Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I feel like electricity shouldn't require lubrication, drat it :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wow. It's Groverhouseboat.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hey thread, if I wanted to tow a boat of 25 or fewer feet, what magnitude of truck/SUV/pullerthing must I contemplate? Is there is a sweet spot in price/performance in that category? I'm looking to buy a vehicle after some years of carlessness and I have no idea what's good, and "pulling a boat" is one of my requirements.

We'll worry about the boat a little later :heh:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
....Is.... is there not a smaller option than a full-sized pickup? :ohdear:

This might be a nonstarter, because I would go insane if I had to use an F-150 as a daily driver car. Perhaps what I want to do is buy the trailer and rent a truck when I need to move the boat, but I don't know if you can rent trucks for towing now that I think about it.

I live in the Puget Sound. We have a common sort of utility powerboat used for recreational fishing and getting around in the San Juans that usually has a fiberglass or aluminum hull and a small enclosed cabin to keep the weather off. Larger versions might have a berth, but most just have a primitive head in the bow. There's a few widely known local manufacturers of such boats, none of whom I can think of off the top of my head right now, but that's the sort of thing I mean.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
...Yeaaaah maybe I'll buy the Cherokee off my dad after all. It's got a 5.7 liter V8 diesel.

Thanks for the tips, this gives me a place to start.

* Thankfully it's not that Cherokee.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Elmnt80 posted:

Wait, chrysler has never made a 5.7L diesel as far as I'm aware and I think I've sold parts for every motor ever put in a jeep. (Yes, including the rare af diesel ones.)

Even if its the hemi 5.7, it'll be more than enough to scoot along with a boat on the rear end end.

Yeah, IIRC it's a Hemi. I know NOTHING about car engines. Do they call them hemis because they've had a hemispherectomy, or....?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This is gold. Thank you.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Crossposting from the OSHA thread:

https://i.imgur.com/0tk4Qol.mp4

Anyone know the story here?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
No photo no boato

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Strike the h, make it a hard g. It's a dingy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

boxen posted:

Hrngg.
I moved from the midwest to the west coast, took some sailing lessons, and now I own about a dozen books on sailing yacht design with at least two different hull design programs on my PC. I want to DESIGN a boat and live on it. That's REALLY never going to happen.

Never say never! What if your nose happens to be the same shape as a revolutionary new keel design that could win the America's Cup?!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is an exceptionally obscure reference. Could you please pass the salt?

Thank you! I'd love to, but I'm afraid I never did get the hang of Thursdays.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wibla posted:

You headed further south, or further north? I live in Vestfold and I'm happy to help :sun:

What regulator is it? Measure the voltage on the PV input terminals on it to see if you have a wiring fault between the panels and the regulator.

I can vouch that this goon is not a serial killer.

A space tyrant, yes, but not a serial killer.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ok, so I discovered this micro skiff builder near me. He's an experienced builder that worked for Hell's Bay and bought the design rights and molds for this boat. It looks loving amazing and my xB could tow it no problem. Reasonable price too, about ten grand for the hull with an aluminum trailer. Thinking about going to his shop which is on the water and testing one out. It's called the Nano made by Nanocraft.

https://nanocraftboats.com/nano13/

Look at this loving boat. Yeah it's tiny so what.

If you get one, you should call it the R/V Vespa

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wastin' away again in magaritathread
Lookin for my lost poster o' salt

Some may claim there's a forum to blame
But I know
It's my own drat fault

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
72? gently caress that poo poo, I bring a drysuit shell for 75+ lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If you have a dive ladder on your boat is there value in having an alert, conscious MOB use it or is it best practice to hook and winch?

I'm also wondering about the risks of having someone stand on the ladder partially immersed to assist the MOB or help lift them onto the deck. Guess it depends on conditions.

I'm used to recovering divers in 3-5' swells and the occasional big boat wake, but I haven't had to do it in stormy conditions, and divers have masks and regulators, so they're less likely to get a lungful of water during a surge.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
As long as Jimmy's getting paid, I guess. When a pirate looks at 80 he's gotta think about his retirement

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hadlock posted:

This sounds like the next "the villages" swingers retiree homestead

I had just assumed his musical career began and ended with "Margaritaville" and a handful of others, simply because nobody in my friend/age group had ever heard of the guy

Mildly curious if his net worth is enough to buy every parcel of land in key west

you're thinking of Miami ("made enough money to buy Miami / But I pissed it away so fast") and probably not since he has to compete with the mob

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
nice, the tiller makes it look like you've got an AA gun for mosquitos

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The closest I've come is a loving harbor seal rolled me in my kayak once

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I love the handle on the bottom of the drone for easy recovery, that's clever

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hadlock posted:

That's not a leak you're sinking

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wesleywillis posted:

It's considerably shorter.

Edmund Fitzgerald (Radio Edit)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hadlock posted:

It's also a marina in *checks notes* north of Seattle so *checks Google* it's barely north of 50°F this time of year.

I'm so mad that Toronto has my weather. it was 90 degrees in Seattle today

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Nice work, excellent catte, saucy winch. 10/10

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wesleywillis posted:

I asked about spot lights on my new boat last year for nighttime navigation and people were pretty much like don't bother.

If you search some of my posts in this thread it'll be in there probably last March or so.

I did a power boat course too. I had a guy come down to the dock and show me poo poo. I think it was more useful than sitting in a class. If that's available to you I'd recommend that

imo it depends where you use your boat. it's pretty important to have a light to look out for subsurface floating logs at night around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm only splashing in the toilet :smith: