Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Well yeah, i hope you're right otherwise we will get Naruto 2.0. :tinfoil:

Yeah, I'm already tired of Bakugou and Deku's relationship. Dude's an rear end in a top hat who has bullied you for 10 years of your life, then just tried to murder you, stop wanting to be friends with him holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

RatHat posted:

You realize a protagonist going bad doesn't automatically make a bad story right? Naruto just handled it really poorly.

I think he means the whole 'Naruto endlessly tries to make friends with Sasuke to the point of refusing to believe Sasuke isn't a Good Person, even after Sasuke tries to kill him and Sakura multiple times, tries to kill a bunch of Kages, tries to ruin peace meetings, and etc. etc. bits.

If Bakugou becomes evil and Deku goes HE'S MY FRIEND I HAVE TO SAVE HIM FROM BEING EVIL despite us only ever seeing Bakugou act like a huge dick to him, then this will be 'naruto 2.0'

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm kind of wondering if this isn't going to end up with Deku asking Eraserhead to teach him martial arts, to supplement his powers for as long as he needs it. While it wouldn't be as great as on someone who can erase quirks, it'd make him a credible threat to some villains without having to worry about breaking a finger or arm every time he has to fight.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dr_Amazing posted:

Wasn't that just in school?

Nope. there's laws against using them for transportation to get to work too, as well as other ones probably. Heroes are unique in that they can use their powers mostly unrestricted.

But yeah, not everyone has amazing powerful quirks.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Heroes seem to be state sponsored celebrities kinda. They make it so heroics and being a hero is not only encouraged but so that even people who aren't All Might or Superman or whatever who are moral and good people and would always be heroes want to do so. If you can get sponsored by the state and live a happy healthy life comfortable as hell, why would you take your power and blow up a bank and rob it? Especially since even if you do that, there's tons of people just as strong as you waiting to stop you.

It encourages even the greedy to take a better path than villainy. At the same time you could easily argue they are basically state bought mercenaries bribed to keep the peace, like I've seen some people complain about.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ethiser posted:

It is even crazier than Quirk transfer. All For One is some magic power totally unrelated to Quirks. No one should be able to guess what is really going on. It is like if Captain Marvel joined the X-men.

I wonder if the teacher's Quirk stopping power even works on it.

It does, we saw that in chapter 6-7, whenever the first day of school test was, when he forced him to not pitch at full power, because crippling yourself makes you a worthless hero.

It's still possibly some quirk - note that Midoriya's mom is a 'fourth generation' according to the first chapter. That makes Midoriya part of the fifth generation of power holders. Assuming that there was some rarity early on, there could easily be sixth, seventh, even eighth generation power holders his age.

All For One is a quirk that takes the power of its holder, and then can be passed downwards, giving the next holder the ability to access the might of all the previous holders. It grows stronger the more generations it is passed down. We don't know what generation of holder All Might himself is, but it's not fair to say it's a 'magic power unrelated to Quirks'.

Even if eight generations isn't enough to justify how amazingly strong they are, you can easily handwave it to say it's stronger than just eight people's strength because reasons, or go with like, Apocalypse from X-Men. A quirk that manifested before quirks became a thing people knew about, just like how Apocalypse was a mutant 4000 years before mutants became a common thing.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I have to say that so far, all the raging about Tsuyu aside, Grape Boy has to be my personal favorite character. Poor little guy. Do your best!!! :unsmith:

I like Ashido, the bug-ish looking girl with the black eyes. She hasn't had much screen time (well she has, sorta) or done much, but she looks cool. Tsuyu is probably my favorite characterization wise, of the kids at least. All Might is the best overall though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, she's pretty cool looking and I want to see what she can do, what little characterization she as had so far makes her look like a really fun character.

She seems really jazzed and happy about everything and that's cool and rad. I also like Creation girl a lot though really.

