Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think this thread is good for Debate and Discussion, OP.

But I disagree strongly with any Earthly church being the one true faith. True Christianity is about rejecting the material and embracing selflessness to the mortal extreme. Any church that encourages people to live a full life on Earth is serving Earthly interests, not celestial. I'll let the most recent incarnation of the being you know as Jesus Christ explain further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDa2rwwZHeE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Early Christians willing went to their deaths to demonstrate their faith to the Roman world. Heaven's Gate emerged at the height of the Pax Americana and demonstrated their faith similarly. Planet Earth's recycling has begun.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

Without a literal belief in the Genesis creation story, there is no such thing as original sin, and thus no reason for Jesus. Without original sin Christianity collapses as a coherent belief system.

Of course, we know humanity didn't spring from two individuals, so...

Only if you accept the literature and ideas that have been politicized and put to use by the lower forces. Jesus died to show the way forward - rejection of the material world.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope you all will listen to Do's message. It is very solid theology.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Why do all miracles always happen "ages ago, far away"?

Why are there none now we can record things and view things from round the planet?

Miracles happen all the time - Jesus appears on toast and the Virgin Mary appears in run-off stains on concrete walls.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fade5 posted:

Also Kyrie eleison I thought you were better bro, what happened?

You might be thinking of another poster who went off meds and made a 'you're all gonna burn, heathens' thread a few months back.

Kyrie thinks gamergate is an existential threat to the left and the beginning of the conservative millennium.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Also how do you deal with the really obvious fact that Christianity began as an end-times religion and Jesus was very clearly stating that the end was nigh? You just deny it through a string of really improbable explanations that all the stuff about how quickly things were going to end and how everyone should give up everything, including leaving their families, that was actually meant in a long-term allegorical way even though there isn't anything that Jesus says that would ever give that impression?

Watch the Heaven's Gate video. He was telling people to give up everything because human activities sustain the lower forces that are limited to Earth-like planets.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

Heaven's Gate were a bunch of suicidal people that reinforced a bunch of religious mumbo-jumbo amongst each other to make their collective suicide easier.

Romans would have said the same thing about Christians, who at the time were a splinter group of the suicidal Hebrews.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone pointed out how the classic Catholic imagery of Mary is very clearly Yonic?

MARRY AND REPRODUCE

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

You're a paranoid lunatic and I don't think you should be posting on the internet like this, without the benefit of psychotherapy and antipsychotics.

Effectronica posted:

Most recently, I called upon the minor Duke of Hell Lord Murmur for assistance in exorcising a troublesome ghost for a friend. Outside of the demonological arts, my most recent pursuits of the arcane have been in the realm of electronics, specifically in the application of Apuleius to logic gates.

Let's refocus here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZ9x2AaejI

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Since time immemorial, religion has been a lens through which to institutionalize power and codify best-practices of tradition.

It really is something how the lower forces turned Christ's message about not perptuating the corrupt material world into 'get married, have lots of kids, and do as you're told'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DrProsek posted:

Why would you NOT want to worship Mary? Remember Descartes' meditations; something cannot create something more perfect that it itself is, therefore Mary is at least as perfect as God.

QED: Mary is a god.

God is the supreme, perfect penis and Mary is His corresponding vagina and the resulting conception is a new life for all who believe. Catholicism is all about fertility worship. Have to keep producing new humans to serve the lower forces.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DrProsek posted:

Pfft, look at this Protestant scrub, not realizing that Mary got pregnant just fine without needing any dick. Because she got pregnant through magic, she made Jesus herself and thus is more perfect than Jesus who is God.

God is still the Father - making Him the supreme masculine while Mary is the supreme feminine.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Look at all those SJWs

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I doubt Kyrie is a gimmick. I followed a girl on tumblr who had similar Catholic morals, but her politics were Stalinist instead of Moral Majority / Dork Enlightenment.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Brandor you are so close to recognizing Do's message: all Earthly things are idolatry, especially the material church organizations.

So what happens when these authoritarian Catholic girls get married? Do they submit to their husbands as good Christian wives or is the guy a whipped beta?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do we have any historical evidence for the existence of Roman citizen Bigus Dickus?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know as a Presbyterian we were taught 'maybe Mary had some other kids, what else would you expect?'

