Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Tunahead posted:

or whatever dumbfuck thing history's greatest monster Hajime Katoki is currently into.

That would be chest fins

and hidden missiles.

Go on, tell me why these are awful.

I hate some of the guy's redesigns as much as the next guy, but :argh: :argh: :argh: KATOKI :argh: :argh: :argh: hasn't been a particularly relevant viewpoint in years.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The FA-78 vTB as is would have likely been useless for Amuro's purposes. His accuracy and evasion capabilities were so high by the end of the OYW that he didn't need a host of redundant weapons or gratuitous amounts of armor. Gundam doesn't operate by RPG principles: having a bigger beam rifle would not have made Amuro particularly more effective. Similarly, there's nothing it features that is explicitly out of place for 0079: you have to remember that there was a canonical FA Gundam in MSV, and that this is the series where Zeon was cranking out some janky new prototype every week. If it featured a movable frame, a transformation, e-pacs, or something else from Zeta onwards then you'd have a case but it doesn't. Instead it has loads of missiles, additional armor, and a stupid looking backpack.

The actual problems with Thunderbolt are that I'm not in high school anymore so I don't have a hardon for gratuitous amounts of guns and armor a) its aesthetics completely clash with the rest of 0079 (which is not not a new problem, 0080 technically did the same), b) it has that goofy splash page with some Zeongs when that was supposed to be a one-off, and c) once it exits the OYW it ditches the UC aesthetic entirely with Atlas. But they've long since given up on design consistency so that doesn't matter much either.

So really, it's just the Zeongs.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 10, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I don't even begin to understand what you're talking about, but you need to get that chip off your shoulder.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The discussion was about examples of tech discrepancies in Thunderbolt. The redesigns are one of them.

I seriously don't get what you're getting on your soapbox about. I even said that design consistency hasn't been a thing in forever, it's why I brought up 0080. Though considering you were bringing up the Alex of all things, I'm curious if you just don't know the Z'Gok E, the GM D, and I think the Zaku II Kai were originally supposed to just be the Z'Gok, GM and Zaku II, only with retconned designs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sounds like you need an X.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

This owns, but at the same time it's simple enough that I cant help but think "couldn't this just be an addon pack?".

That's why it's P-Bandai.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

are katoki designs just "double/triple up on decals and make a few lines go in opposite directions from their og design"? that's the nearest I can tell with most of the ver ka designs anyway :shrug:

If you really want a description of his stuff in a single phrase, I'd go with "made to look as visually impressive in a standard pose as possible while also trying to keep things simple for the model (though all bets are off if it's a vKa and he feels like pushing the envelope)".

There are lots of things associated with him (decal spam, panel lines, long legs, small heads, transformations, excess equipment, chest fins, etc) but that's mostly because he's been around for so long.

Early Katoki:

Katoki in an actually animated Gundam series:

Katoki once GFF and Unicorn took off and he had a quota to meet:

Katoki once vKa became more of a yearly thing:

Katoki on the exact same design when he's not trying to spice it up:

That last bit is pretty important: Katoki has two very different styles of redesign, basic clean-up and full on overhaul. Most of the complaints you hear about the guy are from the latter.

If you want someone you could actually describe 95% of their work with just one phrase though, Kondo is right there.

S K I R T A R M O R

EDIT: Also before anyone asks, I'm not too hot on Katoki's take on the Gundam X. Too much blue.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 29, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Prepare your wallets!!!!

http://www.inask.net/blog-entry-866.html - Dragon Momoko "Metal Build" Avalanche Exia

I want to be excited for this, but the base Exia underneath the armor being some weird hybrid between the MB and the MG turns me off. Especially the knees.

EDIT: I wonder if they'll be able to pull off the MG Exia's GN strips? I remember a previous third party version of the MG Exia Ignition just gave up on it entirely and packed in clear red strips instead.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 2, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bandai finally announced MG Sandrock Custom vEW. To the surprise of absolutely nobody, the literal recolor of the original MG is P-Bandai.

