Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Count me in as someone else who’s only just discovered the joys of building robots in the worst possible time, the past few months. I’ve been tending to focus on the mobile suits I’ve seen so far in MSG and MSZG, so I haven’t seen a ton from P-Bandai that I desperately want, but I preordered a Qubeley they had a few months back just because of the Final Fantasy VII connection.

My current build is the RG EVA-01 with Transport Platform Set, which looks so loving cool. I already did the RG EVA-00, so I knew some of what I was getting into, but I’m still impressed with how much detail and care Bandai puts into these. The thighs of these have little hinge bits that push out some outer parts in different ways depending on how you move the legs, to simulate human musculature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
For months I was using a set of nippers I got in a $10 gunpla starter kit off Amazon and then last week I got a set of Godhand nippers for $15 and there is a world of difference in my cuts/nub removal now.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

chiasaur11 posted:

So, don't bring up how the Evangelion RG kits are amazing feats of engineering that look so good the box pictures are unpainted?

Got it.

Can second this, I have the RG EVA-00 and am building the EVA-01; the finished 00 looks and poses so much better than my 90s HG EVA-03 and Production Model EVA.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dr Christmas posted:

Both the guys I have (the RG Exia being my first) are from series I've never seen, being gifts, so I don't really know what I want to do next when I have the time. I've only seen the Gundam stuff that was on Toonami, and there's not a series that I'm super invested in. The model that actually got me thinking about getting into this hobby was the RG Eva-01, which is kind of ironic, because I don't know if I can say I'm invested in that either, as I haven't seen half of Evangelion or any of the movies.

This was me, too. I got Bandai’s Kirby model on a lark and had fun with it, but wanted something that took longer than 15 minutes. I wanted to build stuff I was familiar with (Star Wars and Eva mostly), but I realized there’s not a ton in that sphere so I started watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam. That was only a few months ago and now I’m almost done with Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam too. It gets its hooks in you.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I finished the RG Eva Unit 01 with Transport Platform set last night. Overall it’s a very good, detailed kit, and I’m constantly surprised at the level of detail they’re able to include. One of the coolest parts is how they did the eyes and horn; they molded multiple colors into one piece, and it’s the first advanced kit I’ve made that features eyes as a part instead of a decal (the entry grade RX-78-2 and SD/CS Char’s Zaku II don’t really count). The only downsides to the Eva itself is one of the chest plates is quick to fall off, and the green tip of one of its armguards also falls off easily. The Transport Platform is a cool idea in theory, but it was somehow more finicky to pose the Eva in that than on its own. One side would pop out, I would align it back into its rack, and then the other side would pop out. It probably took a solid 20 minutes to get it into the correct position, and then I installed the umbilical cable, which yanked it out of balance and I had to just forgo the cable (I had similar cable issues with Unit 00, it feels like it’s Just A Thing with these RG Eva kits).

The biggest upside of the kit is the AT field and special hands so you, too, can recreate goatse in plastic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m assuming people here have ordered from HLJ before? How much is the shipping for the different tiers and for like 3-4 kits? I’m just wondering if buying multiple kits to ship later could save money vs. buying from American sites.

Edit: I’m in the American Midwest, that might be important for shipping prices.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 22, 2022

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Blaziken386 posted:

(suletta's face is apparently made with waterslide decals, and im slightly nervous...)

She comes with 3 face plates, one of which is pre-decorated, and the other two use waterslides.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’ve tried googling around to find an answer and I feel like I’m going nuts because no one else seems to have this issue. Why the hell are my waterslides so inconsistent? I was able to put some waterslides on fine (MG Qubeley, HG Nu Gundam, and the new MG Dom’s eye), but since then I’ve had trouble with them on my HG Kämpfer, HG Sazabi, and, most recently, HG 7-11 Gundam. Sometimes I put them in the water, wait, and they’ll slide off just fine, and sometimes they’ll just stick to the paper or I have to take them off the paper with an xacto knife to apply. I’ve tried using warm water and letting the decals soak for 3-10 seconds, and then anywhere from 90 seconds to a couple minutes later, I check for sliding. What am I doing wrong with the bad ones?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Burns posted:

You may be soaking the decals for too long.

I didn’t even think this could be an issue, I thought more water would help it come off. I’ve only used Bandai’s packed-in waterslides, should I stick with just 3 seconds of soaking?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Nuebot posted:

Also I'm running into the same problem I did with the Psycho Gundam where since everything slides together, sometimes one side just doesn't want to go in flush and even when pressing it in just pops out slightly and that's kind of frustrating.

Oh thank god I’m not alone. I’ve been building a Psycho Gundam recently and the right side of the torso isn’t flush, and the right shoulder flap didn’t seem perfectly seated either, and I couldn’t really figure it out. The Psycho Gundam’s from 2004, it’s basically screaming for a 2.0.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It was pricey, but I love my MG Hyaku-Shiki 2.0

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
P-Bandai’s opening preorders for a $52 HG Gawain from Code Geass tonight and those fuckers know I’ll buy it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
“What’s in the case?”

Tom Cruise opens it, revealing a completely built, painted, decaled, panel-lined PG Unleashed RX-78-2

“Doom.”

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I have a basic question for yall. I’m building an HG Zogok (Unicorn Ver.) and the second ball joints on both arms feel loose. I know the recommendation is to use clear nail polish, so how would I apply it, to the socket or to the polycap ball?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Requiem for Vengeance kits look like they’ll be a bitch and a half to panel line, my god.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hold up, is that a Figure-Rise Ple Two without a Ple One first? Or did I miss something?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Waffleman_ posted:

Our stock of G-Witch is up to interpretation

Lmao

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Deviant posted:

i took a break while i was building Miku and now i feel like i belong on an FBI watchlist.

How is it so far? I got my girlfriend that Miku awhile back and it’s in her backlog. It doesn’t look like it has a ton of parts so it seems pretty simple.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Deviant posted:

Simple, but it has dry decals which are a pain. I panel lined her shirt, but i had to deepen the lines.

I haven’t had any issues with dry decals on the few kits I’ve used them (MG Hyaku-Shiki, MG F91, and Suletta), so if all else fails I can help my girlfriend with those. Thanks!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Stopped by the hobby shop the other day to grab a Baund Doc, and they had one Lancelot Albion kit from Code Geass R2, which I had to snag. It’s going to be fun posing that big boy when it’s finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Goddammit they’re charging the P-Bandai tax, but they’re putting up a preorder for the MG EW Heavyarms in less than an hour.