Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I bought it and I have friends who literally refuse to play until we get the adapter.

Sounds like you should have bought the adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah all modern games develop a lot faster just because information spreads so much more freely and people know what to look for, it's not an exclusive Smash 4 thing. Though I do agree that Smash 4, again like other modern games, is much more deliberate in its design and probably coded more tightly than older games like Melee, so finding unintended or obscure mechanics is less likely.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

messagemode1 posted:

Melee's always been successful and people have always been doing cool and weird things to push the game. The melee tier list has had a lot of shakeups over the last 10 years.

This is cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I use a Mayflash one for P:M on my computer and it works great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alteisen posted:

What is the best way to get gud at this game?

Outside of getting my rear end kicked by better players anyway, using Zero Suit Samus right now cause I like her speed.

Watch videos of better players, roll less, get your rear end kicked by same skill players who are better at a specific thing.

Joking aside on the last one, the most important thing to getting better is playing people who aren't notably below your level while also focusing on actually improving. Like sure you'll eventually get better if you just play 6 hours a day for a year, but you can speed that up a fair bit by noticing what you're doing wrong (or what other people are doing right) and changing. The best way to do this is to watch your replays, but you can also just say "ok, this round, I'm going to work on rolling less" and then consciously try to spot dodge or block instead of rolling.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

My gripe with smash is that Fast characters have way too much damage and Heavy ones don't deal enough to counteract their strengths/weaknesses.

I think fast characters deal appropriate damage, but heavy ones need to deal significantly more. Additionally "heavy" doesn't need to mean "everything is slow," just that their general movement is slower and they're big targets/easier to combo - Heavy characters need several fast options as well, such as Zangief's SPD in street fighter. Bowser's melee grounded up-B or DK's old nair are good examples of this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

This owns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of tournaments my friend did a funny thing this last week at one

http://gfycat.com/LeafyDistinctInganue

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manic Mailman posted:

I believe the winner is the one who initiated the suicide attack (King Dedede).
correct.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Pac-people don't have the same cultural pressures as humans when it comes to weight and frankly it reeks of colonialism that you're so willing to ascribe your own standards to them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Donkey Kong isn't a dad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

Why did the smash community never ban Metaknight or [now] Diddy? it's boring as gently caress.

Banning a character 5 months into a game's lifespan is hilariously stupid

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

When will it not be hilariously stupid? in another 5 years after the game's community is mostly Diddy and nobody wants to ban him because it's their main?

Hahaha

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Characters being able to play defensively is a good thing. I like Melee but one reason I don't really play it anymore is because there's no viable defensive character (or really even a viable heavyweight character) and that's how I generally like playing. But the threat of playing defensive is that you get blown the gently caress up when you mess up your defense and get rushed down properly, and that isn't really there in Smash 4 for much of the cast. Diddy, Luigi, and Sheik have pretty decent punish games but most characters just sorta anemically hit you for 7-10% and send you too far away to actually combo or put you in a disadvantageous position like a knockdown, but not far enough away to put you at risk of dying. The rewards for breaking through someone's defenses need to be universally improved, and then defensive play will become that much more interesting to both play and spectate. It's not just projectiles, stuff like Rosalina's insanely safe, huge hitboxes are just a more midrange defensive style, but because of how Luma functions (can break grabs and just hit you if you already hit Rosalina) you just have to play defensive yourself much of the time, especially if you didn't pick one of the aforementioned characters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually think Brawl is the best looking smash game style-wise if you're playing on an EDTV

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kelp Plankton posted:

I wish Snake was in Smash 4 but he just looked like he did in Brawl

Also, DK should look like he did in 64.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Megaman v Sonic in top 8 @ final round http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ain't so mega now are you mr man

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Turtlicious posted:

How are you guys playing Project M, and are you playing it on your PC?

I play it on PC and on my friend's Wii when we hang out, though I haven't really played much since winter break.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cool, also that Ky Kiske marth skin owns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Coaaab posted:

didn't that guy do that to make a point about how customs should be banned yet every time he lost with that strategy, he just switched to Diddy?

And yes, 1111 Diddy will win evo, no matter how much you tell me how awesome custom Palutena, Ike, DK or whoever are.

Eh Sheik is Hella Good and has some great customs. I don't think some random bad character is gonna take it because of a handful of gimmick specials but some of the already good characters have options.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I think I'll stick to unlocking them all by myself because I'm a big boy now, thank you. :smug:

(I kid, but really. Why deprive yourself of that aspect of the game? Think of it as an opportunity to gain experience with other characters or something.)

