Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Rollersnake posted:

What combination even results in shots that fly up in the air and gently float back down? :psyduck:

I have absolutely no idea. There was no way to tell from my pause page either, I was in Sheol so it was full of stuff I probably no longer had. I do know they were chocolate milk though since I could charge up as well as rapid fire smaller ones.

Internet Kraken posted:

Think that's how my reflection interacts with ipecac.

Maybe those two plus Little Planet? Because my reflection and ipecac we're all familiar with from Suicide King, but these are shots that fly behind me. In motion it ended being impossible to tell where and when they would land since they'd move erratically and then fall sooooo slowly.

I still managed to tough it out somehow and beat the Lamb with half a heart left :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

Every game goons say you need a gamepad to play (Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls) I've beaten just fine with a keyboard. This game plays fine with a keyboard as well.

It comes down to personal preference most times and what you are used to. I prefer the kb for loads of games that people recommend a controller for, like Rebirth, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, etc. But there are a few games that were basically made for a controller, like Sleeping Dogs, that feel better in comparison.

That being said, Dark Souls is the one exception where I feel a controller is absolutely necessary. How the hell did you manage?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

The default controls are absolute garbage and trying to control the camera with the mouse is awakwrd as hell. I discovered however that operating the camera with my numpad works just fine though. So I rebound all the keys related to camera control and attacking over to the numpad. So I'd say its perfectly possible to play Dark Souls well on a keyboard. Playing with the default controls, however, is an exercise in frustration.

ACTUAL BOI QUESTIONS: How the gently caress am I supposed to get meta boy and bandage girl. I know about the infinite charge tricks now but I can't even get a loving monster manual to appear. I've been fully exploring the cathedral and chest in my recent runs since that seems like my best chance at items but gotten nothing. Its getting pretty annoying. I've never even gotten beyond level 2 in either of them trying to conventional way.

In doing this I did discover that blowing up slot machines in the chest always results in an item pedestal. Kind of interesting.

That still sounds like a pain in the rear end to me, but if it worked for you then kudos dude.

It took many runs before I was able to find the Monster Manual with the right set up in the Chest. But if you have infinite rerolls you are rerolling those first 4 chests yes? The item pool is big but unless you've already seen it in your run it has to show up sometime. It helps to have Guppy's Tail in the Chest too, since that will drop far more chests of any type, which are automatically item pedestals (except for the rare red chest that isnt).

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

AnonSpore posted:

There must be something wrong with me, I just started the second save file.

There is nothing wrong with being a masochist, we dont kinkshame here :)

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Finding Epic Fetus is usually a game winner I've found. Unless you have high luck and Loki's Horns/Mom's Eye, then its very easy to kill yourself without Pyromaniac.

+ Mutant spider takes it from sick to just absurd though.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, so how are people getting through the game with The Lost? The farthest I've managed to get with him is the first floor of the Caves. It really doesn't help that there's just some rooms where it's near impossible to avoid taking damage.

One (or preferably more) of these items are nearly 100% necessary for runs as the Lost: Holy Mantle, 9 Lives, Stop Watch, or Gnawed Leaf. In addition you are hoping for a good set of items in your first Devil Room and ideally a Goat Head as soon as possible so you can take advantage of as many free deals as you can.

The RNG can be a fickle bitch though so have fun resetting until you find a decent 1st Treasure room and then get lucky with the rest. 95% of the time you can probably dodge everything so long as you have enough speed, its a matter of actually dodging it that is the problem. The other 5% are what the necessary items are for.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Huh, here's a head-scratcher for you all. I ran into a bug of some kind, but I have no idea what caused it. I think it might have been some item interaction I had, then again who knows.

Playing as Lazarus on Hard, I found a Joker card 1st floor and picked up Spirit of the Night and the Satanic Bible (no more red hearts after this). I later picked up the Whip (range+dmg), Fire Mind, use two tears up pills, the Lucky Scab, Chocolate Milk, the Pact, and then Technology 1. Somewhere before the Pact maybe and after Technology my tears were suddenly slow and my damage was poo poo. I was baffled because it should have been an ok setup so far, and looked at the pause page and sure enough my tears stat was back at 1, and my damage was back at 2. This is in Depths 1 now where starting stats aint doing poo poo, specially with tech 1. I found a Suicide King for the first time ever and out of frustration I took it and... my stats all went back to how they should be and my fire laser was shooting fast and with the damage it should have? I died shortly after this because I only had one heart and didnt care about the run.

Any idea what could have caused this?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

So, what are the big items to look for when trying to hunt up an infinite monster manual setup? I'm guessing start with Isaac for the D6 and look for a sharp plug and some regeneration method (placenta + a book to read while I wait) is the easiest?

