Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
We have our new Batman. Official announcement from the actor himself.

https://twitter.com/RealWilfordB/status/1135975579319250944

Oh, Gawd Domm Ett!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I find myself using "Youuuu keep it" from time to time.

Also, every time I say "god dammit" I immediately follow it by doing the Brimley or Nolte voice. Usually Brimely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I finally signed up for the Patreon because these dudes have given me more than enough value for my money and make my work day tolerable.

But is it me or is the way these shows, links and streams really all over the place and unorganized? I feel like every time I play a show or switch from my laptop to my phone, the interface is different, wonky and confusing. I think I've got it figured out on the laptop but on the phone it goes from Google drive, to WHM Prime and even though I bookmarked poo poo once I got it right it still seems like like it's loving with me. Could be because I am :corsair: and don't use a ton of phone apps but any help would be appreciated.

Like, on the WHM Prime site, it lists everything even if I just want episodes by category or a basic list and poo poo like that. Could also be I have an older (3 years or so) phone

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

extremely online posted:

I use Downcast for everything (you have to add the Patreon feed manually, iirc, but it's easy) and it's very needs-suiting. It has a keyword search function when you click "see all episodes," which can help for finding things like Mailbag episodes or WLM, and it pulls down everything that's not archived in that Google Drive you should have gotten a link to with your Patreon sub.

Thanks for the help for those who addressed my question and I apologize for being a dork about it. I'm sure it's a combination of me not being much of a phone junkie combined with how many different sites you can stream from.

What I was hoping to find (for my phone) is something like the main/master list from the WHM Prime website that works when I click "patrons only" but that seems to be where the maze starts. I blew through most of the master list but there were several movies I really wanted to hear get The Treatment..JAWS 4, Man of Steel, Superman 3 and 4, The Glass House...it's all well worth the money.

I just can't figure out how to get that really simple main list on my phone to where it will just unlock me on the "patrons only" ones and, for some reason, depending how I gently caress around with poo poo, the streaming interface I find myself in is different each time. The Patreon "feed" lists EVERYTHING they post and I can't seem to flip the feed from oldest to newest or filter it the way I want on my Android. If it helps, here's the list I find the easiest to deal with and the one I've binged the poo poo out of over the last year or so.

https://www.whmpodcast.com/whmprime

Works perfectly on my laptop/home set up but on my phone it's a maze. I was hoping the main site would recognize me as paid/signed in/a fan/all in from that list which is really easy to scroll on my phone. Or my laptop for that matter.

poo poo...sorry...I didn't mean to write a giant tech support post. Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues.

On topic.

I want to give my love to this show, the guys that created it and SA for turning me onto it. They are really loving funny and smart.

You have no idea how much more tolerable these episodes make my work day and how grateful I am to be able to laugh while I work a rather stressful job. My coworkers think I'm insane for constantly laughing while I do thankless work. Unlike a lot of "make fun of poo poo" stuff out there, these dudes are really good at what they do, don't step on each other, are not aggressive about making themselves the center of attention, have really good comedic timing and instincts and are great at call backs, references, imitations and thinking on the fly.

You can tell they love what they do and that their knowledge of cinema guides their comedy in smart directions.

TL/DR: These dudes are funny and I sometimes struggle with my phone stream

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Are you talking about the google drive with the old episodes or trying to stream from Patreon? I am not sure if anything exists to organize cleanly outside of an app, unless you want to manually download episodes and transfer them to your phone.

Yeah thanks. I'm starting to figure it out. I think it has to do with having episodes spread out (Google Drive, Art 19, etc.). Finally got it to where that master list is my default screen and it lets me go from there.

No if only some nice young man can set this flashing clock on my VCR I'll be all right

EDIT: LIstening to the really old episodes I unlocked and I think the show works a little better with a few drops/clips. It adds some flavor and also gives us a couple of have to hear it to believe it moments. Wonder why they don't do that much?

Where would my life be without knowing about "We Walk the Night" from Tuff Turf or "The 52 Percent" from Wild in the Streets?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 7, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

If I ever get around to it, I want to nominate any Prince movie that's not Purple Rain or Sign of the Times because, holy poo poo.

I love Prince but understand people who don't and Under the Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge are 90 minute looks into everything that people who hate Prince really hate about Prince.

Maybe they do a music month and do one of those films plus poo poo like Xanadu, Can't Stop the Music, Phantom of the Paradise or KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park.

Also, non music related, hoping someone nominates The Last Dinosaur.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I unironically love Phantom of Paradise

Same. I just think the guys would have a lot to work with if they did it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

admataY posted:

The picks for listener request months are in :

- Death wish 4
-A sound of Thunder
-The commuter
-Queen of the damned
-Law abiding citizen

And for pateron we love movies episode : Paris Buler day off .
Animation Damnation : Gumy bears ,pilot episode ( is that a thing that exists??)
Glip-glossayr : Kneesa ( again... what??)
The nexus : TNG: MASKS and The captains holiday .

