Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

e- ^^ I don't know how the weather is in Ferguson today, but it's windy as poo poo in Ohio today. If they had our winds, it'd be apocalyptic.

I know somebody was grading news sources based on bias in the previous thread. Is CNN the most level-headed of the major US-based news networks when it comes to anything news? I've heard MSNBC has a liberal slant and :lol: FOX News. Plus, I want to pick which network to watch when the poo poo hits the fan once the grand jury announcement happens.

The reason I ask HERE is, as piles of other goons also owned up to in the last thread, this is one of the only places I come for my current events commentary and, in terms of SA, I'm not touching GBS or D&D with a 50 foot pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've been waiting for this to be the next hotspot for a while now:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/crime-law/family-of-man-shot-at-walmart-wants-answers-survei/ngzT4/

TL;DR: Dipshit at a Walmart across the Interstate from Wright-Patterson AFB (Fairfield Commons area for those familiar) picks up an air rifle in the store, walks around the store with it, somebody sees it and 911 is called, police tell him to drop it, he doesn't, :rip:. There's supposed surveillance video showing he was talking on a cell phone with his back to the police when they popped him.

Anonymous (yeah, them) protested the "lack of justice" last weekend, but didn't spare any thought for the 37 year old who was minding her own business when this started and died of a heart attack while running away from the store.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 25, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CNN believes there will be no indictment based on the fact that there's no indication Darren Wilson is being considered a wanted individual, nor has he been asked to turn himself in.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I feel sorry for whoever thought it was a good idea to hang that Season's Greetings banner, because that's going to be the first victim.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aaaaaaaaaaaand it's on.

e- Or is it? I just saw about 20 people booking it down the street on CNN.

gfanikf posted:

I didn't know Robert Loggia is a MO Prosecutor.

He really does sound like him. :laffo:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Small arms fire exchanged. At least one police car on fire and tear gas/bean bags have been used.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Maarek posted:

It's just weird how thatis forum country full of totally unqualified people discuss events.

This is pretty much America.txt, really.

It was painful watching people post comments on Captain Sully's Facebook page, for example, when he talked about the "safety benefits" of upping commercial airline pilot flight time minimums to a hard floor of 1500 hours because of a 2009 crash in Buffalo. "AW, THANKS SULLY, THOSE DUMBASS ROOKIE PILOTS THAT BACK PLANES INTO THE GROUND FOR SOMETHIN' TO DO* SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO FLY EVER!!!" and "YOU SURE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT, I DON'T LIKE FLYING SO THIS IS A GOOD THING" made my blood boil from people who clearly had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about, while the few that DID have some knowledge and disagreed were looked at like they were some sort of monster.

*- The last human-error related commercial airline crash with at least one pilot with less than 1,500 hours flight time at the controls was in 1989. The only one involving an airliner since was in 2004, and that happened on a ferry flight where the two pilots dicked around trying to reach the service ceiling of the plane and compressor stalled both engines. The crash in Buffalo involved pilots who had 3300 and 2500 hours respectively. :eng101:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 27, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Some regional pilots start at $18,000/year. I think there are a couple airlines which start at even less.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Wasn't he also testifying in front of congress about how lovely pilots are paid and treated for their first few years (esp. as regional pilots) and demanding better regulations and oversight?

I mean, that seemed a reasonable thing to be asking for. I won't pretend to have knowledge about the 1500 hours thing, but pretty sure the two pilots in that Buffalo crash were talking about how much they were getting dicked over by their company a few minutes before the crash and he seemed pretty sympathetic to that.

The new regs passed to help prevent pilots from being run ragged (Part 117), which was one of the things he was there for, were worthwhile. That's a separate law and I have no argument there.

Some argue that saying having 1,500 hours, the time required for the Airline Transport Pilot rating (you used to be able to fly on the Commercial license to start), automatically makes you a good pilot is bullshit. Chuck Schumer pushed the law through to avenge those who were killed (in his state) on the premise of safety even though the pilots he was trying to prevent from "causing accidents" weren't involved. The government later offered hiring credits of 250-500 hours for attending certain schools and doing flight training with them, which was the government's way of telling the schools with big flight programs and lobbyists able to say "gently caress that poo poo" to go "Here, take this and go shut up about this being crap."

e- The pay has been awful in recent years and most regional pilot groups in recent years have tried to take a stand by voting down concessionary contracts. Unfortunately, they've paid with having their flying cut. Envoy (American Eagle, wholly owned by American) is being parted out as a result.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 27, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Actually, they do have to deal with people. I've had friends tell me how people look to them as tour guides knowing where everything is in the airport because they're in a uniform, as opposed to looking at the signs airports spend lots of money on which tell you where most of what you need can be found.