Better to have Pyromaniac and some kind of tears to bomb yourself with (Ipecac, Dr. or Epic Fetus) because otherwise I hope you have a long and good book, cause it might take hours with just Placenta.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Sanctum posted:

If anyone knows how to get through this room in the catacombs without eating poo poo I would love to know your secrets. I encounter this room a lot, and if I can't fly I always get a mouthful.

On a different note, here is a room configuration I have never encountered before. :signings: 2 free items if you have 2 bombs or flying. It was balanced out by having to fight the haunt and then gurglings on the next floor.

For that first room it is possible to get out of it without taking (too much) damage, although it is a bitch. Really it depends on how much damage you have and how well you can tell how many shots it will take to kill a bomb fly. When you enter the room start firing immediately to get a few shots into one of the flies while moving to the center of the room since the two sets of flies will bounce off each other so that if you aren't there you're likely to get hit. You then start shooting one of the flies exclusively off to the side so that he hopefully blows up one or more of his companions off to the side away from you, giving you a bit more room to take out the other 2-3. Even if you dont manage to kill one you'll want to move down to one of sides at this point, focusing fire on the most likely candidate that will blow up away from your bridge. If at this point you havent blown any up you're definitely going to take damage just based on how they bounce around and the limited amount of space you have to dodge. Ymmv after this though because it gets difficult for most people to predict that many moving projectiles while managing their own movement and fire on the fly (heh). Also take this with a grain of salt since I'm playing this out by memory, but I've definitely gotten through those rooms with no damage before.

The other double item room is very rare, rarer even than the single item room with unbreakable blocks that teases the poo poo out of you. I presume it can actually have all four corners have a pedestal item too, because I did see one with 3 once. I didnt write down the seed though, I should have.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Tollymain posted:

excellent adherence to form, lady naga

in my opinion, a roguelike/lite that regularly fucks you out of a win with no real fuckup on your part is a bad roguelike/lite

FTL fits this description I think but I'd still consider it a really good roguelite. Frustrating as hell but still fun. I get where the irritation over the Lost is coming from, but chances are he is how the devs want him to be, an as-is hugely difficult pain in the rear end for us completionist spergs that want to have all the unlocks/cheevos. Since people have done it all legit in the relative short time the game has been out, the fact that its only a small fraction of the people who've played the game probably justifies it for them. P.s. If you want to play a roguelite where 99% of the time it feels like your death was your own fault I can't recommend Spelunky enough.

Anyway, two things I've learned recently after getting RPG; 1) Thunder Thighs/Leo let's you crush red poop without getting hurt! However getting flight negates this benefit (BoI logic :psyduck:). 2) very specific circumstances, but the Callus trinket does NOT protect from Momma Gurdy's insta-spikes. Lame.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah, some rooms seem broken sure, but people are acting like it's a freaking outrage that they'd get screwed over by the RNG where at the end of the day this is all just optional content in a game that is supposed to be somewhat difficult and frustrating, like Logan 5 said a couple of posts upstream, it's just there for sperg completionists to mull over. Just let it go, is all I'm saying, if you have fun getting to 97% and the final 3% is not enjoyable then just don't play it? Why do people care so much about this stupid 100% indicator?

You guys do realize that Edmund was probably trying to annoy the completionist crowd intentionally?

Yes this is a can of worm and I should have not made these posts, I know, for some people it is super important to get 100%, I just don't get it.

Being self-admittedly one of those completionist spergs, I think its just par for the course to post our complaints and ideas for how to "fix" the Lost once you start trying to get runs with him going. Hell, I sure did in this thread. Still got there eventually though.

I think people and spergs who got deep into the 1st game and eventually 100% it werent quite expecting this level of difficulty, and let's be honest, tedium with holding down r, in doing it with this one. Which is exactly why Edmund and the devs made it that way. But I don't think that many people here are truly that butthurt about it being super hard really, they're just venting frustration, and people that rightly dont give a gently caress are reading a bit too much into it. Kinda like most goon debates in any given thread really. Anyway blah blah blah kumbaya let's all chill out etc. etc.

I like hearing people's ideas for Lost changes though, even if they'll never happen. Pretty sure if we had a poll starting with Holy Mantle would be #1.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

golden bubble posted:

It's not the Lost that's bad game design. It's that there are a small portion of bad design decisions in BoI. In normal play, these bad areas are just annoying since you only see then a few times a run, and you should have enough resources to tank the unavoidable hits. But since the Lost has no buffer, every time the bad part come up, they ruin the entire run, instead of ruining just your experience of that room.

To be fair, isn't it kind of unlikely that in a game as modular as Rebirth in room design/layout/enemy spawns that such bad areas would occur with some kind of frequency no matter what? I mean, even if the devs removed some of the ones they felt were truly bullshit, there would still be evil ones they liked and unintentional ones no matter what. I dunno if I'd call that bad game design really, or at least I'd say its subjective.

