Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Thanks Rock Bottom+Soy Milk combo for making Tainted Cain runs take a reasonable amount of time :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

And with that Tainted Apollyon win I've now fully closed out the Alt Path! Never have to do Mines/Ashpit again! But Downpour II will still be seeing me for a long time :)

Regardless of his unfinished state, I do prefer Tainted Apollyon to normal Apollyon by quite a bit. Getting a nice swarm going can counter whatever other badness happens to you on a run and I do like that. Much more reliable than Void is at doing that.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The purple skulls that shoot bones super fast are my most hated in there and also what's with those super tiny carrion queen enemies you can barely see where you're supposed to hit them? Just weird. Many a tainted lost attempt of mine died on Ashpit...

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I was pissed off with Soul of the Lost because I used it thinking I could pick up a free devil deal like he can. Nope! Bullshit.

I feel like in games I will always want to do Basement 1-->Basement 2-->Downpour II-->Caves 2 cause it avoids Labyrinth curse and I get more shops and potential deal rooms. I feel like Caves is the worst time to get Labyrinth curse and that guarantees you won't get it on Caves floors. I don't think Downpour/Dross is any harder than Flooded Caves or even Catacombs.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 14, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

It's good but to get it you always have to do the mirror realm and the chase and I think on non-unlock runs people just don't want to be bothered with all that.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I like the small pins cause they at least warn you. They drove me nuts at first but ive developed a sense for when theyre around.

Maybe my most hated are those red bone meat enemies you can see from the very start that fire in the cardinal directions. Hard to get a clear shot at them and now they can go ablaze and be even more annoying.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Had a GOOD cursed eye run for maybe the first time in my Isaac playing history. Took it as blind item but ended up with Quad Shot and Tough Love to go with it and that made a real good combination that won true ending even with so-so damage. A miracle. I honestly don't think I have ever finished out a cursed eye run before.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 14, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Just starting with flight makes Azazel still really really strong if nothing else. Same deal with Tainted Forgotten--starting with flight is huge.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Some infuriating things messed me up trying to finish out Tainted Eve's post-it.

Had one run going well going for true ending. Had cleared most of the depths 2 so just put the negative on the secret door immediately. Looking around the floor I found a crawlspace. Cool! Go down in it and it looks like a black market! Sweet! And I have some hearts to trade so maybe they'll have something nice down there...except it's somehow an I AM ERROR ROOM!!! That's never happened to me before and now my run is hosed and I can't unlock anything.

Another run I had a ton of DPS upgrades--8-inch nails, Synthoil among others got me 10 damage before I'm even out of the caves. Get an Emperor? card so I'm gonna try to get even stronger. It's Mom. I beat her and get some HP. Not bad. Except...I have no way to leave. So had to restart. Bullshit.

Another run sees me not have a key so I skip the 2nd floor item room(and also can't go to the downpour II that I like to do..) but a planetarium spawns on the very next floor!! Awesome!! But I still don't have a key. So I'm doing the floor looking for one and there's a crawlspace. Nice! Looks like a black market again. Ok I'm sure that thing from before won't happen again as I'd never seen it and that must be super rare...EXCEPT IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!! I AM ERROR AND IM hosed. Missed the planetarium. Next floor got an angel deal that had Faith for a much-needed tears up. Decided to explore the rest of the floor and lo and behold another planetarium! A miracle. It's...it's...The Bible. Because I took faith. Are you loving KIDDING me. Went into a curse room also the bible. Ended up being too weak on this run.

Finally did beat it though. Fruitcake is a killer item on her. Only 10 achievements left before 100%!!! And one of them is feeding that idiot battery bum until it pays out 5 times. It never pays out!!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 18, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

potaties posted:

Tainted Lazarus sucks so god drat much. I was 4 seconds short for boss rush after like 2 hours of trying, made it to Hush instead, got him to like 10% HP and then took like 8 consecutive hits so I had to flip, then got down to 1 HP a second time and said gently caress it and hit the Plan C I was going to use for Delerium. I think he's easily harder than any other character and also the gimmick isn't fun and all my runs take for-loving-ever. The run before that was a Tainted Eve that went Bossrush > Hush > Dark Room > Mega Satan > Delerium which is basically the best thing ever, so I guess it's fair, but drat I am going to struggle to finish T. Lazarus' note.
Theyre going to buff him at some point--what jve read is when you pick up an item itll add a random one from the same pool to the other. So might be best to put him on hold till that happens.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The hardest achievement in this game will be getting battery bum to pay out 5 times. I think I've got it twice and just did a run where I paid him literally about 150 cents and it didn't pay anything. What the hell!

Got a very close shave of a Tainted Eden true ending victory on that same game to close out the True Ending path. Seemed pretty comfortable but of course my first hit on the Beast fight gave shard of loving glass. But my very last heart was Mom's Knife and I had stopped bleeding at that point, and was able to finish it off. Whew!

