Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

1redflag posted:

Last thread there was a "best travel luggage" manufacturer recommendation (I think it was TravelPr or something similar). Can anyone refresh my memory?

travelpro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

naughty_penguin posted:

So I put up some blackout curtains in my bedroom this weekend, and I slept like a rock, but it was kinda hard to wake up in the morning. I know in previous incarnations of this thread someone has recommended an alarm clock that gradually lights up to simulate a sunrise, but I can't find it. Does anyone have a recommendation for something like http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hf3470-Wake-up-Light-White/dp/B003XN4RIC?

That is what I have and it works pretty well. Too bad my wife stole it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Anyone have any suggestions for some natural lighting? I work third shift and I usually try to stay up during that time on my days off in order to keep my schedule the same. However I have noticed that if I am at home with no lights on I get extremely tired very quickly (drat lack of sunlight! :argh:). So I am hoping to get some sort of lamp or natural sunlight type dealio to help me out when I am at home.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Christoff posted:

What's a good scanner/printer combo? I guess something that can print decent photos would
be cool too. Something that isn't a complete scam with ink cartridges

Printer Megathread!

Any suggestions on a decent tablet for web browsing / pdf reading / movie watching?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for a good Sous Vide?

I got the Anova One awhile back when there was that $100 discount floating around. Not sure what the top contender is now but I would ask in the sous vide megathread

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Cornuto posted:

I work in an office and keep getting forwarded articles about how sitting is going to make me die real fast no matter how much I go to the gym. Can anyone recommend a program that'll pop up a reminder every 30-45 minutes to stop working, get up, and walk around for a bit?

An alarm? If you want something a little more techy, the Vivofit has a little bar tracker thing to alert you when you have been inactive for too long.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yo, hit me with your favorite kitchen items goons. Specifically things that make life easier

I have some decent ceramic knives, nice set of silverware, cutting boards, couple lovely pots and pans, nice bowls, and a nice blender plus some barebones poo poo like plates and a couple pots. Trying to cook more and eat healthy etc. Love making salads. Should probably invest in a good skillet.

Sous vide machine.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I should have prefaced by saying I'm looking for easy to make, cheap, edible stuff. Of course I enjoy taste but I'm lazy/impatient and not trying to be the next best chef here. Also need lunches to go often.

Now that's fancy

Sounds fancy, but it is stupid easy and perfect for the lazy cook (me). This is the Anova kickstarter to show you how it works video. And the Sous Vide Megathread. Everyone who cooks should own one of these things.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

m.hache posted:

Recommendation for a Bathroom Scale? The fiance and I are starting to eat healthy and want to track our losses.

I have this analog one from some big box store and I'm pretty sure it's off by ~5lbs. I'd like something digital and if possible the ability measure BMI (is that a thing?)

http://smile.amazon.com/EatSmart-Pr...ds=weight+scale

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

davidspackage posted:

So, my cat chewed through the cable on my favorite headphones, and I thought I'd get wireless headphones while I'm at it (I use them for watching movies almost exclusively). Picked up a comfortable pair today, but they have a lovely as gently caress feature where the receiver stops sending sound to the phones when it drops below a set level. So any calm moment in a movie has it constantly cutting off.

Is this a common feature with wireless headphones or can someone recommend me a pair?

That is not normal. Maybe your wifi channels are overcrowded? I know when my wife is using her wireless headphones on her computer and my router switches to channel 11, her headphones will cut out. In case you don't find an answer here, Headphone Megathread

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Going to a queen from a full (Casper mattress) recommend me some nice sheets ya'll

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets-new/

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Defenestration posted:

Can anyone recommend a universal remote? TV is a Sony Bravia if that matters. I plan to hook it up to an old thinkpad for a home media system at some point.

Think the golden standard are the logitech harmony ones. Not exactly sure on the model number though. I'm pretty sure we just had this recommendations the last few pages back though.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SaltLick posted:

I already have a 3L water bladder that I need a camelbak-esque pack for. Do they sell just packs anywhere or am I doomed to get a camelbak with a bladder already inside? This is used for mountain biking so something that would go well with that.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...der%2Caps%2C276

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inzombiac posted:

How about kitchen knife sets I can buy online?
I've never purchased one of those that come with a block and sharpener so I don't know what's quality and what's overpriced pressed aluminum.

Knife sets are pretty junky. Best bet to buy individual knives that you need.

quote:

Continuing with the Knife Guide. Remember to always cut only on plastic or wood as ceramic, glass, rock and metal will ruin your knife. Once you buy it you need to keep it sharp. Dull knives force you to use much more effort which leads to knife injuries. Then head on over to The Kitchen Knife Thread. If your looking for more specific recommendations then head on over to the GWS Product Recommendation Thread

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Need a recommendation on some sort of lamp / bulb something to use at my computer desk to simulate daylight. I work third shift and normally try to stay up on my off days during my third shift hours to keep a consistent sleeping pattern. However, the problem I am having is that if I have an exhausting day at work and end up sleeping in an extra hour or two, by the time I wake up the sun has already set and my body goes to crap and wants to just go back to sleep.

tl;dr - need something to simulate day light for my computer desk.

Also would love a computer desk recommendation.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SaltLick posted:

I think you're looking for full spectrum lighting or something along those lines.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunlight-Natural-Spectrum-Simulates-Daylight/dp/B003DRBOJ8

Thanks going to try this out.

bamhand posted:

If you haven't already, you can get the program flux that automatically adjusts your monitor to match sunlight i.e. bluer light during the day and warmer orange tones during the evening. You can adjust the time offset so it's "day" during the night. Won't replace your need for a light at your desk but it might help a little.