Some pilots like cargo flying more because "Boxes Don't Bitch".

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

how many hours are they flying for such a pissant amount of money?

75 hours/month. They're only paid once the cabin door to the airplane is closed in all the cases I know of, so everything else (layovers during flights, commuting) doesn't count.

Mike-o posted:

I'm kind of glad I didn't go through with trying to become a pilot. I can't use my GI Bill because I can't get a passing flight medical because of PTSD, loving dicks. But anyway it sucks dog poo poo trying to become a pilot, let alone your first real job in a lovely regional. You get your license, then you work your way up through instrument rating, commercial, CFI (certified flight instructor), etc. Then you're barely making ends meet by teaching people how to fly just like you were only a little bit ago. Then hope you're loving lucky to get enough hours under your belt to even quality for an ATP and get a lovely job at a regional. Pilots literally get payed peanuts until they're at a major carrier and at least a senior Captain. I love planes and I really wanted to fly, but gently caress all that noise I'll just play flight sims and sit on my rear end raking in VA welfare money.

I'm Instrument-rated and was building time toward Commercial when reality hit me. When I told my former instructor, I was surprised when she said "I don't blame you". Another alum was doing corporate flying for a company in town and was worked to the point that they owned him and he was always on-call. He finally had to ask his boss for health insurance.

I mentioned the time credits- I have a Master's from one of the bigger of the approved schools but, because I didn't do Instrument AND Commercial with them under Part 141, I couldn't get hired until I got to 1,500, which meant I'd be instructing for a few years or looking for a banner towing (was told by a pilot to not even think of doing that), aerial photography, pipeline survey, or other flying job making pitiful wages just to get to the regionals to make pitiful wages.

I'm now pursuing aviation-related jobs on the ground which pay better and plan to squirrel away money to get my flying fix every now and then in a 172. Given the BS regional pilots have to deal with, I'm fine with the new plan.

One of the things that pissed me off about "The 1500 Hour Rule" is the fact pilots who have completed their ratings and are getting started in the industry can't get their feet in the door to build seniority to get from the poo poo pay to slightly better pay faster. If the government wanted to flex their muscles and look like they were doing something, they could've made it 1,000 hours, with a 250 hour credit for an Associate's and 500 off for a Bachelor's from approved schools.

Regionals are having trouble filling their indoc/training classes today. I wonder why.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 27, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That looks infinitely better than the prequels. All three. Combined.

maffew buildings posted:

How much strange did you tag and how drunk were you on average during flights

Aviation is a sausage fest, though there was one good looking girl I only saw at the school once whose number I was unable to acquire. And stone cold sober.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CNN says two men, one of whom claiming to be affiliated with the Black Panthers, were planning on killing the Ferguson prosecutor and police chief and blowing up the St. Louis Arch.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/cr...A6p0RLrCNOC6VM-

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

Did the SJWs, in their busy body rage over Michael Brown, forget about that 12 year old kid in Cleavland who done got shotted to death already?

As I mentioned a few pages back, Anonymous has taken the lead in protesting over the guy who was blasted outside Dayton (minutes from WPAFB) for picking up an air rifle and walking through Walmart with it, prompting panic from people who didn't know what was going on.

Never mind the woman who was minding her own business, saw what was going on, tried to get away from the store, and died of a heart attack.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BBC America knows what's up. Patriot Games was on last night.

Two Finger posted:

Scene would go better with "America, gently caress YEAH" over the top, much like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPGyt3ZDv2Y

Adjust volume on either video as necessary.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...Name=snoopsagan

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Today's the anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

In the opinions of GIP, if 9/11 is Kill Browns Day, is today Here Is Why The Bomb Was Worth It Day?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm loving speechless that I live in a universe where Mitch McConnell is capable of steering advanced parliamentary maneuvers.

Didn't he get the last "restart the government bill" through with a conveniently placed rider granting Kentucky $3B for new dams?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

psydude posted:

Dude's been spending a lot of time near the window. Here's hoping the Aussies make his head explode on international television.

This might have just happened. :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Those flashes in the windows of the cafe CNN's showing were something out of an action movie. :tviv:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CNN via Seven Network is saying that he was a spiritual healer.