The only difference between this and the original is the cloak. Which unlike the MG Crossbones (but like the RD ones) seems to be molded in plastic! It'll probably hamper posability a ton and make it look weird next to all the others, but it's nice that they put some effort into it.

All of the previous P-Bandai vEW releases are being reprinted too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Could you, like, cut real cloth to match that and attach it in place of the crummy plastic?

It shouldn't be that hard to fit the old 1:100's cape onto the new MG. Having had experience with both kinds of capes though, I'd say plastic is the way to go.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm honestly curious how the beam effects for the shotels will work with those extra pointy bits all over it now.

EVGA Longoria posted:

This is the important news, gonna finally get me some Tallgeeses.

If you paint, it'd be cheaper to buy a MG Tallgeese I and then just kitbash it with either the Dragon Momoko TGII or the Daban TGIII.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of 90s Gundam AUs, fengqimodel finally put up pictures of their Bolt Gundam ver F conversion kit.

If you don't remember, ver F(antasy) was that line of conversion kits for the MG Wing vEW line that tried to turn them into stylized versions of the TV designs.

Some, uh, looked better than others.

To be entirely fair on this one, you can take off the Tallgeese cosplay and reveal a regular Epyon.

Now that they're finished with Mercurius and Vayeate, they seem to be finished with Wing in general and are moving onto G. Gundam Rose is next, and presumably they intend to at least do the entire Shuffle Alliance. All the kits will still be using the vEW frame too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hi Resolution Model is a still infant Bandai line that is effectively a buildable Metal Build. All the parts have a metallic finish and fit onto a pre-assembled frame. The only previous releases were Barbatos and a P-Bandai Barbatos Form 6, and then dead silence up until WZC was announced. The general assumptionup till that was that the idea had bombed, though maybe they're trying out a safer design before they make any final decisions.

The preview pictures of the MG ZZ vKa look like Katoki switched out a gray runner for a white one just to be different. Can't really say I like the look.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Holy poo poo where can I obtain this.

Wait for it to come out and then order it off taobao. If you're lucky either GK-M will recast it or Gundam Model Center will order a batch so you can use their sites, but if you're unlucky you'll have to deal with taobao middlemen. Or eBay.

If anyone's interested I can start posting about recent/upcoming resin kits (GM III, Reborns, Wing Fenice, Zaku F2000, FA mkIII, etc). Checking taobao is practically a daily habit now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

hats4cats posted:

A 1/100 Zaku F2000?

Poor choice of english names aside (杂兵 ought to translate to something like "various weaponry" as far as I know), this guy likes to make BF-related stuff. Besides the Zaku F2000 his page has conversion kits for the MG Wing and the MG Ez-8 that turn them into a 1/100 Wing Fenice and the various forms of the Ez-SR.

There aren't any really good painted shots of his stuff as far as I know, but from what I've seen he's part of the camp that goes a little overboard on the detailing/proportions.

But there are far worse offenders.

And cooler ones.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I LOVE YOU BUILD FIGHTERS

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Cherudim Saga is an existing design. It's the least goofy looking of the 00S2 MSVs.

What I think is more interesting about the Cherudim Saga vBF is its accessory pack, which is apparently a medley of random 00 weapons.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That is, in fact, two separate machines stapled together.

The 0 Raiser disassembles upon docking with the 00, but the XN Raiser doesn't because

um

They wanted to let you make the 00 look really silly?

But the real reason to buy the MG XN Raiser is to make the much nicer looking XN 00.

EDIT:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 17, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You mean like the guides at the front of modern HG manuals?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Leopard DV stripped out all of the Leopard's asymmetry, much like how it removed all of the Leopard's distinguishing characteristics beyond "it has big guns".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's not strange because there isn't an existing HGAW Leopard. It was Build Fighters that recycled old kits like crazy; Build Fighters Try had a lot more unique molds.

