Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Hand posted:

My last run I got some item that gave me access to the 'secret room' on every floor. I'm thinking of just repeatedly loading up this seed until I beat the game.

Would that be cheating?

Like someone said, beating a seeded game doesn't count.

On top of that, it's not cheating, but it is kinda useless. It's easy enough to find the secret room on every floor using no more than a few bombs if you know where to look (it's almost always surrounded by three, sometimes two, other rooms. In each of the surrounding rooms, the secret room wall is directly accessible without flight or bombs. The super secret room, which tends to be less useful, never touches more than one regular room, that's any room without a special map icon.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

omeg posted:

Yeah. And if you have Lovers card or Hematemesis pill (or the Jar :v:) you can spawn more black hearts in there.

I keep forgetting that this is a thing.

Does the Hema pill lower your chances of a devil room appearing, though?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The new character has no tears? Then she better has some good starting items. The no-tear challenges are generally horrible.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

One thing I can't stand about familiars is they block my view. If I have a bunch of them they wind up in front of me and screen me and I can't see projectiles when they get near me so I get hit by them a lot.

Do you play the game in first person mode?

E:
vvv Yeah yeah I got it.

Anyway, for anyone who doesn't have this game yet, it's 50% off today on the Steam Sale.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 12, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IMJack posted:

Update!

Buttons that do stuff!

Turbo mode challenge!

gently caress your poo poo!

And the Tumblr tag "pay me for the door repair" which makes me assume something I'm going to hate.

There's also a hidden link to this picture:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The 'dark room' is where you go to develop a 'negative', you see?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One thing I wonder about is if Isaac will start with the D6 or not in daily seeds.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Speaking of terrible items, experimental treatment can't get enough hate. Even with terrible stats at the start of an eden runs it somehow still makes me worse. So I have libra and decided to pick up experimental treatment. All my stats are balanced, what could go wrong? Lowered my damage, gained health. :doh:

Well, use the extra health to pick up brimstone from the next devil room. :shepface:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

As someone who really liked BoI, I'm wondering how rebirth compares? Is it good enough to be worth spending $15? Is it much easier or more difficult? I was good enough at BoI to finish the chest if I got some good item rolls but not enough to do it with blue baby. Unlocking the dice was really hard and I only was able to do it with luck.

The original game was an unplayable buggy piece of poo poo and I won't touch it anymore. I only realized that after playing Rebirth for a while, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Vic Boss posted:

You mean Blue Baby and not The Lost, right?

It would be funny to have the Lost as a joke alt boss, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes it does so for a simple room. In that case it speeds up both enemy movement and my movement to crazy levels. Next room, everything is back to normal.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Did you die with full hearts?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

Is which side of a Curse room door you respawn on random? Seems like I usually have to die twice as the Lost to get out, but I think sometimes you respawn inside more than once

It depends on where you actually die. If you carefully walk into the door and die while inside the curse room, you'll spawn on the outside. If you run through it, the death animation will trigger while you're already entering the next room, and it will spawn you in the last room you were in, which is inside the curse room.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, in the current version, it seems that for many of the items, if you get them twice they don't stack. Let's hope they fix that, otherwise this item becomes kinda useless less awesome.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

"Isaac 2 sequel"

...Okay then.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Read the post above mine again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Stop :spergin: already. Edmund said "Isaac 2" and "sequel" and I combined them because why would I turn a short post were I express my somewhat reserved surprise about the news that there might be a completely new Isaac game in the future into a long thing that doesn't add anything.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hidden pic of the week.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Can this be the Edmund McMillen thread? I got Fingered on Steam and it's kinda fun for a sub-$2 game. I don't quite get the strategy, then again I'm not quite sure there is a way to guess correctly 100% of the time.

Wait, I thought Fingered was a future project?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It looks like it was released yesterday (at least on Steam). You should do yourself a favor and watch the two videos on the game's store page. The second one is appropriately insane.

Also the price tag ($1.87) is so oddly specific I can't help but think it's a reference to the penal code 187 for crimes of murder.

It's €1.99 here in Euroland. Which is like $2.21.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The negative is an even better pun. Because OF COURSE you would go to a dark room with a negative.

Mr Phillby posted:

The negative really bothers me because polaroids don't have negatives that's the whole point of polaroid cameras in the first place jesus.

WELL. :v: It kinda depends on the type of polaroid. There is one type (additive color film) that has a sort of pixelated layer where every pixel is only transparant to the right kind of colour, and the photo layer immediately develops into a positive. But other polaroids (black and white ones and substractive and integral color film) first expose a negative, after which the rollers press the negative against the positive, with a layer of chemicals in between. The light 'uses up' the photosensitive chemicals on the negative, and turns those parts dark/coloured, creating the negative. Then the unused photosensitive chemicals are transferred to the positive, and are developed by the light outside the camera.