Very, very subjective depending on whether or not you've gotten real plat god yet.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Your Computer posted:

Enemy spawns and such aren't random or modular at all, they're all specifically designed to be in the rooms they are in, so no.

If you use the D10 to re-roll the enemies, however.. it's you own fault you get a bad room/enemy combo :cheeky:

Well I wasn't claiming they were random, but they are somewhat modular aren't they? I mean there are a lot of room configurations that have you can look at and instantly know what enemies are in them, but there are also some that are pretty varied, and considering adding in the different types of champion versions of enemies if you're playing on hard. I've dunked loads of hours into this game and am still getting surprised by them, especially large rooms. Anecdotal sure, but I can't imagine they managed to get even a large percentage of potential configurations as on purpose as possible. And of course then you could add all the potential floor layouts. Then again I've been so wrong about other assumptions I've made about both BoIs sooo...

Also I never roll with the D10. I've learned my lesson :v:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Johnny Truant posted:

So I left a Chaos Card in a completed room in Womb I, and when I came back later it had turned into a Range Down pill? I didn't pick up or activate anything(to my knowledge) that would reroll items, is this normal?

Only two things I can think of that would have caused this. One is the little bag of pills which turns all cards and runes into pills, but you were in Womb I so unless you got a black market and picked that up its unlikely. The other is walking over the floor of one of the dice rooms but that would probably be obviously what caused it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Testekill posted:

I love getting the D100 far too much. It's yet to gently caress me over and it's so fun just randomising my items and trying to adapt on the fly.

Yeah, my opinion on Bob's Brain has come around. With pyromaniac you have nothing to fear and if you have high enough range then you should never really be getting into a situation where you're exploding yourself.

You are either very lucky or havent abused it too much then. It can make you an unstoppable machine of death or give you the worst possible loadout possible. I tend to get greedy/curious about what my next build will be with it and end up with something horrible that cant kill poo poo or outright kills me, or I run through every item and it resets me to base stats. Last time I had it I had 4 giant Ludovico scythes and I still rerolled like a fool.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Holy gently caress guys, how is the worst change not mentioned anywhere in either the patch notes or here? You can no longer bomb into shops, curse rooms, double locked rooms, etc. from adjacent secret rooms, either with bombs or some kind of exploding shot (ipecac, fetus, etc.). I've tried several times and can confirm.

I really loving hope this is a mistake and unintentional, cause it is the woooooorst.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

jerkstoresup posted:

Do Bloody Lust and Holy Shield work together? Or does Bloody Lust require that you actually take damage to get a damage boost?

Do you mean the Holy Mantle or the Trinity Shield? Either way the answer for both is no, you need to actually be hit once for the damage boosts.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
FMF0 4WXN

Sometimes the game just wants you to win via overkill I guess.

Which I guess I have time for now:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm a couple of Cain runs away from being able to do this, I died with like two hits left on The Lamb on hard with a goofy-rear end 20/20/Soy Milk/Cricket's Body/Lump of Coal run. That fucker's just so boring now.

Does 20/20 do anything with soy milk? I stopped picking up soy milk agaes ago so idek.

Protip: if you have a strength card, dont use it on the boss room. Save it for the devil deal instead, where the extra red heart container it temporarily gives you can be used to buy more devil things :devil:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

drunken officeparty posted:

Does anyone else ever find themselves bombing for the secret room even after you've already found it?

Frequently. This is because I'm an idiot, you're not alone.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People always act like the secret of the lost is to get defensive items but really the secret is to get good enough offense that you don't meaningfuly fight anything.

It is an impressive run, but he didn't run into a double Adversay room in the Chest. Just sayin'.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Manatee Cannon posted:

The huge rooms with four Adversaries or two and two Dark Ones are nearly guaranteed damage if you haven't been lucky with items.

I've gotten double Adversaries and double Dark Ones in one hellish room before, I cant imagine quad Adversaries though. Unless you can take down at least one in the early seconds you're going to take damage.

something posted:

Damage immunity from your own explosions, poison touch (but very potent), maybe stompy, your tears becomes bob's rotten head bombs, similar to fetus in a jar but they fly until they hit a wall/rock/enemy like the space bar item does.

I'd roll with that.

I'd imagine that if they gave you bob's rotten head tears they wouldn't also give you pyromaniac immunity. That seems more like how Ed and the devs would roll.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

EvilSlug posted:

Stuff like this is why I love the game so much. The occasional stupidly overpowered build or combo is an enjoyable break from the usual challenge.

Yeah. I had a run recently where I had the Blank Card, Starter Deck, and a Jera/Perthro Rune.

