Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Anyone else have conservative friends going nuts on facebook about the Oatmeal comic about Ted Cruz saying Net Neutrality = Obamacare? Going nuts as in like "this comic is rad gently caress you Ted Cruz"?

I think part of it is that they got spooked when Netflix stopped streaming awhile back and part of it is that they don't want anything more positive than the Holocaust compared to Obamacare, but still just kind of surprising in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah Mitt really is the Republicans' best option, I don't think he had much of a chance in 2008 post GW Bush and against superstar Obama but after 8 years of supposedly-terrible Obama and that puffy documentary he would have MORE of a shot, at least. I don't think any of those other guys in the CNN poll have much of a chance, I mean J Bush or Christie I can sort of imagine but it's hard.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean he's [e: Christie's] clearly Nixonian-bordering-on-mobster and I think people will see that but after Bush winning in 2004 I'm forced to remain a touch agnostic about it.

(I don't mean Bush was Nixonian I mean he was clearly in over his head and incompetent and at that point "I thought people would see that", too... the media is a little less pathetic than it was back then, though.)

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 2, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I’ve definitely perceived an uptick in the perception of him doing this.

Bold words. (but yeah I think he'll run)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think he's referring to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagatose
or molecules like it -- sugar isomers (may be wrong word, I only took intro chemistry)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

FAUXTON posted:

A Fisher-Price toy telephone wearing a rug. That's pretty close.

Okay your powers of observation are very good.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

What do N, H and C mean in this chart? Am I stupid?
N = Nate Silver, not sure who the other two are but presumably two other 538 people. It's just their "totally subjective" guts I think.

edit: Harry Enten and Carla Correa

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

OK, thanks. I thought they were labeling voter's party or something.

Why are Chris Christie, Scott Walker and Jeb Bush not on this graph? Are they just analyzing underdogs or some poo poo or are those guys "the field"? Because if it's a list of long shots then where's Sarah Palin?

Looking at this list, I'm very optimistic about Hillary's chances if she runs because, my God, that's a lovely list of Presidential candidates. I mean, that's really, really bad. The GOP is going to HAVE to nominate Jeb to have a chance, aren't they? Or is there some dark horse candidate I haven't considered yet?
It's the second, "others" chart, the top 5 are on the first chart
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/listen-to-our-totally-subjective-2016-presidential-odds-for-early-february-2015/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I know everyone here hates Maher's show but has anyone noticed how bad his audiences are? Like, total hamster-pedal "he brought up something bad" stuff AND there are some conspicuously BIG laughers for some of his clunkers, like maybe that's their job and they need to tone it down a little because it's distracting.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nameless_Steve posted:

I love when Bill Maher makes an okay-to-good joke and gets nothing, and then he gets all upset that his audience doesn't understand his genius.
Actually I do kind of like that about him, in that it's hard for a comic to get away with something like that and sometimes he has a point. Sometimes though yeah it makes his bad joke clunk even harder. Really Bill you thought that was a winner?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

MariusLecter posted:

Wasn't Maher the inspiration for the Brian character in Family Guy?
I always had the sense that he was a Seth McFarland self-insert but I haven't watched that show in a long time.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I wonder how the Stewart haters will feel about Oliver 15 years from now. Not great, I am guessing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

PupsOfWar posted:

damnit Jeb you can't select "all of the above" for everybody when you play gently caress-marry-kill -hire with W
No you see he's going to marry these guys, kill the enemies of Israel, and gently caress the country.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I did it myself and I've done it with my kids when I couldn't find their boots because I can never find kid anything.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
For us it was sock, then bag, then sock, then shoe.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

quote:

“‘March’ is a military term,” explained Todd Kiscaden, 64, who had traveled to Selma from his home in Tennessee to defend the memorial site. “In any military context, if you’re going to march on my castle, I’m going to man my barricades.”
Other threats to his castle: madness, dimes, penguins.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If Jeb doesn't lift off I think Rand Paul has an actual chance... of catching on.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Three Olives posted:

Rand Paul is mentally ill and full of reprehensible, repugnant and just plain stupid beliefs along with being a habitual liar. He's is very much like Perry in the sense that as long as you have limited exposure to him he sounds like "common sense" conservative with the fake libertarian bent that is so popular these days but he will implode the second he is given enough time to talk to broad audience.
Totally agree but if Jeb doesn't catch on then the R nominee IS going to be a reprehensible, repugnant and just plain stupid liar. It's just a question of which one.

edit: I'd drop the "plain stupid" for a few of them, I guess.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 19, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Three Olives posted:

Surely it wouldn't take long for anyone unfamiliar with him to realize that his MO could be charitably described as useless prick. He's not even liked on the right wing, is he?
He's on the libertarian poo poo-list (Bolton is -- hope you're sitting down -- is interventionist and has criticized Rand Paul etc.) but I think your average conservative likes him OK. I think Bolton's only path to nomination would be if the wheels fell off every other "establishment" option, and even then there might be a move to get some random person to step in.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Palestinians have suffered enough.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haha. The title for this one should be "elided subtext"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah that. I mean if there were A PUPPETMASTER his purpose would be to make the still-very-establishment guy look LESS establishment but yeah there isn't.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chamale posted:

Did anyone else notice that Jindal choose a stupid date to announce? On June 24, SCOTUS is expected to rule on either gay marriage or Obamacare subsidies, so Jindal won't get much media attention for his announcement.
Maybe he wants other events to distract from how bizarre, wooden and stilted his announcement will be.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm not a baseball stats guy but how do you have a 200/200/200 slash line and a really good "Weighted Runs Created" stat? Is it just noisy because of a small sample or something?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Weekend at Frankie's

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

Paul is 0-1 so far with a pop fly out to the Dems pitcher, Cedric Richmond, in foul territory.
Haha, I mean they're old folks but still this is an indictment of somebody in the infield.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Litany Unheard posted:

Does Jindal have a millionaire/billionaire sugar-daddy like half the Republican field seems to? Because I'm having trouble figuring out who gives money to a Jindal Super PAC. He's a term-limited, unpopular governor who polls below Donald Trump nationally.

Is it just the usual corporate suspects hedging their bets in case Jindal-mania sweeps the nation?
Some of the money probably comes from people he appointed (I'm sure it happens in every state but Louisiana is Louisiana).
(a few years ago but http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/11/bobby_jindals_political_appoin.html )

I'm sure oil is part of the picture, too, and yeah some small group of people still probably think he could be the Republican's Obama.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

New campaign logo for Carson:

I can't tell if this response is weird in a good way from an advertising perspective or what, but it's weird.
-cars on america?
-Oh, Ben Carson.
-Wait what was with Carson America?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have no idea what Trump's finances are but a lot of it has to be brand-relevant, so while he will die plenty-rich regardless this poo poo has got to hurt in terms of his future income.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Sorry friend, if someone lays out a republican candidate for not supporting gay people, empty rhetoric, bombing brown people, being generally blasé about the wealth gap - yes I'm going to draw parallels every time.
That sounds great friend looking forward to reading these parallels going forward they will be really fun and informative and lead to an enlightening discussion that is not at all tedious!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

neonnoodle posted:

Rick Perry has the "handsome idiot" look absolutely 100% of the time and I love it :allears:
To me Scott Walker always looks like someone asked the dumb guy to pretend to be smart.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vox Nihili posted:

Looking at PredictIt, I thought this was interesting:

Do people think a no-action letter is sufficient? (I don't think there's a separate thread for this stuff, so I'm asking here.)
Hard to say from down here but sounds like one of those things that is "sufficient, subject to re-evaluation if you get huge or if there is a scandal"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He isn't below average but for a president yeah he's a moron.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oh my god he has got an AXE RUNNNNNN

Hey government, do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

DaveWoo posted:

POLITICO rushes to assure us that Scott Walker being a college dropout is perfectly okay and something voters shouldn't worry their pretty little heads about.
I mean it isn't really POLITICO it's a couple professors, for one it's his major research thesis (that government is too "white collar" and basically benefits only the upper class) and the other had access to relevant data. I mean I basically agree with their point and also think Walker is awful.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Luigi Thirty posted:

If only there were some kind of Great Leap we could take Forward where we could have government run by people who don't know what they're doing and also make lattes in backyard furnaces out of raw milk.
I don't like know-nothingism or anti-intellectualism or whatever you call "giving the equipment/land of rich people who know how to do things to poor people who don't" but we're just talking about individual politicians' college degrees, here. To me it SOUNDS LIKE Walker went to school intent on running the student government and when he poo poo the bed there he gave up on it. Not a great omen but who really needs to read the tea leaves with a guy like Scott Walker.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He's probably just making a haha but Luntz always says he wears the shoes to distract you from how he is ugly or fat or something, I forget.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Would Trump be allowed to retain his businesses and commercial real estate were he hypothetically elected?
He would probably put them in a blind trust.

arg Joementum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haha. I mean it won't end badly because it never really started.

• Locked thread