Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for a discrete Bluetooth earbud that I can wear at work to listen to podcasts from my phone.

My direct boss doesn't give a toss because I work hard but his boss is really wrapped up in selling an "image" (inside a locked and secured government facility, go figure) so I need just one bud I can wear.

The Moto Hint is about the most discreet Bluetotoh earpiece I can think of:
http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories-bluetooth-headsets/Moto-Hint/moto-hint-pdp.html

It IS pricey, though. And if you only need it to go "one way" (i.e., no need for the microphone function to take calls or whatnot) then it's also overkill. But I don't know if they only make single-ear Bluetotoh headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Anyone have any advice on an iced tea maker? I like iced tea, am lazy, and have disposable income.

E: Beaten...but I have a picture. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

KoB posted:

Recommendations for car bluetooth? Im only really looking to play music over bluetooth, Ive got USB and Aux for connectors.

So you're looking for a device that will take the Bluetooth signal from your phone and then transmit it to your car stereo via the AUX input?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm looking for a decent quality but not crazy expensive little kitchen cart/stand thing. I want it to be just big enough to fit an average sized microwave, but not much bigger.

I see plenty on places like Amazon from $60-$300, but it's hard to tell which ones are good quality and which ones aren't any better than one I can get at Wal-Mart and will fall apart after one move.

V V V I probably should have mentioned IKEA isn't a great option...closest one is about two hours away in another country. V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Feb 26, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

amityville anus posted:

Pizza flavored cigarettes

Great idea, but can't have them in the US. There's legislation that has banned all flavored cigarettes except menthol.

But if you made it a cigarillo, then it'd be fine.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Mar 28, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Looking for a decent, but not expensive, HDMI switch.

I don't want to monopolize the one TV in my apartment and prevent my GF from watching trashy reality shows and formulaic cop shows, so I hooked my PS4 up to my PC monitor. It has some speakers in it, so while not great, it works until we can move to a larger place that has a dedicated "game room"/home office where I can get a second TV and put my stuff.

But I don't like having to frequently unplug the PS4/PC to plug the other in. I'm worred about wearing out the HDMI port on the monitor.

Since I could potentially play a Blu-Ray or copy-protected content, I want to make sure I get a switch that is HDCP compliant...maybe even the cheap $15 ones are, I don't know, I just don't want to get burned.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Apr 2, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I wish it did, but it doesn't. It has HDMI and VGA.

I guess I could get a DVI to VGA cable to go from my video card, but I feel like that's not as good as the existing DVI to HDMI, what with HDMI and DVI being basically the same thing and all.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

colas posted:

[ mopping ] I'm using the wrong poo poo on my tile. I mopped with bleach + water and it left a film and then I tried Fabuloso + bleach + water and it left a film. Should I just say gently caress it and use a Swiffer? I like using hot water and a bucket and everything but I keep leaving residue behind

Dude, NEVER mix cleaning products. I don't know off-hand the main ingredient of Fabuloso, but there are several ones that react very badly with bleach, ammonia probably being the worst.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Is there a "go to" recommended model/brand for serpentine/fan belts? Or at least one to avoid?

Judging by the sound it's making, it's high time I replaced the one in my 03 Corolla, and I don't want to get one that's cheap and will break/wear out sooner, but at the same time don't want to overpay for something if I don't have to.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well, I know my car has a timing chain, not a belt, so that part is ok.

But I'll pop into AI and see what they say.

Unrelated:
I'm thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard. From the reading I've done online, I'm 80-90% sure something with Cherry MX Brown is what I want. I would hate the "clicky"-ness of the blue/green.

is it worth it go get one of those little switch sampler thingies for like $15 first, though?

And after I figure out what one I like, what's a good model for a budget of ~$100-$150? Keeping in mind, I'll probably get one with Browns, or if they use a non-Cherry switch, one that would feel like a Brown. I need it to be full-sized, and preferably not a "gaming" one, as it's for work, so I want it to look at least a little bit professional.

Edit: Maybe I should just go ask in the keyboard thread in SH/SC.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My GF and I are in need of a good bike rack for her car.

Needs to hold 2 bikes, be a trunk-style, and fit a 2014 Yaris 5-door (no spoiler.)

It's so hard to judge them online, because the reviews are all over the map, and for all I know, the guy saying it fell off after 1 mile is an idiot who didn't attach it properly.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jul 13, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm looking for some nice cool LED bulbs for my house? (Cool as in color temperature.)

My GF and I both hate yellow/warm bulbs, and want ones that are a little more blue/cool. It seems most bulbs, in general, are on the yellow/warm side.

