Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Kuros posted:

I should get one of those timer programs.

Speedrunning Isaac is pretty fun and challenging.

I agree w/ this!
Here's the timer I use: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x6e6g8d0m5daa3q/WSplit_1.5.2.zip
The most important thing about an external timer is it lets you count your reset time against your run, so you're not incentivised to reset foreeever to get a top item.

Check out speedrunslive.com if you wanna try racing people, we've got a solid isaac community there with usually lots of races every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Kuros posted:

Thanks! I'll look into it.

As for top items, I'll usually take the run if I pull something decent like 20/20, Tech.5, or two Guppy parts. Doesn't always have to be quad shot or Poly. :)

20/20 and tech.5 are some of the best starts!

Here's a roughly accepted tier list of fastest starting items:

knife/ipecac/epic fetus
brimstone
2020/tech.5/proptosis/judas shadow/lil brim

There's a lot of varied opinions about how exactly to rank a bunch of other items like magic mush, cricket's head, cricket's body, chocolate milk, lung, scythes, quad, and poly, but those items are all definitely worse than the ones above.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Guppy's collar is kicked in the whole time, so if it hits its 50% chance then it won't drain the lives you already have. It's pretty annoying when you're playing for speed and burning through cat lives to get the higher damage but collar keeps slowing it down

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

AttackTheMoon posted:

Just met the 400 hour mark on this game how do I continue to keep it interesting till Afterbirth?

race people

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I didn't understand your post either man, chill out

I like how ed doesn't mention that he keeps adding to the isaac series because it's sold better than any of his other games

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
D6 rerolls can be influenced by repeatedly picking up and putting down a space item, which progresses you through a seeded sequence for the reroll.
Also I'm pretty sure angel key rerolls aren't seeded.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

How does Edmund not see R U A Wizard as a negative effect? It's always a downgrade to your DPS.
It's not always a dps downgrade; if your tear rate is slow enough then you can alternate what direction you fire to make the wizard tears always go the same way. takes a small amount of practice

The 20/20 version sounds pretty great to me, I will enjoy trying to maximize dps with it in rooms filled with enemies

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Today I had a boss fight with a blue rock on top of the spot where the boss item appears. It gave a small rock when it broke. here is a video http://www.twitch.tv/hyphen_ated/v/16246718

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Jusupov posted:

Grats to hyphenated for second place in the last tournament before afterbirth

Thanks. it was a fun tournament. looking forward to more of them after everybody learns the expansion :)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I just did speedruns for 8 hours. this game is really really good

For anyone else who's an unlock-hater like me, here's a cheated save file with all items unlocked http://www.speedrun.com/isaacrebirth/resources

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm not a speedrunner but there aren't really positives that outweigh getting a suprise hematemesis or paralysis or r u a wizard in the middle of a room.

i am a speedrunner. there absolutely are positives that can outweigh those bad pills! speed up, tears up, 48 hour energy, and telepills can all lead to big timesaves. I usually take unknown pills. sometimes I don't. there are a lot of factors that go into it

oh wait are you talking about taking pills immediately when you are fighting enemies? yeah nevermind

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

VineST posted:

what's wrong here? they don't stack with each other, so mushroom is better always.

not necessarily true: if you already have all the health, speed, and range you need, then the +0.5 damage from cricket's head is better than the +0.3 damage from magic mushroom

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Actually, I got that wrong. What actually happened with Soy Milk was that it was bugged in Rebirth. Due to the way the tear cap and fire rate was handled, it was firing at half the rate it should have been. In Rebirth, Soy Milk fixed Isaac's fire rate at 15 tears per second. That got fixed in Afterbirth, so it fixes Isaac's fire rate to be 30 tears per second. I said before that Soy Milk doubled Isaac's DPS if all tears hit their mark. Yeah, uh I was referring to the unbugged version. :sweatdrop: At 15 tears per second, Soy Milk was always a damage decrease, even if all tears hit. That's why Soy Milk was always a terrible pickup unless you had Libra, because it wasn't working right. Now in Afterbirth, Soy Milk is no longer the run ruiner it used to be. Might not be an every run pickup (i.e. don't pick it up if you have Brimstone) but it's a nice buff.

Where are you getting this from? I just tested and soy milk currently gives 15 tears per second, just like it always has. It's really obvious just by looking at it, but I counted the tears in a video recording to make sure. I gave myself extra tears ups and a delay down just to check, and it didn't make any difference. 2 tear delay is the minimum you can have. (it shows as "1" in cheat engine because the actual delay is 1 higher than the number stored in memory)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh, really? Wow, other people said that it got corrected. Guess I was wrong. Never mind, Soy Milk is still trash.

it's a good practice to assume that everything you hear about this game is a lie unless you get it from some specific source who has repeatedly demonstrated reliability. i only trust the words of like three people: elucidater, darktwinge, and henryex. anybody else says something, i have to check it myself before believing it

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

if it just gives you double the fire power for free, yeah that's absurd
that's what it does. it's like a 20/20 that combines better with many other items (e.g. triple and quad) but it's usually a little harder to hit with both shots.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Purity is insane . . .Red is double strength devil horn.

