Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I have a request. If you have a pocket active and you pick up a card or pill, the card or pill goes to the front slot and the active goes to the reserve slot. At some point I know I saw a mod that makes it so it doesn't switch away from the pocket active automatically. When I first saw it I didn't subscribe to it because I hadn't played the Tainted characters much, and now I want it but can't find it. Does anyone have a link to it or know what it's called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You’d be surprised. Tainted Keeper and Tainted Lost are two very different playstyles. With Tainted Keeper, despite your fragility, you are incentivized to stay in the danger zone because you have to be close to enemies to make more of your projectiles hit, and to get the coins becore they disappear. With Tainted Lost you want to keep your distance and fire from behind cover. You might be better at the latter.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I am at my WITS' END with Tainted Jacob! My brain just isn't wired to pay constant attention to the game. It's not how I play. Sometimes I space out for a couple seconds. I don't know how I'm going to get anything done with a character where that is a death sentence. At least Tainted Lost gets better items.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 17, 2022

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just make the mod an option that’s off by default. That’s exactly what they did with Missing HUD, now part of the game as Found HUD.

If you’re going to give it some kind of restriction, I think the best solution is to have it only work for items you have picked up at least once before. Simple and effective, and the game already tracks which items you’ve picked up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Getting through runs in a timely manner as J+E is pretty tough in my experience because planning out your build based on what you get and working out which character should get which item takes time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PantsBandit posted:

How were you able to reach the secret shop without the member card?

Member Card wisp.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just remember to damage yourself down to a half-heart outside the sacrifice room and only take the last bit of damage on the spikes. Don’t end up in the Dark Room like I did.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Plus it's hard to overstate the value of always taking the most efficient possible path to the boss room on post-D2 floors.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

…garge…

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Beating Hush opens the path to three floors: Cathedral, Dark Room, and The Void. The first two are the floors that open after finishing Womb II, the ones you passed up when you chose to go to the Hush floor. So you can get back on the same track you were on before. The Void is a third track, and the final floor of that path.

Beating Hush is not the only way to get to The Void, but it is the only guaranteed way. Every boss starting with Mom has a chance of spawning a Void portal in addition to the normal paths upon defeat. The chances increase as the bosses get harder, starting with a 5% chance after beating Mom and culminating in a 50% chance after defeating Mega Satan. Hush is the only boss that guarantees a Void portal for beating it, so if you really want to go to the Void you’ll want to just ignore all that other stuff and pretend that the only way to get there is to defeat Hush. There are unlockable items for beating the final boss of the Void with each character.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

quote:

Reduced the damage enemy Brimstone lasers deal to other enemies to 11 per tick (from 22)

:qq:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's more like the game was great, and each additional DLC up to Repentance added good stuff but also really annoying stuff, so AB+ was when it was at maximum annoyance. It was still good, but that was the least good it ever was. Then Repentance got rid of almost all of the annoying stuff and added a bunch more awesome stuff.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Edmund is a talented creator, and like many very talented creators, his work suffers when he has enough resources to do whatever he wants and nobody to tell him “no, that’s a bad idea.” He’s kinda like George Lucas. Flash Isaac was Episode IV. AB+ was Episode II. Those portals that spawned endless flies and there like four of them in every room for some reason were Jar Jar.

Not sure if saying Edmund makes good games but also he is like George Lucas is more or less insulting than just saying he sucks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't really see how dataminer is worse than 90% of the other active items. Like if i see most of them either they don't do anything useful or i already have a better active i don't want to swap out.

When i see it i give it a pop then put it back. Doesn't seem riskier than eating an unidentified pill.

Like i'm much happier to see it than say the D8 or that plastic bag item.

It is significantly riskier than eating an unidentified pill. The stat increases provided by pills (except for health) are twice the potency of the stat decreases. The stat increases provided by the data miner are equal to its decreases. Furthermore, eating an unidentified pill gives you the advantage of knowing what that pill does. Using the data miner gives you no information about the outcome of future data miner uses.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Issue with the data miner imo is not enough synergy. One of the awesome things about this game is that items vary in quality, but the quality of an item can change depending on the circumstances of your run. The right items and the right know-how can turn a mediocre item into a champion. This is particularly true for active items, where there are a lot that seem mediocre, and are under many circumstances, but figure out how to use them right and they become incredible. However, the data miner has never really had this. For a long time there was no item that made it good and the correct choice was always to skip it or never use it. Boring! Then Repentance came out and now the correct choice is to take it and use it if you have Rock Bottom, otherwise don’t. Boring boring boring!

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh so its like eating the same pill twice got it.

Still not sure why people get so salty about it just don't use it? The treasure pool is the main one ofc theres trash in it.

Well, when it’s a bad effect it’s like eating the same pill twice. When it’s a good effect it’s like only eating one pill. Also, the number of good and bad effects available from the data miner are 50/50, whereas the pill pool bas a bunch of neutral effects and bad effects that can be neutralized by taking them in a safe place. So, to tie back into my earlier point, you can actually learn and get better at taking unidentifiied pills to maximize your chance of a successful run. That’s fun!

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 18, 2022

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Black August posted:

I feel like pills would be a lot more appealing if the pools always only had one bad pill, plenty of the joke/silly pills, and then a rotating-per-seed number of good pills. It'd be a much more fun gamble if you can chow down knowing that only one of them is going to be the stink-flavor jellybean of the batch. Or at the very goddamn least, let Mom's Purse only drop good pills regardless of the pool.

