Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

davey4283 posted:

This is the Wii U Smash Thread. I can make a real op later on if we need one.

Otherwise lets post and wait around for the end of our social lives! :dance:

I can't wait for Pokemon Omega Ruby to come out on friday, november 21st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pretty sure Itoi, the guy who made the mother games, wrote the trophies

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I have been, dude. I don't know why Wario hasn't made his appearance yet. I've played oodles of classic, event, 100 man smash, and just regular Smash matches against lvl 9 comps.

Wario just doesn't like you. Perhaps you've said mean things to him in the past?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

For those of you hungry for a "goon" tournament, I have created a thread to start one in the Imp Zone: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683689

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

japtor posted:

Was this posted here yet? Some dude "trained" three Yoshi Amiibos different ways and observed the results:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2n4z7w/i_just_finished_a_small_amiibo_test_with_3_yoshis/

this is cool

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wario should be able to eat Gordos, Lumas, Pikmin, and other sentient minions, like Duck Hunt's gunmen

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Can't you play on all the stages if you just play their Omega modes

some people dont like the fact that some omegas you can't go under the stage.

Also, lol, they aren't using regular FD because of the bright light that happens in the background.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

I thought this was going to be the overturned flower pot or the bridge rebuilding itself over the players, which is another cool thing that can happen. But it was even better than expected.

The first time I played garden of hope we basically went through the entire gauntlet of all the poo poo that can happen on that stage. Falling off the platforms on the ends (I got trapped under it even), getting destroyed by the crab, and both of us being trapped in the flower pot with no idea of what the heck was happening.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

...Why is Big Battlefield banned?

Same reason Ridley's not playable. Zing!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Crotch posted:

Big Battlefield's pretty drat fun.

Anyone have advice for playing Ike, Samus, and/or Sheik?

(But preferably Ike.)

I'm by no means good at the game, but I will talk about how at least I play Ike:

against good people, use his jab a lot. It's quick, and if you hit all three you give yourself some good breathing room because the last one has decent launch power. Don't try to approach people with his dash attack, I think his dash attack is actually pretty bad. You want to do short hops and neutral or forward airs to get close to people and do damage, generally. I don't know enough about his throws to tell you which one is best in a given situation, but his sword is long enough that you can pretty easily get a follow up hit in the air after a throw at lowish percents.

As far as his specials go, using them depends on how good your opponent is. If they're really good at shielding then don't bother trying to hit them with your side B, you want to use your side B mostly to either gain or close space, or recover. how you use his counter also depends on how good the other player is. I'm pretty bad about using the counter too much at stupid times so I get owned for it, but it can be a nice way to stop someone from getting a hit on you when you go to land back onstage.

Aether is really good at damaging people while you're recovering because almost everybody forgets that it hits them when they try to edgegaurd. Also there's some super armor going on with it too, I dunno. Just make sure you're close enough to the stage that you don't accidentally SD when you use it. Eruption is a slow and "punishable" move, but I like using it to edgeguard. It can hit a bit above Ike, and of course in front of him, and even slightly behind him, so it limits the hell out of your opponent's recovery options. I've had several occasions where the other guy is just flat out too intimidated and hesitates too long before recovering and just dies. And, of course, if you hit someone who's at a red percent with it then they'll probably die, especially if you charged it. Just never charge it all the way if you know it's not going to hit them because then you just did like 10% to yourself and left yourself wide open.

That is all of my really lovely advice that I have to give. His tilts are good too, but I don't know how to use them effectively.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I'm having just as much trouble beating the event "The Final FINAL Battle" on hard. :(

Here's how I did it: I had an attack beefed up Wario, including a KO healer attack badge, and I just used his bike. Get good at knowing when you should pop wheelies with Wario, and you can do it. It's still hard, you'll still die if they manage to get some solid hits on you, but just keep at it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

davey4283 posted:

Thats the one I really wanted but around here you gotta take what you can get.

The x and y buttons on that look exactly the same as the old school type.

I ordered this sometime last week so I'm hoping I will get it today.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I tried to get a chain of 200 in Trophy Rush with DK, but the fucker is just so slow and clumsy that I couldn't do it. It's like teaching a retarded kid to tap-dance or something. :(

Have you heard about Donkey Kong's down special attack, which has been used to cheese multiman melee events for over a decade now? It works with trophy rush as well.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Oh yeah his Down-B is great..... until you get a pile of boxes going over the line at the far end of the stage, where his Down-B doesn't reach from the middle of the stage, so you have to stop doing it every 2 or 3 seconds to punch backed-up box piles to keep the stage from disappearing on you.

Plus he's so big and slow that it's easy for the lightning balls and explosive boxes to hit him, he's prone to falling off the edge of the stage when he throws punches while running forward, and when he does fall off the edge, it's a safe bet he's gonna die since his Up-B has no vertical lift whatsoever.

It's really easy to roll out of the way from lightning in time, and if you stand in the right spot it does cover the whole stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-FNd2n3Icc&t=38s

:shrug: I got like 400+ chain on my first try.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

So people keep saying to use equipment to make things much easier. Which stats in particular are the best for besting the really hard stuff? I'm guessing power, followed by defense?

basically just power, and any other side effects that are useful. I have a wario that heals when he KOs people and it makes Crazy Orders pretty easy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

At what difficulty does Master Fortress show up? I haven't gone past 7.0 yet

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i did Kirby's Crazy Appetite on hard

:stare:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

God drat, I am such utter garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qqKm08LG5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dEAprMsoE

Is there anything I'm doing that's outrageously incorrect here? I'm Peach.

the fact that you are not in the air at least 70% of the time as peach is probably the biggest problem for starters

Rolling is really good against bad players like myself but it should not be your main movement option.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Whenever I'm in the air as Peach it seems like I'm just easy pickings for whoever's on the ground, though.

You gotta knock em up in the air and follow up with one of your aerials. All of peach's airs are really good. Just, in general, when you knock someone away, you should try to get closer so you can follow them up. You never get any momentum by just sitting there. Especially when they get knocked off the stage, you definitely want to try to get in their face and slam them even further back.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Help, I need a way to make money fast to sustain my trophy addiction.

use your hammer on the "get 8 fevers in a round of trophy rush as dr mario" and it gives you 100k coins. i don't know what square it is, as i have not unlocked it yet, but I know it exists.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

With G&W, you can chain a down-throw into Judgment. :getin:

Sadly, this is not a Confirmed Combo, but it does work a decent amount of time. More often than not I end up eating 12% from a 1, but I still always do it anyway.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Well I got all of the CDs, but Melee Fountain of Dreams isn't in the game.

Doesn't matter if we have Star Wolf Assault, Legendary Air Ride Machine, and Jergingha, that is some serious bullshit and I'm gonna be knocking on Sakurai's door for this.

How many are there?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Are the following two songs back: The athletic theme from Yoshi's Island, and Ike's Theme from Radiant Dawn?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You know what song should have been remixed? Jimmy's Aerobics for the Wii Fit stage.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

.TakaM posted:

My use of Charizard focuses on 3 attacks.
Rock Smash, Flare Blitz, Flame Thrower.

Rock Smash is great because very few attacks in the game will interrupt it, you can stand right where King Dedede lands from a down-B and have a rock smash waiting for him. You can perform turn around rock smashes by immediately switching to left/right after pressing down B, this comes in handy because it can help ensure a safe landing.
Flare Blitz is the easiest way to kill, for yourself too, so make sure you're aware of when and where you can use it and still get back to stage. Pretty much never use it from a stand still, I usually use it before landing after jumping away from my opponent. It's also how you should get back to stage when you get launched to the top corners, it looks like you're helplessly tumbling after but you can surprise them with a rock smash or even another flare blitz
Flame Thrower is the easiest way to edge guard, just stand over the edge and spew fire downwards- this only works if you get there before they grab the edge or if they're really dumb and don't roll on stage. Be liberal with it, jump at your opponent with the flamethrower, jump away from your opponent and use flamethrower- I say use it all the time because most players can't handle the pressure, just be ready for them to try and jump over.

His jab combo and down tilt come out pretty quick for when you're in those face to face punch ups, I think I use his neutral-air the most out of his aerials, plus his forward tilt has good reach it's and quick too.

Charizard is cool

Charizard has the coolest down air spike in the game, next to Captain Falcon and Ganondorf

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raserys posted:

How are you supposed to grind CDs in this game?

use amiibos to farm masterballs and mews

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I think Luigi is the worst character in both games, but it's close. Luigi is worthless and you can't even play on your opponent's ignorance because it's not like he's a complicated character.

I watched a guy win with luigi on a tournament on twitch, therefore he's actually really good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

If you're watching the same tournament that I am, a guy played as Luigi and clowned some terrible DK.

On a related note, Mew2King is still an autistic manchild.

it was a tournament like last week.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Captain Falcon is easily the best character to watch in this game. The golden outfit is so beautiful. Maybe I should pick him up...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Ganondorf is better in a competitive sense than Bowser.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

General consensus is, in no particular order, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Sheik, Greninja, Lucario/Sonic.

Is Greninja really that good? He doesn't strike me as a top character

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Earlier today I died as Ike because the windbox of sheik's up b pushed me off the edge while i was holding Ike's eruption (i do this because i like trying to edgeguard with it even though its bad) and I fell like a moron.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Siselmo posted:

Hey guys! I'm the casualest of casuals at Smash and a really bad player but I've taking to heart a lot of general tips I've found here. Does anyone here know how to get better with Mr. Game & Watch? He seems to be the one that clicks with me the most (along with Duck Hunt), so I would love to know how to take better advantage of his abilities.

Down throw -> side b.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Phone posted:

Oh poo poo, Olimar kicking rear end on VGBootCamp.

He lost the second round but it was pretty impressive beating that Luigi player, considering he won the tournament last week

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The duck hunt suicide thing was the funniest thing I've seen in smash in a long time

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know how counterpick bans work but can't Little Macs and Ganondorfs, in tournament setting, just say no Duck Hunt for the counterpick?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

seiferguy posted:

What's the trick to staying alive in crazy orders? I seem to get to round 5 before I'm up to 120% or so and say gently caress it and go for crazy hand.

Get a KO healer badge, and do horde battles.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does my Amiibo need to be in a match with either a human player or another amiibo to farm CDs? I put him in a match with a CPU and I know he picked up at least one CD but I don't know if I actually got it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Deviant posted:

Don't you have to go rescan them in the amiibo menu to get the stuff they pick up?

I don't know how the gift stuff works, I'm not sure if the stuff you choose from this menu is the same stuff they pick up. I have been checking that, but I see no CDs, just some custom equipment, coins, and moves (i always take the moves)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Where is that video someone posted of ganondorf doing the Target Blast challenges? I don't like target blast.

• Locked thread