Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Phthisis posted:

I've heard good things about Anker cables (on amazon) and I own one and it works but I don't really use any usb c devices enough to vouch for how good it actually is.

I have an Anker portable battery and an Anker solar charger. Both are awesome and support quick-charging, so I would assume their cables do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Furcifer posted:

Looking for travel pants recommendations for men that are comfortable for 20 hours in the plane, have security zipper'ed pockets, look nice enough to wear to a relatively nice restaurant for dinner.

Why not wear something on the plane and change once you land?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

I am also looking for a product I saw here on SA. It's an attachment for a vacuum that you use to clear mucus from sinuses. It was mentioned as an alternative for parents to the bulb-thing you get for newborns. I thought I saw it mentioned in this thread, but maybe it was the recent purchases thread. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I hear they kinda suck (no pun intended) and you should just use a nose frida.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I don't own any Apple products.

Nobody asked.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

1redflag posted:

but yea, let's go with the being a oval office routine :jerkbag:

Ok.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress me $90???

Man, I am at a place where I can and need to replace all my cheap Target crap with quality products. Thanks for the recommendation.

If I'm paying $90 for a hoodie it better give me a happy ending.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

This was it. Thank you!

That looks like it's just a p40 attached to a bottle opener, rendering it doubly useful and easier to use.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bamhand posted:

What's the general cutoff size for carry-on vs must be checked in?

From a 2-second google search I found this

The universally accepted carry-on luggage size for a domestic flights (within the U.S.) is 22" x 14" x 9"

But I've taken larger bags in the past so YMMV

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

I stayed in a hotel for work the other day and had the best nights sleep I’ve had in years. It seemed like the mattress had sort of a pillow top so I’m starting with making my foam mattress a little softer on top. Any recommendations for soft mattress toppers?

That's actually due to the dead hookers stuffed into the mattress.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cornuto posted:

Anyone had any experience with the Facebook Portal? My parents refuse to get smartphones, and I'm thinking of getting one for them so they can video chat with our son/their grandson.

Buy them a tablet instead.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

EdBlackadder posted:

The cheap Bluetooth earphones I use for running/the gym are knackered (left bud not playing at all), can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive replacement? I'm not after super BB sound quality, I mostly listen to podcasts. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Headphones-Lightweight-Connection-Sweatproof/dp/B01N6DC2ZE/

These are great and I've owned two pairs since they will survive ONE trip through the washing machine, but not two.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

experienceBeej posted:

I’ve been really happy with my Miele Cat & Dog model. I picked it up used and it’s quiet and reliable.

There was a reddit thread where a vacuum repairman recommended Miele because they’re reliable and also easy to repair if they *do* break down. It’s what he was using himself. So I took the plunge and have been very impressed.

Croatoan posted:

I've owned a Dyson and I've owned a Shark. While the Dyson is better it's not worth the "holy loving poo poo" price tag. The shark is great and only put me back like $150

Are there any recommendations between these two price points or is the consensus that anything in between is not worth the extra cost? I'm more than happy buying the shark since it's at a decent price, but I have the extra budget if there was something significantly better but I don't have $1000 to spend on the Miele.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Geoj posted:

You could use a macro keyboard application to bind a unique keystroke to volume and media controls.

This is what I do. I have a few keys that I don't use on my keyboard and used Keyboard Maestro to map them to hardware media keys.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Guilty posted:

Use real loofahs instead of buying into some synthetic bandwagon poo poo?

Is there really a plastic loofah bandwagon or are you just trying to get a SICK BURN?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Snowmankilla posted:

I am looking for a good hdmi switch. Is that a thing? My big tv is just cheap enough that I have only 2 ports, but I need at least 4?

Hdmi switches are a thing, but I've never used a good one.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

We got the $200 wirecutter recommendation and love it. it's made by Anker, but with the brand Eufy or something like that.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

There are legit reasons to use a fountain pen, but it feels a bit like an affectation like smoking a pipe or wearing a fedora.

Sorry that you seem to never have encountered people that like things that you don't like.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

couldcareless posted:

For work or formal events, I wear an undershirt. Any other time, you're just a loser. Embrace the chest hair.

Do you wear button up shirts casually? You're the loser here

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

couldcareless posted:

I don't like most polos and I'm not a 12 year old so I don't wear t-shirts all the time.

Sorry man, I didn't realize that Tommy Bahama was back in style

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I agree with y'all about the b/w brother printers, but the poster specifically mentioned color so I'm not sure you're helping.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not precisely, but clicking around got me to something there that I think was a little closer to what I had in mind. Thanks!