I know there's all these theories and studies about "cool light at work/during the day, warm light at home/in the evening" but we think yellow bulbs make everything look ugly. And I don't mean as blue/cool as, say, a hospital, but just something that's closer to a nice white.

Edit: So I guess something in the 5K-6k range?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Aug 25, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Just a quick suggestion. I've been meaning to make a post here and suggest it but check out limitless led. Ships from NZ which sucks so make sure you place a large order. Anyways full color spectrum lights with warm or cold and you can get a normal non-colored that'll do hot or cold

Anyways mostly its just rad because I feel like a pimp in my bachelor pad changing lights all over the place with the remote, pebble, my phone, or pc

Anyone wants to know more let me know.

I WOULD like to know more. These seem a little bit better priced than other smart-bulbs I've seen, though I haven't looked at what shipping will cost...I'm guessing a lot, what with the ocean and all.

Edit: So it looks like they're likely cheaper because the wifi isn't built into the bulbs, you buy a separate wifi bridge to connect to them. Makes a little more sense, honestly. Slightly more annoying, but why pay for wifi in each bulb when just a controller for multiple bulbs needs it?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Aug 27, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Nice, thanks for the info. I looked and it appears there is now a cheaper shipping option, only ~$18.

I didn't see this on the site, but do you know offhand the color temp. of the bulbs? The dual white ones (which I'm going to buy to start, maybe the RGB ones later) say they can do warm or cool, but not the exact temp. of those. I assume full warm is ~3000K and full cool is ~5000K?

Probably going to buy the starter kit that's on sale right now (2 bulbs, a remote, and the wifi bridge) and 1 or 2 extra bulbs just to try it out in one room.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Oh, gently caress me.

I ordered the starter kit (2 bulbs, wifi bridge, and remote) and an extra bulb to try the setup in my living room.

The problem I just discovered? The ceiling fan in my living room doesn't take standard bulbs with an E26 base.It doesn't take the tiny E14 base, either. It takes a middle-sized base I've never even seen until yesterday when I randomly decided to check them. I guess it's called "intermediate base"/E17? When I looked at Home Depot, they had a couple packs of incandescent bulbs actually labeled "ceiling Fan." Looks like that sized base is usually on an A15-sized bulb (though it looks like there's plenty of A15-sized bulbs with E26 or candelabra bases, too.) I've lived in lots of places with ceiling fans and this is the first one I've seen that didn't take a E27 socket-bulb.

I looked on the website and I don't see this size base offered, just E26 or the smaller E14 candelabra/chandelier style base.

Looks like my best option might be a converter thing to go from E17 to E26 if I still want to use these bulbs in the living room, though with the extra length the bulbs will stick out of the glass-enclosure-thing, but whatever.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Looking for a beard trimmer.

Been using a combo of hand trimming with scissors and my hair clippers for a while now, figured it's time to get something that can do the job quicker, easier, and more evenly.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It's not as even as a dedicated beard trimmer would be, no. I guess because my face has smaller curves than my head and whatnot.

Hair clippers are also too big, and can't fit around my mustache and chin/mouth area very well, hence why I have to break out the scissors, too.

And also as Geoj said, a cordless beard trimmer would be easier to get out and use, especially since it'd be more frequent (ideally like once a week, as opposed to my once a month with the annoying hair clippers.)

And regarding butter bell crocks - I don't like the idea that you have to "smoosh" the butter in there. Seems like there's no way you could do it and not get buter all over your hands.

Also, butter sticks are a great invention. Even without the wrapper, I can eyeball a tablespoon very easily and cut it off with a knife.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

kloa posted:

my grandmother tried this and ended up with moldy butter

Where does your grandmother live and how long was the butter out?

I've never seen butter get moldy. I didn't even know it was possible. Rancid? Yeah, sure, all the time (especially if it's not covered well in the fridge.)

But moldy seems almost impossible. I thought butter didn't have enough moisture for mold.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Anyone know a decent brand of dog booties?

My dog is small, short-haired, and originally from the south. I think this is his first real New England winter and the past couple days he is NOT happy when he has to go out. He has a little coast, but I'm sure his feet are getting FREEZING. Last night he peed, and he looked like he was going to poo, but then walked back over to us, stood perfectly still, and started whining like I never heard him do before. :( He didn't even want to walk back the few steps to go back inside, my GF had to pick him up and carry him in.

And even on warmer days, I want to be able to walk him without worrying too much about the salt and sand irritating his feet.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm looking for a decent set of pet stairs for my dachshund. I've had him a few months, and despite my efforts, he keeps jumping down from the couch and bed. I've tried to get him to slowly step down (he's got longer legs than a dachshund typically has, so he CAN do it, he just refuses to.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm looking for a decent security camera. There's been a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood recently, and I figure that's a good enough reason to get one.