This is not quite right. The curved horn gives +2 to what we call "flat" damage, which means it happens after the damage scaling formula, so the actual amount of damage your tears do is increased by exactly 2. The vast majority of the items that we talk about as being damage ups don't work this way. Instead they increase the input to the scaling formula.

Here's what the formula looks like!

actual damage = 3.5 * sqrt(1 + (total "damage ups") * 1.2)

So your starting damage is 3.5. If you get a +1 dmg item, then your damage becomes about 5.19. If you have just a red purity aura, which is +4 dmg, then your damage is about 8.43. Damage multipliers happen after this scaling step.

Here's a website I worked on that can help do these calculations for you: http://hyphen-ated.github.io/rebirthDps/ (it also does DPS!)
it's not updated with any afterbirth stuff though

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Mylan posted:

Marked seems like it would be a really great power up if this game had mouse support

unfortunately, even though the game does have mouse support, Marked still sucks rear end because the crosshair doesn't go to your cursor. instead it flies straight to the opposite wall in a way that's somehow related to where your cursor is.

epic fetus works very well with the mouse, though. I normally play with a controller and I switch one hand onto the mouse when I get epic. (need to use joytokey to trick the game into thinking my controller is a keyboard for this to work)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Judas's damage multiplier is 1.35, compared to Eve's 1.0 even with Whore active (0.75 without it). The damage formula is:

Mult*Base*SQRT(1 + 1.2*(bonuses)).

The break even point - when Judas catches up to Eve - can be easily calculated (1.352*(1+1.2x) = (1+1.2*(x+1.5))) to be +0.99 damage. ie, get a +1 damage up and Judas does more damage. Before that, Judas does 4.725 and Eve does 5.86.

If running those calculations every time you wonder something about DPS doesn't sound exciting, check out my webpage where you can click buttons and it tells you the answer

i just realized that I never put in the thing where eve's multiplier goes up with whore active. just keep yourself as isaac to account for that.

also it's missing afterbirth items and some of the rebirth items that were harder to calculate

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

there was no reason to go quickly. no unlocks or items were tied to the speed in which you completed the game
I was speedrunning the game back then. going fast was a lot more fun than going slow. that's a good enough reason. it's not necessary to be fed rewards by the developer like you're in a skinner box.

also I think the premise of this post is wrong. I looked at some of my pre-wotl vods and the movement speed seems basically the same as the current game. have you done any measurements to support what you're saying here?

quote:

Tear delay also got hit, as well- a way to also slow the pace in which players clear rooms
THIS part I'm completely sure is wrong. the tear delay formula has been the same since forever.
starting isaac tear delay was 11 frames pre-wotl and it's 11 frames today. (both based on a 30 fps clock; they ported all the delay and damage calculations directly over into rebirth)

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

JVNO posted:

Edit: Also, is Nicalis just incapable of fixing the Soy Milk glitch? And if they are, why not change the damage multiplier to something less severe so that it all evens out?
Is there any actual evidence that the soy milk thing is a bug? can someone link me to a developer saying it is? or did like, some streamer speculate on it and ya'll have been treating it like a fact?

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

DraconicImpulse posted:

I did just that after the Eternal update dropped. I was even one of the big babies who disliked that Rebirth look at first, but gently caress going back to flash Isaac is rough.

I'm fairly confident that the eternal update made the frame drops much worse than they used to be.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I've been doing speedrun streaks where I try to get a bunch of sub-18-minute chest wins in a row, as isaac, with the egg that removes curse of the lost. (and any time spent resetting for a start item counts against the timer)

my previous best was 12. yesterday I got it up to 22 before a failure. holy drat, probably never going to break that pb.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Crack the Sky and White Pony got buffed: http://gfycat.com/BestPoliticalGermanshepherd http://gfycat.com/ClutteredAnguishedBronco http://gfycat.com/DismalLightBoar

Beams target enemies now and are pretty massive damage if you can use it on enemies that are staying still.

Back in wotl, crack the sky also targeted things. but it targeted ANY kind of thing: enemies, pickups, even tears. each beam could randomly select one entity in the room to target. I wonder if the new behavior is like that, or if it only shoots at enemies

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
9 lives is great. You can use it to take lots of devil deals, steal from the boss rush, and not die when you got hit too much and deserved to die. It's the best guppy piece. It's nowhere near one of the strongest devil items though.
By my count, the devil pool has 30 items worse than it and 19 better items better than it.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
the first afterbirth tournament is this weekend, starting at 6 am saturday and running basically all day saturday and sunday. xelnas is hosting it. the prize pool is Fifty Dollars. i'm hoping to win the dollars.
http://www.twitch.tv/xelnas
http://challonge.com/lostchild

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

omeg posted:

Grats on the win so far. Probs' runs were pretty crazy, drat. :chef:

I was on the edge of my seat for problems's races, he came so close to losing to the newcomer alwaysbored, it would have been incredible

quote:

i've never really looked into racing until now. really nice performance there!
thanks!

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

VineST posted:

are you a professional Isaac speedracer

i am and i agree

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Isaac's stuff is all perfectly dodgable with practice, don't give up!!!
well, isaac does shoot undodgeable beams. but it's pretty rare to actually get hit by one.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Tofu Injection posted:

You only have to do the boring challenge once. The unfair challenge will unfairly force you to try a billion times.
You don't have to do any of the challenges.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
there's a tournament going at http://www.twitch.tv/xelnas
i won my first match

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

this thread has a real love/hate relationship with this game and its devs

the whole playerbase does

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

Hyphen, I've seen talk of a tournament but I don't know the details. What/when is it? Which twitch channel should I follow?

Full info at https://roidrage.net
It'll be on cobaltstreak's channel, (http://www.twitch.tv/cobaltstreak) but the guy in charge of it is a minecraft youtuber named ssundee. so it's not actually a "balls of steel" event even though dickhammer and cobalt are both helping host it.

The main tournament is on feb 6 and 7, and it will have eight competitors. six of them are directly invited, including me. two will be picked by a qualifying tournament the weekend before, which is this upcoming weekend. anyone can sign up for the qualifying event.

The qualifying rounds will all use the SEEDED Judas d6 mod, which is pretty new for a tournament format. For each round, a referee will give both players the same seed that starts you off next to an item room with a top-20 item. You play as judas, you use the easter egg for no curses, and you start with a d6, compass, and half a soul heart. Also, devil deals and angel rooms always have pedestal items, and many rooms with "unfair" damage have been modified to prevent being hit undodgeably as soon as you enter the room. You're allowed to watch your opponent. neither of you will have seen this particular seed before, though.

The main tournament will use the same mod, but the viewers will vote each round for seeded or unseeded.

The prize pool is $1750 plus the same amount again for charities that the winners choose, so that's a pretty exciting amount as far as isaac tournaments go. if I win money then my charity will be the against malaria foundation.

i'll be practicing this ruleset a lot in the next two weeks. if you want to watch me do that, my stream is https://twitch.tv/hyphen_ated

quote:

Also, good luck, please win.
thanks!

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
i've been playing the game exclusively for speed since before WOTL came out. watching people play it slow is almost incomprehensible to me now :)

quote:

I guess it's mostly a game of risk-management at that level. And making the best of bad situations, if it comes to that.
the most important part is the mechanical skill of killing enemies quickly without getting hit. making good decisions is secondary, but still very important.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Have any videos you could link? :)

http://www.twitch.tv/hyphen_ated/v/15340199 here's a pretty close race I highlighted one time. but since it's an actual tournament match, i'm kind of muttering to myself during it instead of talking for viewers

http://www.twitch.tv/oh_my_goth_/v/20839415 here's some commentated matches of the "lemon party finals"
http://www.twitch.tv/xelnas/v/37154841 here's some commentated matches of "lost child 2"
http://www.twitch.tv/haagiboy88/v/37148551 here's some commentated matches of "basement 2", a new-racers-only tournament

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
if you have base tears or speed, then a tears down or speed down is usually pretty catastrophic no matter how good your build is

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Do the good pills still do more good than the bad pills do bad? I think way back in the day (poo poo, it may have even been original isaac), the stat loss on a bad pill was 80% of the stat gain on a good pill.

This is correct for range, speed, and tears pills.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

LionYeti posted:

Piping in here to say that downloading a 1001% save has increased my love of this game 100%. No more grinding greed modes to make other characters playable, no challenges that are like slamming my dick into a car door.

hell yeah

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Sanctum posted:

Except in BoI the unidentified pill was re-rolled if you got a full health with full red hearts. Which meant taking any unidentified pill with full red hearts was ~sub-optimal~ as you had a higher chance of a negative effect.
well, except that full health is itself pretty much a garbage pill, compared to how good tears up and speed up are.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I got a prerelease copy of gungeon because i'm such an isaac celebrity. it's fun. i like the rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Really? I have had that on my wish list for a long time now. Reminds me more of Nuclear Throne than BoI, though. Is that the case? Or does it have a lot in common with both?

It has a lot in common with both, but it's closer to throne. It's a huge thing to aim wherever you want with the mouse instead of just U/D/L/R. Also picking up weapons is more like throne than isaac. There are passive items you can find, but so far they're all very weak compared to even the "just okay" tier of item strength in isaac.