Urarakais probably at the bottom end of characters I like, but I still like her, this manga just has a lot of really good and interesting characters. The only one I flat out don't like is probably Bakugou and even he is kinda interesting I guess.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

RatHat posted:

I think his flashback will probably focus on the burn on his face.

We have seen it a little, he melted the ice he made during the first test All Might held, after getting the 'nuke', to free the other kids from it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So far the characters that seem to get the most screentime in the class are like, Tsuyu, Frostburn, Ashido, Creation Girl, Grapeboy, and Hardening kid? Besides the obvious Uraraka/Ilda/Bakugou/Deku.

That's a pretty big 'main' cast though. Ashido probably doesn't count, just for some reason she always seems to be present in like all the group panels and stuff.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I personally can't wait to see Punk Hazard's dad, since he raised a kid like that.

The way I see it, his dad is either a well known genius hero of some sort, or an utter failure that he feels the need to show he's better than. Possibly even a villain of some sort. His attitude is very similar to two different archetypes, the kid who needs to live up to a huge legacy, or the redeemer of his family who has to 'prove' himself.

Or it could be something completely different, who knows.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Obviously that isn't fluff on he tail. It is that thick with pure 100% muscle, and is Hella strong. That is its power.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hallgerd posted:

It's fine, winning the next round can just be worth 100 million points.

It's basically like every stupid gameshow in existence, where it doesn't matter if you won all 10 rounds before the final one, the final round is suddenly worth more than all ten previous rounds combined, to keep it 'interesting'

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

tsob posted:

Yea, I'm not honestly sure how you could take anything else away from it the way it's framed even without considering the fact he's never used his fire powers that we've seen.

We saw him spouting a bit of fire at the end of the nuke test thing that they did, after he froze everyone to the floor and won. He melted the ice to let them go.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Say Nothing posted:

I guess Kid Thermostat is okay with using fire in a non-combat way?

Basically. He's not afraid of using fire at all, and it's not like he can't control it, he explicitly says he refuses to use it in combat though. After combat he's fine to use it to clean up his frozen mess.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Apocron posted:

What was the villain with the hands' power?

Anything he touches disintegrates.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dr_Amazing posted:

So Endeavor must be Icy Hot's dad right?

...This has been explicitly stated, I'm fairly certain. Like, multiple times.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cake Attack posted:

it's another oh-so-clever nickname for todoroki

People who are still trying to make jokes on that are really just starting to be stupid. It was reaching three weeks ago, it's not gonna suddenly be funny again now.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hopeford posted:

I wasn't even reading this thread a few weeks, so...uh, okay, sorry didn't know this was a thing for the thread. Just call characters whatever if I don't remember their names.

Sorry. People started pointing out that everyone was calling him variations on Icy Hot/Hot and Cold/Frostburn or whatever on page like, 15, and ever since then literally every time he comes up in conversation, people make up more and more reaching references to how he can use fire AND ice!!!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Prison Warden posted:

It'd probably take a generation or two to accumulate All Might's insane godlike power and Quirks seem to have been around for a couple of generations, assuming it's from the dawn of quriks existing, All Might's gotta be at least second or third generation.

I talked about it earlier, but we know that Midoriya's mom is a 4th generation quirk holder, and that Quirks were initially rare when they first showed up (though by the 4th generation not having one is rarer). So yes, One For All has probably existed for 3-4 generations at least. Possibly 5-6 even.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

HellCopter posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice because Deku and Mineta are also really short but next to the other girls she looks like she has Dwarfism.

Frogs are very small creatures please don't judge.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bad Seafood posted:

Physically, yeah, he's pretty far behind, but that's a problem poised to solve itself. I'm talking about his mentality, his way of thinking, which he's had plenty of time to develop.

No it's not? He's been more than a quirkless who was bullied for 12ish years for like, 4 months dude. He's still a nervous wreck, but he's obviously getting better about it even in that time.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Neeksy posted:

I liked that the teacher talked about the deficiencies of the entrance examination, in that powers that would be very good in heroics are often disadvantaged by the way it's structured. It makes class B's resentment much more understandable and gives Midoriya's sympathies in this chapter more punch.