It's insanely boring and playing against the CPU doesn't really teach you very much

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
3.6 looks like good poo poo, hopefully the gameplay/balance tweaks are good.

sharrrk posted:

wonder how far that's off, and also when they'll officially announce lyn and knuckles

I just saw the Lyn and Knuckles vid for the first time today, both look super fun. Knuckles' throws are brutal and Lyn having bow moves is cool.

Also P:M top 8 on TourneyLocator http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The other two are Issac from Golden Sun and Sami from Advance Wars, but nothing other than that is known, including any possible date for any of them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

Why did they choose Sami over all the other AW characters?

She's insanely popular for some reason (because shes a girl)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm curious who is going to voice Issac and Sami for them

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
One of my Smash training buddies was a huge golden sun guy and I sitll haven't been able to figure out why. Either way he's mad hype and I'm getting Knuckles so I accept this new Issac reality

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Macaluso posted:

Ivysaur is better than Squirtle and Charizard put together :colbert:

Ivysaur is super cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sharrrk posted:

lyn, as well. i'm guessing they'll be reusing dan green's voice clips for knuckles

You can hear Lyn's voice samples here, though I dunno who it is. She sounds pretty good I think, I imagine grunts and stuff are actually pretty hard for VAs that aren't DBZ actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxbgK__kUR4

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sharrrk posted:

i'm glad they decided to reskin the dracula's castle stage. that one always felt really out of place, even if it gave me an excuse to put castlevania music in the game

Yeah, and I really like the aesthetics of the new one when dracula was really half-baked

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
nickelodeon sent the PMBR a C&D and now they can't add Spongebob or Courage the Cowardly Dog

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Roy was added because he was a popular fan character who had a preexisting moveset to work from and they were just starting to mess with adding characters to the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Funky Valentine posted:

Only in the context of Smash bros is Roy ever associated with the word "popular"

Ok? Fortunately we're talking about Smash Bros.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Only in the context of Smash bros is Marth, Ivysaur, Shulk, Dr. Mario, Ness, Lucas, and Megaman (:letroleface:) considered popular

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheKingofSprings posted:

So unpopular they made a point of bringing him back in Smash 4

Every game needs a heel

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aston posted:

I said it as a joke but now I want to test out this theory, and I can't figure out how.

Realtalk, there's a bunch of facebook groups you could ask if you really cared. Michigan has a P:M page, and I assume a general Smash one as well, not to mention most colleges and some metro areas will have something. The MI P:M one alone has 550 members, so it wouldn't be hard to get a decent sample size. Just set up a survey page that says "rank your top 5 favorite smash characters" or maybe pick one character from each game, and then leave an optional space at the bottom asking why they picked who they did. You could formalize that too if you wanted with a couple different options ("These characters have powerful moves," "these characters have the best taunts," "these characters are from my favorite other Nintendo games," etc) since it's a lot easier to compare results like that, though the answers would be less interesting probably

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aston posted:

It's kind of a weird question as well since like you say there are plenty of reasons for someone being your favourite. I think asking a facebook group might skew the results more towards the competitive end of the spectrum, where it seems to me (and I know this is a broad generalisation) that they'd interpret is as who is their favourite to play, which (and again this is a generalisation) will tend towards the stronger characters. Like for example if you asked chudat who his favourite melee character is, would he say Ice Climbers or Kirby?

Would he follow his head or his heart?

And which do I want to measure?

I think it'd only skew that way if you talked to P:M or comp-specific groups. I'm sorta extrapolating from other nerd poo poo, but in some card game FB groups I'm on there's tons of discussion of like ~*~the lore~*~ or card art or other things that don't directly relate to mechanics (or the things that are mechanical, but still "casual" like deck lists that are clearly unviable competitively). Nerdy people gravitate to nerdy places, and there's a lot of people in groups who might not post threads but like reading what other people have to say about stuff they enjoy, and would happily respond to an anonymous survey.

And drawing the line between love of something's mechanics and it as an abstract character seems pretty arbitrary anyway. Super Mario World is probably my favorite single player game ever, but that's almost entirely because moving around and jumping feels really loving good, the sprites are the perfect size for me relative to the amount of screen you see (compared to a lot of modern platformers where poo poo is super tiny ala Meatboy or old some games where the sprites are huge), you get to run fast, and it breaks in really funny ways. The game's atmosphere and colors are nice but honestly I can think of games with better aesthetics for me (like Yoshi's Island) that I don't like quite as much.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mabels big day posted:

Hey man that's really cool, but I'm gonna have to stop you right there, because Yoshi's Island was the greatest game of all time.

That's not true, Super Mario World is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheKingofSprings posted:

If there's one thing Nintendo can afford to do after they cancel their flagship title for the year it's a lovely April Fools joke

What got cancelled

• Locked thread