Coward

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Books On Tape posted:

I think I've been playing this game wrong. Each of my runs begins with me constantly rerolling the first floor item room until I get something fun like laser tears or the one where you can walk into blocks to destroy them. My runs all look the same. I think I need to lookup how to unlock more items. I can get by the Isaac or Satan boss doing this but not much further.

Improving at the game means, in part, learning how to make lemons out of lemonade. You can make an amazing run out of not-amazing items, but if you only ever restart until you get an amazing item and lean on that the whole run, you’ll never learn how.

Personally I never restart a run immediately unless the first item is, like, the Data Miner or the Clicker or something truly unusable like that, and there are very few items that bad. Even then, there might be something else about the first floor which makes up for the terrible item, like maybe it has a sacrifice room and a lot of red hearts dropped.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Seems like it would be a better use of your time to IV bag down to a half heart, leave, and come back and do the same thing every few hours. I don't see the point in sitting there monitoring the game so you can do it with perfect efficiency.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, with Azazel you literally just have to keep moving. It’s not trivial but for an experienced player it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Honestly it’s mostly a matter of keeping the stipulation in mind.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pentaro posted:

I just noticed I'm missing the Delirium hard kill with Eden so I've been aiming for that.
I want someone to calculate the odds of getting Mercurius as a starting item two times in a row, because that was some nice serendipity.

I'm not sure but I can give you an idea. The way it works is the game performs this process 100 times:

1. Generate a random number between 1 and 732
2. If the player does not already have an active item, and the item with that item ID is an active item that does not have the noeden tag, give the player that item.
3. If the player does not already have an passive item, and the item with that item ID is a passive item that does not have the noeden tag, give the player that item.

There are 9 passive items with the noeden tag and 171 active items total. Thus, the odds of getting Mercurius on any given Eden run is equal to the odds of rolling a 732 on a 732-sided die, but you get to reroll until you either roll higher than 180 or until you have rolled 100 times total. I don't know how to calculate that.

The odds of it happening twice in a row is that number to the power of two.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Brosnan posted:

Wow. I didn't touch mods other than EID, but the quality level of these looks wild. Do they tend to be mutually compatible, or is it a crapshoot?

Unless the two mods are trying to change the same thing, it’s safe to assume they are compatible. One thing to note is that if a mod adds even a single item (that is to say a pedestal item as opposed to a trinket or something) then EID will no longer be able to calculate Bag of Crafting outcomes for you.

quote:

NO. Away, devils.

Hey, it’s alright. Just enjoy the game your way. It’s not your fault if you’re not up to the challenge.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

More specifically, go to the “Mods” menu from the main menu and you can disble/enable mods individually or all at once. You have to disable all mods in order to do the daily challenge.

If you have graphical mods installed, you may experience visual bugs after disabling/enabling them. Restarting the game will fix this.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Relyssa posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2875881571&searchtext=key+pieces

This one lets you skip the shadow chase and the mirror malarkey. There's toggles for both if you feel like doing the tasks anyway.

Mirror malarkey is awesome though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Meowywitch posted:

Very close to cheating all of Jacob and Esau's marks because gently caress that stupid character

Do it!!!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

New vampire survivors DLC looks kickass

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

Really? Envy seems easy enough to me so far.

Now if the first boss is a variant on Widowmaker, I'm doomed

Widow? That one’s no problem. Here’s a tip: if you’re standing directly to the left or right of it when it jumps toward you, it will jump over you. So you stand right next to it and pour shots into it until it jumps over you, then reposition and repeat.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Finally got a Hush kill with Tainted Cain, by going through a hell of my own creation.

See if you can figure out why I'm in hell. The main relevant item that's missing from this screenshot is Placenta.

I got a run with Strange Key (note that it's swallowed by Marbles) but I went the whole time quite desperate for damage ups. In Womb 2 I started to get the impression that there's no way that my build could possibly beat Hush with the pitiful damage I had, and in desperation I crafted Blood Oath. That's a damage up, right? It's okay, I have The Sun to heal back up after getting a big damage boost. But by the end of Womb 2 I was on 1.5 hearts out of 10 heart containers.

But I had Placenta.

Time to play the waiting game. But wait! I also swallowed Mom's Toenail! So to get the max possible damage up, I had to wait for Placenta to trigger 17 times while dodging Mom's foot every 20 seconds. Jesus christ.

I took this screenshot about halfway through the process. I actually got hit 2-3 times after taking this screenshot, so I missed out on the eternal heart and had to regen even more. I finished the run at ~1:37. I think I was farting around at the end of Womb 2 for at least 45 minutes. But thanks to the extra damage, Hush went nice and smooth. Worth it. . . ? I'm finally done with TCain.

After nine years, it has been done. Someone has found the wrong way to play The Binding of Isaac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

neato burrito posted:

Just finished the last one I needed for 100% marks (some hard, most normal) for every non-tainted character besides Lost and J&E (gently caress trying to 100% those characters). Coming from the Flash days and playing the new version since Day 1, this is a long time coming and it Feels Good Man. I no longer have the time or the skills to chase a real 100% so this it. I'll peck away at all the tainted characters as I've unlocked all but one but as far as I am concerned I've "beat" BoI.

Yeah, right buddy. This is definitely it. You’re definitely not going to set a new goal for yourself and keep striving. You’re satisfied for good now. Sure thing pal. We’ve all said that.