Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Jesus' inability to magic himself a machine gun and conquer the world with god powers is pretty much the reason why a lot of people don't take him seriously. You are literally the son of god and you go and let yourself get killed, lol what a chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Watch this one neat trick God doesn't want you to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyToT8jiJ4

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Here, let me tell you what's happening in this thread.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also, people don't go to church on sunday for a discussion, they go there for a harangue. The church structure is not made for serious discussion, but just as a sort of ho-hum thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

down with slavery posted:

I mean, you can dismiss it, and I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is saying religion is stupid because "god isn't real" or "faith is a bad belief system" or any number of the other bad arguments that have been trotted out to counter the obvious troll thread. I'm not religious, but I have enough perspective to take a step back and actually view Religion as a societal institution as opposed to magic (what it appears most posters think Christianity is)

No, I jumped into an argument where a guy was literally making this argument:

After posting back and forth with him for a few times, it was confirmed to me that he was a kneejerk internet atheist who had no interest in learning anything, just spouting off retarded bullshit that looks like it came out of a youtube comment.

Yeah but the people who go to church actually believe the poo poo they say.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If Omar Little was coming to rob your poo poo, would you rather have Jesus or a glock? I rest my case.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BrandorKP posted:

That's actually why I give a poo poo that FFRF is using it as an ad line actually. I think that's where it's coming from.

What's funny is, other gods as you say actually offer something real. Money is power, reason gives you knowledge about the real world, fame is recognition, but God offers nothing. You can pray all you like but you will receive nothing. Might as well worship the gods that offer tangible rewards, the ones closer to D&D than the bible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've never heard a good explanation why Jesus is better than money as an object of worship.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh cool Joel Osteen joined the thread.

Well, it's not like Jesus is going to do more for you than money in any real respect.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The church does more good with money than any capitalist I know.

Like bribe African politicians to enact death penalties for gays.

Anyway, the important part is the money. You can always do more with more money than with less. The same is not true of Jesus.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

Let me guess: your first impulse when your offspring calls you a bitch, is to be really forgiving and loving of it, and to give it the privilege of eternal life in your Heavenly Kingdom. Right? Am I right here?

Why would I create something just to have it suffer? What does that say about me?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The fact that people can get degrees in theology is like the idea that people can get degrees in anime. It's really hilarious.

No one has actually argued against how much more efficient it is to worship the accumulation of wealth than to worship some jackass staring in an ant farm.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

It's always the same thing... "God is immoral!"

This really is the essence of the objection. I think people care about this more than any "lack of proof" issue with God.

I mean, people say that God is immoral even when he kills a poor innocent fig tree. Almost anything he does is immoral, by their reckoning. Let alone things like allowing evil to exist.

You should all read that book of Job you keep scoffing about. You don't get to judge God. He does what he wants to you and that's it. And you have to have faith that He is doing it for some ultimately good purpose.

Once you accept this undeniable reality of the world, things make a lot more sense, including how to adapt to this reality. You can learn to be relatively comfortable in this human condition instead of constantly complaining about how unfair it is. You don't have to live in constant torment. Just accept the truth.

There's nothing undeniable though about it, it's just speculation. You pretty much have to buy into it already, the whole idea that God is good. Would it be easy to read the Bible without preconceived notions and see God as the good guy?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

We are talking about the Creator of the Universe here. The being who gave you life and everything you have in it. Who knows your heart and your fate. A person who you are supposed to supplicate yourself before and worship and give offerings to, to pray to and do penance for. He is your master and your Lord. You are his slave. Dictators are merely ash compared to him.

Ah, the Cosmic Dictator, Hyper Hitler, the Infinite Authoritarian!

I think i'll just not give him the satisfaction, in that case.

Miltank posted:

Kyrie is correct that we should just accept that God is goodness. He is incorrect in claiming that we ought to accept God as he is presented in the OT scriptures as that goodness. God's character as man can understand it was revealed by his time as a human on earth.

So should we judge God's character by the time Jesus walked by the Romans with slaves and did absolutely nothing about it?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
What could a bible do that a stack of 20s couldn't?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hell sounds like a great place to be, especially when you start with a pistol and 50 bullets.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
What i'm wondering is why hell is considered a bad thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

Meanwhile the Catholic Church is actively fighting to convert Africans and to protect them against Muslim terrorist groups like Boko Haram.

Why is conversion a good thing, anyway. You all talk about hell as something to be avoided, but it sounds pretty kickass to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3QDmOMnNc

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Karl Marx has a far more compelling message than Jesus because he actually offers something that might be real.

Jesus offers nothing except vague promises after you die.