So for most polaroids, there is indeed a negative. It's just used up in the process of developing the positive.

---

In other news, a red chest in the devil room teleported me directly to the black market (without any way to get back up, there was only the hole down to the next level). I did not know that could happen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IUG posted:

I would love this. I'm really hoping that one of the expansions for BoI will be "Redemption", where Isaac finally gets a happy ending. Like my stupid theory is how the fortune teller machine says "Bring him the photo" means that Isaac brings the photographic evidence of the abuse to his father, who gets custody of Isaac.

Sorry that's kindof fan-fictiony, but that's what I picture happens to Isaac after he finishes The Chest.

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't that guy who according to Edmund got the closest to the true story of the game say that Isaac wasn't actually being abused? Something went wrong in the family, his parents split up, and Isaac blames himself. As a result, he has nightmares about being punished. He thinks that'll happen. And those nightmares are what we're seeing.

So a happy ending would involve... Isaac growing up. And that's it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

And a few new items were shown, like the Dunce cap which is...permanent R U a wizard effect

Yet another useless item that you skip whenever you see it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Waffle! posted:

Awesome seed with Isaac:

XZD4 F4VM

Got holy mantle, sacrificial dagger, Cricket's head real early. The Mom fight her first stomp crushes a block with the Small Rock underneath it... never seen that before. Had just about every tear status effect possible.

http://imgur.com/PZm9Mo9

I wonder if it's possible to get a crawlspace hatch from a rock in a boss room.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Matching the tattoo.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dodecalypse posted:

Tbh I'm surprised he's not one of the folks who preserves and eats it. He strikes me as a person who'd do that

Nah. Tom Cruise did that as some kind of weird scientology thing.

I don't think scientology folks would be interested in creating this game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I hope it takes a hint from Mario and freezes ghost enemies completely.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you wanna get spoiled, a bunch of Afterbirth achievements have been added to Steam.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Don't enter the secret room in GREED MODE. I've been trapped in twice now!

Where is it? I picked up the Spelunker's hat from a greed mode treasure room and didn't see any secret room appear anywhere.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was weird. I just finished a broken Greed run with Azazel to unlock Lilith, by abusing the IV bag to empty the shop item pools.

When I beat the game it gave me about half a dozen of new achievements... and then it gave me Platinum God. While I was at only 75% completion in the original Rebirth.

Some kind of bug?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

I mean, I get that there's a cap to the Greed machine, but I think it'd be fun to let you keep going for the sake of big numbers. I mean the point of greed mode is the money, the hell you're gonna tell me the machine is capped after like three runs

Or one run where you emptied the shop using the IV bag.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I managed to put in all the coins until it exploded when I first beat Super Greed, so I was assuming it couldn't jam.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, for those who use the item tracker to, well, keep track of items and what they do, you might have noticed it wouldn't "talk" to Afterbirth.

There's an update released that does work with Afterbirth. The new descriptions are far from complete, but it works.

However, clicking on items to go to their platinumgod.co.uk page doesn't work by default for new items. That's easily solved, though. Just rightclick on the item tracker window, and in the options screen that pops up, replace 'rebirth' in the item details link with 'afterbirth'. Make sure to keep the rest of the link the same.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

xanthan posted:

So the description is just a lie unrelated to what it does? drat.

platinumgod.co.uk has to add:

quote:

• The flavour text for this item is slightly misleading, it is not an all stats up, however will average out as a slight increase overall.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tip: don't pick up mom's knife followed by technology with Lilith. Mom's knife is cool, as it replaces the helper's tears with cute tiny knives, and together with her spacebar item that's very powerful. But if you then pick up Technology, you keep the knives, but lose the ability to shoot with them. You don't get lasers either, so the only way to damage enemies is to get your helper(s) close to them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What was in that now deleted post?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't even know what the lost is but I guess I'll watch out for that poster.

I've only recently started wikiing trinkets though. It's kind of fun having no idea whats going on the first few playthroughs but I've beaten greed and hardmode each with isaac and cain a few times so I guess I should start looking for ways to get new stuff.

Even with all the new bad things added, the Lost is still the worst thing in the entire game. Don't worry about unlocking him unless you've done literally everything else.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't played Afterbirth that much yet, so I might be wrong, but something I noticed is that when the DLC first came out, no rooms spawned in the remaining empty corner of three-block rooms. Now they do so regularly. Including secret rooms. Either RNG playing up or a bug fix.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's a bit of reddit in-joking, but this vid still made me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFlT9FUY7tM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So I got spider mod during a Greed mode run. After I had beaten Super Greed? Ultra Greed? the final boss of that mode, whenever I hit the gold statue that remained I still had a damage number pop up. I guess that doesn't lead to anything at that point, right?