Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Calico Heart posted:

Is there any word on whether this game has a music slider for selecting tracks for specific stages like brawl did? Honestly, that was such a smart, cool little feature

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

Who else is taking off work and playing all day Friday???? Add me: NNID = jski185

I don't have to, Friday's my day off. :smug: Then again, I've got other things to do on Friday too so...

NNID is the same as my username.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

It'll be him, Roy and Pichu.

We already have Roy though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So is this available for timezones other than Eastern right now? Don't have access to my Wii U at the moment.

Yes

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

:stare: Ummm... apparently I just fought Wario in the bedroom from Poltergeist and one of the TV People finished him off for me.

...... I... I don't even know what the hell, but it helped me unlock Wario, so thanks TV People! :)

I take it you've never played Game & Wario? :v: The gimmick of the Gamer mode is to play microgames under the covers while making sure 9-Volt's mom doesn't catch wind of him. One thing she can do is pop out of the TV and it's absolutely terrifying. :allears:

Captain Walker posted:

I'm told there's at least one CD/music track from Wonderful 101 in this game, is it an unlockable? Which stage is it tied to, if any?

E:

There's still room in this world for Metroid Rising.

I know there's one for Good Egg Galaxy. There's another one but I don't know where it goes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FutureBoy posted:

Little Mac, down special. Over and over again until it works. You only need to get one, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Or Ike. I used Ike.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

People think Little Mac is a character you can just rush in and beat others down with, but playing him requires a lot more patience than they think.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

After playing more with the pro controller I decided I officially hate that clicky joysticks became a thing. I can't think of a single Wii U game that even uses them. It causes the stick to make occasional creaky noises when I'm smashing hard so I worry about breaking it.

Wonderful 101 uses them to let you cancel the Wonder Liner without pulling all of your Wonderful Ones together. I think Hyrule Warriors uses them too for items, but I'm not sure. I do agree that they kinda suck though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Chakram posted:

After unlocking Pac-Land, I can safely conclude that Smash Tour is for drunks and idiots and drunk idiots.

I concur. I mean it's probably better with friends but just rushing it to get Pac-Land sucks rear end.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I have been, dude. I don't know why Wario hasn't made his appearance yet. I've played oodles of classic, event, 100 man smash, and just regular Smash matches against lvl 9 comps.

Play more regular smashes then?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Safety Scissors posted:

Hey guys, I have a Wii U, but I only have the touchscreen and a wii mote + nunchuk, If I were to get this game I'd need more controllers for my friends. What would be my best option?

If you can find a gamecube controller adapter, get that and buy a few gamecube controllers. They should go for $30 a pop with the adapter at $20, so you'll need to drop $110 for three controllers this way. If this isn't an option, you'll need to get pro controllers at $50 a pop. Alternatively, you can connect to 3DS systems so long as they're running Smash, so you can always make your friends bring their own controllers/3DSes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I did it on 3DS with Little Mac just running back and forth. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

...After taking a break, I started playing again and scanned the amiibo only to find that she's level 1 again.

This isn't intended behavior, is it?

When you quit out of Smash mode, you're supposed to scan in your Amiibo to save its progress. Don't just turn the system off or quit to the menu without backing out of the character select screen proper.

DoctaFun posted:

Serious question, and I mean no disrespect, but are there people out there above the age of 13 that actually play skylanders?

Don't get me wrong, my son is 8 and he has a million of those drat things, but he's not so good at video games so he asks me to help him sometimes and when I played those games I thought they were the epitome of 'not fun'. Of course, now he has so many skylanders that it doesn't matter how bad he is at games, he still rolls through the game with no challenge.

I could just be jealous that I didn't come up with the idea for skylanders though, talk about a license to print money. I watch him play skylanders and it just makes me sad that he could be playing a really well designed and well thought out mario game instead :(. I think he beat the last skylanders on Christmas Day last year, and I'm not sure if he's really touched it since then...

I have a good friend who's 21 and he plays Skylanders.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Even if you don't like the Amiibo functionality, they're still official Nintendo figurines you can just decorate a shelf or desk with. I honestly don't give a poo poo about Amiibo functionality (except for Mario Kart 8 with the Captain Falcon Amiibo :swoon:), but I really like the idea of having a bunch of Nintendo figurines on my desk. Also the current set of Amiibo are literally physical Smash Bros trophies and I've always wanted a few real ones and now I can have them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If it helps make you less mad at them, think of them as toys with a bonus feature attached, not features you have to buy a toy to use. Your game is perfectly functional without the Amiibos.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sockser posted:

Can you use the right stick as a c-stick?!

Dios mio

Yes. I kinda like it more than a GameCube C-Stick because it's closer to my palm and I don't have to move my thumb as far, but that's just me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

The shield and throw buttons on the Pro Controller being "switched" from where they were on the GC controller was driving me nuts, so I switched them in the controls and turned off that damnable "Up on left stick to jump" thing and now everything's cool.

I cannot even estimate how long the batteries last on the Pro controller, my god.

Anyone not playing with a gamecube controller should do this. Oh my god it feels so much nicer than the default.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kalos would probably get banned for the two sword walls being constant walls of pain.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

some people dont like the fact that some omegas you can't go under the stage.

