Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

That's uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, there's actually going to be a kiddie table debate? :stare:

They're actually going to do it? I thought that was just a rumor. So the Fiorinas and Patakis and Jindals of the race have their time to shine? Is that it?

Some New Hampshire newspaper threatened to organize an alternative debate for those not in the top-10 in the polling average, and Fox relented. Kiddie table in the afternoon, big boy debate at night.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Not sure if this has been posted yet (I'm a bit behind on the thread) but apparently, Rubio fancies himself a regular Captain America.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

OneTwentySix posted:

. . . Who is passionate about Marco Rubio to the point that they'd buy and wear that shirt? I can see from a free shirt standpoint, but what kind of person cares about Rubio enough to say, "Yeah, I totally want that shirt, take my money!"

But it's Limited Edition!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Trump has still not filed paperwork with the FEC :ssh:

Someone called him out on it (can't remember who). Trump or one of his lackeys was whining about it on Twitter.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

A lot of Hillary voters would settle for Bernie.

I take it Comb Choice has something to do with The Donald? :v:

Christ, that is one doughy family.

E: lol, didn't even notice the dog at first.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Firebert posted:

How the ever living gently caress is Trump second?

Don't ask questions, you'll jynx it! :ohdear:

Joementum posted:

The question is: what could Donald Trump possibly say that's so dumb he'd sink his campaign? This is from his talk to the Maryland Republicans last night:

The snippets of Trump's interview with Bill O'Reilly were also just...delicious. Any other candidate would start asking themselves some serious questions if they got mocked by O'Reilly. Luckily, The Donald is not 'any other candidate'.

A nice link here with video and some choice quotes. Picking a favourite is like saying which of my nieces and nephews I like best, but I think I have to go with this one. It's short, pithy and 110% Trump.

Cartoonesque blowhard with a hairpiece posted:

“There’s nobody bigger or better at the military than I am,”

richardfun fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 25, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Trump, of course, is taking this well

This whole statement is written in the third person and then in the last sentence, it suddenly switches to the first.

I know in the grand scheme of all things Trump, this is a minor quibble, but it's just so weird.

Edit: Ah, so you guys noticed this as well.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

God, I keep feeling like I'm having the best dream and I can wake up at any minute.

'A reception in his honor'. Honestly, if we could somehow harvest energy from The Donald's ego, the oil companies would go out of business. :allears:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I will never ever tire of The Donald's one facial expression, or him shamelessly complimenting himself.

Donald Trump giving up 'The Apprentice' to run for president

quote:

Washington (CNN) Don't expect a new season this fall: Donald Trump is giving up "The Apprentice" so that he can run for president.

The Republican real estate mogul cited the popular reality show as evidence that he "gave up hundreds of millions of dollars in deals and potential, you know, things that I do," in an interview aired Sunday with CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union."

"In all fairness, I don't want it to sound trivial, NBC renewed 'The Apprentice,' because we had a great season last season. And they would love me not to be doing this, I will tell you right now," Trump said.

"I mean the top people come to my office and they said, 'Please do this,'" he boasted of NBC executives, adding that because of his presidential run, "essentially, legally, I'm not allowed to do it."

Also, Mike Huckabee is not just peddling biblical cancer cures, but is also dabbling in mental health care. His first patient: Chief Justice John Roberts. And he's not letting go of this whole 'nullify Supreme Court gay marriage ruling' schtick.

Mike Huckabee Says He Wouldn’t Listen To Court’s Ruling As President

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee says Chief Justice John Roberts “apparently needs medication for schizophrenia,” citing his decision last week to dissent in the Supreme Court ruling that same-sex marriage bans are unconstitutional but also writing the majority opinion upholding federal subsidies in Obamacare.

Huckabee further added if he was president he would not follow the rulings of the Supreme Court.

“I would say the Supreme Court has issued a ruling, we will review it, we will respect it, but we will not follow it, because it goes against the will of voters in over 30 states,” said Huckabee.

Huckabee was speaking with the Iowa radio show “Mickelson in the Morning” on Friday when he made the comments.

“Justice Roberts apparently needs medication for schizophrenia because his opinion is almost the direct opposite of his logical in the opinion yesterday,” Huckabee said to Jan Mickelson on Friday.