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.christiandomesticdiscipline.com/

Your thoughts, Kyrie?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

That and any of the other apocryphal Acts of various apostles all rule. Acts of Peter that stars Saint Peter in the coliseum doing a miracles v magic showdown with a wizard is great stuff

Ancient Rome had Wizards?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only real spurious messiah is my spurious messiah

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

He will come like a thief in the night, unexpected. No one knows the day or hour.

He came back in the 1990's and had a website.

Sorry that you can't accept the message.

Planet Earth about to be recycled.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What about Enthogens? You should try Salvia, Kyrie.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts posted:

It's gonna own when Francis takes a big-assed jewel-encrusted-bong hit next week in St. Peter's and then Kyrie's pathetic head is gonna fly off like a propeller beanie.

The white smoke...:420:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Hmm, yes, a vague oval halo that copies the shape of a standing figure? Totally a genital.

Her robes are part of the labial imagery and her head is the clitoris. Someone posted an even better example of yonic imagery in early Christian art but I don't feel like digging for it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Al Harrington posted:

Genesis 3:19
By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.

Psalm 103:14
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.

Ecclesiastes 3:19-21
19For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity.
20All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust.
21Who knows that the breath of man ascends upward and the breath of the beast descends downward to the earth?…

:siren: Old Testament :siren: (just to preempt people who will make this point)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

Holy poo poo this thread is still going on? What the gently caress is there even left to discuss?

Edit: Whoops wrong thread

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 9, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If the rapid adoption of Christianity in Europe validates it doesn't the same apply for Islam in the Middle East?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It isn't unreasonable to say there's an indefinable something that separates living matter from dead - and biology (especially biological matter with means of imposing will on reality) is a thermodynamically special event, to the best of our knowledge.

But I think continuity of the self is a construct of the ego and a kind of vanity.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

Which is better? A hedonistic yet miserable life that ends in euthanasia and permanent death... or a temperate, virtuous, and joyful life that ends in the hope of the hereafter?

This is a better way to frame the question than asking whether or not things can be proven. They cannot be proven. But which is preferable? And if it is the latter... why would you not choose to believe it?

One problem with this philosophy of life after death is that it makes it easy for humans to collectively procrastinate - so that is a 'green' reason to remove that frame of mind in secular decision making.

Also it is much harder to rationalize acts of murder and suicide without believing there is some supreme justice being meted out.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mdemone posted:

Pure nothingness is incredibly unstable, and tends to produce universes along with a foaming sea of every other kind of thing.

God is a Boltzmann Brain and we are its dream.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God personally wrote the BSG reboot to promote alt-heaven with a coat of Cylon technology.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

It's pretty widely acknowledged that there are rather significant Mormon themes in the new (and old) BSG actually.

Oh I know, the idea of a play-acted rationalist heaven just reminded me of the implications of the new show's finale.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of logos, here are a couple cartoons made in the 80's by an evangelical production company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzSwBsgHHXI

I like how you are supposed to be aghast about Jehovah Jesus doing his armageddon thing when Evangelicals have the exact same fantasy (except they get raptured instead of a hundred thousand witnesses)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSlbuli7HM

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This sounds no different than Conservapedia's 'Best of the Public' idea.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The tower of babel is a nice metaphor for the limits of human language and reason. In the past two centuries humans have made enormous advances in science and medicine - but then you have the curse of Babel showing itself in the form of antivax.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CowOnCrack posted:

It seems you have your own philosophy and point of view about this issue from someone else's life that you hold steadfastly to on faith alone.

End Thread

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I came across a youtube talk by Zizek and he brought up a religious philosophy that the thread might find interesting:

The human soul doesn't directly control the body - God (or the Holy Ghost specifically) is the channel by which the spiritual manipulates the material. The original sin of Adam and Eve was an awareness of their material bodies, and as a reminder men have a specific organ which can act independently of their spirit.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Val Kilmer is going to die soon because he is a Christian Scientist with a tumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How is CowOnCrack still in college with a 2004 regdate?

• Locked thread