Also, during the Spanish Civil War, the catholic clergy were fascist agents, and in all honesty they should have been eliminated entirely from Republican territory for this. Clergy in general are reactionary forces and there's nothing wrong with getting rid of them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
What's with the obsession with eternal life? Why would someone want to be eternal? That sounds like torture after long enough time. I know I'd like to end, and that life is more meaningful when it ends.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

I love Vatican II, it's an infallible council and those who reject it are crazy conspiracy theorists. I do subscribe to an awesome sedevacantist Youtube channel though and recently they posted an informative video about Sandy Hook crisis actors.

Anyway Vatican II did not change any doctrines. All we did was add some theological wiggle room so the hellbound would stop whining

BTW you still haven't explained why hell is a bad thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hey OP, what would you think about removing the catholic church's tax exemptions and requiring them to adhere to appropriate financial regulations and reporting requirements?

Agreed but for all churches. In fact, they should be taxed more stringently.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

I can't think of any other church which issues passports to pedophiles as a matter of official policy.

Other churches aren't a sovreign tax shelter with their own, standing armed forces. The Holy See is. Ask yourself, what would Napoleon do, versus what would Hitler do?

Clearly, the answer is to side with Napoleon and not act like Hitler towards the Catholic church.

In fact, I would go so far as to say you're not really an American if you have loyalty to the Holy See any more than if you had loyalty to Israel. It's treasonous thought, and has to be stamped out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

Well, it's described by the Bible as "eternal fire." But I suppose it's a good thing you're getting a head start on trying to view it as something positive! You're going to have lots of time to adapt and maybe after the first trillion years or so the constant agonizing flame charring your flesh and cooking your meat will start to seem like a sort of nuanced pleasure. "It was worth the sins," you'll say.

I don't know. Maybe it's cold there in hell and the fire is a comfort. Also, that appears to be eternal life, so you really don't need Jesus for eternal life. Besides, if my flesh is charred, i'll go into shock and be done with it soon enough anyway. Hell could be a place where you get a pistol and fifty bullets and then you end up going to town, which sounds really fun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VitalSigns posted:

Hell is where the false Christians who delight in the torment of others go so I'm willing to believe it's loving miserable without any eternal fire required.

Yeah you got a point there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Jesus talked all about hate but he wasn't hateful enough to go to Rome and fistfight Augustus and wreck his poo poo. What a chump.

The story of Jesus would be way more interesting that way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Napoleon Bonaparte was much more intelligent than pretty much any of the saints.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CowOnCrack posted:

Just thought I'd start another discussion chain about Christianity, and why not about my favorite topic? har har

Men and women are complimentary equals. And marriage is really important. Without, everyone is leading everyone else on ad infinitum, and everyone is unhappy as a result.

FYI, I was in love with someone but let it go recently, and in that experience I meditated on the importance of marriage a lot. This experience brought me closer to God and believing in the importance of God's plan for marriage. I even wrote an essay about love and marriage in my grief!

Also, women leading men on can bring a lot of grief to both people, and they do it because they can play the harassment card so easily. I believe our view of romance in society has become somewhat one-sided against men, when women harassing men is a huge issue and the law literally puts the burden of proof on men every time.

You sound like a broken, emotionally immature human being. Relationships are ephemeral. Expecting two people to stay together forever is ridiculous because no part of human psychology really supports that.

I hope you're trolling, because you sound really pathetic.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

Lol, wow, a couple days? You must have really been in love with her! :rolleyes:

Only people who have ever actually been in love with someone and dumped by them need talk about the very obvious and universal pain of it, especially when they've been "leading you on" (Yes! that is the correct phrase to describe it!) into thinking they are interested in the same sort of thing. Leading you on in ways such as, having sex with you, saying they love you, talking about future plans, etc. only to dump you. That can cause trust issues! And that's why, kids, it's morally imperative that you only pursue relationships with people you potentially want to marry!

Again: It happens to women too.

Truly this is someone to listen to about human relationships. How the hell are you supposed to know you want to marry someone before pursuing a relationship?

I think you've been watching too much anime or something because not being able to get over a breakup is the opposite of healthy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
That essay is the finest example of a person who can't care about someone without wanting to stick their dick in them.

Very telling about god's target audience.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CowOnCrack posted:

Hey, I didn't know aromanticism was a thing. Can't blame a guy for trying with the woman of his dreams.

Here are tips for all you aromantic women out there:

1) I recommend against discussing your relationship with others, or if you do, be very mindful about what might appear to outside listeners as a problem. Things that you believe are 'cute' or easily forgivable may appear to others as warning signs. People in mature relationships do not discuss such issues with anyone but their partner, or perhaps wise council in private. Perhaps its best to not discuss it all and keep your relationship on a need to know basis.

2) I recommend being very responsible for your own needs and not leaning on the help of male friends for anything. I personally do not help anyone with any expectation of anything in return, but when help is expected from me that goes beyond what seems reasonable, even my feelings may become confused.

