Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What should a messenger bag cost?

I have an old old Timbuk2 bag that saw maybe 10 years of daily use and it is still kicking, sitting in a drawer, waiting for me to break it out again. Buying it was maybe the only smart thing I did when I was twenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

A $50 JanSport backpack will last 10 years of daily use.

I will very specifically disagree with that, as I had one as my second bag when I was traveling 40 weekends a year, that loving thing barely lasted a year and a half.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Not so much a product per se, but what's the best site to get some deals on running shoes? Some on clearance for an actual good price? I can't justify $60+ for shoes anymore.

Campsaver.com and SteepandCheap are both decent, but $60 is usually a great sale price for good running shoes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Then yea, try those to places. Theclymb.com is annoying to use, but has good deals sometimes.

I do have camping gear buying issues, why do you ask?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Any reason you wouldn't get a safety razor and have a new blade every shave for a year for 20 bucks?

Because it's 2016 and that poo poo is retarded?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Like that's the beauty of the 30 bladed razor cartridges, grain doesn't matter, drag blades across face, face is shaved. They also last for like a month each if you take a second to blast them with a hairdryer after use.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I cannot fathom this hang up on price, of all the general cost-of-living expenses, is five or six dollar razor cartridge every month/week really the most efficient place to save money? Hell, if you are that price sensitive there are really cheap cartridge plays out there, I just like the one with the little blade on top for getting right above my mustache, that guy kicks rear end.

Like, why not then go whole hog just get a straight razor and strope? That way, you don't drop it, you can use the same razor for the rest of your life.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

I'm looking for a windshield mount for my cell phone. The swivel in the one that came with has worn out and won't stay in place anymore.

Me too, but I need a wide rear end one to hold an iphone 6 in a Lifeproof battery pack. I have a great one but it doesn't open up wide enough.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

AnimalChin posted:

This isn't a windshield mount, but it's excellent:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE...netic+car+mount

This seems too incredible to work somehow.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/Spigen%25C2%...netic+car+mount

So I Bought this thing and it is indeed amazing. My only issue is that apparently my side vent is way more important than I though it was in terms of keeping me cool.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My dumb car has no good options for mounting:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

But automatic LSD?

Sadly I lack that feature, it is a base model car.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Digital Jedi posted:

Any recommendations on good computer speakers? I'm no audiophile so they don't have to be the best.

Take a look at these.

I have had the Soundsticks I for like 15 years and a set of the IIs as my kitchen stereo for like 6 years. Very nice sound, more bass then you would ever want, and looks all sci fi and poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Mine have a blue led in the sub, but that is the one thing that died on my original one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a couple Ex Officio boxer briefs and I don't really like them. My main complaint is that they aren't compression. They kinda hang like normal boxers.

I sized down and it fixed that issue for me. I have like 8-12 pairs that I have been wearing for like 4-5 years and the elastic is still strong and other then some pilling they are in great shape. I have a single pair of Airsims but they are too loose and light. The Airsim tshirts are the best thing ever though.

I have a silly number of Smartwool socks I got on crazy sale like two christmases ago and am happy with them, but for full msrp I think Darn Tough are better.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I need a recommendation for a DVD case case. Not a case, or a binder, but like a protective travel case for like 100-200 in slim cases. Preferably a high ratio of quality:price.

How sturdy, like does it need to survive being checked as luggage, or just tossed in your car?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Car. It should probably lock, too. This will be used as a repository of games at a convention in our office.

Look at like a double deep pistol case then. You will have to cut the foam a bit to get everything in and secure but they run like $20-50 and while not as sturdy as a pelican case, are good for lite/medium duty stuff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Are cheap Chinese cosmetics really a good idea, or are they like all made over there?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I haven't had any problems. I assume some of them probably contain beetle dong and rat semen, but what the hell, I also use the testers at Sephora which are probably 10 times worse.

Side effects may include: Rash, itching, urge to collect pelts and skins.

I used to do theatre and recall something about tainted stage-makeup going around on FB years and years ago, but I can't find anything about it now. It was some discount version of some popular foundation iirc. I also guess that most folks don't use stage-levels of makeup around town.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
A coworker of mine had one of those battery-powered heating coats it was more or less garbage that weighed like 15 pounds and really didn't produce a reasonable amount of heat.

Hunt around online and buy Arcteryx Atom LT jacket or hoodie. They are absurd absurdly warm for their weight and bulk, and are slim fitting enough that you can layer another jacket over them if you need to. Wearing one feels like being snuggled up in a sleeping bag in the best way possible and they can pack down to like the size of a large grapefruit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I thought so too until I got one of their jackets, it's worth every penny.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hah, I thought that was a marketing gimmic, didn't realize they were ever actually issued. Bet you could sell it for decent cash to an airsoft nerd or something.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ArmZ posted:

bag balm is the original climbers balm

http://www.bagbalm.com/

I though it was this stuff?

https://www.originaludderbalm.com/

Chas McGill posted:

I'm looking for a light softshell jacket with a simple design and no obvious logo - preferably hoodless or with a hood that can hide in the collar. I tend to layer with a jumper in Autumn so it doesn't have to be super warm. Let's say the budget is around $120.

I can't specifically help, but start checking outdoorsy deal sites like steepncheap, the clymb, places like that. I have been able to find high end gear for like half MSRP pretty often at these places. If you can bump your budget closer to $200 your choices will open up a ton. It seems like the more high end you go the less prominent the labels are. I have an awesome hoodie from black diamond that only has a small black on black logo on the hem, maybe look at their stuff?

