Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Does anyone have any recommendations on heated mats/ warming beds for pets? It got freakishly cold here in NJ, and I wanted to keep my dogs near their usual sleeping spot and away from the radiator that occasionally produces a bit of scalding hot water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

The Blue Pyramid posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this but I was looking for recommendations for a laptop. I don't know much about computer shopping as my knowledge for buying them caps at around the early 2000s. I don't need a fancy machine but a number pad and dedicated graphics card are somewhat important. Cheaper is better, I'm looking in the $600-800 range if that's possible.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

A lot of makes have the num pad, but what sort of programs would you be running on it that requires the graphics card?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Stepped on my console/PC headset in the dark and now one side is hanging by the wire.

It was Turtle Beach PX22, and I'm looking for something with better build quality and would work across PC, PS4, Xbox 360, and XBone. Does anyone have any recommendations?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Gotta decide if you want a wireless mic or not. Still no Bluetooth mic support

Wired is fine. And it's a soft budget ceiling of $100 -$150.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

obi_ant posted:

What's a good bicycle / skateboarding helmet? I want it to look like a dome? Not like a regular bicycle helmet with all the air holes in it.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/helmets/road/javelin-18

Serious answer:

http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/collections/star-wars-limited-edition/segment-darth-vader-star-wars-tm-limited-edition
(I was considering this as I got my son an R2D2 helmet.)

http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/helmets/bmx/full-flex

Really though, you would want to go into a sporting goods store to try them out for comfort. Sports Authority is closing down due to not being able to find a buyer, and may have some good clearance prices available.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I'm really tempted to bite the bullet and finally get a PS4. I'm thinking of going with a regular one because my tv is old.

Aside from Spiderman and RDR2, what else should I look at as far as exclusives?

God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn are what I have next on my list.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

The best roomba is the one you can afford.

And name. Our ancient 650 is named Blinkin.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Humerus posted:

I moved from Orlando, FL to St. Paul Minnesota (and then after one winter moved back to Orlando fwiw) and what I ended up doing was wearing long underwear basically 100% of the time during the winter with just jeans or slacks on over it. The thing I hadn't counted for was needing serious boots to just walk anywhere outside, like even on sidewalks. I had been wearing my Converse with thick socks and it was fine until I slipped on ice and bruised my rear end. I ended up getting some Under Armor boots from Marshall's or something similar but it wouldn't be unwise to get something nicer. They were pretty much all I wore after I bought them.

I do a poo poo ton of walking on slush and ice this time of year and I just pop these (well a heavier duty version) on whatever shoes I'm wearing: Yaktrax Walk Traction Cleats for Walking on Snow and Ice (1 Pair), X-Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S6LG06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Z4w.Db1A9TR4V

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Stay away from inkjet printers, no matter how great that deal is. Ink is more expensive than gold per ounce, and, should you not use it for a month, there go your printheads/ your inks have purged themselves empty.

Laser printers are the more cost effective. Toner doesn't get screwy unless you keep the printer like outdoors. If it's very light use, something like a Brother HL-L32XXCW series will do well for you. Compatibles/aftermarket toners should keep your costs down after you eventually run through the starter cartridges, which are ~1000. There are MFC variants that are available if you want scanning and copying as well.

If you're willing to spend more, HP and Canon are the next step up. Better builds on the machines, last I checked HP just a hair cheaper. Just a note: HP uses Canon engines/ toner cartridge designs in their machines so there's not a lot of difference.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Chip McFuck posted:

Anyone try a rug from Ruggable? My wife and I like some of the designs and the washability aspect as we have a cat that likes to throw up, but are wondering if they feel like standing on a yoga mat.

We got one, then another because we liked the first a lot. We also got it for the washability (kid + dog). It doesn't feel like a yoga pad/mat.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

halokiller posted:

I have the 180 and as a guy I use the feminine mode since for some reason the default mode can't reach my rear end adequately.

I'll probably upgrade to one with a built-in seat with better nozzle adjustments. Wish I can get the fancy one with the heated seat/water and a jingle but that will require me tearing the bathroom apart for easy outlet access.

I haven't needed a cup of coffee in the morning since we installed one. Nothing wakes you up like that initial splash.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

m.hache posted:

Just be sure to spit it out and not swallow.

Oh.

Oh no.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

halokiller posted:

Any recs for sofa/loveseats (better than IKEA-tier) that could easily disassemble for those that frequently move? Only two I've seen: Floyd (not a fan of the design) and Campaign. I'm leaning towards the latter, but seeing if there are other makers to look for.

Home Reserve https://www.homereserve.com/category/sofas

We got the Monroe sofa back in 2007, went through 5 moves, 2 dogs, and a baby. It was still kicking when we gave it away in 2015. It looks like the model we got was replaced by the Griffin.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I've reached a point in my life where I'm okay accepting large donations of money

Get something else on your face.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

The best part is, if it says to replace either the drum or toner, but you're not seeing any image issues, are still happy with the print quality, or just don't care, you can easily reset either one.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Warbird posted:

Headed to the beach with the wife and baby next week. Any going recommendations on what all to bring? I haven’t been in a decade or so.

Got some folding chairs, a waterproof picnic blanket deal with stakes that ought to hopefully stay in place, and a kite or two. Still need to sort out a umbrella or other shade generator. Any suggestions?

E - Also some place that sells cheap Hawaiian shirts that I can wear with a tank top undershirt like a real piece is poo poo would be appreciated.

ONIVA - a Picnic Time Brand Manta Portable Pop-up Sun/Wind Shelter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YQQM7S/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_59FQSW3AP6W6RT8GFASR

We've been using something like this since our kid was 2. It just pops open, and you just have to stake it down/ sand bag it. It's small enough that I can bike with it.

The fold up is quick... once you get the hang of it. If you do get it, practice the fold up a few times before you go to the beach. We still forget at a step or two at the start of the season and it ends up being a bit of a chore to find the video to follow along.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Trabant posted:

We have a relatively small but concrete-heavy place and have good results with the TP-Link AX3000.

Seconding TP-Link, I've got a set of 3 X20s in that covers 4 floors and a mid size yard, and my spouse who is 90% WFH has no issues up in her office or the patio at the end of the yard.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Does anyone have a food safe/ heat resistant epoxy they've used and would recommend? A lid was a casualty of Thanksgiving Day meal prep.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Wendigee posted:

I think maybe I'm more in the market for an air fryer then a convection toaster oven... 400 is double what I was thinking of spending.

I have a toaster that works fine and my oven works fine too... They just don't crisp up random frozen stuff.

Is there a good easy to clean air fryer for less than 200? Single serve size is fine... I just need it to be easy to clean.

There's about 100+ versions and the online reviews are all bought it seems like.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6367862.p?skuId=6367862

We got this standalone after using the combination air fryer/slow cooker/pressure cooker. We still have that, but it's for quick things like bacon, or reheating fried chicken.

It's easier to clean than the big instant pot as well.

tribbledirigible has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Dec 16, 2022

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Brother All-in-One

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfcl2710dw

I have one, it works fantastic, can't speak for item "d," since I've only used the Brother toner. I've also not tracked the PPMs, so that's up in the air.

Seconding this one. I do see it used a lot in my clients offices, great for 2-3 person operations where the printing is about a ream (500 pgs) a week.

The one Capt Invictus linked is just the older version of the 2710, similar toner/drum yields, but the newer one is a bit faster to start print jobs..

The "d" (lol) just means it duplexes, or prints on both sides without you having to reload the paper in the tray.

The scan function is good enough for licenses to be clear for legal paperwork, if that's a concern.

Also, if you do end up with a Brother laser printer, be sure to look up how to reset the toner or drum on Youtube, they work on a counter and your toner/drum might still be printing fine and it'll stop the annoying messages.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

any recommendations for shoe brands for wide feet? i had hemp shoes i really liked but it bust near the pinky toe. looking for a mix of walking shoes and something nicer

Merrell fits me well. Avoid Hoka, you'll feel like you were getting your first foot binding experience.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Can anyone recommend a free-standing 2 monitor arm mount? I just got my own office, but the desk space I want to use is very far from a usable lip where you would normally secure a multi-arm mount.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

LowOnCyan posted:

Is it possible to drill some holes in the walls? I have just an Amazon Basics wall mount one and it's been very good to me. I got it because I saw that our office at the time had moved from Ergotron to Amazon Basics, and it was fine.

Otherwise I see that this might be what you're looking for?
https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Monitor-Free-Standing-Articulating-STAND-V102F/dp/B074GBSXTM

I think because it's free standing it can't have the really long arms that articulate.

Not really, the desk is right by a bank of windows. Also, our Facilities Mgr would tear me a new one since the walls were just repainted in July.

I might just see if I can switch things around to use the grommets. Thanks.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

What size/weight are the monitors, and are you willing/able to drill through the desk? Any truly freestanding mount is going to be huge or heavy to be able to support anything of a significant size.

They're 27" monitors, about 2lbs each without the stand. Drilling is not an option. I'm likely going to have to get a grommet mount, as I agree with everyone saying it's going to be too heavy for a freestanding mount without the stand being obscenely heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

The only difference I've seen between Tiger/Zojirushi and say a Target or Walmart brand is the ability to keep the top layer from drying out during the course of a day. If the rice you cook gets used up with a 12 hr period, go for the $15 Martin Yan branded one ( that suckered served us well for 14 years, and was still going strong when we gave it away.)

We now have a Zojirushi NS-TSC10 that my wife scored for slightly less than $100 during the holidays. With our kid either being ravenous for rice or wanting nothing to do with it, the amount we cook either lasts us less than 8hrs for 5 cups or there's 2 cups sitting in warming mode for 18 or so hours before we throw it out.