Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Sociopastry posted:

BOOP THE NOSE. BOOP IT.

I obeyed your command and the photo got bigger so I could enjoy it again.

That is a fabulous cat, and that is one fabulous photo of it.

Here is my sunlit cat:

And here she is "hiding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

I.C. posted:

I read this as 'Here is my unlimited cat.'

Either way. Very cute :witch:

Well...she runs on solar, so...

Thank you. She is the best cat. :3:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

This is what happens when I'm bored and the cat is stoned off her rocker on good catnip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBMsO_B7-Q

Holy poo poo, that is genius. Well done. Music is all "OMG SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN" and cat is all, "yo, dude."

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Deaf mans cat wants a treat.

Holy crap, that is cute. Thread won.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Foxhound posted:

Is it possible to embed webms? In any case:

http://i.imgur.com/E7o0lEr.webm

The only way this could be any cuter is if it were penguins. And this is coming from someone who generally doesn't like kids that much.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Not much of a cute picture here, but it was an incredibly uplifting story to me.

For some backstory, about two weeks ago I was arriving at work when I saw a kitten crawling around in the parking lot. It wasn't in very good shape, basically digging up crud that was stuck in the pavement. It was extremely tame and started following me to the door. I decided that I'd take him in and give him something to drink and figure out what to do next. When inside I realized he was basically in a state of constant purring, with a slight wheeze to his breath. I figured he was sick with pneumonia or something, because he wouldn't stop purring even if he was on the other side of the room doing nothing, and it didn't sound good. Really sweet kitten though, super curious and he just wanted to cuddle the whole time.

I called the animal hotline and I was told a local vet would take him. So I picked him up and put him in my car and started driving. Little ways in he climbed up on my shoulder and sat there for the entire drat trip to the vet, it was heartwrenching. So I arrive and the vet agrees his breathing doesn't sound right. I had to go back to work, and I figured he must belong to someone in the area, so I left him there and went back and posted a thing to a local Facebook group for lost animals.

A woman messaged me saying she thought it was hers, but then later in the day she found out it wasn't after all. Now I felt really bad at this point. I'm not allowed to keep pets where I live otherwise I would have taken him in an instant. But I pushed it out of my mind and hoped that someone would recognize him, but then just nothing happened.

I've been really depressed lately since I'm losing my job. Today was my last day, in fact, and not 5 loving minutes from quitting time I get called up by the vet, telling me that the kitten I had brought in had been adopted. It was a goddamn christmas miracle, and it made my lovely day. Turns out he wasn't sick, he was just so desperate for human contact he literally could not stop purring, holy poo poo, the only thing I'm a little bit sad about is I didn't get to keep him myself, but whatever who cares poo poo is awesome.

Here's a pic of him tearing it up at my now former office in front of my finger.

Goddamn you're my hero and if I had a job to give it'd be yours. What field are you in? I don't even know if there's anything I can do myself but dammit I'm willing to try. I think one Christmas miracle deserves another.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Kidney Stone posted:

I've just sent you a PM with a possible job...

Awesome! As soon as I saw Denmark, my heart sank, but I'm glad someone can help. You're a peach. :3:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

it just dawned on me why pallas' cats are so angry looking. It's the eyes with the round pupils instead of the cat slits.

I never thought they looked that angry, but those pupils...I'd never noticed and now I can't stop looking at it. Kind of like when you first notice goats' pupils are horizontal.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

I watched this whole thing with a huge idiot grin on my face.

Twice.

Smoking Crow posted:

Camels are underrated, imo. Post some cute pics of camels please

Sorry it's not on YouTube yet, and this is sort of a cop out, but I thought it was pretty funny:

http://www.marketmenot.com/geico-camels-its-what-you-do-commercial/

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Dec 23, 2014

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

I can't tell you how many times I watched that, giggling, while my cat stared at me like I was some sort of idiot.

"Just one more...okay just one more..."

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

Oh cool I get an excuse to post this again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7Z8ag4oSY

That reminded me of this (which might be cheating, sorry):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLbV4tl9n20

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Beagles are awesome dogs; I have no doubt they'll get along swimmingly.

This is Tucker. Tucker is a 15-year-old (more or less) pug/German shepherd mix. He loves chasing tennis balls and rolling around on the grass. Tucker is a good boy.

Edited because oh wow, that's huge.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Fast and the Furious: Porkyo Drift

I laughed so hard my abs hurt.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Cage posted:

The pun where you got 2 compliments and no harsh words of any sort?

Pretty sure we were both being serious--I was. My boyfriend laughed too. I love a good pun.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Aw thanks. :buddy: Clearly my years of goonpostin' have made me overly cynical.