Class B isn't non-heroic, they're Class B of the heroic Education Course.

The other classes, C through... J I believe? Are part of the other non heroics courses, be it Support (jetpack girl, make stuff for heroes to use like costumes and weapons), management (they apparently do superhero PR and stuff), or General Ed (Mind Control guy, seems to mostly be made up of people who failed the heroic exam, and didn't want to be in Support or Management)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure B is general studies.

You're pretty wrong then? I mean I don't feel like digging up the images that say you are, but you can go to the beginning of the tournament. They introduce Class A, then class B, then general studies.

Edit: nevermind, it took ten seconds

A and B are Department of Heroics, C, D, and E are General, F, G, H Support, and Management is probably the next three?

Edit2: it's even stated in the first chapter where they're in school that there's two classes of the Heroics department.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think if Urakawa touched Bakugou, he loses. His power is explosives, he hits himself with enough force to simulate flying constantly. If he loses gravitys effect, he'd fly off in every direction whenever he used it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm half expecting him to push Todoroki until he has to use his fire powers, and then it's revealed that since Todoroki has refused to use it often, he isn't prepared to use it in a real fight. Maybe he's afraid of burning himself, or Deku, or the crowd, but it just doesn't go as planned.

I dunno though. :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, it's explicitly stated that you can't use your powers unless you have special permits for it. Super Heroes have permits at all times of course. I'm sure other important jobs (a firefighter who can create water, a police guy who can be a lie detector) can get permits as well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bakugou and Mineta are my two least favorite characters in MHA.

Bakugou buillied and beat up Midoriya for 10+ years when he had no way to fight back. He threatened to murder him multiple times and continues to do so. When he saw that Midoriya who was formerly defenseless no longer was, he used an attack explicitly meant to murder him. This has never been called out as bad, the only thing about him that has ever been called out is his pride. This was basically the equivalent of a guy who is a master martial artist beating up the scrawny sickly cripple kid. For years.

Mineta is a creepy pervert who is gross and I hope he gets beat up for it.

Edit: Really when you read the first thing I said, it becomes obvious why so many people early on expected Bakugou to become a villain. He is not a good person. He is explicitly a bully who used his strength to pick on the weakest person around him. He tried to kill someone. He is Not Good. And it still hasn't been called out, all that has is 'oh you're too prideful'

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 16, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tollymain posted:

bakugou is kind of a lovely kid but kids are basically horrid little monsters irl and bakugou's behavior sans powers would not be noteworthy

Yes, yes it would in fact be noteworthy in real life, because it's still bullying, to the point where Bakugou was using explosions (so, punching, kicking, probably all kinds of violent things!) on someone.

In real life Bakugou would hopefully be caught by the system for bullying someone to the point of them being terrified to even look at them, and expelled/punished/sent to juvie.

It's just made worse because he had literal deadly superpowers when doing it, and was open to threaten using them at a deadly level.

Edit: In this situation, superpowers is a metaphor for guns. Bakugou threatened to shoot Deku to death if he ever stood up to him. This is the real life connotation.

Or maybe other weapons? Bakugou was open to using baseball bats to beat in Deku with his gang of friends, and threatened to bash his skull in if he stood up to him.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Except that I'm not talking about Bakugou as we've seen him since the entrance exam. I am discussing Bakugou as we know he has been since the flashback to when they were like 5. Which is to say, bullying, beating up, turning Deku into a nervous wreck afraid of everything. Yes, nowadays Bakugou is realizing he's not the big fish anymore, he can't get together his possee and beat up anyone who looks at him funny. But that does not excuse years of mental anguish and torture that bullying causes, that he did intentionally and with malicious intent to the one kid who had absolutely no way of fighting back.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

And? Your point? What do you think should happen then, especially since Bakugou was raised to believe he was the best and never reprimanded for his behaviours?

