Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

He didn't exactly defend Hitler, he just said it was the Palestinians' fault that Hitler was bad.

It reminds me of the anti-semitic views that the Jews were responsible for jesus's death: it serves the dual purposes of blaming a hated target and letting the Romans, who you identify with ethnically, off the hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Eh, it's not as bad as "it isn't a crime". It's just a much less severe crime that carries a much lighter punishment (simple assault carries a 6 month maximum sentence in the UK and usually gets 6-12 months in the US) and which Israeli authorities might decide isn't worth the effort of prosecuting! Mostly what it means is that while people may be prosecuted for hitting him, nobody is going to be prosecuted for the fact that the man died, and the death will play no part in how police and prosecutors handle the attackers. That more or less means they're all going to get treated the same way they would if he hadn't died of his injuries.

I don't think simple assault is the traditional charge for shooting someone, though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lum_ posted:

I'm all for pointing out when Israelis do stupid things as part of a long-running occupation turning their society racist, but this really crosses the line into "guys, Jews are just not human, y'know" kinda rhetoric.

Many Israelis ARE in fact good people and are responsible for reporting most of the outrages we're outraged about because they also want their society changed.

Certainly not anything approaching a majority, though, or none of these things would be happening.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
To be fair, I think americans are pretty awful too, and we're probably going to bring down the entire world's financial system in a few weeks because we're such trash, but on the other hand we aren't voting for a dude who tried to justify genocide by pretending his target did the holocaust so it's kind of a wash.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

shrike82 posted:

I dunno man, Hong XiuQuan's gimmick of quoting individual Jews' bad-think and asking why Israel doesn't disavow them comes off as the antisemitic equivalent of why don't muslims disavow terrorism. Isn't he muslim?

He's quoting individual rabbis' illegal incitement and asking why they are not arrested, considering that muslim teenagers have been arrested and held without charge for less. It's a leeeeeeetle bit different.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

Do I really need to point out the unfortunate irony of posts declaring (correctly) that Netanyahu is a racist kook who despises the idea of peaceful coexistence and who seeks to delegitimize the other side because he tried to call the Palestinians Nazis interleaved with posts calling Israelis Nazis?

What elements of a genocidal regime do you feel are missing? You have violence, racism, authoritarian control of a specific ethnic group, and a recent attempt by the nation's leader to build a casus belli against an entire race of people. It's not ironic that that attempt is seen as both terrible and evidence of a nation on the ragged edge of mass murder.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Let's look at the card:

We're one fraudulent election away from bingo. (or maybe it already happened :tinfoil:)

Well sure, but even the US fits that. It's not a question of merely being fascist, there's no godwin's law for mussolini. It's a question of whether Israel is particularly likely to embark on a campaign of mass murder in the immediate future, and Netanyahu's comments make it seem especially likely.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
5 year over/under on large-scale industrialized mass murder of the palestinian people, place your bets now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Are we still going to be blaming the palestinians for their own oppression when they're all dead?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's literally making their lives demonstrably worse (compare 1992-2000 to onwards), and further entrenching settlements as permanent, so yeah it's a bad idea.

Just like the warsaw ghetto uprising was a bad idea because it led to the liquidations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Living conditions in Gaza have been getting worse, in a large part due to Israel's deliberate targeting of its infrastructure and refusal to allow access to the building materials that could repair them. Gaza could be uninhabitable in 5 years - what do you think will happen to Gazans then? Are we to believe (without any basis at all) that Israel is planning to stop doing this at some point in the next 5 years?

This is what I don't get- there's clearly a process in place that will result in the death or displacement of all Palestinians in greater Israel. We're not ramping up to that- it's here, it's happening now, and if the status quo remains in place, there will be no Palestinians in israel 25 years from now. Is genocide not a matter of process, but rather of progress? We have to wait until it's been more successful before we can call this what it is?

At this point, it's like global warming. We could stop it now, but I'm just kind of assuming we won't.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

How are they going to force them all out in 25 years, but through extreme and not deniable state violence? Look I could see it, but the blowback would be catastrophic for them.

Yes can you imagine if Israel committed large-scale violence against the Gaza strip?