I saw that the Nest security cam is on sale for $150 on Amazon right now, but I'd prefer one a little cheaper than that, unless the consensus is that anything cheaper than that is garbage.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

colas posted:

Do any of you have silverware drawers that are too long (deep) for the plastic silverware holder? I stuck a book behind mine because it kept sliding back. Maybe I should just put grip-y stuff underneath or something.

You'd be surprised at how well the grippy cabinet liners don't work.

Seriously, I have it on the bottom of my silverware drawer, and my tray is always sliding back. I think I'll just shove a piece of wood in there or something...or maybe a second, smaller, plastic tray (like one for putting pens into on a desk?) to put behind it and put larger items, like serving spoons, in.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

What's the best brand/place for getting weights for lifting? Looking for the best intersection of value and quality. Don't want the cheapest ones that are full of burrs or slightly mis-sized holes, or a bar that will bend with too much weight.

I've been scouring Craigslist, Freecycle, etc... for weeks, but I live in a relatively rural area, and there's basically nothing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Looking for a decent car stereo for a used truck I just bought.

I didn't really do much research for the last one I got and it sucks. It's a cheap JVC unit, and it frequently loses Bluetooth connection, the controls on the unit are terrible (it has no play/pause buttons...WTF? How does that happen, and how did I not notice when I was buying it?)

I don't want/need a touchscreen or any sort of Android/Apple Car crap. Touchscreens on car audio seem like Bad News Bears to me.

I just need something that has reliable Bluetooth, decent controls (so the standard play, pause, next/prev. track that will work with my music/podcast app over Bluetooth) and, possibly most important of all, doesn't look like dogshit.

Seriously, it's like car stereo manufacturers just got to the mid 2000's "blue LEDs and X-TREME EVERYTHING" aesthetic and said, "gently caress it, this is peak design, nothing will get better than this."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Doing a sort of "quick"/soft remodel of my kitchen, just painting walls, swapping out handles on cabinets, etc...

I'm trying to find a decent light to go over my sink. It has to be wall-mount because there's no cabinet over the sink to do an under-cabinet mount, and there's already a pretty big hole in the drywall where the romex comes out and no easy way for me to re-do the wiring to come down out of the ceiling without removing a lot of drywall.

But it seems every wall-mount light/sconce I see is made more for bathrooms, or maybe a living room/office. None of them have a "kitchen"-y feel, if that makes sense? This is a sample of "wall mounted lamps" from Lowe's:

So it's either that, or bathroom vanity style.

The old light was just a fluorescent under cabinet light mounted on the wall, so it was ugly to look at and casting most of the light "out" instead of "down", if you catch my drift.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Weird request, but I'm looking for a couch slipcover that will work with a chaise lounger.

I have this couch:

And the cats are deciding, several months in, that they now want to scratch it, despite having scratching posts and whatnot they're free to use.

But I can't actually find any couch slipcovers that include a longer or separate piece for the chaise lounge part. Closest I can find are a few (mostly on eBat that look pretty sub-par)( for L-shaped couches, like so:L
https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Shape-St...738.m2548.l4275

Is that basically the best I can do? I'm just thinking if it's for an L-shaped sectional it might be too big and baggy, is all.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I feel like fat Rob McElhenny needs to be the spokesman for this product.

It's too bad that Fat Mac wasn't the one who was making Mac's Famous Mac and Cheese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uDTYdFGhjs

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

PYF sudden onset of option paralysis

Being unexpectedly next to order at a fast food joint when they open up a second register before you were ready.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Any good phone mounts for bikes?

This seems to be the #1 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015C03SI8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

That's probably a decent enough endorsement, but it doesn't look like it holds the phone THAT securely. I'd prefer it held it on all four sides, not just the sides (I see it has little rubber mesh thingies for the corners, but it still looks like it's not enough.)

I'm getting this for my fiance so you can be drat well sure that if her phone EVER falls out of this and shatters on the pavement, I'll get quite the earful and then I'll have to buy her a new phone.

She has a Pixel XL (original, not the Pixel 2) so I guess it's (at this point) an average phone size?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Weird request, but any good choices for dishwasher detergent that's VERY low odor/scent?

The past couple I've used (Cascade packs and Kirkland liquid) my GF complained that they made her food taste like the soap, esp. when she heated them up in the microwave and ESPECIALLY the plastic ones, but even if it was in a glass container.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

1redflag posted:

The only problem with the ds4 is that its battery life sucks.