Does "taking hostages and then getting blasted right to Paradise" count as spiritual healing?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Are we talking about the sniper guy who sniped body parts off from 2 miles away or did something even more badass happen.

The sixty-something Sergeant-at-Arms who unloaded a clip on a Haji, then calmly walked back to his office to get another clip fully prepared to do it again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kevin Vickers also called his mom to let her know he wasn't dead. Style AND class points awarded.

Generation Internet posted:

Canada easily beats Australia for third place English speaking country.

Third place pays well in this race. It's like the Rolex 24 at Daytona. You still get a trophy and a Rolex watch.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

William does all the PR work while the world fawns over he and the wifey like pathetic fanboys/girls. Harry smokes browns with attack helicopters.

Harry > William and Kate combined.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Civilian question time: Is Rip-It the same thing as Ripped Fuel which Person relied on for energy in Generation Kill, only to run out toward the end of the push to Baghdad?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You act like Marco Rubio is going to do anything that isn't going to score him points with Republican primary voters.

He has to know that this is going to be a positive for Cuba and yet he toes the party line anyway. Marco "Superstar of the Republicans" Rubio can go gently caress himself and take Ted Cruz with him. Chuck Schumer can tag along even though he's from the other party because gently caress him, too.

Casimir Radon posted:

Sony pussed out on releasing The Interview.

At one theater in Texas in the original Interview premiere time slot, Team America will be shown instead. America gently caress Yeah instead of Seth Rogen is a net win if I've ever seen one at the movies.

quote:

"We’re just trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation," James Wallace, creative manager and programmer at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema’s Dallas/Fort Worth location, tells The Hollywood Reporter.

e- https://www.yahoo.com/movies/texas-theater-to-show-team-america-in-place-of-105491244997.html

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 18, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I would like to thank Best Korea for saving us from another Seth Rogan movie.

I call Jason Segel "Other Seth Rogen" because I can't remember (nor do I care to because he also sucks) his name.

I'd really be confused if I didn't learn Jonah Hill's name thanks to Allen Gregory a few years ago. Jesus Christ, that show was awful.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're talking about these guys, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEbgAB269ik

They're certainly something.

I'd have loved to have seen Dear Leader giving firearms training seeing as he was a magic man that shot a 68 under par the first time he played golf and wrote 1,000 books.

My guess as to the result would have been "couldn't handle the gun and blew himself back onto the floor", with a possible side dish of "accidental homicide of a Nork private".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I read somewhere that North Korea's version of "Internet" is really just one big intranet spread across an entire country.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I wonder if the North Koreans were honestly disappointed that the Sony hack didn't reveal loads of smoking gun secret plan internal documents proving Sony is a front for the CIA or something.

Clearly, those drat imperialist bastards use Sony Pictures as a front to taunt North Korea because of their jealousness toward the infinitely superior Juche system drawn up by the Dear Leader. This movie' ulterior motive was to taunt Dear Leader into a response to this act of aggression.

I had a tenant who was a conspiracy theorist, so it's easy to spitball BS like that.

Mike-o posted:

I take that back, apparently they used windows before they developed that version of Linux.

drat America to Hell, except for their operating systems.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That sounds like an exchange from a James Bond movie.

MrYenko posted:

James Franco is always an unlikable douche.

I had no idea who he was before his Roast on Comedy Central. I got the impression you did, especially since the people roasting him were a pack of equally unfunny people.

iyaayas01 posted:

Dubya: "I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straightforward and trustworthy. We had a very good dialogue. I was able to get a sense of his soul; a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country."

I'm more partial to Gates' assessment: "I looked in his eyes and I saw the same KGB killer I’ve seen my whole life."

Oh Dubya, you dipshit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Lazy Reservist posted:

That was not a roast. That was a two hour mutual-masturbation session of this generation's so-called "funniest" comedians. Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan were competing to see who was gayest for Franco. poo poo's gone downhill since Greg Giraldo OD'd.

Yeah, that's true. Calling it a Roast was a bit more diplomatic than calling it a circle jerk, I guess.

Speaking of which, The Interview's being released. Put up or shut up, Norks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

gfanikf posted:

It was actuall pretty funny....and violent. Park and Bang have some of the best performances and lots of dick and sodomy jokes. In all it was pretty enjoyable.

psydude posted:

Watched The Interview. It was basically Pineapple Express in North Korea, but it had some funny moments.

Interesting to see this. I have a couple friends stationed at Scott who got to see it for free somehow last night and they said it sucked hard.

• Locked thread