Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Chantilly Say posted:

Well, no wonder he can't keep the weight off writing a book like that.

Everyone knows the good Lord goes straight to your hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Nameless_Steve posted:

Debate & Discussion > 2016 Presidential Primary: "Glasses Make You Smexy" Edition

That takes care of my nightmares for the foreseeable future...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Not that it matters a bit, but isn't Dean likely on the Clinton blacklist for his opposition to the DLC in 2004 and his backing of Obama early on in the 2008 primary?

If the Clintons are going to keep holding a grudge against anyone who backed Obama in '08, that's going to be a mighty long shitlist. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Not that that is outside the realm of possibility, considering Mark Penn and all...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, unless the situation calls for a white male and Webb is found with a live boy or dead girl, Dean goes Munch, and Emanuel can't be used, in which case Nixon is the last one left alive.

While you keep your friends close, you keep your enemies closer. Which party hosts their convention first in 2015?

You're not getting the nod Rahm, stop deluding yourself.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

I somehow forgot to post this earlier in our discussion of unfortunate Presidential candidate family photos.

Of all the loving places not to have your picture taken...

Hell, of all the loving places AT AUSCHWITZ not to have your picture taken!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I know it shouldn't surprise me anymore at this point, after all the stupid poo poo he's said, but it still baffles me that a renowned neurosurgeon cannot get his head around the concept of infinity. Yes Ben, infinite amount of time means that eventually, one of those hurricanes blasting through junkyards will assemble an aerodynamic wing.

It reminds me of when Ricky Gervais tried explaining infinity to Karl Pilkington with the example of an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters eventually writing the complete works of Shakespeare. He was stumped, but then again, he isn't a neurosurgeon...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Christian homeschool textbooks already teach that the Trail of Tears was a good thing for Native Americans because so many of them gave their lives to Christ.

My cynicism basically knows no bounds, but the little spark of hope left in my heart refuses to believe this is true.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker took a selfie in the White House.

Nailed it.

The poor bastard really has no chin to speak of.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

B B posted:

I'm counting at least 2.

:golfclap:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quinnipiac poll of Iowa Caucus-goers

Peep them gender splits on Huckabee and Rand.

Huh? Huckabee does better with women than men? :confused:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Deep Hurting posted:

He talks like a person recovering from a recent head injury.

He should be able to fix that. He is a neurosurgeon after all.

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

That video was entirely too long.

Still I wouldn’t underestimate Ben Carson as a candidate. He won’t win, but he could give the front-runner a run for his money. He seems to be able to talk about conservative issues without coming across like a idiot/nut-job.

You must have missed how he called Obamacare the worst thing to happen in/to the United States since slavery. On multiple occasions.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 4, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

I fail to see any charisma anywhere in this election, actually. Maybe Deval Patrick if Hillary was out? I've barely seen anything of the guy.

I'm talking about candidates that can maybe win. Christie is going nowhere and Trump will not run.

The GOP field is like the 1988 Dem field. A bunch of people no one outside their own states cares about, with no charisma (all of them), fighting to stop the one candidate who would be guaranteed to lose (all of them).

Stop stomping ask over my dreams :(

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I dunno, maybe Dick Morris knows something's afoot. I sure wouldn't want to be in Hillary's shoes.

Oh, well done sir. :tipshat:

richardfun fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 6, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

mebbe they were thinking of Tampa

we got one of those runnin for guddiner

So that's what a real-life Ken doll looks like...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Here's an ad for Ted Cruz's new book A Time for Truth, which is in no way a campaign ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltW1X7X03m8

Other than showing the title of the book against a black background, is there even any hint in that ad that it's about a book?

Joementum posted:

The latest in Mike Huckabee's scampaign: a cure for the diabetes.

But there's one big problem for Huckabee in this miracle of cinnamon and chromium...

His people keep saying that he's ended all his relationships with these hucksters (heh), but they just keep coming.

It's probably a lot harder to make ends meet without that sweet Fox News paycheck than Huckabee expected. Him whoring himself out like this amuses me to no end. :allears:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Freudian posted:

He looks like Stephen Hawking.

Ah, so I'm not the only one seeing that.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Working on a Sunday has it's advantages, because I get to see news alerts like this before most people.

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) _ AP Source: Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz to launch presidential campaign on Monday.

