Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I fell asleep in the opening sequence and pressed rush mode and got a game over on normal within like 10 minutes

I... I'm good at EO and Persona I swear...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Liking this a lot. I'm still very early on (just got sub personas) but I'm not using a "healer" at all because Yukiko is boring as hell and Naoto looks like she can do it with a sub persona just as hell.

There's probably a lot of overlap between Yu, Chie and Kanji but it's just not a party without chie and kanji

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

yeah i've gotten to the fourth labyrinth without using yukiko or yukari so you should be fine. and naoto tears poo poo up with her instant death spells.

I was pretty dissapointed when it said Teddie has some healing except he doesn't start with it and his level 8 ability doesn't heal either so basically "Teddie will have healing after it's too late"

Naoto was so bad in vanilla P4 they overcompensated and made her by far the best member in P4 Golden. She gets mind charge, top level nuke of every element, and light and dark, and strong AOE physical attacks, and Blocks 2 elements and resists a third. Glad to see they keep the trend up in PQ

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

The two groups meet up at the end of the first dungeon, and things are basically the same for both MCs at that point. The only differences are the intro/first dungeon and which one you're forced to keep in your party. Also, the MC you don't pick has dialogue like any other character, but the one you do pick is a silent protag with dialogue choices.
I wonder if even the endings are the same. It doesn't seem like that much is different to warrant another playthrough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

If you really want to wreck poo poo, Myriad Arrows is the closest thing I've found to a Hassou Tobi equivalent. 6-8 random hits is as great as you'd expect for bosses, especially if you can get off an agility bind. :v:

e: I found out that panicked enemies can't actually dodge, and after a Dragon Cry, Myriad Arrows from Kanji finished off the Burning Beetle equivalent in the fourth labyrinth in one turn. :stare:

Haha it's like the EO4 version of snipers doing Leg Bind > Squall Volley. I like how they translated a lot of SMT stuff into EO land, changing some status effects into Binds from EO and such. Also people have mentioned it but Rei+Zan are literally EO characters in a party full of Persona characters and it's really cool.

And Tentarafoo isn't actually worthless this time, I've been using Panic on tough battles like the Burning Beetle and it helps out. Also makes gold hands easier to kill if it lands.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Iceclaw posted:

Tentarafoo was actually pretty good in P4: Lot of things like the Magus or Hulk Hogan types were resistant to everything, but crippingly weak to ailments.

Yeah actually a lot of stuff with "no" weakness usually needed a status on it which they didn't tell you. I remember there was a strong mage enemy that was weak to silence too.

But it doesn't change the fact that everyone thought Mitsuru would be this cool french speaking ice queen and she spammed it on enemies that would die in one hit anyway

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

Is it just me, or is Naoto cripplingly mediocre in Persona Q?

I can't seem to make her work in my rotations effectively.

I have the opposite impression, having Light and Dark skills in an EO game seems completely broken, especially if you give her a sub persona with a really large SP pool. She can cast Hama for free multiple times a fight, and so many things seem to be weak to it. Against enemies that are immune to that stuff I have her be the healer.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Im still on the first floor of the 2nd labyrinth, currently using P3MC, Kanji, Mitsuru, Yukiko and Yukari.

I read Yukari has bad stat growth compared to others, should I get in one more physical attacker instead?

If you want a back row physical attacker Rei&Zan seems to be pretty good at that, I dunno if the no persona thing eventually holds them back.

Honestly it's actually a huge relief having 1 person who can't equip a persona because keeping 5 of those fused and relevant is tough

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think I miiiight kick it up to hard. I shouldn't have a party finishing a floor at max HP and SP in an EO game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fenris13 posted:

For 2 dollars each, they really seem like some shameless cash grabs.

Honestly I prefer them locking super powerful stuff behind a paywall rather than actual content. SMT4 locked pretty much all the post-game stuff behind DLC, and even made it impossible to beat the last DLC without buying some of the prior ones. From what I've seen in PQ there's none of that, and the postgame is not difficult at all for SMT standards so you don't really need the DLC.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh god I lost to the first labyrinth boss. I feel bad. Is level 8 too low?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Alright I'll go fill in the map to get those chests and level up in the process.