“Yesterday, the Supreme Court, with Roberts agreeing, essentially rewrote a law that Congress screwed up. They legislated from the bench. They did something they are constitutionally prohibited from doing. That they are restricted from doing. They did it anyway, just to save Obamacare. They made a political decision, not a legal one. They clearly flew in the face of the law.”

Citing the ruling that same-sex marriage bans were unconstitutional, Huckabee said the Supreme Court had become the “extreme court” and decided it was “the Supreme Being” and that “it could overrule the laws of nature and of nature’s God.”

“Today, they did the same thing, except this time Roberts, I guess woke up and realized that the Supreme Court was becoming the extreme court, that it had decided it was no longer just the Supreme Court — it was the Supreme Being,” said Huckabee.

“It has today acted as if it could overrule the laws of nature and of nature’s God. Today was not a ruling about same-sex marriage, that’s what I keep hearing. This was not quality of marriage, this was about redefinition of marriage, and Scalia got it right. The rest of the majority, including Kennedy, got it incredibly wrong.”

Huckabee made further comments in line with his Friday written statement from his campaign: “I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat.”

He told the Iowa radio host his reading of the Constitution said the court could not make laws, but only give opinions.

“Five unelected people in black robes cannot write laws,” said Huckabee. He added most of the justices, citing comments from Scalia, were either from the West or East coasts, or went to Harvard or Yale law school.

“While that shouldn’t matter, it clearly does matter because you don’t have a representative cross section of America on the court,” said Huckabee.

“The Supreme Court overstepped their bounds and until the Congress of the United States, consisting of elected representatives from the people, present a bill to enable such a thing and until the president signs it and agrees to enforce it, it is not the law of the land. It remains an opinion of the court, nothing but an opinion of the court.”

“The courts simply cannot overturn the ultimate authority in the United States under our Constitution: the people themselves,” he added.

Huckabee added government officials shouldn’t have to issue marriage licenses to LGBT couples because there’s been no legislation to authorize them to do so.

He further cited the Dred Scott decision to ask if those who endorse same-sex marriage would support the court if there was a future ruling in which the court changed their mind.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Who wants more fun with Trump

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/615268729748893696

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
Univision apologized to me but I will not accept their apology. I will be sueing them for a lot of money. Miss U.S.A. contestants are hurt!

Sueing

I really want to believe Trump writes all his own tweets, or angrily and loudly dictates them to one of his minions.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

I stole it from Charles Pierce, who also coined referring to Newt exclusively as The Definer of Civilization's Rules and Leader (possibly) of the Civilizing Forces, based on the old Newt doodle.

I read Pierce, but I never 'got' the 'human bowling jacket' one.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

It's hard reading that and not think that people who hand over their money to a place called Trump University deserve to lose it.

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker is pre-announcing the unveiling of the logo of the campaign that he won't announce for another two weeks. :psyduck:

What is that thing in the upper right corner?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Oh, I almost forgot. This happened too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrEmQk3u88U

Yup, that was a thing.

They do realize that song is about a younger guy creeping on an older woman, right?

I just answered my own question.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Best way to start out: focus on the empty stage bit!

Well, between that and Scott Walker's face, it is the more exciting image.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Like literally everything else he says or thinks that wasn't directly fed to him by a donor, he's just aping Reagan here.

Is it Walker who got married on Reagan's birthday and celebrates his anniversary every year by eating Saint Ronnie's favourite dishes (I remember something disgusting about jelly beans)?

richardfun fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 4, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Noooo Scotty, pull up!

"Join me in wishing our 43rd President, George W. Bush a very happy birthday. - SKW"

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

derra posted:

Regardless of the actual outcome, EU leaders have to tell their constituents how tough they are being on Greece, so I'm not sure why people are taking quotes at face value.

Wrong thread?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Hottest of takes.

"Trump is strong, that's part of his strength" - Mark Halperin.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

It's 'MS Media', not 'Ms', so I'm guessing he abbreviated 'Mainstream' for some reason.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Trump is pissing off some important donors and backers. The message was to them, "don't back off, we have this situation well in hand". Make the call, leak it to the press, they learn of it, they don't abandon you.

Except Priebus doesn't exactly come across as 'having the Trump situation well in hand' after that last Twitter volley from The Donald.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

You can't control Trump, he's a physical representation of the ideological purity of the Tea Party nuts that they unleashed a few years ago. He's the GOP id.