One neat thing, was that when I got a Mom's Knife build in the game, my next build's active item was Blue Hourglass. So if I got hit I could just redo it. And every subsequent reroll was the exact same--so I was able to get all the way to the Beast fight without having to change!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 18, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The bed one was my last AB+ achievement also lol

or one of them anyway. I specifically remember restarting until I got the room right next to me at the beginning.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

comingafteryouall posted:

Three Apollyon runs tonight trying to get dad's note. First one ends when I forget to take the fool with me into the mom fight. Whatever, I'll just do it again. Second one, I get a crawl space on Depths II that leads to a developer room, and traps you with a stairs to the next level, so I use my fool card to get out. I see 8 more cards bombing everything on the level and buying booster pack from the store, but none of them can teleport.

Third run, I run into a crawl space again on Depths II and stupidly think THIS ONE has to be the black market, but get trapped in another development room.

They have to have ramped this up in the last update or something. Because something very similar happened to me the other day and I just now today had it happen AGAIN doing tainted lost runs. And I'd never seen it at all before.

When you go to the dark room on tainted lost it only lets you take one of the four devil deals. Dumb!! Let me take them all there.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

No Wave posted:

Another question in that line - did hosts used to spawn under skulls as often as they do now? It seems like every other skull has a host under it.

It's always been pretty common from what I can remember.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Just had the ultimate Tainted Lost run with Triple Shot, Paschal Candle, Apple, Tough Love, Ghost Pepper, Holy Light and Tractor Beam. Of course with Perfection trinket. Mega Satan fight didn't give me delirium portal. gently caress YOU. Now I got these Haunted Chests to deal with.

Mega Satan got absolutely bulldozed too even through his boss armor. Didn't get a single attack off.

All I have left now is Delirium on 3 different guys(TLost, TLaz, and TEden) and boss rush+Hush on TLaz. Guess I'll just do Chest runs until it gives me Delirium.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 19, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

widespread posted:

Note to self: CURSED EYE SUCKS IN SHEOL, gently caress IT AND ITS BIRTHER. Almost had my Normal Sheol mark for Judas done. Then Satan was a bit too happy with bullets and I should have just Bible'd right then and there to save myself the trouble.

That said, I got Samson's Boss Rush AND Sheol unlocks done at least. And now my game's Everything Is Terrible.

You pretty much shouldn't take Cursed Eye unless you already have Black Candle(removes teleport effect) or you're some sort of master dodger. It drives me insane. But if you remove that teleport effect it's pretty solid

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

And Delirium on Tainted Lost DOWN!!!! Twisted Twins, Birthright, Oculus Rift, 6.50 rate of fire, Huge range, homing tears. Got another Holy Card and got the D-1, duplicated the thing many times on every floor. When I got to Delirium(via Hush) I made the play to drop the card and duplicate it in there. Managed to successfully do it and Oculus Rift kept his nasty projectiles away from me. Just kept moving and let my massive range and homing tears do most of the work and go in on him when he got trapped in a rift. WHEW.

Tainted Lost is a lot of fun in my opinion. Especially since they changed boss trap rooms back to what they were in Flash Isaac...a change in Rebirth that never made a bit of sense to me.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Delirium down as Tainted Eden now. Worst fight in the game with my 2nd least favorite character...most stressful thing I did in this. But I made it with one HP left. Somehow I ended up with a Hierophant card with one HP left and it gave me 3 hearts cause I guess I had tarot. Very glad to never play that character anymore.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Boss Rush and Hush marks as Tainted Lazarus are GOD AWFUL. Most of the issue is getting there because with that character you need to do lots of careful backtracking but for those you need to go go go. I finally managed Boss Rush using Mama Mega and I'm thinking Hush will need that also. I wasn't even close without it

Once that and Delirium are down though, Death Certificate is mine!! So I have that motivating me.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Remember to keep an eye out for the Strange Key trinket also. This means Mom's Box also has potential to give you Hush access after the time limit.

Yeah I'm looking for that. I've only seen it once though on T.Eden runs.

potaties posted:

Saving the worst for last! I actually did Boss Rush + Hush + Delirium all in one run with Tainted Lazarus yesterday, I made it into the boss rush room at 19:59 somehow (I had to leave behind the Negative until afterwards cause I had no time!) and that was the fastest time I've gotten on him. Normally SO much time has passed by the time I hit Caves 2 just because of all the backtracking. One half of him had Monstrance from a Sacrifice room, and Gnawed Leaf was in the boss rush room, so about 50% of the Boss Rush went really smoothly! When I was in Womb 2 I found the Strange Blue Key trinket thing that lets you go into Hush regardless of your time, which is good because I was at like 45 minutes. Already had killed Hush with that Plan C before, but took him out again and then beelined for Delirium by guessing which room was his with a World Card and he died reasonably quick all things considered, he turned into a Pin and just shredded himself on the Monstrance aura.

I just finished Tainted Lazarus tonight and I'm super happy that I'm free because he really sucks. T. Laz, T. Lost, T. Eden, T. Jacob, and regular J&E are all completed notes for me now and they're probably all the hardest and/or least fun (except T. Lost, I actually had fun with him but he was still pretty difficult.) Meanwhile I have like nothing done on several other characters still, and I'm still catching up since I never played Rebirth before Repentance so I have a lot of marks for the non-tainted characters to go.