I actually tried to kill a FOE and got it really low with poison but in 8 casts or so it only stuck once, and eventually you just run out of SP.

At level 8 the labyrinth boss can kill you in 1 hit :/ her 2nd level elemental skills can take someone out even with Tarunda applied. Rei&Zan are good in that fight for having an elemental AOE so early at least, but I think I'm gonna replace them when I get the rest of the party.

It looks like at 9 and 10 you can fuse some much better subs so I might try that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Can you get someone else to do Hama/Mudo as well as Naoto does? I like what she does gameplay wise but she's so boring as a character. I also wanna make space for some of the P3 cast, and I don't want to get rid of Kanji and Chie.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I guess I'll keep her. Thing is Naoto also has really high Magic stats and good Agility, so if you give her a sub persona with elemental damage she's good at that too. And her Luck is very high, which means she's good at status effects. With the proper subs she's good at everything besides attacking.

I'm thinking of replacing Rei+Zen though in the back row, because I'd feel bad without at least one P3 character. But then it looks like the P3MC is the best P3 character for the back row and using both MCs feels weird.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HGH posted:

Marie's coming out for sale on the 16th.
But screw that, so is Nanako.

Wait

As what

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HGH posted:

I should have specified as Navigators, sorry. You won't to get to have Nanako cast Hamaon and wipe out encounters unfortunately.

Secretly I was hoping Nanako would be a Persona actually

I saw that there are the Velvet Room crew as navigators too, do they actually change your Navi abilities? Since Rise and Fuuka have different ones, not sure if they just change the voice or what.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder what sort of lines they are giving Nanako. Is she going to be able to sense resistances? Is she just going to just be cool with all these monsters and the P3 team and Persona summoning? Will her victory cry be the Junes jingle?

That one's weak to fire big bro!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How do I actually get skill cards out of persona.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

You unlock the ability sometime during the 3rd labyrinth, IIRC.

Wow that's farther in than I thought. Guess I have to keep incubus around for a while.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Are there conditional drops I should be paying attention to? I think I already have some equipment that needs conditionals to make but I didn't bother with them for some reason.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm using P3MC as a back line magic guy, since his magic is much higher than his strength for me. I found a sword for him that only does 1 damage but has almost 100% crit chance, worth keeping on him? I'm not using his attacks so I figure why not, and it seems more reliable than the actual panic spells. Plus panic is cool

Edit: Kaguya has a multihit skill that is almighty, but uses HP. Does it use MA or ST?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 15, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Argent Cinereus posted:

If you can land a guaranteed crit with that sword, that's free magic, so yeah. Keep that on him. Or are you talking about that guaranteed panic sword he gets? Either way, it's a good idea.

And that attack Kaguya has is strength based. And can only hit an enemy once. At least I've never had it multihit anyone. It's not unique to them, either, so you can get it on a persona with more of a HP boost to power it off of.

Oh god I meant 100% panic not critical. But still his attack sucks and he's in the back row so why not.

Do weapons effect physical skills? If they don't I'm not sure why I keep buying new ones since I never use the actual Attack command.

I have that attack on a different guy thanks to Kaguya fusion, good to know its a strength one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Len posted:

Jesus I wish I had that sword work that well. None of those gimmick weapons go off for me. And on the rare chance they do the enemies still punch me in the face anyway whether they're panicked or not.

I've been using it more and it feels like it's only 100% chance on the kind of thing that you were about to kill anyway. I think the way it works is it's 100% chance for you to cast panic when you attack, but the enemies still have their own resistances and immunities so I could be fighting a FOE where it never triggers at all. Teddie's Agility Bind activates a lot, I think nothing has resistances to that yet

Thuryl posted:

I believe Death Chaser, Death Counter and all-out attacks also use your weapon attack strength, although those are all pretty situational.
Oh right that could be a good reason to upgrade. If Chie does a link then Death Counter can she activate her own link?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ZeButler posted:

Yes, yes she can, because I've had Yosuke do it off of Death Chaser before, because it's considered another attack. However, link activations do not trigger Death Chaser, so there's that.

