Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Choco1980 posted:

Cow and Chicken meanwhile was one of those shows like Rocko's Modern Life that hid dirty jokes everywhere. Most notably there was the episode (I believe later banned from CN) about "Buffalo Girls", an all female rough and tumble biker gang that comes in and eats all the carpets in the house.

Wasn't there another cartoon like this where one of the characters made a lesbian joke where he brought out a cardboard box and said something like "yeah, she said all I have to do is chow on this box!"

I can't remember the cartoon but I remember that scene and wondering how the hell that got past the censors, it was pretty drat funny at the time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

90s game intros were awesome - I remember how stoked I was when Quake 2 first came out in '97

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miHAh2Q-U94

The little stuff made the intro - radio chatter, voice-overs that sounded like they were from the news, I was loving PUMPED when I first got it :black101:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Joe Friday posted:

I loved (and still love) Unsolved Mysteries. They scared me to death growing up. I recently re-watched some and find the aliens/D&D/ghosts very 90's. There was one murder that the show attributed to the "occult" that was related to Magic the Gathering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5h2x3G40to

It wasn't just the intro music, Robert Stack doing the voice-over always made it more eerie to me. Dude had the perfect voice for stuff like that, always made everything subtly more weird and creepy. RIP Robert Stack

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm actually not surprised by that. Even if the weird Crazy Frog toasting thing they added over the top was really, really annoying, you can still dance to "Axel F". Coldplay's stock in trade was and still is immeasurably dull dirge music.

Plus, Family Guy can reference Axel F and make it hilarious...don't think the same can be said for Coldplay tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qfMIhV1UJE

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Ha, good times, all those songs remind me of my first job at a Walgreens, I think that CD and the elevator music channel were all they played

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The people I knew that liked Ska generally liked at least some No Doubt. Their albums before they got famous were pretty ska (or album...I forget if there was more than one from that era but I have a copy of a very, very good album that predates Tragic Kingdom) but didn't like Sublime all that much. It was a luke warm thing; a few people would like one Sublime album or a few songs but mostly it was the druggies that liked Sublime. Incidentally they also hated No Doubt. Odd.

Yeah, I saw a lot of this in high school - I got into ska through a few friends, they were all into Reel Big Fish, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Bosstones, Save Ferris, even Sublime, but a good chunk of them just hated No Doubt. My only gripe with ND at the time was Gwen's voice sounding so nasally and it kinda annoyed me, and some of it seemed to "pop-like" for my tastes. I remember people not caring much for ND because in their opinion, they felt like ND was just in it for the money, where a lot of guys who liked Sublime respected that they were just a party band that got popular and started selling tapes out of their trunk, and didn't care so much about the money or fame - they just wanted to have fun and gently caress around.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best part is that Coolio and Weird Al didn't turn it into a huge rivalry. Given how petulant music industry celebrities can be that was kind of a shocker. They also made up later and Coolio eventually said something to the effect of "yeah ok that was pretty funny in retrospect."

Not to mention Coolio's song was already a cover of a Stevie Wonder tune, Al could've just gone to Stevie's people and asked and Coolio couldn't do poo poo about it. I always thought that was at least part of why there was never any legal action, but I hated hearing all the crybaby people bitch about someone doing a parody of their favorite "serious dark rap song" like Weird Al had busted their door down and killed their families while making it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god, the kids! Though i didn't see any rat tails. Were those more 90s or 80s? I associate them with white trash kids from the early 90s.

Rat tails were definitely a mid-late 80s thing for the most part, I remember plenty of kids having them (and getting made fun of)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

I remember trying to install Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (which was pretty much a pallet swap of AoE2). It required a minimum of 32 megs of RAM, I only had 24 :smith:

Psh, I remember the old Acer P100 my dad bought in the early/mid 90s that had all of 4MB EDO in it (later upgraded to 8MB). Original Quake played pretty well on it for a while after he installed a 4MB video card, Quake 2 not so much. I played that game in almost the smallest window possible because anything higher than 800x600 played like a slideshow :lol:

Ah, the good old days.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

Sure, but that changed into skinnier suits a while back.