Not that it would work out anyways. I've complained about this before, but the Leopard DV is completely off scale. The only thing about it that justifies being a Leopard variant is the pun in the name.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neither the new RG nor the inevitable next MG have been announced. RG Johnny Ridden's Zaku II and MG GM Sniper Custom are P-Bandai.

EDIT: ...Is what I sincerely thought given Bandai's recent practice, but jokes on me. They really are general release.

I'm actually surprised. Both of those would've been easy to justify as P-Bandai.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 24, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Turns out almost all of the new releases from GM's Counterattack are P-Bandai.

I guess Island Wars' line of kits didn't do that hot. :negative:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Watch the BF OVA.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It depends on the kit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think I should pick up the GM/GM Build Fighters kit. I thought it was just a remold of the Revive RX-78-2 at first, but it looks like it has some pretty neat stuff going on with a split torso and folding wrists.

Surprisingly, the GM/GM is based off the Leopard da Vinci.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Considering they put the effort into getting almost the entire Island Wars line out as general release, GM's Counterattack's releases just makes me think that Island Wars sold horribly enough it wasn't worth betting on.

I know that nobody likes paying more for stuff, but the sheer vitriol people express for P-Bandai gets so overdone it's ridiculous. The fact of the matter is that most of the time, if it wasn't going to be P-Bandai it wasn't going to exist at all. You have to think of Bandai less as a magical wish granting lamp and more as a business. Because that is, in fact, what they are.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Effort-wise, that's a pretty intensive kit to develop

Bzzt. HG P-Bandai releases get to cut corners hard since the assumption is that if you're getting it at all you don't care. Sometimes it's a massive sticker sheet, sometimes it's like the Waterproof Gundam where they just straight up expect you to paint a billion missing color apps.

Guy Goodbody posted:

That is not a desire for a magical wish

You are, in fact, wishing that Bandai would magically sprout a half decent international shipping organization and infrastructure. They're in the process of doing that as we speak, but it is going to take time and a poo poo load of surveys.

You guys did respond to that P-Bandai USA survey regarding shipping rates, right?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So you're just going to ignore that Bandai also tried teaming up with international distributors at first too then.

I've been following P-Bandai USA for a while now. From what I understand, it's effectively a small start-up at the moment with a lot of duties being covered by other teams (P-Bandai HK handles shipping and payment, for instance, which is the reason for the high fees since stuff gets sent to HK and then to US/Canada). But it is growing, and is actually getting some stuff targeted at its primary audience that other P-Bandai branches didn't (most P-Bandai branches could only offer one copy of GFF MC Wing Zero to pre-orderers, but P-Bandai USA and JP got six copies). I'm sure said growth is going to be excruciatingly slow and afraid of risk like literally any other corporation ever, but that's how it is.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you looked at the Fenice Libertalia and read the rest of that post?

Have you? Because I see a new back skirt armor (easy x2 assembly) and a new backpack (jury's still out on if it's actually new or if the motorcycle assembly just plugs into the pre-existing hole in the back). The transformation is the usual Wing Gundam transformation with the wings folded up and some wheels deployed. It doesn't seem particularly amazing, so I'm not sure why you're so bedazzled about it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You do not live in Japan. You are thus currently not one of their main consumers, so as a business it would be unprofitable for them to specifically cater to your needs.

This has and will hopefully continue to change over time. But until then, spewing expletives and shaking your fist at the sky every time this happens as if it hadn't happened dozens of times already isn't going to do much of anything.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

P-Bandai USA isn't growing, it still only offers a half dozen seemingly randomly selected things. And it still has flat rate thirty three loving dollars shipping.

Don't act like just letting people order directly from them is some insane logistical mindbender that poor old Bandai couldn't figure out. Goodsmile did it.

I just gave an example of a noted change. China, Taiwan, Hong Kong; all of the Asia branches besides Japan only got one run at preordering GFF MC Wing Zero, and only up to one copy (there were lots of angry Wing fans!). JP and USA got two runs, at 6 per order. Up till now P-Bandai USA was just getting leftover stock as its wares, so this is the first instance of them getting something targeted at their intended audience.

