Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Totally TWISTED posted:

I have recently started re-watching Dollhouse - the first few episodes seem like the show could be a formulaic no long-term plot show, but if you give it time it opens up into a bit of a sci-fi / dystopian series that wraps up nicely.

Wasn't like the entire first season hooker of the week episodes and then you get that dvd only episode that shows a dystopian future. And then it was announced that there wasn't going to be a season 3 and season 2 was interesting just for it to never return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oldstench posted:

Why would anyone cringe about watching IT crowd?

Because anything after the first season is meh?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oldstench posted:

Look at this wrong opinion and laugh.

Does Denholm Reynholm come back to life? If not it's the right opinion. :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

drk posted:

If you liked 30 Rock, go watch Tina Fey's new netflix show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's fantastic.

Started watching it this morning and yeah agreed this is pretty drat good. I'm on episode 7 or 8 already and I'm looking forward to finishing it tonight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1redflag posted:

My girlfriend gets incredibly upset with me when I whisper "BaBa-dook-dook-dook as she is falling asleep. Totally worth it though.

It's worth the slap every time I do it to mine. I also have a gargally voice that I think sounds goofy but creeps her out so I combine the two.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So I have a weakness for terrible found footage movies on Netflix/Amazon Prime. We've watched VHS 1 & 2, Grave Encounters, and a smattering of other stuff I can't remember the names of but I want more. I seem to remember there being on involving dinosaurs but I can't remember it's name.

Obviously the cheesier the better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Netflix stop putting major spoilers in your descriptions please

Do I write my congressman about this or what

Which movie?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ragequit posted:

Passion of the Christ. It said Jesus dies.

Could have been From Dusk Till Dawn. I know how people get about when The Big Reveal that I've never heard referred to as a twist outside of these forums is a revealed early.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Dusk Till Dawn...that's that movie about a young George Clooney having a crazy party at a bar in the middle of nowhere, right? There's a twist in that?

Netflix tells me it's really a vampire den

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Woah, woah, woah, when did they add Bill Nye The Science Guy? Jesus H Christ that's a kick right in the nostalgia.

The girlfriend had me sit through Glee and Gilmore Girls. My turn to force a show on her

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What are some super spooky things on Netflix/Prime?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

Has anyone actually watched that yet?

My dad did. He said it was worse than some of the things he's watched on Syfy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flosofl posted:

Terrible terrible?

Or shitmazing terrible, like Sharknado?

Terrible terrible.

He liked Sharknado.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ryoshi posted:

I started this while my fiancé (who to my knowledge has never played Halo in her life) was busy with something, kind of expecting it to be unwatchable except for nostalgia. She caught the end of one episode, laughed a ton, and threw it on when we were looking for something funny to watch.

I think without my idiot high school friends quoting entire episodes day in and day out it kinda feels fresh again.

I know a guy who is now 27 and still have his facebook name set to Church. Dude was REALLY into Red vs Blue and practically ruined it for everybody.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just finished Better Off Ted and need something else to watch on Netflix. Any other good sitcoms slip through the cracks?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just used my day off to watch Zoo on Netflix. It wasn't terrible. Definitely not a bad way to kill a boring day.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Palpek posted:

Bill Burr's animated show "F is for Family" is legit. The idea is that it's the 70's and the head of the family melts down every episode about something that is a big deal to him. It helps that the main character is voiced by Bill Burr so if you're a fan you're in for a double-ride.

The only bad thing about the show is it's six episodes long.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just got HBO Now. Any recommendations for must watch TV? Skipping the obvious Sopranos/The Wire/Game of Thrones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I did The Brink today and enjoyed it. Looking it up it sucks to see there was almost a season 2. I would have like to see things just continue to escalate in an amazingly absurd way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You'd think they would reinforce the servers or whatever for those nights. All those people who are anti-piracy but using HBO accounts they aren't paying for do a doozy on the thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I liked Brink on HBONow. Tim Robins and Jack Black dealing with a middle East conflict that's escalating to a nuclear incident very quickly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started Galavant today and it's definitely good. You guys didn't say that Weird Al was a singing Monk though. That alone would have got my interest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there a place to watch Green Acres? Can I stream it says no but I'm hoping someone knows a place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started season 2 of Zoo on Netflix today and it looks like it's gone off the rails in the best most insane ways. Now animals aren't just murdering people by mauling but beavers teamed up to divert a river and flood a mine, ants are crawling into peoples spines, and humans are mutating into monstrous things. This isn't what I expected at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

I'm Not A Serial Killer is a movie about a teenage sociopath in smalltown America struggling with his condition.
There's more to it but any horror fan should see it.

It has Christopher Lloyd in it? If I ever get a day off I'm down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Here's a weird question, does anyone have any good TV or movies that can be listened to? I'm running out of audiobooks and podcasts so I need something new to listen to at work

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deadite posted:

How do you run out of podcasts?

I like the ones that are more audio drama and less people talking into a microphone. That second one is everywhere but that first category isn't anywhere near as broad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Though I feel a little silly for watching it, I am genuinely enjoying Cartoon Network's Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated (2010-2013). It's still a kids show, but it feels more Buffyish than past iterations, and is decently clever.

