Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Recently I've been watching Bisnap playing this game, and the guy has probably spent way beyond a thousand hours playing the original BoI. In one video I recently watched, he answered a question he'd gotten a lot lately, whether or not he would continue playing BoI after Rebirth comes out and his reply stuck with me; "no one will ever want to play BoI after Rebirth comes out." In his opinion, it's literally better at everything.
I'm stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Edmund wants to drive home the point that jesus does not love us :smith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You guys should check out the Steam community hub for the game, there are people threatening to kill themselves Live if the game doesn't launch ASAP :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I thought you were joking about this but there really actually are people threatening to kill themselves over this dead baby poop shooting game.

Dead manbaby game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bet you could shoot a lot of poop with the tears of all these manbabies.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not going to read this thread anymore because of ~*~spoilers~*~ but holy poo poo this game is so good. They really did improve everything!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to force scaling in this game?
If I go fullscreen, it scales it up too much, in fact, it zooms in so much that I can't even see the v1.0 on the title screen.

Maybe this has been answered in the thread, but there have been ~1000 posts since I checked yesterday and that's like looking for a needle in a haystack. :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iny posted:

Drag the window border. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Well I meant scaling it in general. In other words, being able to scale it while being fullscreen too.

The scaling in this game is really annoying, it allows you to scale out a lot horizontally but if it gets too much vertical space it zooms everything out. As someone without a 16:9 (mine is 16:10) screen, this means that it literally does not show the entire screen if I go fullscreen.

It's not a common problem these days probably, but my two screens are 5:4 and 16:10 while the game seems to want no less than 16:9 when it comes to height. As I said, it zooms in so much that I can't even see the "v1.0" on the title screen.

e: and yes I am fully aware that I can play in windowed mode, this has to do with my distance from the screen and also ~*~my immersion~*~.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The reason it does that is because the rooms themselves are rectangular and it would otherwise have to zoom the camera further into the room horizontally but not vertically, making it scroll for only like a third of the room length to either edge, which would basically be vomit camera vision for some people. But then again, people would still probably prefer that to "not being able to play at all in fullscreen" so :shrug:

It could use black bars. The original doesn't do it right, but spidermod words perfect in 1680:1050. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

The loving donation machine keeps jamming up after like 4 or 5 coins, is anyone else having the same issue?

It's probably random in the good old BoI style of "gently caress you". It's a shame that so much randomness is still involved.

Rocketlex posted:

Luck is actually not important at all and the game's been very purposefully designed that way. Every room is crafted to be beatable with a bare minimum of abilities (hence stuff like The Purist being a thing.) What this means is that every build is technically viable and can win the game, with the quality of the build only determining the difficulty of victory, not the possibility.

Binding of Isaac is a great game.

..and I couldn't disagree more with this. Well, the first part anyway. I've spent so many hundred hours in the original game that I couldn't possibly say it's a bad game, but it (and unfortunately this game too) has it's fair share of "HEY GUESS WHAT, HAVE SOME DAMAGE". There are so many rooms where you literally can't avoid taking damage, and that could easily either spell your doom or rob you of an achievment. Some may argue that most (not all!) rooms have some way of avoiding damage, whether that is having flight, massive damage or some way to damage the whole room.. but even still, getting the no-damage achievements etc. is a lot up to luck.

Though.. that, dead baby jokes and potty-humour aside, game still owns :cheers:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BlackFrost posted:

Hey so which item makes it so that you teleport out of a room the moment you take damage so I can add it to my "never pick this item up under any loving circumstances" list? I have no idea what caused that but it killed a pretty good run I had going.

Wondering about this as well, but I think one of the items that do this might actually be the Lucky Foot.

e:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Cursed eye. It's bad.

Wait, which one is that? Charged multi-shot?
Guess I've actually gotten that early on all of my Cain runs (like, 3 runs). Huh.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 6, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

Azazel + Ludovico Technique = easy Mama's Boy

Azazel in general seems to be the way to go if you want no-hit achievements. Not having to rely on RNG to give you flight in order to avoid certain guaranteed-damage-rooms really helps.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any "goon approved" source of BoI:R knowledge? So far I know about http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/ and http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth but they're both missing a lot of stuff and it'd probably be fun to contribute. Then again, maybe the moderators/web admins already have a backlog and "contributing" would just increase their workload :(

It's both fun and really frustrating how nothing is known about the items yet.
Rebirth seem better at actually telling you what an item does, but it seems there are still so many hidden effects on items (a little bit of speed up here, a little bit of tears down here), which is a shame since those things add up and could completely screw your run.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Most (all? I don't really know) of the champs that explode like bombs are dark green, and the ones that shoot out bullets on death are reddish.

