Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mountain House is not bad as far as those things go. I've never had an MRE I liked. I would consider using the freeze dried stuff as backup as much as possible, a month eating it would be pretty demoralizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know about their cameras, but Ubiqiti's wifi access points are really good. Great management system.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

I need recs for a microwave under £100 ($150). I'm toying with the idea of getting one with a grill as well, but I don't know if they're any good.

Panasonic, hands down. I'm not sure you can good a good combo toaster oven/microwave for that price. It's been a couple years since I was looking, maybe they are cheaper now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

Where can I get a chopstick sampler?
Do you happen to be near a big asian market (I'm thinking Uwajimaya size)? They should have a plenty of chopsticks to choose from, cheap and expensive. This website has a bunch of nice looking ones if you want to buy online.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

I have the speakers .... I need something to plug into them to play music

Preferably with a capacity so I can put all my music on it and just leave it plugged in

What are the speakers? Like a computer speaker set with integrated amplifier?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

kloa posted:

unless you want to start messing with :science: and impedances.

Or something with stereo pre-amp outputs

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You might want to check with the heaphone thread over in inspect your gadgets.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Need a basic scientific calculator for work. It has to have nice buttons (no squishy rubber stuff). Don't need graphing or anything.

HP 35S, with the caveat that I haven't used it. It is supposed to be the successor to the HP32Sii which is really good and it seems to get good reviews. I wanted to recommend the 32Sii (which has amazing buttons), but it looks like it costs $100 used.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

This is a bit of an odd question, but I'm curious as to whether it's possible to get a slow cooker that is able to work on both UK and US voltages without having to use an adapter for one of the voltages.

Honestly, I don't even know if this is possible, let alone with a slow cooker.

For a slow cooker, you will probably need a transformer because it works by putting wall power directly through a heating element. It is the kind of appliance that is usually not made to be compatible with multiple voltages. A crafty manufacturer could make something with a switch to change between different heating elements for not too much money, but I couldn't find any.

For devices with a switching AC-DC power supply (things like computers or USB chargers), it is easier (though still a bit more expensive) to make the appliance work over a wide input voltage range, but slow cookers aren't made that way because it is less efficient and more expensive. You could make that system yourself by getting a slow cooker designed to run off DC, something like this model for RVs and pairing it with a 10A 12V power supply that will accept 100-240V and has a 'cigarette lighter' connector. But now you are using an adapter for both voltages...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

m.hache posted:

Any recommendations for a Record player?

I'd like to start collecting some favorite bands but we only have an all-in-one Record player unit. I'd love for something modern enough that I could pipe optical cables through it or not have to worry about old interfaces/hard to obtain parts.

Not sure what sort of price range to expect honestly.

I'm thinking this is a good start:
http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica...s=record+player

Check out this thread.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

dead lettuce posted:

What are the best computer speakers for $30 or less?

We have a few of these at work and they are surprisingly good for the price. I'm not sure if there is something better in the < $30 category, though - when I bought these I was looking for 'best super-budget computer speakers' and $30 was out of our price range.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You could get an HDMI streaming device and some sort of HDMI->component converter. Looks like they are $20-30 on amazon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

I heard they were a crap shoot since they removed HDCP so some stuff might not work.

You will need to get a converter that supports HDCP. I assumed most with decent ratings would support it, but if you add 'HDCP' to the amazon search some come up that explicitly say they support HDCP.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Etrips posted:

Might be able to get a better answer over in the GWS sub.

This thread, specifically. If I remember right, the Ninja is the budget super-blender recommendation.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

My eastern European heritage means that I've had to deal with a poo poo load of facial hair since sixth grade. I'm too lazy for close shaves, so I typically just trim it. My old trimmer (Braun 8985) is leaving the hair a bit long, and it's not very uniform, so I'd appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks.

I like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Andis-T-Outliner-Trimmer-T-Blade-04710/dp/B000143C0K

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

PleasusChrist posted:

I need a new computer chair. Mine's old and hurts my back. I work from home and also game, so I spend a good bit of time in it.

Is there such a thing as a good chair that doesn't cost $1000?

I got a couple 'Eurotech' brand chairs from a local office furniture place. They have been very durable and are quite comfortable. Better than any chair I've been provided at other companies. I think they were about $350 each.

I haven't used an Aeron to compare to, but this chair is great and I would be happy to have one at home, too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

I literally cannot think of any info or data that I would worry to that degree about. Im I just boring or not paranoid enough?

How do you sleep at night knowing your cat memes could be stolen at any moment?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

colas posted:

good, I'll check it out.

also, I'm looking for a cheap way to hook up an external sata hdd just to quickly grab stuff off of it

I guess something like this would be OK, think it would suck?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA...drive+connector

Should be OK, I've had fine luck with startech accessories. Looks like it doesn't have external power, which might be a problem with a power hungry drive (probably not though).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Isn't stuffing a bunch of electronics into your pillow going to make it lumpy and uncomfortable?

e: and that's ok

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It's probably this one and the why is because it is 144Hz.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Get one that is 1500W or close to it, or it will seem low powered. Panasonics can actually adjust power output for lower power levels, instead of turning on and off repeatedly.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

colas posted:

I lost the power brick for my external HDD enclosure, is it safe to use one of these as a replacement? For $10 more I can get another enclosure or I can just pop the drive in my tower.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PXUHYA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3NRS42V3WU6A8&coliid=I3IFTI8QX4HGKV&psc=1

Probably. You didn't tell us what HDD enclosure you have, so it's hard to be certain.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Unifi stuff is really great. They do make some extenders, but an extender of any brand will really hurt your network throughput.