As for Goodsmile, they have an in-house distributor located in America, which is why they can offer better prices. Up until then, as far as I know GSC's prices weren't much better than Bandai's.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, how dare someone continue to voice their disagreement more than once with an unnecessarily lovely business practice. It's not like there are at least half a dozen import/export stores that would jump at the chance or anything.

Or that there is likely a much larger global community that would leap at P-Bandai kits for a decent price.

Or there being pre-existing export licensing routes for other Bandai lines, like through Bluefin, making the only difference being what gets packed into a shipping container.

First off, way to drop an argument the second it starts going south.

Bandai did partner up with several other import/export stores. It didn't go that hot. Similarly Bandai clearly does recognize the international market, which is why we're seeing stuff like P-Bandai USA that would've been pipe dreams half a decade ago. And finally, Bandai is already working with Bluefin on this: Derringer has gone on record saying he pushed hard to get the MG XN Raiser is general release in America.

But I'd invite you to look at the recommended prices Bluefin sets on its websites. Just about anywhere I go on the net, I see complaints about how US retailers tend to be much more expensive than their equivalent Japanese stores. The main reason why is because of Bluefin acting as middleman, so I don't really think asking them to do everything would lead to a lower price. XN Raiser is what, $90?

Middlemen always make the price shoot up, it's why people would prefer directly ordering from P-Bandai JP.

Neurolimal posted:

I get what you're saying, and I'm not against you, but if the P-Bandai branches are in an arrangement where shipping results in 35 dollar shipping fees, then something's pretty hosed. AFAIK Hobbylink Japan ships straight from Japan to the US, and that's a like, 9-12 dollar shipping at highest. And if they are shipping from China, it would be pretty trivial to get 0 shipping costs on their end (it will take a month to ship out, but most people would tolerate that over 35 dollar shipping costs).

Yeah, it's a pretty screwed up situation from what I hear. At least they're aware of how angry people are over the shipping costs (again, it was the main subject of the recent survey) though, so I'm hoping to see some changes on that front in the next half a year or so.

EDIT: Actually if I'm going to be honest, it's more like next two years or so.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 31, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I feel like it's safe to say that Bandai's committed to a western market again, at least. The most recent news I heard regarding gunpla's overseas appeal was that the bulk of the international market is "mostly in Asia", but IBO appears to have done a great job at advertising to the west: BDs are coming over, whole shows are being subbed on youtube, even the manuals are being translated now. That article I linked says Bandai is hoping international sales can one day surpass domestic sales, and I guess it's no wonder why they'd want that because Japan's economy hasn't been doing all that hot.

Which, incidentally, is the main answer for any questions related to "why is Bandai taking it so safe on all their releases recently?".

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing is, they made the exact opposite mistake the first time, flooding the market with product they couldn't sell. It's understandable they'd be a little gunshy.

I think they might have an advantage this time around on that front in that brick and mortar hobby stores are basically dead. Online retailers are all the rage these days, and something tells me Amazon cares a lot less about having "aisles" of unsold stock than Toys R Us did.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh cool, the Raftclans had a kit announced. :toot:

Kinda sad it doesn't provide green effect parts for people who want to recreate the classic SRW J look, but what can you do.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Given that all of the JP text is talking about RGs, and that the image on the right is the RG's lineart, I'm inclined to say that's a fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The AB4 appears to just be three AB5s, so technically speaking they're both made for either 1/144 or 1/100. Both come with enough connector types to put just about anything you want up there, which will surely be a relief to action figure fans who will now be free of the curse of Tamashii Action Stages.

But sizing-wise, the AB5 is too small for your average MG. The AB4 isn't much better (the promo shots barely give the Freedom 2.0 enough space to stand), though I suppose you could argue that the three mini hexagon structure provides better weight distribution than the AB1's single hexagon. The new display arm is the real draw, and if there's any luck it'll be compatible with the AB1 so you can get the best of both worlds.
Bandai's never mass producing the AB1 2.0, huh...