That he's a bad character, and people shouldn't be acting like he's some amazing great guy? Same with Mineta who is explicitly a perverted sexual harrasser who keeps groping girls against their will.

I mean like him for being basically a villain, but he's a Bad loving Person.

Edit: And I think the hero school should realize he nearly killed a kid multiple times over the years and threatened to do it more, and kick him out! He is certainly lovely enough to deserve his dreams being crushed like that. I don't think it's ever going to happen, but yeah.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Stallion Cabana posted:

Because sending kids to jail for their actions has always resulted in them becoming much better people and never ever habitual repeat offenders.

Because letting a kid who nearly killed someone multiple times walk free out of fear that they'd get angry and become repeat offenders when they already repeatedly did it is better, yes. We should just stop punishing kids for doing bad things, clearly that will make them be better. Who cares if they stabbed someone multiple times over the course of years!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

chumbler posted:

Bakugou is not a good person, but he is a compelling character for a variety of reasons. These two things are not mutually exclusive. Thank you.

And yet people keep claiming he should win because he deserves to stand over Deku and has made the most growth, when so far he hasn't done anything in terms of growth except learn that other people could kick his rear end if he tried to treat them like he did Deku.

Bakugou can grow into a good character who is compelling and far from where he started. So far he has done jack poo poo of that, as much as you guys like to act like he has.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I really like the explanation for all this, honestly. He keeps thinking of his power as a 'power' not as something about him. Where everyone else spent 12-16 years with their quirks getting used to it and learning it the same as they learned to walk, he has to learn that from the beginning. It's a way better explanation for why he'd be having so much trouble than most manga would give

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ilda isn't going to die, he is going to take the exact wrong lesson to heart here. He is going to decide the hero system isn't what he wants to work in, that sometimes people deserve being punished and even hurt. He is going to embrace his hate, and soon he shall become... Quite Evil.

He hates the hero killer, he won't listen to him.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Roland Jones posted:

On a tangent from that, I just remembered something I talked about before: Shigaraki's power, while scary, is so small-scale compared to the average "main villain". Like, killing twenty or thirty people before being taken out by someone in a mall, that'd be awful, but a "normal" villain (by the standards of fiction in general, not this series in particular) would be a completely unstoppable threat to the world until the hero manages to unlock the power of friendship or whatever to match them. Shigaraki's not scary because he's a walking WMD or something, he's scary because of what he represents, as the leader of the Villain Alliance and the budding Symbol of Evil to rival All Might's Symbol of Peace. And, of course, because he's a complete head case and looks menacing as hell whether he's in "costume" or not, and he has shown that he will go for the kids if he can. He's not some nebulous darkness on the horizon, he's a threat in both a general way and a very personal, direct one to our protagonists.

Hell, he can kill maybe 20 or 30 people... How often is it that people with just guns in malls can kill that many people? He is barely more dangerous in terms of how many people he can kill than a man with an automatic weapon and no regard for human life. Which I think is a good thing, we don't need to start off with someone who can nuke cities from orbit with eyebeams like Darkseid

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Who else have they played, for those of us not nerdy enough to know every VA by name.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I knew those first two, but I am completely lost on the rest. I'll have to look up the guy when I get access to a computer.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Waffleman_ posted:

If you know Attack on Titan, Hosoya was Reiner.

Oh, okay, that's a pretty okay choice then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Genocyber posted:

They are now authorized to use the varia suit- I mean their quirks.

I mean, this is a real thing - Other M and this both run off the exact same cultural sterotyping. In Japan, even if you are authorized to have a firearm as a policeman, you have to be explicitly told that it is authorized to make use of said firearm. This applies even in life or death situations where there is literally no choice besides to use the firearm. If you do not have this permission, you are expected to find some other way, or die. And making use of it in a situation where you will die otherwise will still get you very harsh punishments.

So yeah. There is a very real cultural belief that using unauthorized weapons to save yourself, be they a varia suit or quirks you were born with is still a crime. A major one even.