Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Outrun?
move diagonally bro why would you outrun them

Yah the trick to beating Leg Day Satan is to never, ever stop moving diagonally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Issac is way easier than Satan. I've cleared Cathedral and Chest a bunch but can't even unlock the negative because Satan and Sheol are wrecking me. That place has some really mean room designs.

Do it with Azazel. He's fast enough to easily play ring-around-the-rosey with the black leeches, and he's always going to have the damage to shred bosses.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Did doing that get you True Plat God as well?

Also, any indication of an Ending 17? I was kinda disappointed w/ 16

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh, fair. I take it no Ending 17 then, that's pretty disappointing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Well yeah, but everything is easy in this game when you use the character that is broken. Plus if I don't learn to beat it with other characters I won't be able to get their unlocks.

Its really the third form that is tripping me up because it takes so drat long to kill. Satan keeps his feet down for such a short period that I get barely any hits in, plus you're constantly forced to run around to avoid the leeches. It just takes so long that even with a large health bar I get worn down from the full heart damage.

Its crazy how much easier the game is if you get an item that halves damage. It effectively doubles your health bar for the womb and beyond.

That's fair. My basic strat for Satan Legs is literally just never stop shooting and moving. I just run diagonal zigzags and spray everywhere and it chips him down pretty good.

In other news, I got the Bossfucker 9000 setup on Blue. Cursed Tears, Ipecac, Krampus' Head. Walk in with my Ipecac Shotgun charged up, and let it go while I press spacebar. poo poo's dying in half a second flat.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Dear Binding of Isaac: I hate you. So loving much.

Yeah so the Bossfucker 9000 run ended because it was that first run with Blue where you have Blue but can't go past Mom's Heart. EASY chest clear with Blue. GOD DAMNIT. Krampus' Head with Cursed Tears and Ipecac and the Holy Mantle. I was literally gibbing the entire room and just shrugging off the self damage with Holy Mantle. With Blue. Except I couldn't do The Chest or Cath because this game is a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 12, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

gently caress whore of babylon is complete trash. I wonder if it's any different to how it was in the original game. It gives such a pathetic damage bonus. I bet on it at the start of my Blue Baby run and it just completely let me down damage-wise.

Uh, Whore of Babylon is two bars of damage and a bar of speed. It's a great item.

It's actually even better than it was in the original, where it made you significantly bigger and easier to hit.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 12, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Not really. The Brimstone and flight are nice, but unless you get Dark Bum the very limited health mostly balances that.

I can readily clear Satan without picking up any items with Azazel. Like no problem, just shitstomp my way through the entire game without any upgrades. It's not even hard, he's ridiculously good.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

This is not me being a smug goonlord but is the Purist challenge supposed to be hard? Its just a normal run without treasure rooms right? I thought it was pretty easy compared to some of the poo poo I went through in the blindfold challenges. Maybe its all RNG tho~

It can be. People have talked a lot about how much they loving hate the Cursed challenge and I cleared it my first try without any real trouble, I got Taurus and abused the poo poo out of it to have invincibility every time I walked through the doors.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
God gently caress The Adversary. Honestly my most hated boss at this point. Between the homing Brimstone and THE SPIDER SPAM. gently caress SPIDERS. SO MUCH.

E: It cannot be overstated how loving stupid Spiders are as an enemy. Especially the big ones that can leap across the loving room at you in half a second.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 13, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

Monstro's Lung and Spoon Bender don't combo as well as you'd hope. The shots do kinda home in a little, but it's not the Magic Missile Barrage I was hoping for.

Sacred Heart would do it, I think. The tears travel slowly enough that they home like crazy

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
This game is such an unholy piece of poo poo sometimes. I get a Blank Card first floor as ??? and I'm like "oh hey cool I'll look for a Hierophant and clone it like mad, yay having actual health!"

I search, for the next four floors, for a loving Hierophant. Nothing, no cards in general. I get a Satan room, fight/kill Krampus, and get his head. Tough choice, but given my luck so far i go with the Head for murdering power.

FIRST ROOM NEXT FLOOR I GET A HIEROPHANT. gently caress YOU GAME. gently caress YOU SO MUCH YOU SPITEFUL rear end in a top hat

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Hahaha the run after I had the Hierophant bullshit happen, I got Chaos Card. No Blank Card to go with it, but that was about the most anti-climactic end to a run ever - I'm white-knuckling my way through Cath with no health and bad items, walk into Isaac's room, and Hadouken'd him with it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Even if you have the most amazing items possible, you'll eventually get that one room in the womb with red poop right in front of the door and die before you notice it.

