Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Basically we have to hope the Dems don't horribly bungle the 2020 Presidential.

This is as much dependent upon whether the next recession hits before Hillary's re-election, or after. Combined with voter fatigue, a 2018-9 recession would make it difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

As I said, I'm skeptical of assigning too much weight to generational explanations for political leanings, but the question here isn't whether there will be a mass politic of liberal millennials in 15-20 years, but rather whether Obama will inspire a wave of future Democratic politicians who fill up the state legislatures and Congress in the same way that Reagan inspired, say, Paul Ryan.

http://www.people-press.org/files/legacy-pdf/11-3-11%20Generations%20Release.pdf

Actually generational gaps do explain a good chunk voting patterns, essentially forever (til people die). The fact that the original new dealers still totally defied the stereotype of old people being conservatives across 10 years of elections is pretty cool evidence of this.

What matters is who is president when you're in your formative political years. Those who started paying attention under Bush are going to be permanently scarred by how bad he was, and it's still too early to tell, but I'm curious how Obama impacts those who came of age under him.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if they'll wait to run against each other and see who sticks more, but the most likely scenario is that Kamala Harris runs for Senate, and Gavin has dibs on governor once old man Brown is finally gone. Gavin's been eyeing the governor spot for a long time, and I don't think has nearly as strong national aspirations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ah, sweet. I'm wondering who'll run for governor in 2018 though (and I hope it's just her in the field, given how our primary system works).

If Harris runs for Senate (and wins, which is probable but hardly certain), it's Gavin. It's very likely they discussed this and divvied it up so that Harris gets Senate, Gavin gets Governor.

Gavin's been the heir apparent for governor for a while, and would be governor right now if Brown hadn't resurrected himself.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Steyer's out. The likelihood of Senator Harris happening is rapidly approaching 100%.

Wouldn't having only two democrats on the ballot be better for Villaraigosa? The odds of it being two democrats on the final ballot are higher if it's a 3 way race between two republicans and two democrats. Villaraigosa has a better chance in a one on one race with Harris in the second round, if he can tack center/right and try to pick up some conservatives or moderates (who no longer have a candidate).

I'm not saying it's likely, but I'd imagine this is exactly what Villaraigosa wants. He just needs to seem to be the viable anti-Harris.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is an extremely effective ad. I hope Hillary, and other senate senate/congressional candidates, take note and copy its format.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franco Potente posted:

I should say, I'm skeptical of an IA pickup (and if the Dems are winning IA, they already have the Senate), but a strong candidate making Grassley sweat is going to divert desperately needed funds from other, more likely races (NH, PA, OH, etc.).

This, and like pointed out above, it's important to have a decent candidate in case something wacky happens. You don't get the "legitimate rape" victory in Missouri if you don't have anyone running against Todd Akin.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Ben Carson could easily lose a senate run, but win the primary on name recognition alone.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

incidentally daily kos elections' data guy did a democrat wet dream house map

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...might-look-like

but he does in the end admit this borne out by existing data, and he shares a few key districts to watch to see if something real's gonna happen:

note that ME-02, besides having a swing EV according to many, also has a swingy congressional race

Montana and Alaska at large, without even winning the state for Clinton? Seems a bit tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PleasingFungus posted:

definitely feels like the polls are all over the place even in the last days of the election. time to get spooked?

By "all over the place", the extreme outliers are statistical ties on one extreme, and hillary blowouts on the other. I'd count on Hilldawg and her senate peeps to be in pretty solid positions still.

• Locked thread