If it's being used on a PC it'll problem be plugged in, but yeah, it's atrocious.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Looking for a decent (i.e., not Wal-Mart quality) stand-alone pantry/cabinet thing for my kitchen. I have very little cabinet space, but enough room to put a cabinet between the fridge and a wall, if I move the fridge a bit.

And although I'm not against an IKEA product, I'd prefer not since I have to drive two hours into another country to get to the closest one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Definitely bigger. Like...something wardrobe sized, like so:
https://www.target.com/p/baystone-storage-cabinet-white-room-joy/-/A-54221938

I mean...I could get that or something similar from Target/Wal-mart, just wondering if there's anything that's at least slightly better quality.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Looking for some decent white t-shirts/undershirts that are longer than usual.

I guess I have a long loving torso, or something, because anytime I wear a button-up shirt that's designed to be worn un-tucked, my undershirt ALWAYS pulls up out of my pants just from such strenuous and torso-stretching activities as...sitting and standing.

Even if I have a button-up that is meant to be tucked in, and I have it tucked, I can feel the t-shirt under it always come un-tucked underneath it and bunch up a bit.

I don't wear my pants too low or anything, either. It's definitely the weird, freakishly long chest and abdomen I posses.

Hell, I welcome suggestions for any t-shirt brands that make longer ones, since I have a similar problem if I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt where sitting, twisting, and raising my arms slightly makes it look like I have a belly shirt on.

If I buy a size larger, than it's way too loose and billow around the chest and stomach, since I'm not really fatter than a size L shirt, I'm just longer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I assumed Duluth would have some (I always see ads from them about having longer shirts, shirts with bigger expansion in the joints, etc...) but I'd prefer not to spend over $20 for 1 freakin' t-shirt. Maybe a solid color one that I would wear as a regular shirt, but not for white shirts who's sole purpose is to never be seen.

When I've bought undershirts at places like Target, Wal-mart, etc..., I look for "tall" versions but have come up short.

I have found that the Izod brand fits better than others I've tried, but i don't reliably find those.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Stop wearing undershirts, you look like a dork

If I was wearing them under t-shirts, or even polo/golf shirts I'd agree, but it's pretty much standard to wear them under button-up shirts?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Need to buy a new trash can that meets the following criteria:

1. Designed for indoor use
2. Holds 14-gallon trash bags or whatever "medium" is considered
3. Doesn't have a bunch of little nooks and crannies where fruit flies can get in and create all of their wonderful little larvae that I have to spend 20 minutes each trash day cleaning out of the trash can's lid.

Alternatively, any sort of in-home bait and/or trap that I can put near my trash can to kill off those little flies will do.

SImple human.

Pricey, but MAN they are quality trash cans.

You know how on most trash cans, you step on the little foot pedal to open the lid and it goes "WHAM" even though you tried to step on the pedal gracefully? None of that. Slow open and close lids, foot pedals that are the whole width of the can, sturdy so they stay put, and a little removable tray at the bottom so if a bag leaks, it catches it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah if you get a proper deep cat puncture wound just go straight to hospital, you'll probably end up there after a couple of days of trying oral antibiotics anyway. You're very lucky that you didn't end up needing that in your case. This doesn't apply to little shallow scratches that you'll usually get from pet cats who are mildly irritated or digging their claws in to jump off you or whatever but the proper bites that you get from cats who are absolutely not loving around.

Yeah, I had cat scratch fever/disease (not just a lovely Ted Nugent song) when I was around 11 from a deep cat scratch or bite.

Swelled a lymph node in my leg after it got into my lymphatic system and I had to have surgery to get it removed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Starting to get more into doing some activity outdoors this winter, and I am looking for a decent mask.

Ideally it would have:
Removeable inner filter of some kind that's easily washable
N95 preferable (I guess? I just hate the mask getting soaking wet from the cold air condensing my breath, hoping the combo of removable inner filter and N95 vent can reduce that?)
Attach around the back of the neck via velcro...Is that a thing?

Wearing around the ear masks hurts my ears after too long, and standard around the neck ones are a pain to put on/off (especially in winter if I have a hat on,) but if there's one that attaches behind the neck via velcro or hooks that seems ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Anyone got a good pair of kitchen shears they like?

I want something all metal (drop forged? Is that what I want? I'm not versed in metallurgy).

Just sick of even reportedly good ones that break because the metal "blade" part of the scissors only go like 1/2" deep into the plastic handle.

I need something that can stand up to spatchcocking a chicken and cut through those back ribs like butter.