Not exactly surprising news, but there it is!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

And of course, since this is Ted Cruz we're talking about, he's not just announcing, he's being a dick about it at the same time.

... and delusional.

His campaign book, A Time for Truth, shares its title with a bestseller by former Treasury Secretary Bill Simon which was about the need to reign crushing austerity down on New York City.

Lovely. Let the feeding frenzy begin. :allears:

E: so Joe, you think other candidates who were thinking of a different time table for themselves will now start rushing to announce? I want to see them elbow their way to the first camera they see.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 22, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Obama was born in America to a US citizen mother.
McCain was born in an American territory to a US citizen mother.
Cruz was born in Canada to a US citizen mother.

Will this matter in the primaries? One of Ted's opponents thinks it might.

Trump should call on Cruz to release the (long form) essay he was required to write to renounce his Canadian citizenship. The people have a right to know. :colbert:

Pleeease, I want this to happen so badly. I won't ask for anything until 2020, Santa. :pray:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Huh? I thought Lee was his only friend in Washington...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Under Cruz's bill, if the Ambassador tries to get off the plane in the US and claim diplomatic immunity, any American is allowed to shoot him and say, "It's just been revoked :smug:"

It's taken almost thirty years, but finally, reality is getting ready to mirror the Lethal Weapon films. All we need is Cruz with an 80's mullet.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Sie liebt dich, ja ja ja! There are no words, really.

What do The Beatles have to do with this? :confused:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Primary quote of the day: "I wish her well in this race and I look forward to being able to stay well away from it.” - John Kerry, on Clintons entry into the presidential race.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

As stupid as the idea sounds, the fact that Jeb Bush is dieting so rigidly could actually hurt him in the primaries. Part of bonding with voters is eating whatever horrible local food they put in front of you (see: Fred Thompson eating moose chili).

...but since when was Obama a "tea-sipping President"? The man ate at Ben's Chili Bowl and like every other junk food joint in DC. Oh, right, I forgot. He put loving Grey Poupon on his burgers, that elitist.

That obvious opinion being stated as an outright fact isn't what surprises me. The fact that it's the NYT writing that sentence though....

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

William Bear posted:

Harsh. Huckabee's wife is asking the crowd, if they invited Jefferson, Franklin, Washington, Madison, and Adams over, could they justify the current state of America to them?

I'm guessing at least a few of them might take offense at the current occupant of the White House...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Google "Iraq intelligence work group stove piping" and you should have a good start. They created a special group paralleling the work of the intelligence community that, rather then being reviewed and checked by the experts, went straight to the White House. The group was filled with think tank apparatchiks instead of intelligence people, and somehow what they found in the course of their amateur sleuthing exactly matched what they had written policy papers on before. Then when r intelligence community did check their work and found it was bullshit, it didn't matter because theirs was in desks months ago and was already being used in media appearances

Also run through "Downing Street memo" and "Judith Miller New York Times"

Also, if you're in the mood for an aneurysm, watch the interview Jon Stewart did with her one or two weeks ago. The woman is a goddamn joke, but an infuriating one.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I hate to ruin Joementum's day, but the 'Liberty Bro' t-shirt from Rand's t-shirt voting competition didn't make it to the finals.

It's between Rand dressed up as (what I think is supposed to be) George Washington, and the one with plain text saying the NSA knows 'I' bought this shirt.

A sad day for America, everybody. :negative:

richardfun fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 13, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ShutteredIn posted:

That's... an interesting way to look at American history I suppose.

I'd like to see him work that into his stump speech on an indian reservation.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Most of this is pretty standard Republican rhetoric, but the line about term limits caught me off guard. Did I miss that being a common Republican position somehow?

Actually, the 'FairTax' (Orwell would be so proud of/disgusted by these people) is the one that struck me.

Really? Get rid of ALL taxes and only have a consumption tax? I thought this was an idea that was only embraced by the fringe of the Republican party. I figured it wasn't possible, but I guess I'm still not cynical enough when it comes to American politics...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Primary polls? More like primary :lol:s!

I give it better than even odds that Fox changes the debate entrance criteria by August.

But what other criteria would/could they use?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

They could include all the candidate, either doing one-on-one sessions with each candidate and a panel of moderators, like the Palmetto State Forum from 2012, or multiple debates on the same day with randomly picked candidates.