Thanks. That gives me hope! lol

Edit: Well I took down Hush thanks to two emperor cards but Delirium was too much. What an obnoxious, obnoxious fight. But at least now I don't have to rush to it anymore and can go to Chest to power up my guy/guys first.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 22, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

And I did it!! Unlocked the Death Certificate after a laborious 1.5 hour affair with Tainted Lazarus. The final battle with Delirium was very satisfying cause I had Dr Fetus, Rocket Bombs, Poison Bombs, Fire Bombs. So I got to pump that guy full of lead. Felt good. I don't totally know what Death Certificate does but I've heard it's cool so I'm anxious to see it. Now all I have to do is find those stupid battery bums and get every item/trinket and I've 100%ed the game!

I was ready to flip my poo poo if Mega Satan didn't open up the portal to Void...

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 23, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The deck is way too stacked against you as him for sure.

Didnt trinkets used to be on the items post-it? I looked and was surprised I only have yet to have five items. I remember a trinket put me to 100% on AB+

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I had no idea the sneeze buffed your brimstone as Tainted Azazel and just bulldozed everything anyway :D

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Luna from a first-room-spawned Planetarium was *vital* for my Tainted Lazarus Delirium kill. I can give it that :D

It's definitely only worth trying to force a Planetarium on Ascent runs with certain characters. For others the best play with them is to know what conditions can spawn them so you know when to look for them.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Greenplastic posted:

These tainted Lost runs are NOT snowballing! The very first one I did took me through the Chest, but the next 30 or so have been super weak :(

Well make sure you get into those Boss Trap rooms and fight for them. I even fought for the Range upgrades as I'd say those are more important for T. Lost than any other character. Take risks cause if you don't you're gonna lose anyway.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sharkitten posted:

The new stages are cool and Ridiculon's music for all the new floors is much much better than crap like the Womb song he was doing before

also I wish Siren were playable :3:

I think my least favorite overall of theirs is Catacombs. My god it's just racket!! I feel like they've gotten way better though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

goferchan posted:

I know it's not new if you played Antibirth, but the mudeth Cellar theme hypes me up so much. Completely makes up for all the 2x2 rooms filled with spiders that spawn egg sacs that spawn more spiders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87FHJ4nHMc

I remember liking the normal Cellar theme when Rebirth initially came out but over time I found it too loud. This one is really cool though. If I cared to put in the effort I'd like to see a mod where you can put these songs in to replace sometimes and then randomly select one if you like both versions.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Any spike trap rooms give major anxiety as Tainted Keeper. Also that room you see in the womb with the vertical line of shooting heads you gotta somehow get past.

Sometimes it's the only way through too and you can't back out of it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I just don't have most of the problems with Jacob and Esau that many seem to have. I think the worst thing with them for me is the awkward controls for dropping your cards/trinkets. And of course the separation on the Beast fight is not good. But since I finished the game I've been running them to see if I was just crazy or not and I am fairly strong run after run--have won Alt path, True Path, Light path and Dark path almost consecutively(used Esau Jr not knowing about the bug and ruined a probable alt-path win). Didn't have anything that I'd call overpowered during these runs and didn't use any donation machine money.

There are definitely a few drawbacks but overall the strengths of this character outweigh the drawbacks for me big time.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Devil Rooms are still usually worth checking and you can generate more per run on average than angel rooms. So its more equal now.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

checking out a devil room reduces your angel room odds relative to another devil room though, iirc

It only matters on the first one. After that it's just an even split no matter what. I think it's kind of arbitrary you can't force another angel deal but oh well. You can increase your angel deal percentage pretty easily by donating 10 cents to a donation machine on a particular floor and/or playing a bum beggar till it pays out, if one is available.

My general policy is check the first devil deal if I have the health to take one and don't go in if I don't. Maybe force an angel deal if I have a reroll device since I can reroll the key piece. Help now is always better than help later. And Angel deals can whiff pretty hard still.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 21, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

One thing I liked in Enter the Gungeon was how once you unlocked a new gun or item it was pretty much guaranteed to appear in the next run you did. I've had four items left to pick up since I unlocked everything two months ago and they will. Not. loving. Appear. It's so obnoxious.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I take it Death Certificate is super rare. It certainly looks like that item is supposed to remedy this.

That's one of em. Also Berserk, C-Section(I know you can get this with DC somehow or spindown dice), Echo Chamber. I guess what I could do is just restart games with Isaac and look for a secret room on the first floor with an item and reroll it till it goes my way.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to get boss rush as tainted laz, this feels impossible unless I get lucky with mama mega

Wait for him to get buffed that's how :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sockser posted:

I do Downpour 2 a lot just to get a second boss item,
but gently caress going to the mines unless I'm going for a mother run

I think downpour 2 is always the right choice--2nd boss item, blind choice in the item room, good for overall consumable farming, and avoids a caves Labyrinth floor which imo is the worst time to get that curse.