Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Tirade posted:

Finally, a sports role model for kids that auspol can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

I'm looking forward to this one

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/peta-credlin-leaves-tilt-at-parliament-open-but-not-at-this-time-20141209-123eul.html

quote:

The Prime Minister's chief of staff appears to be keeping the option of a career in politics alive, saying she "has no intention of running for Parliament at this time".

This follows speculation within the Liberal Party that Peta Credlin will leave her role in Tony Abbott's office to take a seat in the Senate or House of Representatives ahead of the 2016 election.

Amid tensions between Mr Abbott's office and government MPs, it has been suggested that Ms Credlin could either take stood aside Assistant Treasurer Arthur Sinodinos' NSW Senate seat or Social Services Minister Kevin Andrews' safe Melbourne seat of Menzies in the event either retired - although neither have said they will retire.

Mr Andrews has said he intends to run again in 2016.

Despite being credited as the driving force behind Mr Abbott's successful bid for the prime ministership in 2013, Ms Credlin has come under continued criticism during the Coalition's time in government.

Some, such as Queensland senator Ian Macdonald, have publicly complained Ms Credlin is too controlling. Privately, ministers have also argued against the level of control Ms Credlin exercises over the government.

In response to questions from Fairfax Media about any plans Ms Credlin has to enter Parliament next year, a spokeswoman for Mr Abbott replied, "Peta Credlin has no intention of running for Parliament at this time - state or federal, House or Senate".

"No intention...at this time" is often used in politics to allow for wriggle room if needed in the future.

Ahead of the May budget, when a $7 GP co-payment was proposed, Mr Abbott and senior ministers including Peter Dutton and Julie Bishop repeatedly said the government had no plans for the co-payment.

Mr Abbott has dismissed suggestions there are any problems with the way his office is run, recently telling Parliament that Ms Credlin was "the fiercest political warrior I've ever worked with".

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

cpaf posted:

Joe Hockey, known fat bastard, apparently very familiar with Lindt cafe / eating chocolates

Did he just make a fat joke at his own expense?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Apparently a couple of hostages were released out the front door

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Execu-speak posted:

The host on the ABC morning show talking to his former lawyer about his bail is laughably stupid. The lawyer did a good job of smacking her down when she was implying he shouldn't have been bailed.

Seriously, she's complete poo poo. The American she was just talking to was even worse, saying the police should've stormed the cafe much earlier.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

Even the Brady Campaign admits guns are used to defend life or limb >100,000 times a year, so it's a net positive. Aussie women are raped 3x higher per capita than American women and your homes invaded 2x as often. Those rape vics should just be glad they get to be part of progress though. :dukedog:

Now you're just spewing poo poo out your arse. Australia has a slightly higher rate of reported rapes (~5% more) than the US, but the US has something like 13x more violent rapes per capita. I'm sure we don't have twice as many home invasions per capita either.

Edit: clearly a troll, drat it

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

DFAT has just been evacuated because of a bomb threat and suspicious package.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Palmer has has compared his arrest to Peter Greste's imprisonment in Egypt.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Well they've got to have something to think about while doing the ironing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Matthew Beet posted:

gently caress da poors

Word via work channels says that homelessness peak bodies have all had their funding cut (Homelessness Australia, National Shelter, Community Housing Federation Australia, and Financial Counselling Australia.) in addition to some direct service providers such as Highlands and National Shelter.

Merry Christmas!

• Locked thread