3) I recommend against talking about your relationship on Facebook or anything pertaining to a relationship status change. I know I'm going against the grain here, but I feel it is very unwise because you do not know how it will affect those reading. When you opted to include your boyfriend in the category of "family", this was incredibly confusing to me. My impression up to that point was that yes he was your boyfriend, but maybe there were problems. I invite you to imagine what someone might feel like if they discovered they had fallen in love with a married woman while under that impression. This is the kind of thing that might invite suicidal thinking in some people (for my part, I didn't feel that bad, but I felt very foolish, hurt, and confused.)

4) Continue to be mindful of the company you keep. By choosing to attend this music school and surrounding yourself with caring and loving people, you have insulated yourself from the kind of people who would take advantage of you. Doing what you are doing will protect you from sleaze balls and scumbags. Even still, there are plenty of men in this world in nearly every location who would not necessarily respect the integrity of your relationship. Even my brother told me I should just ask you out. Also, as long as you are not married, there are some respectful individuals who would even fall in love with you on that kind of basis if they perceived dissatisfaction. But at least if that happens, respectful individuals will seek to not make a problem for you (my case).

5) If this ever does happen to you in the future, if I were you I would be very forward about that key difference - your asexuality. Do not be afraid, embarrassed, or ashamed to discuss it. Also, do not expect the problem to resolve itself so quickly. If someone tells you how they feel, even if they are very respectful and sincere, 10-20 seconds of diplomacy is just the beginning of working through such an issue. Romantic feelings, you must understand, are extremely powerful forces for everyone on a regular basis, except certain people like yourself. They would expect at least one conversation, if not several, to go through how things happened and why they feel the way they do. What you have to understand also though is that in this sort of situation, it is very, very difficult for the person interested in you to come up and talk with you about it. They may be frightened or anxious. Fortunately, you are very kind, compassionate, and logical, and if you were very forward in addressing their concerns then that is your best chance of avoiding an ordeal.

6) It may be that you want to avoid male friends entirely, because of the potential for these issues to develop. I wouldn't necessarily be that pessimistic myself - I think if you practice mindfulness and are more forward about your differences, you will be OK. But you might consider it.

7) Consider marriage - there is a reason why married couples have a wedding band on their finger. It's a signal to everyone - "I am taken". Only the most awful human beings in the world would stoop as low as to pursue a married woman and these sorts are very rare.

I don't think you've ever actually had a real friend. Complaining about relationships? I talk with my friends a lot about that. The right thing to do is to listen, nod, agree, and give advice if warranted. If one of my guy friends was complaining about his g/f I would not take it as a signal that he's really gay and wants me instead. People are usually a lot more direct than that. In fact, if they're looking for a relationship, they'll probably not mention that they have another at all. You are terrible at handling people, and if this is what the teachings of Christianity are geared for, I'll leave you to it.

There might be situations where you do want to be up front about not looking for sex, but it won't be when you just casually strike up a conversation during some activity of mutual interest. I think you have a very skewed idea of romance. If you want to find people who are looking for your dick, go to a bar, but you'll do terribly there because you sound goony as gently caress.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think grenadiers were the best people to rock the pope hat, though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Blue Star posted:

This is a pretty cool thread and everything, but after all is said and done, I think i'll stick to my own silly personal spiritual beliefs, which basically amount to half-assed Buddhism, Taoism, and sometimes pantheism when i'm feeling all warm and fuzzy and looking at the stars. It basically amounts to me reading stuff about Buddhism and Taoism on the internet, saying to myself "Yeah, that makes sense, I guess", and then not doing absolutely anything about it. Like, yeah, I know all things are empty of inherent existence and everything is ephemeral and we're all connected and blah blah blah, but I don't really do anything other than watch the occassional Alan Watts youtube video and go "Yeah, we're all, like, empty. There's, like, no self." When I die, I'll simply dissolve and my constituent parts will go on to be recycled, as part of the great interconnected web of causality that is Existence. I'll cease to exist, but then again, do I REALLY exist right now? :catdrugs:

Sorry, Kyrie eleison, your thread was for naught. Good luck with your gay life, though.

I'm happy that you've found the right kind of spirituality for yourself. If you're happy, that's the important part.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Obdicut posted:

"No actual" and 'tenuous" are synonymous. And yes, clearly his only interest in quantum physics is the parts of it that appear mystical to a totally naive interpretation.

Also I think if you explained materialism to a cat there would be no change in its behavior from the usual feline indifference to everything that actually matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kyrie eleison posted:

What's your favorite thing about Jesus? I think it's that he's cool and loves everyone and wants us to go to Heaven.

Jesus was a chump that left the romans in charge because he didn't have the balls to make his own empire.

• Locked thread