You just made me realize in EO4 terms Yosuke is built as a Dancer :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm about to finish Group Date Cafe but I've been answering stuff with the hope of getting Kanji

Also it seems like the party members stopped talking to each other :( Early on they had unique responses to one another and it was pretty cool, I think it's because I tossed the P3 MC into the middle of a P4 party.

Kanji and Naoto worry about each other but that's it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aw poo poo I think I already placed myself into the "can't get Kanji" bucket. Well maybe Koromaru is good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. It's not really the same. More enemies are vulnerable to more elements and there is no absorb or reflect and no punishment for hitting an enemy's strong points. There isn't a single reason not to cast Ma(x) on an entire group even if 2/3rds of it are strong. Persona 3/4 are not hard games even with those elements being added in but their absence stands out even more here. In addition Sub-persona mean that SP conservation is almost a nonissue, which furthers the OPness of stuff like Hama/Mudo.
If you cast a boosted Mahamaon and suddenly killed your entire party, even just once, it would probably make you reconsider using that for the rest of the game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm using P4MC and have P3MC as a party member. P4 seems a lot less useful. Chie and Kanji poo poo out physical damage, naoto has the instant death, healing and statuses, P3 has very strong magic, healing and support.

I've been using P4 just to hit weaknesses then do a party wide buff or something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did the wedding scene for teddie, ken, and Koro. Teddie is the best

"Be gentle senpai"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sodium Chloride posted:

Teddie is the only character who looks happy in the wedding pictures.

Koro looks happy. But he's carrying you.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How am I supposed to get pst the dolls in labyrinth 3? I've been killing them but they're not easy for me at the moment. I feel like I'm missing something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Argent Cinereus posted:

The ones that don't move disappear when the lights are on, so if you can get the lights on in the room with them you can get past.

Ahh ok, guess I went in too soon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Volt Catfish posted:

Help I'm at the Inaba Pride Exhibit and I have no loving clue what i can do to make the P4MC good, what's my best bet with him?

I made mine a linker/support guy.

P4/Chie/Kanji
P3/Naoto

P3 and Naoto are statuses, healing and magic attacks. Chie and Kanji are just hitting things very hard. P4 is in the front row and faster than Chie and Kanji so I just have him use elemental links, and otherwise he does random support stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

I suspect this is a stupid question, but should I use everyone or stick to one party?

Stick to one party unless you want to make the game harder

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I have 9 hours in Persona Q so far and I just want to say that this game is amazing and as a fan of Persona 3 and 4, I am in love.

I like it a lot but I'm currently in Maze 3 and it's sort of getting samey

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

I got through the first dungeon and started the second, adn I gotta say I don't really care too much for this game. Not that it's bad, but with p4 you had the school life and s-links and fishing and stuff to accompany the dungeon roaming so there was so much to do besides fighting, which was amazing and spiced things up. Here, you only get the dungeons and fansevicey stuff, not necessarily in sexual sense, but just having all the characters hanging out with each other and screaming out their personality gimmicks at the same time like "protein" and "steak". That's pretty boring and a bit too cutesy for my tastes, so there isn't that much interest for me to see the how the story unfolds nad just going through the dungeons is kind of an slog.

I'd probably enjoy an Etrian Odussey game more and even though P4 was amazing and one of my favorite games ever, I'd like to see something with new characters and new setting for Persona rather than going on and on with P4 (and 3)

I understand, I'm at the 4th dungeon and while I enjoyed my time with the game I don't think I would recommend it to anyone. EO4 is a better dungeon crawler, Persona is a better RPG. Even the fighting game has the crossover fan service aspect already covered.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Omglosser posted:

Never played P4 so I decided to watch the anime to supplement what I may have missed in the game. I gotta say, it's very bad.

Yeah this is like saying I never played Doom 2 so I asked someone to explain it to me through a series of tweets

Persona 4 is a really good JRPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I completely dropped the game at dungeon 4. Not specifically because of the dungeon but I think I had enough for now. I'm sure I'll be back to finish it, I have a habit of dropping games then coming back to finish them a year later. Thank god for digital downloads I guess

• Locked thread