If you get multiple Unified APs, they will act as one network seamlessly. Power over Ethernet, so you only have to run one cable. It's worth running the cable if you care about things like streaming to Chromecast, Steam in home streaming, or anything that really taxes the network.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Are you sure that is what they are called?

Airism

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-airism-v-neck-t-shirt-short-sleeve-162848.html#02~/men/airism/innerwear-tops/t-shirts/~
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-airism-mesh-v-neck-t-shirt-short-sleeve-162850.html#02~/men/airism/mesh/tops/~

I don't know what the difference is.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, crewneck undershirt showing under a OCBD is horrible. If you are wearing a suit and tie, you wouldn't have any shirt buttons undone, it wouldn't matter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Let your chest hair run free.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

colas posted:

I want bachelor cookware, like a pot that has a removable bowl and you only wash that bowl, plate/pan etc. I wonder if something like that exists. I guess it could be as simple as removable handles. Lazyware.

Just do all 'boil in bag' backpacking style cooking.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

ZoeDomingo posted:

I'm looking for a clear or unobtrusive belt to wear with my jeans. I am between jeans sizes, which means I either buy the ones that are too loose, or I can't button them. I don't really like belts because the buckles are so obvious under my shirts (I tend to wear shirts that aren't supposed to be tucked in). I have this thing called the "Hip Hugger" that sort of works, but it's flimsy and the clips seem to tear at my belt loops.

Any suggestions? I've seen some clear plastic belts on Amazon (one called "Isabelt" and the other called "Invisibelt"), but the reviews vary wildly.

Seems strange for the pants size to jump so much, usually I can still button even a couple sizes too small. Are you getting inch sizes or SML? Maybe switch to a different brand.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

colas posted:

Does it have a removable bowl? I think some rice cookers do. I wish I could get a rice that had it all nutrition-wise. Soylent rice.

Just toss in veggies, some chicken pieces, a bit of a seasoning mix that you like, replace the water with chicken stock and bam, silent rice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I'm sorry but the mental image of a goon eating out of a dog bowl because (s)he is too lazy to clean a pot and a bowl is both sad and funny

It's great that the opening is so large, I threw out all my forks and spoons and it is still really easy to use!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

But where will I piss without a floor?

The whole world's a floor.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I just squash each one between a pair of chopsticks. It is very cathartic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMjGfn3iXhs

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Anjow posted:

To UK based folk, can anyone recommend a men's deodorant (not anti-perspirant) that isn't aerosol based? Admittedly I have only been looking in supermarkets, but every single thing I've found that isn't an aerosol is an anti-perspirant.

Silver shield is really good, I hope they ship to the UK.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

THF13 posted:

Can someone recommend a specific type of daily disposable contact lens, or just a good place to buy contacts online? I have my prescription and just have ordinary nearsightedness.

I've been using Focus Dailies for Astigmatism and they have been great. I bought them from lens.com. My optometrist says they are being replaced and will no longer be available online. I hope not, the new ones are twice as expensive.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

life is a joke posted:

I'm gonna guess that Jansport did one of those "move factory overseas, reduce quality, raise price" things like Converse did with Chuck Taylors.
The quality has dropped a lot. In the mid-late 80s, JanSport was a premier outdoor backpack manufacturer. Now they are discount store school bags.

Wikipedia says they were bought out and moved production overseas.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

ArmZ posted:

pendleton

Aww no longer available
http://www.pendleton-usa.com/product/LEATHER-BLUETOOTH-SPEAKER/172956/fs/true.uts

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Travic posted:

So I've started cooking a fair amount of rice for myself and I've grown out of doing it by hand. I'd like to get a rice cooker and lots of people including the OP are recommending the Zojirushi. I don't think i'm ready to spend that much on a rice cooker just yet. Any other good recommendations?

I've had a Panasonic that has been going strong for years, no complaints.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Travic posted:

I'll admit I do want it really bad. What does it do that sets it so far above everything else?

That's a good benchmark.

The new fancy rice cookers have pressure cooking that makes it faster. That's about all that has improved in rice cookers in the last decade as far as I know.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm looking for a thermostat with a schedule and automatic switching between heat and cool. I don't want to have to flip the 'Heat-Off-Cool' switch manually. Ideally it would be less than $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Go to like a Tractor Supply and buy some cheap welding gloves.

Yes, that will work great. I wanted arm protection for dealing with molten metal, so I had the URL handy: You totally don't need gloves this long, but with these you can grab the fires of hell and not notice.