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Nov 11, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I need to store all these tools:

Plus some cables and maybe a few more tools. I need to store them COMPACTLY so I can carry them to work sites in my messenger bag. Some kind of roll maybe?

Stagehand?

Also the CLC tool rolls are good quality and several small ones are more convenient then one huge one. Also the company "Setwear" makes good entertainment industry specific tool pouches.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I fix touchscreen television arrays and this is what the company gave me. I dunno how much I actually need of this, or what's missing. This is also the first time I've ever heard of a balldriver. Never thought I'd google that term.

Thanks for the rec!

Ah, I saw the gaff tape and just assumed.

If you want to add some stuff, a small gunsmithing screwdriver set is nice to have if you want to increase your "I can turn any fastener I come across" chops. The nicer ones have hollow ground straight blades and the philips ones tend to be far far more precisely made then even most nice mechanic/construction ones.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

What does this mean?

They are designed to have the driver slip out of the screw rather than keep turning until it breaks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Does your girlfriend have too much poo poo in the shower?

Behold!

I see no world in which that thing is not overloaded to the point of shower rod failure within the first week. No one who desperately needs more storage space in their shower it's going to be able to resist just jamming every one of those pockets full of poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

It's the world where you have tons of little things, like pumice stones and other mysterious girl crap.

That is some good as gently caress onion, they are so much better when they take a light touch.

But that just proves my point, that shower rod is doomed to fail.

Edit: We had to add a storage pole thing to our shower as there was no room at all around the edge or on the built in rack. My products are a bottle of Dr Bronners and a burlap pouch full of soap slivers I use during tick season. And yet somehow my shower-whiskey was "a dumb waste of space".

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Dec 9, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Would anyone be kind enough to recommend me some socks for winter? I tried looking up wool/wool blends but didn't really trust what I was seeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I like Smartwool and you can find them on sale with some looking most all of the time. I have like 20 pairs of the light hikers that I have been wearing for the last three years or so and they are all still in perfect condition.

I also have three pairs of Darn Toughs that I use strictly for hiking and they are really getting all.....idk the right term but like whispie little yarns are coming out at the heels after only maybe a dozen wearings each. They are comfortable as heck and if this is the extent of the wear then it's fine but it was a little disappointing to see.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Only people who are really insecure about the tasteful thickness of their business cards worry about what people think of their socks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Go to like a Tractor Supply and buy some cheap welding gloves.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Fishing guys really like Costas and Smith Optics. I have a pair of each and while I do baby them as much as I can, they both have so far survived a season of use without a scratch, where the season before I ran through 3-4 pairs of cheaper ones.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I suspect that we as humans bred dogs to be dumb as poo poo so we could feel better about our own idiocy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I need a suggestion for a bag that is like... angular I guess. This is mostly a style issue.

I currently use this as my messenger:

This is what I own for a murse:

I find the murse to be fine functionally, but I fuckin hate the aesthetic. I want a cross-body bag that has a GOOD strap, an integral laptop sleeve that can carry a slim 12-13" laptop, a main compartment, and a front compartment. Preferably made of something tough and light. Murse/ "EDC" sized.

Have you checked the usual suspects, Timbuktu, Chrome, Mission Workshop?

Also, if you do up getting rid of that Merce, I might interested in buying it. What model is it?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, I checked Timbuktu, Chrome, and MW in the past 20 minutes actually, hehe. The lower bag is a Tom Bihn Ristretto. It's an older model of it, but mostly the same. I can send you a pic and I would absolutely love to sell it. It has an integrated laptop sleeve, and I have one in iPad size and also Macbook Air size. Send me a PM for more deets

Chrome used to sell a bag I really liked for this, the Vega, but they don't make it anymore. That was the last of the good shoulder bags from Chrome that didn't have that stupid loving buckle.

Cool, I will hit you up tonight. My dad just got a XPS 13 and is looking for a bag for it and I think the larger one might fit it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

I dunno if it's the style you need/want but Duluth Trading Co has some pretty good pants, albeit kinda baggy

Yea, they are baggy as hell but once you try gusseted pants you can never go back.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I have the Cuisinart 2-quart ICE-30BC, and it's very very good and has been reliable so far. However, there's now a much more expensive version that cools itself instead of requiring you to cool the bowl ahead of time. If you have shittons of money, the latter would be handy, if not then go for the former.

My father has the Kitchenaid ice cream attachment for his mixer which also works great but doesn't produce quite as much (volume).

The self cooling ones also make amazing frozen drinks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

The Cuisinart one with the freezer bowl comes with a list of recipes for frozen drinks (haven't tried them yet though), though I don't think the Kitchenaid one did. That said, I think one that can keep a temperature consistent is good for if you are hosting a party, for example, and people want to top off as they go without the drinks getting too runny.

In my limited experience the self freezing ones don't really make drinks fast enough to serve more than two or three people, and even then you're going to have to alternate with beers or something or you wait for each new round of daiquiris. I mainly prefer them over the freezer bowl models because then I can start making drinks with much less notice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

How do you guys keep your home smelling nice?

Switched to a more expensive brand of weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

Thanks for all the jokes guys. Now how do I relieve the pain in my sides?

Switch to a more expensive brand of weed.

uwaeve posted:

What're the couple of goon-approved underwear brands? Need good boxer briefs, feel like it's come up in this thread but can't find it immediately.

About 4-5 years ago I bought a dozen pairs of Ex-officio boxer briefs that are still going strong, no real wear and the elastic is still good and tight.

Airsims: I love their undershirts, the only ones I will wear anymore. But the undies and always felt like they were digging in to the sides of my crotch? The waist and thigh area felt fine so I didn't want to size up.