I guess the only negative from him running will be making the other candidates look less insane, assuming he lasts another month. If he doesn't make it into the first debate, I don't see him sticking around unless he comes up with some luxurious classy alternative (which would be awesome).

I know. I'm just wondering what possessed Priebus to try to talk Trump down in the first place. If he thought he had a chance in hell of succeeding, he must've been even more drunk than he usually seems.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 9, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

It's not just "dude shut up" it's that there is pushback from the establishment, which signals that the establishments goals are opposed to Trumps. The message being sent is that "Trump is attacking immigration, we are pro immigration"

Aaah, what you're saying is Reince never expected to get anywhere with Trump. That makes more sense.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Scott Walker: "I'd like the Koch's to buy the world"

I don't get it. :confused:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Yup, too young and non-American to get that reference.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Hey are you a creepy shut-in white dude? (Obviously, yes, you're a goon) Well, you can record your personal endorsement of Rand Paul!

Click here to watch a few.

I want Chuck from Nevada to run :allears:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Maybe it's time for two threads? Having to filter through pages of premature and increasingly pedantic slapfights over Bernie's chances in order to laugh at the GOP Retard Roundup is getting old.

[b]2016 Republican Primary Thread: GOP Meltdown Fun Zone

2016 Democratic Primary Thread: Dumb Goon Slapfight Zone[\b]

I'm Richardfun and I approve this message.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Walker: God told me

I see God is still in the 'trolling Republicans' business. Has he whispered in anyone else's ear this cycle yet?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I would genuinely love to hear more about why Walker is worse. He strikes me as more of an empty suit than a deranged true believer, but then again I haven't had to be personally governed by him.

Edit: Oh I forgot about the anti-transparency thing. How the gently caress can a supposedly populist candidate get away with that bullshit?

The man got married on Reagan's birthday and celebrates his anniversary with his wife by eating all of Saint Ronnie's favourite dishes.

He's a true believer.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Walker is what happens when you take the crookedness of Nixon, mix it with the policies of Reagan, give it the intellectual curiosity of W Bush, and then the full financial backing of the Koch brothers.

You make it sound so much more terrible than me :ohdear:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

If it's Rand none. :patriot:

Unless they're black

And robbing a liquor store.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

AFL-CIO President released a statement on Scott Walker's candidacy announcement:

LINK

:perfect:

Well, it's pithy.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And says all that really needs to be said!

Is it me, or are progressive people and groups really turning up the snark this cycle? There's this statement and the DNC 'warmly' welcoming Trump to the race on Twitter.

I feel like I'm forgetting other examples.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'd like to think that, if nothing else, they've learned from the Obama years that there's little to be gained from behaving respectfully and even-handedly toward a party which loudly and repeatedly calls anyone to the left of (their imaginary version of) St. Reagan America hating traitors who should all be deported and/or summarily executed.

And even if that isn't true, it sure is nice to daydream.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Santorum still aiming to be the most dickish candidate. It's nice to have some certainty in this circus of a primary.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Caithness posted:

I just skipped 70 pages of this thread. If it doesn't get split into republican and democratic primary threads I'll probably just have to give up.

I feel like there's plenty of support for this idea right now (I sure as hell am for it) and I haven't really seen anyone speak out against it.

So mods. What say you?

richardfun fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 14, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

don Jaime posted:

Also, a nuclear Iran leads to a nuclear Saudi Arabia and maybe other states like Turkey or Egypt. The more idiot countries that have bombs, the more likely somebody gets nuked when a flock of geese gets misread on radar. Nuclear non-proliferation is the way to go. We really need to stop pretending and squeeze Israel to give up theirs as well.

Also, ponies unicorns for everyone.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Trump has filed with the FEC. And of course, his statement begins with two paragraphs of bragging, how these forms weren't designed ' for someone of Mr. Trump's wealth'. :allears:

Phone posting, so no link or screen atm.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

I owe you guys a screenshot.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Better question, why wouldn't you just use Richard?

Because then Charles Pierce would have to come up with a different nickname for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Hahahahahahaha. McCain taking a shot at someone for having had multiple wives. At least Trump didn't abandon any of them while they were sick (afaik).

Meanwhile, Trump seems to be taking aim at a new target. Is it one of his political rivals? An important donor or Republican party figure?

Nope, it's libertarian magician Penn Jillette.

Also, still, Macy's.

• Locked thread