Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Just when you thought he was getting all progressive. :smuggo:

He's about on par with a lot of probably atheists over in the Shoot France thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Traditional Catholics are loving awful and I feel confident saying that because I grew up in that movement. I'm currently some hosed up Atheist Catholic with a bunch of other poo poo I've stolen from other spiritual practices and have cobbled together with intellectual duct tape. It's fun.

And yeah the current church view on the Jews, in need terms, is that the Church is OSX and Judaism is NeXT OS

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Steve Jobs is Jesus, Tim Cook is Peter etc

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

That's not a bad idea in theory. It would cool if religions could have amicable rivalries but it's a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE so instead it's all about "Oooh respect and revere respect and revere"

On the other hand LaVeyan Satanism is even stupider as a religion than Scientology. I do think it's funny how Xians get all uptight about them instead of realizing it's the literal gently caress You Dad religion

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Also there is only one thing that matters and it is J.R. "Bob" Dobbs send $35

With religion, like with most things, you get what you pay for.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Series DD Funding posted:

Counterpoint: Scientology.

Scientology is a pure and beautiful expression of American Spirituality. A corporate religion with offices instead of temples and suits instead of robes. It's a capitalist religion for capitalists, and they even have their own Guantanamo.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sinnlos posted:

Papal Infallibility only works when speaking ex cathedra, which has a huge casting cost and applies an unrest malus unless you get the timing right.

This. It's amazing how many people don't realize how rarely papal infallibility is exercises. It's largely a bully pulpit (literally pulpit) position, though it's generally accepted that when the pope says stuff even without infallibility in effect it's worth a listen because he's still basically Christ's press secretary.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

There is only one thin that matters and it is Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be the Whole of the Law

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Any advances by the devil will be rolled back in due course, so enjoy it while it lasts. The swinging pendulum is going to be a bitch.

Laffo Laffo Laffo

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Can you prove this in a way that would convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you? Because "I'm right because I say I'm right!" is a claim that can be made by anyone, about anything, and it proves nothing.

I believe Carry Your Laser's view can be summed up something along the lines of "Jesus said it I believe it that settles it"

Also seriously people trying to get people to rationalize articles of faith have about as much understanding of faith as CoC and Kyrie do about rationality.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Nessus posted:

LaVey Satanism is basically Objectivism with some black mass/psychobilly style on top of it. Satan is mostly there to freak the squares.

It's also a really simplified version of Thelema for people who didn't think Crowley was spooky enough. It's the spinning skull gif of religions.

Theistic Satanists are way cooler.

I'm perSonally open to the idea of an Evil or at least uncaring deity. Or a demiurge type situation. If there is a loving personal God then the only thing to do, if you are convinced that said God is on the up and up and isn't tricking you is just to roll with the fact that His love is weird and impossible to understand and maybe you should keep such a God at arm's length.

Any extant deities you meet, even nice ones are probably far past out comprehension and potentially dangerous so say thanks for not killing you yet and don't try to overthink it.

That's a problem so-called rational types come up against and one reason their arguments are bullshit. It's trying to apply human values to an entity that is aggressively inhuman, or at least was until it possibly incarnated itself then died it's like an ant trying to explain why the human steps on them, or like a dog trying to understand the surgery the vet performs. That way lies madness, and it's probably not even real so don't fret it.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Series DD Funding posted:

Thelema seems pretty cool.

They have a cool tarot deck. Book of the Law and Book of Lies are fun reads. Crowley was a pretty absurd character but he got people to pay him to sodomize them so I guess he did pretty well for himself.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Nessus posted:

OK Stocking
I didn't hear about THAT one, though I know he was gay as hell.

The secret of the 9th degree of the OTO is basically that cream pie+ menstrual blood
= Magick?

The 11th degree is buttsex.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I also enjoyed PSG but it's pretty super lol for a wannabe apologist to be rocking as an avatar

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If God loves us then why did he allow 2nd Impact to happen and why are Angels trying to kill us?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

site posted:

What's wrong with worshipping Satan :(

Absolutely nothing and don't let anybody tell you otherwise, but if you say you're a Satanist you better worship the Devil or else you're just a lame poser.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Hail Thetans

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

The Church of Satan does have one use: every time some dominionist Christian group enlists the government to force their religion on America under the guise of religious freedom, the satanists are there to call their bluff and apply to be part of the same program.

I actually recently learns that the group that actually does that, The Satanic Temple is more of a goof org and not affiliated with La Bey Church of Satan.

Also lol Kyrie thinks the world is literally a Chick tract yet somehow manages to be Catholic.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

You guys don't sacrifice babies to Satan? If not you're doing it wrong.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

To be fair the Jews in the Bible are p. Dumb. God goes away for five minute and everyone is all "Oh man have you seen the new cow? Shits gold. So shine. We should worship it. "

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'm gonna go ahead and say no one on these boards will ever seriously end an argument with MURRRRRICAAAAA! So clearly we are being hosed with

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I also used to have it in for the jews, not over anything like that though. I was frankly jealous. I was having my big atheist phase, and most of the jews i've met are pretty cool smart folks, and I've always had a huge thing for jewish girls, but secular judaism just made me so mad because it's a weird subset of white people who don't actually believe in their religion but act like they do, and I just wanted them to stop bullshitting and become atheists!