I'm preeeeetty sure that it's all randomized per game. I've gotten exploding red ones, bullet blue ones, fly-giving green ones, etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Your game may be bugged then, because its been really consistent for mine. Red turns meaty and respawns, green leaves a creep trail, olive green moves faster, violet spits out an extra bullet, powdery blue explodes into bullets, etc. etc.

I might also be an idiot and have a hard time discerning their color with my way-too-dark screen :downs:
That said, just minutes ago discovered that you could actually turn up/down gamma ingame. That's the best thing ever! My screen evidently sucks, because I can't actually edit the gamma manually other than choosing between different (terrible) presets, so being able to make the game "lighter" ingame is so good.
Unmodified, curse of darkness actually makes the game so dark that you can't see enemies on my screen :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SuicideSnowman posted:

Man I'm really starting to hate those enemies in the womb that hide underground, pop up in a random location and fire 3 shots at you. I've had a couple runs in a row ended by them.

Lumps. Am I right in that in the original game they wouldn't spawn directly underneath you? Not only that, they can also spawn right next you to and instantly shoot you now. Every room with them seems to be pure RNG up to whether you get hit or not :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Volt Catfish posted:

I thought people were bein' whiny but I didn't realize how how much I missed the original music until I re-listened to the old OST :(

I also miss the sound effect that used to play when you got something, made me feel all tingly inside.

I didn't want to complain before, but the new soundtrack is terrible compared to the old one :(
There are some good and some bad (you know which) sound effects, but overall it's the music that changed for the worse. As far as I could find out it's because Edmund is an idiot and didn't want Baranowsky? If someone made a hack or something that allowed for the old music to play I'd download it in a hardbeat.

It's not even that the new music is bad, it just doesn't fit the game at all unlike the old music which was really eery and fit perfectly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Am I missing something or does this room literally require you to take 1 heart of damage unless you have flight?

I mean, there are several rooms that you're basically doomed to take damage in, but I haven't seen one as blatant as this yet.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, the Cursed! challenge was super fun. I got really lucky with Guppy's Paw and Dead Cat, so the way I did it was to die over and over and then make the 1 heart I got when respawning into 3 soul hearts :downs:
Beat Mom on the last life, to boot!

e: And on another run I got Converter + Guppy's Paw. Unlimited soul hearts!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I read that they nerfed Dr Fetus, but god drat that much?! :psyboom:
They're so weak you can't even split a big spider with a single bomb, and some larger enemies take like 6+ bombs. I still managed to beat Demo Man on my first try somehow, but it certainly wasn't easy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

This belongs in the OP.

I hope the lil guy never gets nerfed.

Pretty sure McMillen hates fun (see: Original Brimstone, etc. vs. nerfed), so I'm going to be really sad when this cute fella goes from amazing to useless :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Just fought a boss called The Adversary, that I don't remember seeing anyone talk about. Looks kinda like Azazel, but with bandages all over. He fights with a curving Brimstone, making the screen dark, and making earthquakes from slamming the ground.

Hate him so incredibly much. I might just not have figured it out yet, but it seems like you're more or less bound to take damage when he decides to fire his brimstone. He has a curved brimstone. Curved. Brimstone. (Actually I'm pretty sure it's homing, as hosed up as that sounds)
It's okay, I didn't want those hearts anyway :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Head posted:

Is there a glitch with mongo baby? I picked it up and all of my familiars disappeared. I also copped a tears downgrade for some reason

There's definitely a glitch. First time I picked him up, I had like 3 familiars already which really sucked... but the next floor I got the Sack of Pennies and suddenly all my familiars were back :confused:

Unrelatedly; gently caress Steven :colbert: I've played around 140 hours now and the only two things I'm missing is dying 100 times and picking up Steven (and the Scissors, I guess).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Key Beggars were discussed recently in this thread, and I just got the chance to actually gamble on one in a recent run (Skeleton Key).
Going down to 50 keys (in other words, including any I got from chests), I ended up with like 2 red chests, 2 golden chests and 3 grey chests. Did I have the worst luck ever or are they completely useless? :psyduck:

I can't image a situation where it's worth it to spend 10+ keys to get a handful of cents and a bomb or two.

e:

dis astranagant posted:

Lazarus is a worse Isaac without the D6. He starts with -1 luck and 17.75 range instead of 23.75.