Holy Mantle :smug:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

bat duck posted:

Maybe i'm wrong, had the pyro ipecac and habit, dont think I used it enough times to get all upgrades.

Did they add the curse that doesent let you see what items you pick up just to say "gently caress you" or because they figured the whole game shouldn't be skill based but purely based on luck? Picked up mirror with bomb and completely ruined a good build. I might have played too much in to short a time, but I'm getting really sick of all the bullshit randomness in this game. So many rooms where I know they were just thinking "haha this is gonna piss them off!" And I can barely get a run going now because I'm so sick of the first few floors using forever on every single room with the starting stats.

With plain old Isaac it's not hard to clear at least Mom's Heart even if your items suck. The game only really starts ramping up the difficulty in the post Womb areas. Not calling you a scrub or anything - this game has an ugly learning curve - but it gets easier to go further with worse items. The mark of people who are really good is when they can somehow spin miraculous bullshit out of completely garbage items. gently caress if I know how they do it sometimes, but I've seen people do runs with terrible items where they just never, ever messed up and never got hit.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kaethela posted:

Don't take damage on the floor or the boss to improve your chances of a devil/angel room. You can't get a devil room on Basement/Cellar 1. Taking a devil deal pretty much guarantees you won't get an angel room the rest of the run.

I'm so tempted to just not even bother going for Angel Rooms anymore, I almost always get garbage Angel Rooms.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What does Guppy even do? I've never gotten him in WotL or Rebirth even though I've put 100+ hours in between the two of them :smith:

(I also don't aggressively seek Guppy items because I've never actually seen enough of them to get him in one run so I've never had any AW SHUCKS I MISSED GUPPY moments)

Also, advice for getting the damned cat trio put together?

E: Just found a really scummy trick with Holy Mantle. Any time you get hit and lose your Mantle protection, save and quit and hit continue. You'll start the room over with Mantle refreshed.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 14, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Really nice combo: two-room charge items (like Shoop Da Whoop) and the battery trinket. Let's me shoot a big laser to clear things out every room.

E: gently caress walking Hosts. They're the worst goddamned enemy in the game.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 14, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Actually the worst enemies are those depressed-looking spiders that run away and spaz out while spitting out more spiders, mostly because you usually don't have anything flashy or powerful at that point and it takes about twenty years to catch and kill them in some rooms.

I hate them too, but they don't just flat out end runs the way walking Hosts do in turret rooms.

Also, love getting unavoidable damage from Mega Fatty. I was already full sprint across the room and BABOOM he leaps and stomps on me in a tenth of a second to ding me and ruin my Angel Room chances for the floor.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I see Crack The Sky is still completely loving worthless.

I'm pretty sure it's actually even more worthless, I remember it tossing more beams around before and actually doing a reasonable amount of damage on the occasions it connected in WotL

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Shoop Da Whoop also seems really bad now. It barely scratches bosses.

I actually like it, if you get it with a 9 Volt or the AAA Battery trinket it charges every room and trivializes a lot of stuff. It's not a good anti-boss item but it does enough damage to smash most regular enemies. I have a feeling its damage scales with your damage.

Now I really just want the 9 Volt, the AAA Battery, and Krampus' Head. Being able to Krampus every room is basically godmode

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Cuntpunch posted:

You probably aren't doing BOILER runs, so if you don't get something reasonably decent in Basement1/2, just restart!

I scum basement 1 so hard. I don't even bother doing the boss, if my first item room isn't solid then I just restart. It's so much easier than doing dozens of garbage runs and hoping they turn around. If your first item room isn't some kind of "I can kill things better" or strong utility item, just hold R. Makes the game a lot more fun.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh god for real the haunt should not be a loving first floor boss. He'd be fine if he didn't come with the stupid mini ghosts, or even if he just didn't send the second and third at you at the same time. The first ghost is reasonable, the two at once with him still floating around is crap

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

Wow look at Mr. Puts-work-into-the-game over here. I just hold R until there is a treasure room attached to the starting room with a good item in it.

That's what I do, I just didn't want to admit to being that lazy :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Bahahaha, I just got carried ridiculously hard by this game. First time in the Dark Room, I'm having first time jitters even though I have loving Guppy (first time, he's p great) with Triple Shot Brimstone and Tammy's Head so I'm playing kinda dumb and down to four hearts. I was being a bad.