Was Paris Bueller a typo or is it a European knock off? I actually hate that movie and love these dudes but always like the show more when I've seen the movie in question. I never got why people like FBDO so will look forward to that along with Law Abiding Citzen that my mom got me to watch by saying it was good.

I humored her and said I liked it.

Foiled again though on suggestions. I called in and tried to get them to do a musical themed month which I think they could really wreck poo poo with and dunk on hard. I tried:

Phantom of the Paradise (Paul Williams)
Graffiti Bridge (Prince)
Can't Stop the Music (Village People)
Cool As Ice (Vanilla Ice)

Do they do Halloween suggestions because Phantom would be right up their alley as either a We Love or a We Hate. I love it to death but pretty sure these dudes could do a hard number on it.

Who's the co-host they had on a week or so ago? She's really funny, fits in well and apparently does some writing and poo poo that I'd like to check out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There seems to have been a little bit of love for Phantom of the Paradise in this thread and since I have no where else to post it, well...

I stumbled on this panel with Swan, Phoenix, Beef, 2 of the Juicy Fruits/Undead guys and the film editor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0HzLV_hFIw

It's pretty cool and in a just world Phantom would have endured as THE midnight movie over Rocky Horror. I like them both Phantom is just so god damned stylish. I keep thinking one Halloween I'm gonna get around to making the mask.

Also, anyone know why the new episodes aren't showing up on my laptop or my phone? Law Abiding Citizen says it's up 3/3.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Why does Law Abiding Citizen only show up on Headgum and not the main site?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

weekly font posted:

Also hot take: Cool As Ice isn’t THAT bad.

It's REAL bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

drat, it's weird seeing Wilford Brimley without a mustache.

Holy poo poo I just realized that them doing The Thing means we get more Brimley.

Marin Karin posted:

I have a nostalgic soft spot for The Thing video game even though it's buggy, and probably pretty terrible in reality.

I thought its atmosphere and ideas were neat! I'd love to see modern game engines adapt the "at any random point your squad mates can get infected and turn on you" gimmick.

Same. That game was almost there.

Biggest thing that hosed it up was that the main story mechanic (not knowing who is a Thing and using testing kits) got broken by scripted sequences. So you'd be in a room with a dude, test him negative, and then he'd thing out 30 seconds later even though you never separated from him.

I remember enjoying it but calling bullshit every time that happened, which was a lot.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 9, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

These guys are the best. Between their podcast and this forum, I think my $15 total delivered like a mother fucker

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I didn't even realize The Thing WLM was out because, for some reason, these guys have like 3 or 4 different websites (Patreon, Art 19, their main one, etc.) and they all update at different times and it's a little confusing for me sometimes. For whatever reason, the main page always seems to be the last one to update which is odd.

N-thing that this is by far my favorite podcast. I'm able to listen at work a lot and binging through all their stuff has kept me sane at a job that tests that capacity quite a lot. My coworkers think I am a complete loon since I will often spontaneously burst into laughter out of nowhere on the production floor. Nice to take a break from politics and all the horrible shitrain pelting us, especially listening to these guys deal with it right in the epicenter of NYC/C19.

I think it's funny too that a lot of these guys' catch phrases and callbacks have gradually entered into my regular vocabulary and my general discourse. I'll say things like "you keep it", "go on..." and "don't even worry about it" that I seemed to have acquired entirely by osmosis and incorporating them seems to be helping my "funny" quotient. When I gently caress up and curse, I'll do a "Oh, Gahd-DOMMIT" Wilfred Brimley and it makes me less pissed off.

Best 5 bucks I've spent in forever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you listening to podcasts right off the website? Why? Get a podcast app or if you're on a computer, there's browser based podcast players/managers.

Sometimes. But I have (I think) 3 or 4 different bookmarks between my laptop and phone as well as the Patreon app and they all offer different material at different times. It's not a big deal, really, and I'm not trying to make fuss about it. It just seems odd that the main website wouldn't be the first place to announce a new episode. I also keep my phone apps to a minimum for a variety of reasons that I won't delve into here, suffice to say I'm an :corsair: and like to keep things relatively simple to the extent that I can.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SporkOfTruth posted:

Dave and Jeb Aren't Mean by ex-goon Jeb Lund and David J Roth (of Deadspin fame) is all about subjecting themselves to Hallmark movie "magic" and laughing at it, sometimes with guests.

Wasn't Jeb Lund Helldump super poster Boniface?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, something seems to have busted in the code on their main site but the new host gives them this incredibly convenient one so... ehhhhh? sidegrade I guess

Don't worry, I've had the same problem.