This is a safe space, friend.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I don't know how cute this is, in particular, but it is inspiring and drat if I didn't tear up every time I watched it.

http://youtu.be/aN7lt0CYwHg

Badass girls of all sizes and ages hustling and working up a sweat.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Jan 15, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Miniature Moose posted:

Just saw this video of a dog being rescued, and felt like it needed to be shared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWI5ZksmJ3k

Just the difference between when they first saw him to even when they're walking him out of the body shop is amazing.

Hope for Paws is a GREAT organization. My friend recommended me to them when I was asking for recommendations for donation-worthy organizations. I've watched several of their videos and bawl like a baby every time. The difference between rescue and pre-adoption is nothing short of miraculous, and it's obvious that their rescuers really know how to handle feral dogs. That can be dangerous--even with little dogs--but they always seem to handle things masterfully.

If you've been feeling a little over-hydrated and need a good cry, check out hopeforpaws dot org (initially wrote dog org haha) and watch their rescue videos. I've never ugly-cried so hard in my life.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Octolady posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HHP3P_1bNM

I think Maru's ability to push himself out from under a couch is the best thing I've ever seen :3:

I've always thought Maru was a bit of a chunk, and Hana's so skinny it only makes him look bigger. What kind of cat is he? He's not fat exactly, but certainly not dainty.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Acid Reflux posted:

Jack agrees with you!

Jack loves belly rubs, frequently brings his toy mice to you to play fetch with for a while, and is the cutest sleeper in the whole big wide world.

(edited to add) - there's nothing in any of those pictures to provide any sense of scale, but Jack is also pretty near 15 pounds of not-really-fat cat. He is a big, big boy and made completely of love. :)

Jack is almost identical to my human-named cat Mona! :3:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Tom Funk posted:

This is my cat Falkor. Now, I know he's probably not the cutest cat in the world, and, well, he usually has a constant expression of either displeasure:

or anger. That is a pissed off lookin' dude.

but sometimes he is precious

and his eyes are beautiful

Let me tell you about how I got Falkor.

For some absurd reason, I didn’t have a cat. I wanted to change that so I decided to go the the local animal shelter. Now, my whole thing was that I wanted to go into the cat room (cat rooms are magical, wonderful places) and have the cat choose me.

I hung around in the room for about 10 minutes, and while there were some pretty rad cats, none of them really spoke to me. Well, that cat-lady came in and asked which one I wanted and I told here I wasn’t sure. Just then this goofball of a tubby, large-chined grey cat strolled up to me and *booped* me in my leg.

I asked here what his name was and she told me Falkor.

If you don’t know, Falkor is the greatest character from the greatest movie ever made and my childhood favorite, The NeverEnding Story. It was meant to be.

I love him more that I thought was possible. He gives head boops all the time and is the neediest, sweetest lil' guy in the world.

Falkor has a chronic :what: face.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Hope I'm not too late to the bird game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIX_6TBeph0

I can't decide if I'm going to be a crazy cat lady or a crazy bird lady when I'm older, because drat ravens are cool. I only learned a couple of years ago that they could actually learn to talk, though I always knew they were smart.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

IslamoNazi posted:

It's cheating if you need to dub the voices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxU-i0iMwe4

Well sonofabitch.

The worst is that my internet is hosed right now and I can't get the videos to open so I can't even see what you're talking about. :(

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

tviolet posted:

It doesn't count as "cute picture" but this video always makes me feel so, so good : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChJ6eO3k48

I watched this like an hour ago, but I had to come back and say thanks for posting it. I got some bad news today (my lovely stepmom is in the hospital and it could be bad), and was going to ask for cute kitten pictures, but this did the trick.

(Cute kitten pictures are of course still welcome.)

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Buggiezor posted:

Yeah, like Sociopastry said maybe find some fun stuff they can share. If she's allowed to have any food or drink maybe you can find some little treat she likes. How much can she do? Maybe a board game they can play or something simpler like word searches or mad libs. Even if she can't participate, a puzzle book might be good for him. Something to keep him from being too bored sitting with her. How far does he drive to the hospital? It may sound corny as hell but if it's a longish drive or he's going back and forth a lot maybe find him a CD he likes to keep his spirits up. Or one he can play for her while he's with her.

I wish I could be more help but I've never been in a situation like that. I hope she gets well soon!!! Keep us updated and we'll send good thoughts your way!

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm wracking my brain for ideas to help my stepmom, but she can't really read in the hospital since her vision is still a bit blurry, and small text gives her a headache and could send her into relapse* (she has Guillain-Barre and they're doing everything they can to keep her from setbacks). She's always liked to read, so I wonder if a book on tape would help? Or some language lessons? She's still pretty weak--was only able to sit up for a few minutes yesterday, propped up--but her mind is clear and she must be bored to pieces.