Killing him off puts him back to zero luck, 28.75 range, 1.25 move speed, and 4.2 damage from 3.5.

I'm assuming people have datamined this, is there a good resources for all these numbers? Both Platinum God and the gamepedia wiki seem to have a mixture of actual numbers and pure guessing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

I'm looking at the values in cheat engine. I'm assuming that the damage bonus is a multiplier since it's a rather unusual number otherwise.

:doh: I hadn't even thought about CE. Time to go diggin'.

President Ark posted:

When they pay off, though... :signings:
Speaking of :signings:, why haven't I seen more people praise Mom's Key? That thing is so broken. I've gotten like 30c, five bombs and a handful of keys from a single chest with that item. It's so wonderful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Cain starts with the 1 luck given by the foot and I just gave him a luck up pill and the display shows 2 bars. The next 5 pills each added a bar. You probably lost some luck somewhere.

Speaking of losing, without bothering to check myself; do enemy HP scale with the floor they're on? I can't imagine I've gotten consistent dmg downs, yet enemies take more shots to kill further down than they did earlier. An example off the top of my head are the "pooplings" taking 1 hit to kill in the basement, then two hits to kill from caves onward.

Or are they just a different entity, sort of like how the Fatties shoot tears after a certain floor?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I've started abusing the "exit the game" thing to keep runs from dying with The Lost and I hate what I've become. It's not fun dying 400 times but it's also not much fun gaming the system and dying dozens of times and restarting the game dozens of times.

I'm pretty sure you just hate The Lost. Which you should. Because he's literally bullshit.

I really wonder if they'll ever patch the game (at all, or) to the point where you don't just randomly take damage (enemies teleporting into you, explosive enemies spawning next to the entrance, room-filling RNG moving enemies, and the list goes on). I lost a perfectly beautiful The Lost boss-rush to Loki teleporting right inside of me, and countless more to other stuff that's out my control. It's a loving awesome idea, but just completely poor game design (given that the game isn't fair. At all).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

I'm still not sure I believe Montro's Lung is an item you can find, I've only gotten it from rerolls. Just had a pretty fun Eden run where I got it through a D4 on Cellar II or so, got some decent damage ups and a faster charge rate, and then Polyphemus dropped the room before the Lamb.
Took forever to charge, but it was literally two shots. :allears:

I've only gotten it three times and every time it has completely sucked :( I read (in this thread, I think?) a sentiment in which I agree; its charge time is way too long compared to Brimstone et al., especially considering it's damage potential. Too often does it knock enemies away from the rest of the damage.
That said it's potentially one of the most fun items, vomiting a huge torrent of death upon your enemies.

Sebbe posted:

Wow, I just had the easiest Purist run. (Seed: 1YET YPPC)

Reminds me of my Purist run, I saved it for last and it was a perfect victory lap. I got more or less every damage up you can imagine plus Cancer, I was throwing scythes at the speed of light and it was wonderful. Felt really good after spending hours on the "bad" challenges.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Re: Hard Mode, you get less drops, more champions, less drops from champions, more curses and bosses no longer drop health. It absolutely sucks.
One time I went all the way to Mom without getting item rooms or shops (except the first floor, obviously). Apparently Hard Mode is "the way the game is meant to be played", but that's a load of crock. Half the fun of the game is getting interesting items and/or item combinations, and not getting anything kinda defeats that whole point.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

I thought it was implied that it was Satan masquerading as God who did that.

Where was this implied? :confused:

Also, I agree that God is a logical expansion boss. The last expansion was all about the undead versions of previous bosses/enemies and such, it would be neat to have a "holy" version as well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Welp. Just died to The Lamb on Hard with The Lost. Ah well at least I already have the unlocks.

Haha, good one! Playing The Lost for fun, that's gotta be the joke of the year! :xd:

In other news, apparently the game loves me. I've been doing a ton of Isaac runs trying to get the last couple of item pickups for RPG and it was getting a bit boring, so I decided to do an Azazel run (since those are always hilarious)...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

Do you use f.lux?