Tailoring is your friend, especially for big/tall dudes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The Repo Man posted:

I don't remember 2 Stupid Dogs being a gross out show. It was okay from what I remember of it. Cow and Chicken was horribly bad. 90% of the shows on Cartoon Cartoons were even worse, but I think that's where Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Family Guy got their starts.

Or maybe it was What A Cartoon, and that was on during Cartoon Cartoons. Either way it was awful.

Pretty much, What A Cartoon was kinda the equivalent of Liquid Television for that stuff, just more tame.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Man, I forgot how bright and oversaturated the 90s was when it came to pretty much everything colorful. TV shows, commercials, toys, clothes...compared to the sort of faded "realism" look that's been happening over the last decade or so. I never thought watching 90s commercials on YT would hurt my eyes so much lol

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

ZDar Fan posted:

I was a huge Jim Carrey fan and I certainly remembered his rise as a big comedy star, but I didn't realize that Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb & Dumber all came out in 1994. God drat.

It was fun as hell watching him get better after In Living Color, he was amazing in that show. Ace Ventura is still a goddamn masterpiece and never fails to make me laugh.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

The graphic design, the clothes, etc etc

It looks more like a post-apocalypse movie with the perpetual smog and dim lighting. "Hey the world is going to poo poo but at least we'll die pretty!"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I always felt Collective Soul was the most manufactured of the Grunge bands.

Collective Soul is to "grunge" what Nickelback is to "music"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I knew grunge was dead when WCW had a grunge rocker parody character named Raven. His intro music was a ripoff of Nirvana's "Come As You Are" and his signature move was called evenflow like Pearl Jam's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3vOV3Dr21E

They did a lot of that stuff, even DDP's intro music was Smells Like Teen Spirit in a different key or something

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Randaconda posted:

I love 80s/early 90s pointless guitar solos. :colbert:

fight me irl

One of the first badass guitars I heard growing up was Eruption by Van Halen. Still love me a wicked solo or instrumental piece.

Dont forget crazy drum solos too, my bro was huge into Motley Crue & seeing Tommy Lee wailing away in a rotating drum cage was badass :black101:

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Dec 28, 2018

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

A 90s song that remains relevant.

Eat The Rich!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-0lAhnoDlU

Anytime I hear this I think of the old Aerosmith Revolution X arcade game (apologies if it was already mentioned, I've been skimming through on a nostalgia trip lol)

I can't remember what it was about other than having shooty guns, I think you ended up taking out a helicopter at one point to try to rescue the band or something

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

At my last job, I worked in a pretty tiny cubicle so I got one of these because I figured it was better for working in such a small space. That was five years ago, I work from home now but I still use it. Apart from color, the only real difference between mine and this one is that there are forward and back buttons near the ball.

I still have a wired one from literally 25+ years ago I used to play DOOM II & it’s still functional, might hook it up to my little retro Dell Win98 laptop.

Inzombiac posted:

Same here and he always beat my rear end in Quake so...

:hfive: nothing more fun than whipping that trackball & zooming away like a bat outta hell, reminded me of a mini version of the golden tee & bowling arcade games

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Feb 19, 2023

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Maybe not the right place but this popped in my head recently...definitely 90s, weird & I still remember it debuted on MTV during Liquid Television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFyoHK-m8Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I didn't have any of the fancy super soakers but I did con my parents into getting me an ultimator

I had an XP50 & my neighbor friend had the 100, fun as hell during summer & I think we even had multiple bottles for quick refills. Hard to believe that was 30+ years ago…:sigh:

deoju posted:

I remember watching that as a kid even then being like, ":wtf: this is on TV?"

There was this block of programming on MTV called Liquid Television that was full of weird poo poo. I remember a show about a dude with a giant head that an alien lived in.

Liquid TV ruled, that’s where Beavis & Butthead started. Then there was The Maxx, The Head, Joe’s Apartment, Crazy Daisy Ed…so much weird variety for the time :)

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Apr 20, 2024