Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

this is probably the most annoying thing about the EU, lovely writing aside. there aren't any nobody characters. If they've got a name, then they're one of the most important people in the galaxy.

That's the fuckin truth right there. Anakin being the creator of C3PO is the absolute pinnacle of this. Hell, R2D2 and C3P0's very existence in the prequels is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

You don't mean that literally, do you? So the Star Wars EU has pedophilia and bestiality now?

Han Solo hosed one of those things.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Present posted:

Best part of Episode One. Not like that is saying much.

Nope. Episode One sets the bar pretty low. Star Wars Christmas low.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Pondex posted:

QED: The Millenium Falcon is an old piece of poo poo and Han Solo is an rear end in a top hat conman who shot first.

Mind you, that doesn't make the films worse. In fact it make them more interesting that a main character is such an anti-hero and his ship is so unreliable.

Fixed that for you.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Pneub posted:

Long story short, just use :pcgaming:SPACE LASERS!:pcgaming:.

The Navy has those now, so... America, gently caress yeah?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Has anyone ever been crucified in Star Wars? Thats gotta be a thing, somewhere.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jace Madan posted:

For real though they better bring Kyle Katarn Back into the SW universe, he's one of my most favorite characters.

I would love a scene in the movies where some sith acolyte shows off with some flashy lightsaber moves to be all intimidating, and Kyle pulls an indiana jones and shoots him with his bryar pistol.

There is a CHANCE. There is talk in the Star Wars Rebels thread about plans for an animated movie about how the death star plans were captured. I think all the Kyle Katarn fans know that story. If they decide to change it or not is up to Disney though.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

According to wookiepedia, he was obsessed with her and wanted to turn her to the dark side so she'd learn to love him too. Then he was shot through the heart, with lasers!

Was Leah to blaim? Did she give love a bad name?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Lord of Pie posted:

They didn't grow any food on Naboo because Naboo wasn't the one designated Farm Planet.

Naboo was pretty hosed up for a star wars planet anyway. They had water areas AND not-water areas on the SAME PLANET.

But, they didn't have sand. Which is ok, because it's course and rough and irritating and gets everywhere.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I just wish there was more of a feeling behind Yoda's hermitage. If he hid not only due to being hunted down but as penance after realizing that those clone troopers weren't disposable people at all but that even he as a wise master didn't see that. :ohdear: Would've only taken like 30s of screen time.

Yoda actually sees the clones as people, a lot of the jedi do, after fighting alongside them. Also I think in season 5 of The Clone Wars, the jedi figure out that he clones were originally commissioned by the bad guys, but they're like "oh poo poo. Well we're in this war too deep now, I guess we gotta just keep trying to win."

The cartoons also explain the hermitage more I think. They're really the best Star Wars thing since the originals.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I didn't think Jar Jar was all that racist at first, but I started watching Clone Wars recently and holy crap he is seriously honest to God straight out of a minstrel show. Lawdy lawdy massa messa Jah Jah binks gonna go picka da cotton, okie-day?

This. He's not a retarded Rastafarian, I don't know where people are getting that, unless they've never been exposed to America's past. He's a racist as gently caress 1800s-1970s depiction of black people, just as an alien. Him and his whole species live separately but equal to the humans on Naboo.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The force unleashed sucks, if you want to throw people around with your mind get Psy Ops. it's not star wars related at all, but you can take over people's minds and make them shoot themselves in the head.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Was Futurama ripping off the starwars EU with the giant chicken lawyer?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

George Lucas has been out to destroy Indiana Jones since the day the idea crossed his desk.

G — We've established that he's a college professor. It doesn't have to be done in a strong way. It starts out in a museum. They just call him doctor this and doctor that. We can very easily make that transition, and very quickly establish that whole side of his character. In the story the ramifications of him as a ghost hunter have not been dealt with yet. But I put it in his character for use in some other way.

He's been pushing that ghost bullshit since day 1.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This is a GREAT read.

G — They're the third world local sleazos. Whether, they're Mexicans or Arabs or whatever.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

that being said, i dont think any of the ages or anything are actually in the movie

Seriously, in Raiders it's left ambiguous what happened between them but I'm pretty sure she says she was 15.. It never gets mentioned again, but there is a chance Indy is a pedo. Thanks George Lucas.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

david... posted:

actually no its the all smugglers wear that outfit

See: Lando on the millennium falcon.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I want one of the 3 billion spinoff movies they're undoubtedly going to make to be just a straight-up war movie following a stormtrooper squad. Like a kid-friendly We Were Soldiers or Black Hawk Down or whatever with blasters and plastic armor. Just a whole movie of stormtrooping and TIE strafing runs.

They pretty much did that once or twice in The Clone Wars.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Traviss depicted Mandos as honor-bound farmers who only fought for noble causes or whatever the gently caress. Basically imagine how white people view native americans and maori and apply that to a race of space nomad people who dress like Boba Fett and live on Nebraska: The Planet. The Clone Wars series depicted mandalore as having a ruling monarchy that was being harassed by dudes dressed like Boba on a planet with high technology and cool looking skyscrapers. It also gave Obi-Wan (JEDI OLIGARCHY!!!) a good love interest and most of the armor-wearing mandos were bad guys who sided with darth maul and his insane brother (seriously) in a later episode.

Clone Wars makes mandos Space Fascists with Warrior Culture. Obi's love interest tries to change that and bring peace to her planet, but her people are all too happy to drop that peace poo poo and be Space Nazis in a second, if it makes the space trains run on time. And there is some poo poo about honorable one on one duels and "You keep what you kill."

Sammus fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 26, 2015

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

mr.capps posted:

clone wars is the perfect show to watch while playing a video game like ftl. you can tune out during the boring episodes and then pay attention to the clone trooper stuff. like its just pretty decent and it actually does some interesting stuff sometimes.

rebels is way better though

The trooper stuff is definitely the best. Even for a kid's show they don't shy away from killing a bunch of people.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've read a number of articles talking about they want the next movie to explain what happened between return of the jedi and the force awakens and where the new order came from when we don't need any of that and would probably be insanely stupid and we already have all the information we need about all of that in the force awakens.

Disney will probably make a cartoon about it anyway.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

site posted:

What happens to Asoka and Asajj Ventress from Clone Wars? They are (unsurprisingly) not featured in season 6 at all.

Asoka's alive, not sure about Ventress. I think she dies in one of the books, but I don't read anything in the EU.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mowglis Haircut posted:

That reminded me, Kit Fisto, the jedi with the long flowing squid dreadlocks, literally has a Jamaican accent in the cartoon. Goddamnit.

You mean Hermies?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I really doubt Lucas even thought about such things when he was writing Star Wars the first time.

I can buy hiding out on Tatooine (safari autocorrected that for me, which is pretty cool) because it's a big drat universe, even if we only ever visit 5 or 10 planets. And Darth Vader hides the fact that he's Anakin, so spending any significant time there, even a few trips every decade, would raise questions. Really Obi should've raised Luke on Naboo, because that is where everything started. It would make for a better story. Instead that's where Sheev is from.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That to. Who's a bigger bitch, Anakin or Kylo Ren?

• Locked thread