Yeah I've already been using flux for years. I know how to get a good nights (day) sleep. But right now it's the staying up part that is hard.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sneeing Emu posted:

Office chair talk! I'm currently using an old leather executive chair at work that I want to replace. It's fairly comfortable but it gets way too hot after 8 hours of work. I'm looking for a high backed mesh back AND seat chair. A headrest would be nice but it's a deal-breaker. The ones google has lead me to are way too expensive, I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

$200 isn't going to get you much in terms of office chairs. But for a mesh in that price range I would look at the ikea Markus.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Need recommendations on reusable water jug/containers to fill up with sweet sweet reversed osmosis filtered water at my grocery store. I suppose I am looking for 5 gallon containers, but will also consider 2-3 gallon ones.

p.s. - screw imperial units.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jewce posted:

Not exactly a product, but I remember seeing somewhere on SA about a great place to buy prescription frames on the cheap. Someone was mentioning some measurement you needed to ask your eye doctor about and stuff. Any ideas?

zennioptical, optical4less

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Any recommendations for a good wireless keyboard with trackpad for my Samsung H6350 smart TV? Looking for something simple but don't mind paying for quality.

One of the logitech keyboards come to mind. You have the more expensive K830 or the cheapo K400.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

ZeusCannon posted:

I know there are a bunch of shaving threads or something on here but I'll be damned if I can find them, anyone know a good brand for beard oil? Mines been unruly this winter so I figure I can give it a try.

Don't know if there is a beard specific thread or not, but here is the Wet Shaving Megathread over in YLLS.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Lots of stuff. Herman Miller Embody or Aeron, Steelcase Leap or Gesture.

We have a thread dedicated to office chairs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

kinmik posted:

I'm looking for a large drinking container, preferably one with a handle, dishwasher safe, and an easily securable cap. I emphasize "large" because my husband goes through insane amounts of water a day. The one he's currently using is about 2 liters, but the opening is tiny and mildew tends to grow inside easily. Please to help?

Are there any other requirements? I work 12 hour shifts and I use a 2L Hydroflask which keeps my water very cold throughout my shift and I absolutely love it since I am very picky about the water I drink. The only requirement it doesn't have is a handle. Have to use two hands to drink it which gets me some weird looks sometimes.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Drogadon posted:

Doesn't have a handle but I use one of these and it's great, really easy to wash because it unscrews at the middle.

http://www.coolgearinc.com/entertaining/large-swing-top-bottle.html

Only 36oz.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Pron on VHS posted:

Any opinions or recommendations on the range of memory foam mattresses available from Amazon? Don't want to pay for the Tempurpedic brand and I've heard the ones on Amazon are great.

Mattresses are highly subjective. I would do your research before dropping coin on one.

http://sleeplikethedead.com/

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Need recommendations for a vacuum. I have a shedding dog, and medium thickness carpet and hardwood. I prefer something with good cord management, but not a must-have.

Highest rated on consumer reports, blah blah blah.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HFDLCK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EI5SSLNIL8LQ&coliid=I8VDXQC1RD9T7

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

colas posted:

Does anyone take supplements for mood? I take L-Theanine and it works pretty well and I want to try others.

Maybe look into nootropics?

calandryll posted:

I need suggestions for a body groomer and nose hair trimmer. Never had much body hair but as I reach near 40, it's getting thicker and annoying.

I know Norelco has a body groomer.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tim Whatley posted:

I live in New England where we're punished by a God who dumps snow and ice on us for like 10 months a year. I just bought a new car, so I want some heavy duty floor mats. I've heard a lot of suggestions on the forums years ago. Any good recommendations?

http://www.weathertech.com/

e;fb

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

THF13 posted:

I'm looking for a pair of wireless headphones that can do an OK job of blocking out the noise from a treadmill. I'll be using them in my basement so I don't care how goofy they look, but I want to avoid in-ear headphones.

If you aren't getting in ear headphones then whatever material of the headphones going over your ears are going to get incredibly nasty. Unless of course, you don't sweat at all.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Pron on VHS posted:

Recommend me the best bed sheets.

Breathability/coolness is big, I sleep really hot (would like to feel cold when sleeping instead), and also if they are on Amazon that would be even better.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets/

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
or optical4less.com

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

JPrime posted:

How are you ok w/ buying glasses w/o trying the frames on? I've got a big noggin so I have a hard time buying frames, couldn't imagine buying without being able to try them on. :/

Well all those sites have measurements on all their frames. And it isn't exactly hard to measure your head.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Another recommendation for a Saris Bones. Look on craigslist for something used.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on a vacuum for stair steps?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SaltLick posted:

Similar to what I posted earlier but the Shark Navigator Lift Away would probably work well enough

Holy moly what is this sorcery! I think this will do the trick. Thank you.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

DeesGrandpa posted:

Hey I need a decent cheap desk, best if it's on Amazon prime or something.

Go to ikea, get a board and 4 legs.

OR

Go to Home Depot, get a board, and find some milk crates.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

I actually got the dressing table from ikea and I use it as a barebones desk without the drawer. I recommend it for people who want a desk/computer in a smaller space, as it's deep enough for a monitor/keyboard but not enough to have wasted space behind.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10203610/

Uhh.. How close is your monitor? :stare:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

Pretty much normal distance?

That looks crazy close. But I guess that works if on a super tight budget.

Also I'm guessing that is an extension on Chrome to make SA look like that?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

colas posted:

What's a good camera to attach to a small dog? It's a terrier like toto from Wizard of Oz. There are actually two dogs and they thrown down like MMA and it's hilarious. I think it would be cool to get some good footage from dog perspective.

GoPro? They even make little harnesses for pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bhodi posted:

Go pros don't really work that well on pets, they are too big unless you get a harness specifically for it, and then it has a problem of wobbling back and forth. Same for attaching it to the collar.

Obvious answer is a helmet then.