Also, lol, they aren't using regular FD because of the bright light that happens in the background.

It's really hard to see when it shows the super lens flare. It also kinda hurts my eyes when it does that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

m.hache posted:

Question about that sucker, does it go in via USB? or does it need the Gamecube adapter?

They couldn't give me a straight answer at EB Games.

Neither. It goes into your Wiimote.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Crossposting from the Wii U thread: For the joystick on the gamepad/pro controller, the "boundary" of how far it moves is the actual stick hitting the rim outside the controller, right, not any internal mechanism? I smash with vigor and I'm paranoid about damaging the thing.

Yes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Glimm posted:

Can you buy those things? I haven't messed with customizations much in the WiiU version, but I've bet a fuckton of gold in spectator mode because I'm a weirdo.

No

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I did this.

I think you need some sleep, Beef Waifu.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Checker Knights is also gone, to my dismay.

And even though the prog rock version of Dark Pit's theme is available for 3DS Smash Run, it's nowhere to be found on Wii U.

Prog rock? Wait do you mean the version labeled just "Dark Pit"?

Edit: yup, that's prog rock alright. Now I'm super disappointed that it's not in the Wii U version and the only way to hear it in Smash is for Smash Run. :(

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 28, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

Maybe because they were localizing that stage when Boston happened?

That was 1.5-2 years ago, but yeah, I wouldn't doubt that it's still too soon here to casually call someone a bomber.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Anidav posted:

Lets talk about Ness and Robin, both of these fuckers are now fast enough to go Fire attack > Grab and there's not much you can do about it because they'll grab you during the dodge animation because Sakurai made them both faster than the speed of sound.

Ness maybe, but Robin is actually really slow, no?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Robin's ground speed in general is rear end. I will agree though that Arcfire -> F-air is really good. It's one of my favorite combos.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Also is the AI better than it was on the 3DS? Through the entire fight to unlock him, Dr Mario was clowning on me remorselessly.

According to one of the wikis, the AI for unlockable characters gets better as you unlock more characters.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

null posted:

Does connecting a 3DS with Smash unlock anything in Smash on the Wii U?

No.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a place I can read up on Amiibos? I really want to play the game to its fullest and I don't know what the hell using Amiibos is for.

You can tap it to your gamepad in Smash mode and have a little AI buddy fight you and it'll learn how to fight based on how you play, then you can take your Amiibo to a friend's house and pit your Amiibo against theirs like they're Pokemon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh man I didn't know Nosferatu put you into helplessness if you land it in air.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

You should try playing Bowser too. Ganondorf is better overall but there's nothing more satisfying than ramming Bowser's fist down people's throats.

Fists? I think you mean his feet. :colbert:

Seriously Bowser feels so good to play.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I played against a guy in For Glory once. Our first match, ignoring the fact that he completely stomped me, went pretty smoothly. No complaints. Second match there's a minor lag spike and he immediately and purposely SDs twice and leaves the match as fast as possible.

The big baby attitude that I can only imagine he had (literally-- we didn't voice chat so I'm just assuming) kinda soured me on For Glory and I mostly just play with friends.

Some people just don't like playing with lag and would rather get out early before the game turns into Super Slideshow Bros for Wii U. :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is awful.

Do you hate fun and/or the voice of Master Hand having fun?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I was about to say if it's japanese it must have been a VA Injoke

This is also why Snake and Otacon have a Falcon Punch/Kick off. Otacon's Japanese voice is the voice of Captain Falcon in the F-Zero anime.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Well, the Japanese versions, anyways. And to drive it all home, they weren't even on speaking terms when this stuff was recorded. Though, after MGS4, they seem to have reconciled somewhat. So that's nice.

It was the graveyard scene in MGS4 that brought them back together. Say what you will about it, someone at KojiPro engineered a legitimate father-son reunion out of that scene.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Charge characters are characters like Guile in Street Fighter where you have to hold the directional input to and then input another command to do special (I think it's like hold back on the stick, then quickly press forward and Punch to do Sonic Boom, as Guile). I don't know charge characters well but I think the idea is hold your ground and defend until you can take advantage of an opening.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Eiba posted:

So... who likes tier lists? I think they can be pretty fun.

This is apparently the current Japanese ranking, based on tournament results.

The discussion I've seen on this is hilarious, as people keep saying "that seems wrong" about poo poo, when it's not a judgement at all, just a ranking of actual performance. It's obviously going to be pretty wonky with the relatively small sample size, but random forum-goers with gut tier lists getting all huffy, criticizing this actually objective (if not especially meaningful) one, is amusing.

Still, it's interesting how far Marth and Lucina have fallen.

The last version of this list might have been the basis for the nerfs/buffs in the last patch, so this might actually be relevant at some point.

I don't feel like Robin should be that low, but if that means he/she' might get a buff I'm all for it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

The Nintendo World store, which I can get to from my house in 20 minutes, will be getting GCN adapters in sometime next week.

According to twitter, Marth and Villager amiibos as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

But then why make so many GC controllers?

• Locked thread