It's the only Scooby Doo I've ever actually enjoyed, other than WrestleMania Mystery.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I blew through A Series of Unfortunate events and really enjoyed it. I liked all of the actors they picked to play the characters, which I didn't think I was going to do because I'd watched the movie recently (which I love).

The only gripes I have are with the guy that plays Lemony Snicket, Patrick Warburton - as much as I like him it's impossible to feel like Joe from Family Guy isn't telling me the story. He just has such a distinct voice. It's also either a coincidence or they tried really hard to have the girl that plays Violet in the show look like the girl that plays her in the movie.

I've never read the books but unless I'm misremembering, the show is out of order from the movie. i.e. The wedding scene is the finale of the movie but it's shown in the first couple episodes of the show. Which is more accurate to the timeline of the books?

Also the banker is infuriating how he never listens to the kids or discounts what they say because they're kids, even though they've been right multiple times, especially in regard to Count Olaf.

I thought Warburton was a good pick because while he has a distinct voice he doesn't talk with the same style as Joe, or Brock, or The Tick. While he voice is very much him I never feel like he's just talking the same if that makes sense.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It's an awkward feeling to be a responsible adult in my 30s, and yet be actively displeased that Netflix took Scooby Do: Mystery Incorporated off Netflix right when I was halfway through the second season....

It's the only good Scooby Doo that doesn't have Wrestlemania in the title.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Tickled on HBOGo is amazing. Don't read any description or anything. Just watch it now. You'll thank me later!

Oh neat that docu finally came out

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

Hulu has always been a garbage fire of an app, though. Their search on consoles is just unforgivable.

Fixed that for you. They launched when I lived in the dorms and I wanted to try it out but the internet was super lovely. So it would take a good 20 minutes to load to the first commercial break. Then about five or so to load through the commercials and then just repeat the process. It would make a 30 minute show take about an hour because of all the stopping to load.

Then there's the shenanigans the networks pull. You pay for Hulu so you can watch current TV shows but oh sorry (Network) says you only get to watch the three newest because gently caress you that's why. And on top of you paying for the benefit of only watching the three newest episodes you also get commercials unless you pay even more on top of that.

And yeah there's some shows you can watch just fine without an account but having a paid account gives absolutely no benefit. You'd think a perk of a standard pay account would be removal of commercials on free shows but nope because ???.

:goonsay:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone else watch Castlevania? I'm on episode 2 and it's... not great so far. All I wanted was two hours of awesome gothic fights between a vampire hunter and things that live in the dark and so far I've got an hour of not that.

It never got better.

Len has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Jul 8, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

That sucks. I expect an action-adventure, heavy on the action part, from something called Castlevania.

By the end of the second hour they haven't even entered Draculas Castle yet. Most of the fights are between Trevor and Catholic Priests

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jodai posted:

This breaks my heart. I watched most of the first episode and really thought it had a lot of the atmosphere of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust so I assumed it was building towards something awesome.

Apparently Netflix trusts it because it's renewed for an 8 episode second season. Maybe it'll turn around and have more monster hunting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Castlevania should have just been billed as a movie or something. 4 short episodes was a letdown, it’s not bad but I’m only familiar with the old nes games and it was over before it really seemed to get started. Nothing happened.

Even the old NES games have more human on monster violence in the first level that those two hours did ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

I can understand BSG but why not finish Lost? The finale was one of the best.

Speaking of Lost I've been rewatching it with my daughter who has never seen it and it is a lot better the 2nd time through. Lots of things I missed the first time around -- well not missed exactly but didn't know would be important later. The plot is still what it is but the show does so many other things well, like character building, that the weak plot isn't a serious detriment. I've discovered that I can shut away my knowledge of what happens (mostly) and comment as if I've never seen it which makes it more fun for her. She guessed the ending back in S2 (which in fairness they give so many clues it isn't a stretch) but the show throws out so many red herrings that she gave up on the idea.

The ending wasn't they were dead the whole time though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

John Big Booty posted:

That would have been an improvement.

I can't argue that.

But I don't know how anyone could guess "lived the rest of their life some off the island some on the island until they died and went to a communal afterlife"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I might be dense but they made noted white man since the 70s Danny Rand a white man in the Iron Fist show and that's white washing because?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

Dipping into this pool is a fool's errand but here we go:

White man learning ancient Asian mystic arts and then becoming the best at it is a lovely trope.
Yes the character has been a white dude forever but there was a golden opportunity that they missed:

Iron Fist is a title and the carrier of the power is not immortal. They could (should?) have made it a person of Asian decent. In fact, in the comics the new Iron Fist is a young Asian girl.

Edit: The problem maybe wouldn't have been such a big deal if:
1) Iron Fist wasn't such a godawful show
2) They didn't gently caress up casting The Ancient One in Dr. Strange.

I thought white washing was when they make not white characters white? Don't get me wrong I'd be super down for them just making up all new characters and back stories because what I know of the pre-Danny Iron Fists there's some good stories to tell but instead we got Matt Murdock, Danny Rand, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Although really what we need is an anthology ghost rider series because there was a WW1 biplane rider. Or the shark rider. The cowboy with his penance fist.