Then i realized that it was my own drat fault for being jealous, being Catholic is just as much of a cultural identity, has just as much of a rich philosophy of art literature and philosophy that can work without theology, so I decided to just embrace my Catholic heritage and nwo I've been having a lot more fun with it and now i'm thankful to the jews for showing me you can still enjoy the cultural history and identity of your religion without even needing a deity!

Thanks jewish people!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Even if you take the extreme but not totally irrational views that all the jews in Israel are occupiers who should be expelled, and even then if you add to them the number of non-Israeli Jews who are suckered into supporting or who just support israel because they're rotten people you STILL have a whole hell of a lot of jews who are totally innocent of any wrongdoing, even fuzzy debatable wrongdoing. Like holdy drat son, D&D isnt exactly a bastion of pro-Zionism. In fact, D&D can get borderline anti-Semitic once in a while (The ADL would say raging Hitler esque antisemitism but lol @ them) and you're managing to get people to turn against you.

dude, you're not even in the fuzzy grey "Really really strongly anti-Zionist' area. You're a full bore raging jew hater.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

The OT strongly supports:
  • Exclusive Israelite ownership of Canaan/Palestine
  • The genocide of any non-Israelites on the land
  • A ban on race-mixing, including breaking up mixed-race marriages
  • The forbidding of all foreign religions from the land of Israel
  • The notion that failing to uphold these commandments will result in the destruction of Israel and expulsion from the land
These are not one-off bits, they are a major recurring theme of the book. I think it is fair to say that the book is mostly about the relationship of the Israelites to that land.

Zionism is the religion.

Fly away now

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

PerpetualSelf posted:

Anyone who allows these kind of things to go on is not innocent. This is the problem.

Were white people who were against jim crow laws in the south but allowed them to go on without protesting or willing to put their body on the line innocent?

Were boers who were against apartheid but allowed them to go on without protesting or willing to put their body on the line innocent?

Were germans who were against the holocaust but allowed it to go on without protesting and willing to put their body on the line innocent?

The only way any of that is excusable is if they have come up with some better way to undermine the system to save lives or stop it. Ala Schindler or even Bonhoeffer.

But Didn't Bonhoeffer try to bomb Hitler?

And we think of Bonhoeffer and Schindler as amazing, heroic, exemplary men. But what Jesus came to earth to was to create a entire group of beings who were willing to do these kind of things to ensure and help their neighbors. Bonhoeffer followed God. Nothing more and nothing less. And that's how I see it and approach this issue.

I know someone is going to bring up Arabs and Muslims in lands ravaged by ISIS and ask if they are just as guilty. They may be. But most of them do not know Christ. At least not the real teachings of Christ.

I'll believe you actually believe your own poo poo when you put your own body on the line, sissy

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Cogsdev is that you?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It doesn't matter. You don't actually believe this poo poo, or if you do its in a purely hypothetical and meaningless sense. You're just a crybaby mad at Jews and atheists on the internet. You talk poo poo but you don't really believe it. You're a fake, a liar and a hypocrite and definately living in a state or mortal sin. I hope for your sake if anything bad happens to you you're wearing a scapular. Maybe BVM will feel sorry for you and you'll get out of it with a lengthy purgatory time but I don't know. You're pretty much a huge piece of poo poo.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Michael Jackson posted:

:eyepop:

no wonder jews and muslims hate christians.

They're jealous of the black pudding clearly.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Holy poo poo Kyrie was actually right about something.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I actually never realized that Martin Luther was such a snarky bastard. Thanks Kyrie.

Still doesn't excuse the reformation. Sure the Church was out of control for a while but the invention of Protestants just served to dilute Christianity and make it even stupider and more sectarian in the long run.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, I miss the good old days when Christians were united because the church just loving murdered everyone who used an ever-so-slightly-different Greek word to describe the relationship of Christ's human and divine natures.

Those were the days.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kyrie sure is gonna show that Myrna Minkoff how wrong she is about sex and geometry.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Stop worrying about trying to find the exact modern piece of jargon to use to label it. That can be helpful but you're sort of missing the point because you don't know which box to put it in. Arguing that ancient BSes don't fit into contemporary sorting is fruitless.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Michael Jackson posted:

keep in mind that Kyrie's answers are mostly wrong because he get his information from an organization that teach people lies about God and are more interested in philosophy and tradition than truth. hth.

edit: also, what is the deal with catholics and politics? So much laffs lol.

You may Truth and Reality mixed up in your phrasing there. they are distinctive and occasionally, depending on the individual, midlly contradictory concepts.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

If everyone is prone to homosexuality... then hrm.. hrrrmmmerry...

What are the logical implications of this?

Just gently caress some dudes already.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Michael Jackson posted:

Kyrie, i have advice for you. You could take Zoloft like i do, not for sad brains, but for reducing sex drive and have a more flaccid life.

:unsmith:

Or he could just accept that he's gay and go get some man-pussy and enjoy his life. if it's good enough for a hell of a lot of the clergy it's goog enough for Somethingawful poster Kary Your Laser

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

rudatron posted:

Because you're most likely an gimmick account, created out of the misplaced notion that merely having a contrarian position is 'trolling'.

Which is how we get to you, a supposed Christian, arguing that the position of 'people are good, believe in them' == 'modernist'.

He's right though. Christianity takes a pretty dim view on human goodness. Without the whole sin guilt thing where were all monsters there's no need for Jesus to make such a mess of himself redeeming us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Kyrie and Cows are dumb as hell but the atheists here are so reddity Dorkins level that it almost makes me want to believe in God.

Just not the God of Kyrie and CoC

• Locked thread