Also, red chests in the Cathedral apparently always have a pedestal item in them? This was the result of cloning lots of them with the Jera, and they all had items:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 18, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You just were cloning a red chest that happened to have the guppy's item in there. Since they can't repeat the same item youre getting different things.

Ahhhh, that makes more sense. There were two red chests so they both must have had items in them, because none of the stone chests had any items.

I broke the game later in the Chest. Breakfast, breakfast everywhere!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Atomicated posted:

Is there an online resource that lets you know what items you need to pick up to finish off platinum god? I know there was a save upload for the original that did something like that.

Not really (afaik), but you could just check your collection page versus this one: http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Collection_Page. Just ignore Isaac's Heart, the Soul, the Body, the Mind, the D100, and Godhead.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Look at the bullshit that can arise thanks to unbombable shop/special room walls and a moon card.

This is still the worst thing about the last update.

Although to be honest your run was already over since you have the Guillotine, imo

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

muahahahahhahah

e: welp it got bigger

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 17, 2015

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Nighthand posted:

Finally managed the infinite reroll with sharp plug, wager, epic fetus and pyromaniac. Got the monster manual in the chest, rerolled for half an hour, and got the little assholes. Now all I need is Godhead, which I must have missed on a floor I didn't get a god room or something, because I rerolled everything into breakfast and didn't see it.

Vic Boss posted:

Sometimes it's just not in any item pool in a given run.

Have fun!

Actually iirc this isn't exactly true, Godhead doesn't work like Fate. Its something to do with the fuckery with special items, but you can keep rerolling past Breakfasts in the God room and can still get God Room items if you haven't seen them before. Its just a huge pain in the rear end and takes forever as the chances that you'll keep getting breakfast instead of godhead are high.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

watho posted:

Can't the coin-eyed shopkeepers drop The Quarter as well?

Pretty sure all shopkeepers have always had a low, low chance at dropping the Quarter, I had gotten it several times before Afterbirth.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I just legit beat Ultra Greed with the Lost.

I'm not good at this game, just too drat stubborn.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Literally the past 10 times I donated to the greed machine it jammed after no more than 4 coins. I had at least 35+ cents each time too.

Besides the greed and keeper stuff I still have to beat mega satan with every character too :suicide:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
All I pretty much have left is beating Mega Satan with a most of the characters, but god it is such a slog trying to get Angel rooms, or get lucky and find dad's key/get out of jail free card.

There is nothing worse than getting one key piece and then never seeing another angel room.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

AbDomen posted:

Conversely, all I have left is picking up Mega Blast from a devil room, and I keep bitching about how I get too many angel rooms. :(

(Seriously though, exit game, continue, angel statue will reappear and you can get both key pieces from the same room.)

Sonuvabitch, does that really work? I never thought to try it.

Also are angel rooms even less likely to have an item now? I feel like since they added a few new things that can spawn in there instead, like 8 times out of 10 there is no pedestal item.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I just finished up all my completion marks by beating Mega Satan with the Lost, with less-than-starting damage homing triple shot tech X on my last Dead Cat life.

That being said, is the Guardian challenge even loving possible? Who even designed this poo poo? It isn't merely insanely difficult, that I could maybe deal with. Its more just a pray to god you get loving lucky with loads of health all the time and that your stupid punching bag doesn't walk into poo poo and get itself killed asap.

I may be experiencing some rage at how unfair and unfun this challenge is compared to the rest of the game. I mean, at least with the other nerfs and dumb balance stuff that gets complained about all the time you have some agency. Guardian is 100% an awful slogfest that doesnt really challenge you in any interesting way, it's like the worst escort missions from any game ever condensed into its purest lovely form, and on purpose.

e: well I beat it, but I stand by my rant above

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 5, 2015

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
All I have left to do now is pick up Mega and Sworn Protector!

Que the resetting until I find the goat head 1st floor...

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Power of Pecota posted:

You've presumably got Eden tokens, burn through those first. I had I think 45 when I filled out the Keeper's card because I play a lot of Eden, and I got Mega twice burning through them.

For Sworn Protector I did Isaac runs to reroll the angel room items and/or key pieces and got a Sharp Plug run where I could reroll both like 7 times. I had to reroll away a Sacred Heart which made me really sad, but totally worth it.

I do have a bajillion eden tokens, but no need. Chaos is the best item:

Just Sworn Protector now, gonna reroll angel rooms.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Welp, this is the second time that I got instantly teleported to the Void after beating Mom. Does it not have the closed door effect applied to it at first like the other floor down trapdoors?

I mean, its where I wanted to get eventually, but not when I basically only have a pea shooter versus Delirium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I swear this is the only game I've ever actually wanted to get all the achievements for and this is torturing me

Inzombiac posted:

Hey Isaac?
What's up with this boss room?

HEY ISAAC

All I can hear in my head is Griffin McElroy's voice saying this.