In exchange for your kindness, I offer an ACTUAL mimicking raven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXU7o0fYII

Almost too easy: lil Lil Bub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nYvJY2C9B4

And, I'm pretty sure this one hasn't been posted before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7znI_Kpzbs

*This isn't true, Guillain-Barre isn't caused by headaches, but I'm sure the stress and discomfort isn't good for her.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Jan 28, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

mycot posted:

Can someone explain what's wrong with the other video? It's going over my head.

Another poster said it was over dubbed, but it seemed pretty legit to me. Still cute though, right?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

:iamafag:

Tracula posted:

Bernese Mountain Dogs are the biggest and dopiest animals ever. We have a fat one that's probably around 10 years old now. She's getting up there in age and has trouble getting around sometimes but every time she gets out in the snow she goes absolutely insane and rolls around in it, totally forgetting how old she really is.

They're so cute...my boyfriend and I were bickering (playfully) about what dog to get when we buy a house. He likes little dogs, I like big ones and I want about four greyhounds, maybe a great Dane and a boxer, or just some goofy gently caress we find at the shelter. We were watching Too Cute! (I know) and those guys came on and we both fell in love.

My boyfriend's parents' dog, the GSD/pug mix I posted earlier, is 15 (give or take, another rescue) and still chases tennis balls like a goddamn puppy. He's faster than any dog I've ever seen and completely obsessed with tennis balls. After a while, when he gets tired, he'll roll around in the grass, periodically stopping to re-position the tennis ball under his shoulders for a little massage.

Once we threw a yoga ball out in the courtyard and he almost gave himself a stroke trying to catch it in his mouth.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Sorry to interrupt dog chat, but I have some news I'm too excited to keep quiet on. My family member, who I mentioned before was in the hospital, is doing much better! She has Guillain-Barre, which has an 80% recovery rate BUT that recovery can take up to a year. I just found out today, that she might WALK out of the hospital next week! She is feeding herself and her stats are back to normal. I knew she was a fighter, but I didn't expect her to bounce back so quickly. Naturally, the disease will affect her for the rest of her life (the flu might be the end of her, and she's a nurse, so returning to work is likely impossible), but she's doing so much better!

She's the tiniest, most adorable, yet feisty and stubborn lady I know, so there's plenty of cute in this story too. I'd post her picture but I want to respect her privacy as much as I can while sharing the good news. :)

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

IslamoNazi posted:

:respek:

It's so awesome when people pull through stuff like this. It's like they just go NO gently caress YOU REALITY I'M BETTER THAN THAT.

Thank you! You've pretty much nailed it. She's the last person I know who would wither away in a hospital bed. I'd be willing to believe she'd say exactly that. "Nope, not gonna take this poo poo lying down, I got this poo poo."

She's a very close family member, and we've butted heads before (we're BOTH incredibly stubborn and headstrong), but I've always had a ton of respect for her. I'm so thrilled.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

IslamoNazi posted:

My brother stole a cat once. Her name is Belle.

He was living with someone who did not have a good grasp on anger management and used to beat the cat, well kitten at the time, severely. Her voice box really doesn’t work anymore, she can’t cry out for help, she has a lot of trouble even just purring. Belle did not have a good start to her life. So my brother stole her.

5 years later and she is still scared of basically anything. If you win her trust though it’s probably impossible to find a cat that will give you more affection than Belle does. I lived with her for years, fed her daily, before she was cool with me. This is a cat that does not have a good reason to trust people.

Now days she lives in a little 3 room shack in the middle of nowhere and couldn’t be happier. There are a bucket load of birds that she’s way to scared to actually catch but absolutely loves stalking for a bit. She’ll go up and say hello the the kangaroos and it’s amazing trying to work out who is more scared of who.

There are two things she really likes in life. Chasing down cat biscuits and getting brushed. You can’t stroke, scritch, pat, rub her for more than 30 seconds before she’s had enough of your poo poo but if you bust out the brush she’ll basically overdose on happiness. It’s still the only way to make her purr. It’s also guaranteed cat drool. A lot of cat drool. She’s pretty cool about it though because she’ll lick it up to stop you from being coated in cat drool, well to smear it around a bit anyway.

She’s still pretty good at hiding if she doesn’t want to hang out. She’s also so good at not wanting to ride in a car that people get enlisted to house sit to stop her from having to get in one. That isn’t much of a problem though, the super cool Thai lady next door will feed her home made fish cakes day in and day out and it costs a bucket of limes when you can get them. Belle is doing the best out of the deal but it’s pretty easy to get everyone else to the table to make it happen. (Jossies fish cakes are amazing btw).

So I’m currently on house sitting duties and have a bit of time and thought I’d write this up.

edit: Spellings

I'm trying to figure out who is more awesome, Belle or your brother. :allears:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

I pet Bub once! I met her at a gallery event in SF a couple of years ago. I was too timid to pet her like that, though; I just barely touched the top of her head. Her fur is extremely soft. :3:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I recently learned that ferrets are illegal in California, because if they get out they're extremely destructive to native species.