Another option: just rig it. There's a clear list of plausible candidates, so just do that. I'd invite Bush, Walker, Rubio, Paul, Cruz, Kasich, Perry, Huckabee, Santorum, and Christie. Maybe Reince would rather have Carson than Santorum. That's a perfectly reasonably decision to make too. Oh, and if you can't tell Donald Trump to get lost, you aren't much of a political organization. The RNC should insist on his exclusion no matter what criteria are used.

Why do you insist on crushing my dreams?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I had a ton of fun at the Bernie event and I need more campaigning in my life. Thank God for the Des Moines Register (pro click for those that like this crap).

Some upcoming events that I may attend and give trip reports if people don't mind:

4th of June: Donald Trump will be in my town at an open to the public event. I'm definitely going to this one.

5th of June: Lindsey Graham will be in Waterloo, Iowa. It is a possibility if things align for me.

6th of June Joni Ernst's Inaugural Roast & Ride: Rubio, Graham, Fiorina, Carson, Huckabee, Perry, and walker will all be there throughout the day. It is in Boone Iowa and will be a treasure. It is $30 per adult and frankly that is money I can donate to the Dems instead of her.

6th of June: Scott Walker will also be making a campaign fundraising stop for Chuck Grassley. The event has a yet unknown ticket price (I have to call monday). Depending on the price I may go to this instead. want

In July there is The Family Leadership Summit 2015. This event is free. I just have to register. I'll talk with the girlfriend and see if we can make a day trip out of it. This has Jindal, Huckabee, Cruz, Carson, and Santorum and would be the honeypot for me. I know a few people that love these guys and if I could get a picture with one or two I would be in heaven.

Oh, please do. :pray:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

site posted:

So what's the point of Graham entering the race? Is he the guy the moderates send in the primaries? What's his purpose?

He wants to poo poo all over Rand Paul.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

It'd be just like him to do this now that we won't have Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert to ridicule him.... :(

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'm certain Trump will never officially announce, and if he does there is absolutely no chance he sticks around till Iowa. Trump may be alot of things, but he's not dumb. He knows that if he legitimately ran and ended up in something like 6th place or worse, whatever ego and (littlle) credibility he has would be completely shot and open himself up to a ton of criticism as a joke candidate. Right now he can sit in his gold tower and basically say "I would be the president ever and if I ran I'd win YOOOGE...but I just don't want to."

On a more serious note, I would like a reporter to ask Rand Paul if he thinks Edward Snowden is an american hero (who is the only reason Paul was able to give his theatrical fillibuster), and if he were president, would he let him return to the US with a pardon.

Objection, your honor. Assumes facts not in evidence.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Dude to Perry's left looks like he took a nasty punch to the face at some point.

And is still pissed off about it.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

God, I love these candidate profiles The Onion does.

The Onion posted:

Former Texas governor Rick Perry announced Thursday his candidacy for the 2016 presidential election, hoping to fare better than he did in his unsuccessful bid for the Republican nomination in 2012. Here’s what you need to know about Perry:

Campaign Slogan: “I Studied This Time”

Experience: Effectively and efficiently led bungling of 2012 presidential campaign

Policies: Tough on crime, specifically homosexuality

Death Penalty Record: Undefeated, 234-0

Political Base: Unsettling white guys in wraparound Oakleys

Biggest Political Asset: Looks pretty presidential on muted TV at airport

Biggest Liability: Public forums

Greatest Political Accomplishment: Provided underserved minorities and mentally retarded individuals with access to quality executions

Oh, And: Was recently issued felony indictment for abuse of power as Texas governor

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Ok, which of the losers in the polls asked them to sign their name to that?

KiteAuraan posted:

"IS THAT!? IT IS! JOHN MCCAIN HAS JUMPED INTO THE RING AND IS HELPING GRAHAM! HE HAS A CHAIR! AND CRUZ GOES DOWN! WHAT A BRUTAL TAG TEAM BEATING!"

:golfclap:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Is he really sinking his own money into his primary campaign ('Heidi and me are investing our livelihood', etc), or is that just a bald faced lie?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Is it just me, or is this whole 'turning an announcement speech into a 3 hour event' thing new this year? I don't remember them trotting out a dozen 'special guests' and a preacher in previous campaign years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

They will all come together for ROAD TO MAJORITY

This Wednesday through Saturday

http://www.roadtomajority.com/

It's not a party unless Gohmert and King are there :allears:

• Locked thread