Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Kilty Monroe posted:

If you have a Fidelity AmEx, check your email. I just got a promotion offer where you get 5% back on travel through the end of March.

Capped at $25 (lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there a good way to tell what category businesses are if that information isn't included on a statement (I don't have a Discover or an Amex Blue)? I usually just have to go back and do the math to see if I'm getting bonus points somewhere or not.

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
How do you plan on getting them to your parent's account?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Take a look at the price.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Anyone have a Capital One Quicksilver with an EMV chip?

Website shows it as having one, but nobody online has reported receiving one.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

becoming posted:

They just started rolling this out in the last few weeks. I'd expect new cards to be EMV, and older accounts to slowly get switched.

You are correct. I just called them, and they said new cards are being issued with chips.

edit: this is about the Quicksilver and Venture cards only. I didn't ask about the others.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

How often does Amex reduce the platinum yearly fee after the first year? I'd be fine with either a reduction in the fee or miles.

They gave me 40,000 points when I threatened to cancel a few weeks ago. That's $50 short of the full fee.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

It varies depending on the amount you're converting, but it can approach 2.24 to 1. Chart here.

Actually, it can be quite a good rate if you redeem for a flight and hotel package. These packages are by far the best use of Marriott points.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

The deadline is just for using EMV (the chip part).

No. There is no deadline for implementing EMV. There is a liability shift deadline. The party that does not support EMV (issuer if card doesn't have a chip, merchant if terminal is not chip-enabled) will be liable for fraud after the deadline.

Chip and Sig works everywhere that Chip and PIN works. The only exceptions are some unattended terminals that have not yet been updated, but those are being rectified and will be eliminated.

I posted an Ask/Tell about the payments industry a while ago - feel free to dig it up.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Don't convert the card - you'll miss out on the sign up bonus of $100. Apply for a Quicksilver directly if you want one and get the bonus.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any good signup bonuses floating around right now? My Amex plat yearly fee just came due and retentions offered $100 off, but paying $350/year is still tough to swallow. I'm in the Chicago area and hoping to potentially travel internationally in the next year.

Hold out a little longer.

I waited another 30 days, and they gave me 40,000 points.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

asur posted:

I don't think anyone has any idea about how Amex targets the 100k plat offer or targets offers in general. The Amex PRG 50k/1k may be the best offer currently available. 50k points with only 1k in spend required, $200 airline credit, and no annual fee make it ridiculous value and you don't have any upfront investment. The card has good 3x and 2x categories, slightly better than CSP with 3x on flights, slightly worse in missing a broad travel category. You also get another card with Amex offers, which can be worth anywhere from a small amount to quite a bit dependent on how lucky you are. I don't think I'd pay the annual fee, but first year should be free.

How are you getting the 50K/1K PRG offer to show up? I'm only seeing 25K/2K :(

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Bentai posted:

I was under the impression you could ask your credit card provider to change the card to be chip+pin as the primary authentication method.

No.

Rated PG-34 posted:

I think you can always just phone them and add a pin, which is supposed to be for cash advances, but presumably works at machines that want chip+pin.

No.

TraderStav posted:

Chip and sig sucks so bad.

Yes.

Almost every card in the US is issued with the Signature CVM (cardholder verification method) for POS sales. Having PIN for ATM does not make it available for POS.

At the same time, the number of POS UATs (unattended terminals, like at train stations) that don't accept Signature or No CVM is dwindling. Years ago, this was a common problem. Now, even most train stations accept Sig/No CVM.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

wyoak posted:

If it's from a US bank probably not - debit chip and pin works by sending the PIN to the bank over the wire, and the issuer checks it and either allows or rejects the transaction. In EMV chip and pin, the pin is stored on the card and does not need to be sent over the wire (this allows for offline validation).

Not exactly.

PIN for mag stripe and EMV work the same way - they are both validated "online" by the card issuers. In some markets, offline PIN is also a CVM option for EMV, but this is becoming very rare, and is subject to transaction dollar amount limits due to increased likelihood of fraud.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

surrender posted:

Got approved for the Sapphire Reserve :getin: 24K credit limit, even though I already have 16K with my Sapphire Preferred.

Aren't the only application links available at this point without the sign up bonus?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Barry posted:

If you're just looking for a good general purpose card with no AF, pretty hard to do better than the Citi Doublecash.

Not that hard; the Fidelity Visa is objectively better and you also get one of the two best checking accounts available (the other being Schwab).

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Barry posted:

Nah, the cards themselves are a wash. Slightly lower FTF and Visa on the Fidelity, Price rewind, (I think) lower redemption thresholds and Mastercard on the Doublecash. Supposedly Fidelity's CC department puts Citi's to shame for incompetence too, for what that's worth.

If you care about a Fidelity account, get a Fidelity account.

FTF is 2% lower (3% vs. 1%).
You get your 2% cashback up front instead of though a stupid matching mechanism.
Dunno what redemption threshold is on the Double Cash buts it's $25 for automatic redemption to a checking account for Fidelity.
Fidelity recently switched to Elan (US Bank), who is much better than FIA (Bank of America), who they were using before (and better than Citi).
Also, Fidelity occasionally has a $50-100 sign-up bonus.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Barry posted:

The mechanism isn't "stupid", it's incredibly simple. You don't need an external account to get your rewards (that's probably more stupid), they just get applied as a statement credit or a check whenever you feel like it.

If you need a travel card, get a travel card or a Schwab debit or something. Paying even 1% FTF is probably too much.

Anyway, the advantages and disadvantages are a wash. If you're in the Fidelity ecosystem, get the Fidelity. If you have Citi accounts, probably makes more sense to get the Citi. If there's a signup bonus, get the Fidelity (or Chase Freedom). If none of these are true, get the Citi.

Not sure why your final conclusion is to get the Citi when there are no real advantages over the Fidelity, or why your recommendation for travelers is to get another card when we're explicitly talking about the card to hold if you only want one, but ok.

You can get Fidelity rewards without the Fidelity checking account in check format, too.

Your point that the products are similar stands, but your point that the products are a wash doesn't.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

I still don't get why everyone loves Schwab so much. Is it just the free checking/atms?

Yes, and no FX fees combined with great service. Fidelity's product is identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Just got a 70,000 bonus points for $4,000 of spending in the first 3 months offer from Chase Sapphire Preferred. $0 fee for first year, $95 after that. Good deal? I've got business travel coming up that I get reimbursed for, should be $1500-2000 I can put on a personal card.

Where is this offer available?