For whatever reason, their "main" website lags behind with new episodes and poo poo, even if they're not behind a paywall. Seems/feels like there's like 4 different places with content but lately I've just settled on Headgum as my go to and that seems to list everything I get as a $5 Patreon member. They seem to have different poo poo all over the place.

Also, I don't know if it's just me getting burned out on binging their poo poo or whatever but I feel like they've been slipping a little bit. It's still one of my favorite podcasts but The Thing and Cool As Ice I didn't think were that great and I know absolutely nothing about Melrose Place or 90210 so it's hard for me get into those.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

These guys are so great I swear to god. This is by far my favorite podcast. MY coworkers think I'm insane because I randomly burst out laughing on the production floor or at my desk.

Just being able to make me laugh by making fun of a movie or TV show I've never even loving seen is quite an accomplishment. Most satire like that requires actual knowledge of the subject or seeing it in real time like MST. Their callbacks, timing and ability not to step on each other as they riff takes real talent. And holy poo poo had no idea there were FIVE POTC movies.

Been binging thru the Melr0210 episodes after a month of free SIrius radio and for some reason, after watching a few clips of the show, I don't get the Billy impression even though it cracks me up. Their over the top impression made me go look it up and....He doesn't sound like that? :shrug: I don't know anything about either of these shows but looking up some clips and... my god they're bad. Not sure what's worse, the acting or the writing. Yee gods.

Anyhow, that's my random complimentary post on this funny podcast.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, psyched for No Country for Old Men.

Finally caught up with the Melro210 stuff and have reached the point where I just want the Melrose stuff but agree that live stream episode doesn't work at all w/o the stream. I don't find the BH90210 episodes as funny and have sort of lost interest but, stilll, god bless these dudes for delivering so much funny for such a small price and I hope they never stop. My sanity and comedic distraction at my terrible job depends on them in several ways.

I hope one of those dudes still reads this thread and at least receives my compliments.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Andorra posted:

Were any of the live action movies of 1960s cartoons that came out in the 90s/00s even semi-good? The ones that come to mind (Scooby-Doo, George of the Jungle, Dudley Do-Right, Mr. Magoo, and Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle) are all atrocious.

Josie and the Pussycats - but that was 2001

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wilford Brimley died :(

Rest in Peace, GAHD Dommit.

The Brimley impressions always loving crack me up, especially Hard Target and that Star Wars ewok movie.

Also, WHM already did Superman 3 and 4 so...? I'm a little confused. Are they taking another run at those movies or is the thing that they're just unlocking the Patreon paywall on them?

When is the next round of listener suggestions? Because I want a full slate/month of musically centered episodes, which they've never really done that sort of thing I don't think:

- Phantom of the Paradise
- Any of Prince's movies, but preferably Under the Cherry Moon or Graffiti Bridge
- Can't Stop the Music
- Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Maybe Rhinestone or Grease 2.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zore posted:

I started in 2016 when I started doing some insanely long commutes and moved a few times. They kept me company all the way along the East Coast.

I honestly don't remember what was current when I started because I spent the first few months plowing through the back catalogue. So my first episode was Boondock Saints 2 since it was the first one with their theme song and thus the first on their automatic feed :v:

Agreed.

Comedy and laughter or just about the only things that sustain me through the tedium and horror of every day modern life, and especially passing time in traffic. Not sure what I'll ever do if my boss outlaws ear buds and podcast listening on the production floor but I seriously suspect I'd actually quit. That, or wait to get fired by defying the rule and take my chances with UEI.

These guys have gotten me through more terrible work days and lovely commutes than I can count with nothing more than a timely Brimley, Whalberg or Arnold impression and god bless them for it. They're doing the Lord's Work and If that's not worth 5 bucks a month, nothing is.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I mean, I can buy it. The Beatles don't have any songs about rear end eating do they?

Come Together?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the Superman Redux episodes are loving great.

These guys are awesome.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What's up fellow bed time night night time fellow podcast listeners?

I seriously thought I was insane/the only one who did that.

:sympathy:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Is there any reasonable way to listen to the old episodes beyond having to download them all from a google drive? I have Patreon and I was hoping they'd just be part of the Patreon feed but I guess they're not.

I just streamed them from the Google drive (?). They'd freeze up a few times but I didn't have to download them

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I actually saw Ricochet in the theater. A group of us were going to see Barton Fink but it was sold out so we settled on this turd. We were laughing our asses off at most of it. Anyway that's my Ricochet story

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Firm will give us some more Wilfred Brimley so that's always good

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Worst of 2020 will be easy. Pick any five:

Dolittle
Artemis Fowl
The Tax Collector
The Grudge remake
Call of the Wild
Irresistible
The Jesus Rolls
Scoob!
Sonic the Hedgehog

Wasn't there a new Dinesh D'souza movie this year?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I didn't even know that New Mutants finally came out

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

i like The Firm quote well so curious what this episode will be like. I just rewatched it a few weeks ago and I think it holds up.