You can claim resources and blockade supplies until you force Gazans to choose between committing violence and drowning Syrian refugee style in the Mediterranean. Then when you're attacked, use that to justify collective violence, sparking another round of rafts and attacks.

There is no "plan" of any sort, but the "hope" is clearly that if you make life tough enough for Palestinians, they'll leave you the land. I don't think the end will work out all that well for Israel at ALL, but I do think that they can absolutely justify the level of violence they need to kill or displace enough Palestinians to settle all of greater Israel without there being any sort of international response. And when all the land is yours, displacing the remaining Palestinians without violence is very easy.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_settler_violence

Hmmmm....

And hilariously, 90% of attacks never lead to an indictment against the attacks, and Palestinians are specifically forbidden from responding to an attack.

So, you were saying? Even with increasing claims of the IDF cracking down on such attacks, very little is actually done and for the most part the Israeli's side with the settlers more often than not.

None of those links describe daily family murder, so I'm not sure why you linked it.

I did LOL at "the majority of settlers don't engage in violence". Apparently stealing arable farmland and clean drinking water from a population with very little of both isn't violence.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

They said all Palestinians being forced out of Israel.

Do you think that the west bank is immune to the same strategies that have worked in Gaza? If so, why? Or are you claiming that the arab "citizens" in east jerusalem and central Israel are immune to displacement somehow, despite the fact that collective punishment aimed at displacing any arabs who knew an arab criminal is in place, right at this moment, seemingly for the express purpose of finding excuses to displace Israel's arab population?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

A pogrom of the Scale you're suggesting would require a very large campaign of bloodletting by Israel, and would pprobably lead to Israel becoming a bigger pariah then North Korea.

If the IDF showed up to trail of tears folks to jordan or whatever, sure. But what we're talking about is just quietly making things unlivable until desperate people do desperate things. They'll either self-deport by any means necessary (to die or become someone else's problem) or commit violence and provided casus belli for the same sorts of violence we've seen so far.

Will that work out well for the IDF? Probably not, no military state is as invincible as they think they are, so I'm skeptical that that the resulting violence wouldn't lead to deeply unlivable conditions for the israelis themselves.

What I do know is that the international community has been happy to watch Palestine's sources of food and water dry up. The idea that there's some magical threshold of widespread malnutrition and poisonous water where they'll jump in at this point is very silly. I also don't don't think that the international community will do anything to stop large-scale murder of palestinians provided that there's always a casus belli. If you want proof, just look at the responses to me in the last page: "Oh well sure killing a thousand civilians was fine, but surely if they upped that to 5 thousand, we'd do something! Well, maybe 10 thousand?" Like I said, this is a process that's already in progress. We've already justified the murder of a thousand people here, the only thing stopping it from going further is a fear of dead IDF soldiers but choke palestine for long enough and someone will kill an israeli civilian and then it's game on once again.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like I guess I feel like I"m being unclear here: what I'm describing here is not the "plan" of the Israelis. There is no plan. They're not going to do anything to cross the line internationally because they're not waiting for some moment to execute order 66 or whatever. What I'm describing is just what happens with Israel's current set of interlocking terrible policies, though. It has successfully normalized whatever the gently caress you want to call this thing, and no change in intensity or kind is required to remove Palestinians from greater Israel. The idea that the international community will watch Israel grab up all the arable farmland and potable water in Greater Israel, watch them level Palestinian cities, and then flip the gently caress out about what happens next, what has to happen next, is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So this thread went back to "I don't need to show a genocide exists, I'm allowed to use whichever words I want cause this is how I liberate palestine".

Reminds of Shamir's "For Eretz Israel Lying is Permissible", I think in Islam this is called Taqiyya.

And that you liars dare accuse Absurd and me for 'defending G E N O C I D E' (god how much of an shrill idiot do you have to be to repeat that schtick) well you are in fact just relegating yourselves to the level of propagandists, But it's cool, cause your lies are that which will liberate palestine, so way to go, o brave martyr.

Edit: literally went from "a wide consensus exists" to "How dare you question the words I chose to use! They have the correct emotional impact!"

I've been very careful to avoid using any word that might compare the situation in Israel to any other situation past, present, and future, or to use words like "cleansing" and "genocide".

• Locked thread