Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mercrom posted:

I think it's dumb that they solved the technical challenge of open world coop but still won't let me play through the entire game with a friend. If I could do that I would have bought this on release but as it is I might wait.

Ideally, the storyline would accommodate two players by explaining that the main character has an identical twin who is never directly addressed by any NPCs in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Moartoast posted:

This made it all the more baffling when they turned out to be compressed to hell, like they were from the first Assassin's Creed or something. If it's supposed to be their masks muffling their voices, it sure as poo poo doesn't sound like it.

Oh my god. The NPC audio quality in FC3 was so loving bad at times. It sounded like it came out of a PSX game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Far Cry 3 sold well because it's pure frosting. It's the most obvious, back-patting type of design that appeals to a ton of people. That's not to say it's bad for being brain-dead, it's just an entirely different approach without many peaks and valleys.

Most things that people consider tedious in FC2 are what make it great. You're a lovely nobody struggling with everything from your equipment to your malaria, the world hates you, and when you pull off something amazing it feels so much more rewarding and personal, a result of your manipulation of the systems rather than your ability to hold down a button until everything blows up good.

Totally agree. It's bright and colorful and there's very little investment required to get to the point where you're basically an unstoppable source of explosions. The game was designed for mindless, instant gratification.

blackguy32 posted:

I actually kind of miss the original Far Cry with its out there plot with scientific experiments. While the Tri gens were hilariously unbalanced, I really loved the concept of fighting through a jungle with mercs and those things out there loving each other up and trying to gently caress you up. Plus it had what the newer games seem to lack, decent indoor environments.

Yeah, that sci-fi flavor helped mix things up so that you weren't stuck ultimately fighting the same military dude in a jungle over and over again for 20-30 hours. That's probably the worst thing about FC2 to me, is that you had soldiers and snipers and that was basically it. FC3's animals helped reintroduce some variety into the combat and environments, but it wasn't without its flaws.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

I just wish they'd stop loving UK customers around RE steam, nobody wants Uplay or origin, they will never catch up to steams market share and people don't need 3 sets of friends lists or whatever. just get the loving message and drop them jesus christ.

But aren't you excited about the Steam UBI Holiday Sale, where games will be discounted by up to (and including!) 30%?!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

FC2 was literally a jihad sim if you equipped ieds, an rpg and an ak or dragunov and just hid in the rocks ambushing convoys :allears:

The only thing I regret is that I couldn't pack mortar tubes full of dry ice and then aim them at targets so that they went off long after I was out of the area/attacking from a completely different direction.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doom isn't trying to make a statement about race.

Then why are the brown imps more dangerous than the white former humans?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The other weird thing is that hunting animals has only really been "core" to one of the three main (currently) released Far Cry games, and none of the godawful periphery Far Cry games (like "Instincts", etc.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Trudis posted:

On the topic of Ubisoft hand-holding, Ziggy's Mod for FC3 made the game for me. Replaces the minimap with a simple compass, removes the wallhack spotting system, unlocks the wingsuit from the start along with all the story-locked skills. Also removed the animal symbols on the pause menu map and upped the crafting requirements so it was actually a challenge to hunt down and collect materials. It honestly felt like it was the way the game was always supposed to be, but wasn't because they had to dumb it down.

In the same sense that I really only enjoyed FC2 with Dylan's Mod, I only really enjoyed FC3 with Ziggy's Mod. Ziggy's Mod actually makes you feel like you're earning new weapons, and it's nice to see NPCs in more "subdued" outfits and carrying a wider variety of weapons. The whole game is a lot more challenging, especially with some of the harder versions of the mod.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Swartz posted:

Did anyone else get a preorder for Far Cry 4 with a video card purchase?

I punched in the code to UPlay, it was accepted, but in UPlay Far Cry 4 doesn't show up under my Games list. I know it isn't out yet, but I assume it would still be listed under my games.

Did anyone else have this issue or should I contact UPlay support?

I seem to recall that when I bought a FC3 key off of somebody as a reward for buying a GPU, I didn't have it show up until I installed the game, and Uplay wouldn't preload poo poo like Steam does, so it was basically last-minute.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You should be able to skin, say, 10 enemies, and make a skin out of them that you can wear that enables you to get closer to opponents before they realize who you are.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Truth be told, if I could just cobble together some sort of Man-Beast suit, I'd be happy. Head of an elephant, body of a tiger, a black person's hands, a white person's feet, bird wings, and a belt made of monkey heads.

I *think* I saw somewhere that suggested this feature would be included in the game, sooooooo *fingers crossed*

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Far Cry 3 is $10 on Steam this weekend.

In the US, it's $7.49, or $10 for the "Franchise Pack", which includes FC1, FC2, FC3, FC3's DLC, and Blood Dragon. You'd have to be retarded to skip that sort of deal, especially if you don't own any of the games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Segways are in the game, as well as wearing dog pelt-suits in order to trigger a "Furry Fury" achievement.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rather Dashing posted:

I wish this game had a Fallout 3 type option where I could murder the DJ and not have to listen to his banal, repetitious nattering. I swear to God I've heard him talk about soldiers riding elephants a hundred times already and I haven't even uncovered half of the map yet.

In Jagged Alliance 2, you could order items in-game and have them delivered to an airport you controlled. The problem was that the shipping-and-receiving clerk was a thief who would occasionally steal parts of your shipments. So you'd likely choose to kill him--at least the first time--only to later find out that he's replaced with somebody significantly worse than him.

What I'm saying is that you should be able to kill that man, if only to have him replaced with somebody ten times worse.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Okay so how difficult is this game? Like...I've said it before, but I found FC3 to be incredibly easy, even on the difficulty setting they added after release. Since FC4 is so similar to FC3, I have the feeling that it's similarly easy, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Seriously, it feels like games where sprint is toggled (rather than held) is really uncommon.

• Locked thread