Has one of my favorite Brimley quotes:

"I get paid to worry when I got nothing to be worried about"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah..."Recovering". But you do you, dude.

FistEnergy posted:

The Firm is their best episode in a while IMO. Very funny, especially the Brimley impersonations. They've been doing a lot of movies I don't care about recently, but this one was very good.

Agree with all of this. A few of the more recent episodes were a little hit and miss but I still usually find them funny anyway and this one nailed it. A bad effort for WHM though is like a down episode of The Wire or something. Usually it's still good.

I find more and more that my enjoyment of any of them improves greatly if I've seen the film they're loving with and I've seen The Firm several times, including recently, so that probably added to it. This one was like a loving greatest hits of my favorite impressions too (Brimley, Busey, Holly Hunter). Funnier still because I only recently realized that Hunter and Busey are basically the same impression and hearing them cop to it cracked me up. Brimley doing Romeo and Juliette actually got me to rewind I laughed so loving hard and then I found myself trying to come up with funny ways to further miscast him.

Count Dracula came to mind but I could honestly see him making a great Van Helsing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I guess.

But it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where my biggest problems with the LOTR films were "you know...they just weren't LONG enough".

I've come to the conclusion that after all these years of the books and then the films that I'm really not that much of a fan. I love The Hobbit book and read it one day as a 12 year old but when I delved into the LOTR trilogy it didn't take me long to get confused and bored and tbh I found myself skimming over a lot of it by the start of TTT. So much of it just drags and I have zero desire to ever watch the movies again. I'm saying this as huge D&D Tolkien nerd growing up and I didn't even finish reading that trilogy.

I greatly enjoyed parts of the books as well as the films and the whole thing is undoubtedly impressive with some fantastic set pieces just...large parts of it honestly bore me. Not trying to be That Guy or contrarian just for the sake of it either.

And good lord, the idea of ROTK (the movie) not being LONG enough is something I can't even begin to wrap my head around. I thought that bitch was never going to end when I saw it in the theater.

I mean, I appreciate them and get why people love them but they were convoluted and overblown then and still are for my taste.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

I would totally listen to a podcast of the whm guys talking about cohen brothers movies. This fargo episode is so good even if it isn't really that funny

They did No COuntry for Old Men

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FOtR, The Firm, Fargo and Citizen Kane were great but some of the other stuff has been leaving me sort of flat, even though I still enjoy listening to it. Seriously beginning to see a strong correlation between me having seen the movie and how much enjoyment I get out of hearing these guys gently caress with it. Which I suppose makes sense and shouldn't be very surprising.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks, thread, for letting me know I'm not insane for listening to podcasts as I go to sleep. I know a lot of people who find the idea utterly bizarre. Gonna go feel normal now about turning my fan on high and listening to a WHM rerun before I face another horrible day of existence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

the fact that people actually have STRONG OPINIONS about WW84 shows just how few movies there were this year, and how hungry people are to just have STRONG OPINIONS about a movie. WW84 was weird but I find it really strange that people are going insane about just an overall bland movie. If this had been any other year with roughly 20 huge blockbusters releasing every few minutes, no one would give 2 shits about WW84 and they def would not write full articles about how it shows the destruction of Hollywood and mankind as a whole, and at most We Hate Movies would have maybe mentioned it in passing or something. People just REALLY want to hate this movie and they want to make sure EVEYONE knows it.

I haven't seen it but I think it might have a lot to do with how big a drop off it was from the original.

Which I also haven't seen.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I really like both? But think they're not even comparable, so that's weird.

They're both DC movies and have people wearing costumes and capes so in a lot of people's (dumb) minds, that makes them worthy of comparison. Not helping is the fact that the MCU did such a good job with their cinematic continuity and...I dunno.... "house style" that all of their films can be compared to each other rather easily since the crossovers are all pretty blatant and the whole thing was meant to tie together from the start and carefully planned. I don't think its a stretch to say that DC struggled with that aspect of their film making or that most movie goers will automatically compare BoP and MoS just because "DC".

I really enjoyed Man of Steel also but it would never occur to me to compare it to Birds of Prey or Suicide Squad. One thing I'll give the DC movies over Marvel is they have a lot more stylistic and tonal range, for better or for worse. The only Marvel films that separate themselves from the pack much at all are Dr. Strange and the Antman movies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

Jesus Eric's hair :stare:

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Do they pick the requests randomly, based on their interest in the movie or how interesting the call is?