:

Jim Harbaugh is the most Raiders coach around. I really hope it goes through

welp. it's not happening.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

will u be my insider source?

i would love to. follow me at @raiderblation and my blog at raiderblation.wordpress.com

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If he does go to college, I don't see him coming back any time soon, if at all. I don't see any other motivation for him to go to Michigan other than preferring to coach college football over the NFL. There's decent job offers that will be available this offseason, and if this happens as quick as some people say it might, he wouldn't even have entertained any of them. It seems strange because he seems psychotically competitive, which you would think would demand he coach at the highest level, but he's kind of a strange dude in general.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nick Saban wasn't much longer for the NFL either way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lasagna Pilot posted:

So it looks like the Vegas odds were on to something.

it was inflated by det betting his 401k

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Komet posted:

According to 247, Michigan sits at an abysmal #90 in the rankings, with only 6 recruits (!). Can Harbaugh salvage some sort of respectable class in 30 days?

Jesus Christ. :stare: I don't follow much college football. I knew Michigan was bad lately, but I thought it was by Michigan standards, not that they actually sucked poo poo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Harbaugh is going to dominate college football, sorry if this offends anyone.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

It's not like he hasn't been there?

At poo poo rear end Stanford. He's going to be able to recruit everyone at Michigan. Nobody's NFL resume is even close to his, which is going to matter to kids who are looking towards the pros. Add that with how popular of a school Michigan is in college football, and I'd expect them to be a top 5 team pretty soon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but Stanford doesn't have the pedigree Michigan has. A lot of guys are going to want to be a part of the band getting back together in Michigan, just because of how iconic that team is. It'll be much easier there. And I definitely expect them to be among the top contenders for a National Championship on a regular basis after everyone gets established.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Alouicious posted:

everyone kid wants to be part of the team that gets regularly shithoused by an SEC or PAC-12 team in the playoffs every year, you're right

Come on. Michigan is probably one of the 5 most recognizable teams in college football. Turning that around is something people are going to remember.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Brian Kelly isn't the spark that Harbaugh is going to be.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Regnevelc posted:

Harbaugh's yearly salary is 5M + incentives. Per Bacon from Hackett.

Maybe he did want to come back.

Told you he'd take a pay cut compared to what he could make in the NFL. Hope he's happy and it works out well for him in Michigan. I do see where he's coming from if the reports about him realizing his style was best suited for the college game are true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AsInHowe posted:

Ann Arbor Torch & Pitchfork is now out of business. 2007-2014.

The Raiders now have a monopoly on :argh:

quote:

FOX Sports Live Verified account
‏@FOXSportsLive
"[The Raiders] offered Harbaugh more money than Michigan. Jim Harbaugh left money on the table." -- @MikeGarafolo

• Locked thread