:psyduck: That wouldn't explain it, since f.lux changes your monitor settings and doesn't change the actual pixels in memory. Since a screenshot is essentially just a memory dump, I literally have no idea how he managed to get that sepia tint.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I honestly have no problems with the idea of Lost as he is, it's an insane challenge for sure but if in theory if you're good enough at the game it's perfectly doable.

However.. The game isn't perfect. It's not fair. Like, at all. There are an insane amount of ways you can take damage purely from RNG, like enemies popping up underneath you, teleporting into you, literally filling the screen with projectiles, etc. It's really weird that 1) they hadn't thought about it and 2) that they haven't patch it yet. We're talking a few minutes of programming here to include a few conditions here and there (mainly "don't pop up at the same coordinates as the player").

And speaking of programming oversights, it seems a few enemies have entirely random attack patterns and thus can, in the worst situation, rapid fire for far too long (looking at you, Tumors!)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Almost like it's a Roguelike or something. Crazy.

Wow, I've never seen a more fitting red title.

Lady Naga posted:

Taking unavoidable damage and items that are strictly downgrades are things that are prominently featured in the genre and just because Isaac is real time, not turn based doesn't somehow change that.

"Featuring prominently in the genre"[citation needed] doesn't make it good design. :ssh:
I just think it would be a really fun character if they put a little bit more thought into it.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What's "fair" really, is it fair to play a run where you get 0 damage ups and all item drops are active items which suck?

If you're skilled enough you can still win the game with no stat ups, so yes.

Edit: Which reminds me of another awesome game that really did that stuff right, Shovel Knight. You get all these fancy skills that let you shoot projectiles, get brief invincibility, heal yourself, all that good stuff... but that's all to make the game easier. It's still beatable with nothing but your starting setup and the game is designed around that. It's hard as balls, but it's fair and doable. That's the right way to design a game.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 8, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Logan 5 posted:

To be fair, isn't it kind of unlikely that in a game as modular as Rebirth in room design/layout/enemy spawns that such bad areas would occur with some kind of frequency no matter what? I mean, even if the devs removed some of the ones they felt were truly bullshit, there would still be evil ones they liked and unintentional ones no matter what. I dunno if I'd call that bad game design really, or at least I'd say its subjective.

Very, very subjective depending on whether or not you've gotten real plat god yet.

Enemy spawns and such aren't random or modular at all, they're all specifically designed to be in the rooms they are in, so no.

If you use the D10 to re-roll the enemies, however.. it's you own fault you get a bad room/enemy combo :cheeky:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jerkstoresup posted:

Nope, he copied Rotten Baby to give me a constant stream of blue flies.

That's actually interesting. The way Rotten Baby works is by having exactly one fly out at all times (given that you're firing), so I guess Mango allows you to have two? Maybe three flies at a time?

And speaking of that familiar, has any work gone into understanding how he works? I posted earlier in this thread about a presumed glitch in which he replaces all of your familiars, yet they all come back if you acquire an additional one. Anyone got any idea of how that works? It's one of the items I see very rarely so I haven't really been able to experiment with it myself.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a list of patch notes?

Any news on whether using the original music counts as a mod? How do you even see if your game counts as "modded"? And what's this about Dark Bum?
All I've been able to gather is that enemies now no longer teleport on top of you, so I guess those of us who called it a bug got the last laugh in the earlier The Lost discussion :cheeky:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

I really like speedrunning and I really like BoI but I don't necessarily think the two need to go together.

I really can't fathom that "speedrunning" BoI is an actual thing people do/watch/care about :psyboom:

Do people speedrun yahtzee too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

I honestly don't know why people do it that way. Getting it legit seems to be much faster and doesn't rely on having a particular item combo. I've done those achievements legit. Got Bandage girl during regular gameplay and restart-scummed for the Book of Revelations for Meat Boy. Sure, you don't know which of the two you'll get and once you have the one you want you need to hope that conquest doesn't show up but I'm still not sure if doing it with the Monster Manual is actually worth it unless you happen to get that combo.

Good for you? :shrug:
I've put over 160 hours into this game and I thought all I was missing was picking up Steven. Once I finally got that (earlier this day) I realized I still don't have Bandage Girl. I've had the level 3 version probably 7-8 times by now but apparently never level 4. It sucks and it's literally the worst achievement(s) in the game.