(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33036156171.html. Even the 22mm size may be smaller than would be perfect but I think it'll do.)

If you're not familiar with aliexpress just a heads up that shipping may take a long time (~1 month in my experience)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Warbird posted:

Fs in chat for The Wirecutter. Anyone got a good reviews website?

For outdoor gear I like https://outdoorgearlab.com

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

White noise chat:

I have the classic of this and it’s incredibly good.

Adaptive Sound Technologies LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Sound Machine with 20 Unique Non-Looping Fan and White Noise Sounds and Sleep Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6D6LQY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9Z74C249SJR66DMT1PP8?psc=1

I ALSO have this one and use it for my son and would recommend it, though I didn't pay for mine

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

What is wrong with your bladder that you have enough time to accomplish anything on your phone while peeing, it takes like 20 seconds to pee.

I read this post while peeing.

Lawen posted:

I feel like I've done a bad job representing the fly users, so just to clarify:

I unzip my pants. I reach through my zipper, push the outer flap of the underwear fly to the side, reach through the inner flap, grasp my mighty member, and pull it through the fly. I hold my penis gently and urinate. I lightly pinch at the base and run a finger up the underside to squeeze out any pee left in the pipe and shake my schlong 3 or 4 times. I grab the inner flap of the underpants and pull it to the side and away from my body, enclosing my manhood back within the underpants. I zip my pants back up. I do all of this with my right hand while posting quality content on these forums with the phone held in my left hand. It is a graceful and nuanced routine that requires zero thought and that I've managed successfully since I was about 4 years old.

I was picturing the pull down crew pulling their pants and underpants down to their knees at the urinal like a child and wondering why, if it's such a popular technique, I don't see more :butts: at urinals . Gripping the waistband between ring and pinky while holding your wang with thumb and first 2 fingers makes more sense, at least. But I assure you, I find your technique just as odd as you find mine.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have a recommendation for a pair of lightweight binoculars that I can take hiking? I'd prefer them to be small and lightweight enough that taking them climbing wouldn't be a problem.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

St_Ides posted:

How much you looking to spend?

Decent low end is $75-200
Mid is $200-700
High is $700+

And what do you value most in them?

Small and light
Durability
Clear picture

For low end, you get one of those options, mid you get 2, high you get all 3.

Low end prices, and I value weight then clarity.

EDIT: I'm planning to look at birds and rocks not planets or anything

Slimy Hog has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Feb 20, 2022

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

St_Ides posted:

Cheap but okish.

Better, smaller, lighter, clearer.

Similar to the above. Better picture, less durable.

Bigger and a bit heavier, but better in every way.

Like the last ones but better picture, less durable.

All of these are from established brands. Given you’ll be hiking, I recommend keeping the magnification to 8x or below, because you’ll be holding it by hand and will have been exerting yourself hiking/climbing. All the ones here are 8x or below.

Any of these will work for you. My personal recommendations for your case are the Vortexes (the second and fourth ones, the fourth over the second), as they’re going to be designed with the most durability in mind. Vortex primarily designs around hunters and their uses.

I would also recommend a hard shell case for them. Something similar to this. Though it’ll likely come with a soft case. I’ve broken several sets by just dropping them on to a padded floor, so I always advocate for more protection.

Thanks so much!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I actually got a good deal on it, someone left it just SITTING on their doorstep

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cornuto posted:

Oneblade

Alternatively buy a normal DE safety razor and save a poo poo load on blades.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My preferred boot for hiking is a trail runner (I use an approach shoe which is similar) or the Salomon Men's X Ultra 3 Mid

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have a recommendation for a good monitor arm? I have two monitors on my desk being held up by books and boxes and I'd like to have a less cluttered workspace.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

just go to your loving doctor and talk to them about it to get something right for you. swallow your pride, talk to a professional, and don't buy gas station boner pills.

Yeah, I'm amazed so many goons are willing to take unregulated gas station pills that mess with their junk. Talk to your drat doctor if you need boner pills, it should be less embarrassing than buying your horny pills from the gas station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for board game bowls? Like, bowls you can break out to hold board game pieces? I'm thinking ideal would be like a set of 12, in like three different sizes.

My housemates are eventually going to get tired of me bogarting the sauce bowls.

I have around half of these left (they've been dropped and broken over the years) and like them
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089Q3JT74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1