Humans are still okay, apparently. ;-)

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Beardless posted:

I love that the raven's entrance syncs up so perfectly with the music.

Turns out this is the site of SB 50, and Ravens fans are predictably going nuts.

I've watched this at least five times and it doesn't get old. It being near where I live and the fact that the last SB we won was against the team that plays there is even better.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I sure hope this hasn't been posted in this huge huge thread because I can not post it fast enough!

I don't think it has but I've seen it a bunch of times, and it NEVER gets old.

Neither does this one:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

This reminds me of the little ladybug I saved today. It was chilling on the floor at my work, right on a major pathway. I'm too superstitious to let someone step on it. It didn't want to crawl on my finger and it didn't want to get off my hand onto the tree outside, but I eventually got it there.

Winklebottom posted:

The weird grimace they make after tasting/smelling the marmite is the Flehmen response. It draws air into an auxiliary smell organ.

It also makes the animal look funny.

My cat does this CONSTANTLY. I've had cats my whole life and I was 20 the first time I saw a cat do it. She was a kitten and she had stuck her head inside my housemate's shoe, and withdrawn it with her mouth wide open and her lips curled back. To this day, she does it constantly, either in response to a smell, or after she's snapped at me and I've pulled my hand away and she still wants to seem threatening. In fact, she just did it about half an hour ago, but now she's back to being adorable sleeping at the foot of the bed.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgc86ihzJOw

(warning: weapons-grade levels of cuteness)

One of the problems I have with human interactions with wildlife is that it's usually in a tourist setting, where the animals are at worst terribly abused and at best kept in unnatural conditions. But this is a vet who very clearly cares a lot about these babies, even going so far as to personally vet (haha) the zoo the cubs are going to. She even suggests that the hunter who killed the mother may not have done so if he'd known about the cubs (truthfully, the only time cougars really present a threat to humans is when you get around their cubs anyway, but it may have been a trophy hunter and not someone killing out of self-defense). So yeah, all-around levels of :3: in this video, and not just from the baby cats.

I also like how she pointed out that being a zookeeper isn't just snuggling with baby exotics. All-around great video.

Kimmalah posted:

Really want to pet that cheetah..until I remember what my relatively tiny house cats can do to me on a whim when they decide they don't want to be petted anymore. Then not so much. :stonk:

Found this related video on why cheetahs are so fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vejjVgIHg

It's fascinating. I watched the whole three minutes with my mouth open. WARNING: the cheetah gets its prey at the end, so for maximum cuteness, turn it off before 2:50.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

That's like, insane toddler in a Toys R Us after a Skittles binge levels of excited right there, love it!

Content: Hummingbird "snoring" :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uEfmQt34Nc

You should have seen the :catstare: look my cat just gave me when I opened this.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

I think we all need a picture of this, like, a half hour ago

I'll replay it again tonight when I get home and see if I can get her to do it again. She does have a pretty expressive face, although her default expression is a mixture disdain and contempt with mild tolerance.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Thunderfinger posted:

So a normal cat then?

Essentially, yes, but occasionally her :catstare: is even more intense.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Those are my romeldales. They have extra soft fleece so they wear lightweight coats to keep hay and stuff out of it in the winter so we get nice clean wool off of them when we shear in the spring. I just sheared the first one today because she's due to have lambs next week and got almost 5 pounds of the most lovely wool you can imagine :swoon:

Flirt was very good and just stood there munching hay while I worked. Occasionally she would look over at her wool or give me nose kisses :3:

Taadaa! Not a scratch on her and nice and tidy in preparation for babies.

And this is what her yarn looks like when its all done.

I love wool and always feel bad using it because you never know what kind of farm the wool comes from. Thank you for treating your babies right. <3

Geolicious posted:

Would you like to borrow my Henry Cat? He is an excellent nurse catte. I have been sick this week and he has been ever vigilant in caring for me with his patented cure of purrs and paw pats.
Cat purrs have actual, legitimate healing power--something about the wavelength they purr on. I actually listen to a site that plays purring as white noise and it really does help me relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Dove from Above posted:

Is it this? Because I love this site. You can also layer your sounds - so you can have a cat purring, a fireplace crackling and a wintry wind blowing in the distance. A whole cosy little soundscape. The frog pond one is also pretty cute. It sounds like at any moment Sebastian's going to say "Percussion!"

That's the very one! I love it--the cat purr calms me down immediately, but I also like the busy cafe because it makes me a little more productive, but you get the option to have no voices so you're not distracted by people talking. I never realized how much white noise helped me until this site!

• Locked thread