Then Gnawed Leaf drops. Cheesed The Lamb by just letting him hump me until he died :laffo:

E: Just did Cat Got Your Tongue, and I don't really get why people hate it. What's the big deal? I didn't even get carried, you just have to wiggle in circles to keep your hairball moving and it shreds things. Think of it like how you'd spin around a ball and chain weapon - keep its angular momentum high so it stays out far and just whirl around until you've got the timing right to swing it in and slap something in the face with it. Abuse your flying!

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 15, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

If I have Gnawed Leaf and have other items such is The Virus, would the enemy take damage during my statue state?

Yes. I didn't realize it at the time, but this is, in fact, how I killed The Lamb. I figured it was my familiar leaving a blood trail on the ground, but he wasn't in the right spot and it was definitely The Virus that fried him.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Surprisingly, Satan's foot does no contact damage (assuming it doesn't hit you). This means you can safely get a pretty significant amount of damage in with orbitals.

Same with Mom's Foot! I discovered this during Cat Got Your Tongue when I bumped into it to smack it with the hairball and was pleasantly surprised to not take damage.

Also, the non-aggressive black flies.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
A screen shot of the stats page with everything labeled with text would be a really good addition to the OP.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Welp, lesson learnt. When you're fighting the final boss don't use a card called Suicide King.

I should feel angry, but I really have no one to blame but myself. With a name like that, what did I expect to happen?

I really loving hate unlocks like Suicide King. I haven't even bothered to touch that challenge because I absolutely don't want the item.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Curse of the Cursed (which is a great name by the way) should be added to normal curse rotation for the duration of April 1st or something.

Curse of the Cursed plus Curse of the Maze :getin:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Widow stops being difficult at all once you realize that if you walk up to her side she will leap back and forth over top of you the entire time you murder her.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man people who hate Eve are crazy. Getting to start with like four pips of damage is amazing

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RatHat posted:

It'll override the Knife unfortunately. Generally items that change how you fire(Knife, Fetuses, Brimstone, Technology ect.) don't stack with each other.

Brimstone+Knife makes you spew a flurry of knives. Some stuff stacks

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kaethela posted:

How the gently caress do you do Cat Got Your Tongue? I can't swing this stupid hairball without bumping into enemies every single time.

The trick to getting range on the hairball is to keep it swinging. You should always be moving in small circles to keep it fully extended, and swing it like a mace. Think of it like a ball and chain weapon - you gotta keep it swinging to keep it extended until the opportune moment and then slam it into whatever you're fighting.

Don't try to just run up from a full stop to whatever and slap it with your hairball, you have to wait for your opportune moment where the front swing of your hairball lines up with a moment where you can step forward to slam it into the face of whatever is getting near you.

It's hard to explain, but really the trick is to constantly walk in small circles to keep the ball moving. I cleared Cat Got Your Tongue on my first try with nothing spectacular for items - possibly even bad items (no speed ups, no HP ups, I don't think I ever got a soul or devil heart, no brimstone or dark bum or anything that trivializes the no-tear challenges) and cleared it comfortably. Once you kill a couple enemies with the hairball and it gets big it does tons of damage to anything it touches. A good swipe at one of the doors on Mom was knocking off 20-25% of her HP once my hairball was fully charged. The worst part of the floor is fighting enemies that die to a tap from the ball and a fly before you get any corpses added to your hairball - fly kills don't build your hairball and building up your hairball is vital to clearing floors.

This weekend I'll make a short video/gif showing what I mean about small circles to keep it swinging.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Koramei posted:

speaking of eden, what's the best eden start people have gotten?

Someone posted a shot of starting with Godhead :stare:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I've actually become pretty fond of the head. Having a one per room homing attack for point-blank self-defense will save your hide on a regular basis. It's the equivalent of six tears' worth of damage, which is nothing to sneeze at. Get Polyphemus and Guppy's Head and :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

So glad I'm never gonna have to do The Lost again. The game is just for fun from here on out.

I set the game down much earlier than I set down WotL specifically because of The Lost. I'm never, ever going to get True Plat God and it just irks me that it'll always be there and I won't ever have the time, patience, skill, and luck to get it, and it sucked all of the fun out of the game. I was really excited for this game and played it like a fiend (I put in like 50 hours over the course of a week or so), then saw The Lost and just kinda lost interest and haven't played it since :(

E: vvvvvvvvvvv that's exactly what I was looking to avoid when I finally decided to quit the game. Like Blue is hard enough, and it irks me that Ed just kind of arbitrarily upped the difficulty until it was too much for me

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 8, 2014