Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Finished this a few days ago, gonna summarize my thoughts for each episode:

Nosedive

I started out kinda feeling the cliche a lot, but I ended up really liking this one. It was very Rashida Jones-y, to the point where I wondered if she herself was initially supposed to play Lacey. But BDH did a great job too. And a rare happy ending!

Playtest

Holy poo poo. Awesome. It managed to keep me on edge the entire time. The actor, though a little annoying at times, really conveyed the anxiety of the situation. The ending was corny as hell, but I liked the ambiguity of whether or not he's still in it (fear of death). This might be tied for my favorite of the new season with...

Shut Up and Dance

:wtc: What a rollercoaster. I thought for sure that Bronn would turn out to be in on it. And the twist that Kenny was a pedo was great. Oh were you just sympathizing with this poor kid the entire time? Haha gently caress you. People were arguing about this, though? :psyduck: The guy asks "How young?" and Kenny makes what might be the guiltiest face I've ever seen outside of dogs in trouble.

San Junipero

This was a good one. I don't really understand why it seems to be everyone's favorite though. You figure out what's going on halfway through, and the rest is pretty much just relationship drama. Is it because ~80s~ or what? I'm glad this show took on the concept of digital immortality though, and it did it very well. It raises so many questions, like are the "dead" Juniperans even the same people, or just copies? And what if the facility has a hiccup? If you ask me, digital immortality like this is only possible if the soul actually exists.

Men Against Fire

Pretty cool! I actually didn't see the twist coming. What do you all think is the deal with the "roaches"? Ethnic group being "cleansed", actual mutants due to exposure to something (might explain the state of the world we see), or "invalids" like in GATTACA? Also, Michael Kelly killed it.

Hated in the Nation

I did not think this one was very good, and I guess I'm in the minority again on that. It felt to me like one of Shyamalan's worse movies. The bees target people through a specific hashtag on Twitter? Oh I dunno, maybe have Twitter ban that hashtag?? If that doesn't work, just loving shut down Twitter and any other sites it uses. Oh and Margaret Shroeder and the other ladies don't even try to cover their faces. I know that wouldn't work since the bees can wreck poo poo, but why wouldn't you try?! The episode was still pretty thrilling, however, and I did enjoy it.

Overall, another great season of the most hosed up show! I was worried it wouldn't be good after I saw that review about the quality not surviving the transition to Netflix, so I was pleasantly surprised. Just like the other seasons, it has the odd one out that isn't up to par with the rest (National Anthem, Waldo Moment, Hated in the Nation; just IMO). Good job Charlie, you continue to disgust and disturb me, and generally make me feel things I don't want to feel. And that's exactly why I watch. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Elman posted:

If the torture in White Christmas was real, this happiness is real too.

Yeah it was almost definitely supposed to be real in the show, I guess I was more wondering about if it were to be done in reality.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Daius posted:

The jury is still open on whether the kid was a paedophile, I think.

"How young were they? In the pictures?"

So ambiguous!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Daius posted:

Could easily be talking about goats

:laffo::laffo:

ya got me

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

Playtest

Legit scared the crap out of me. Looking forward to getting my own mushroom installed. Someone mentioned there was some ambiguity about whether or not he was "still in it"? Not sure I caught that. I think once the narrative switched from his perspective it's pretty clear that he's brain dead or something, unless I missed something.

There isn't actually anything solid to suggest it, but it would kinda fit in with how the mushroom exploits his greatest fears. Childhood bully, spiders, intense pain, losing his mind, losing his mother, and the biggest one that everyone shares: death.

quote:

Did they explain the cake? I must have missed some dialogue or something because the cake seemed pretty pointless, the rest of the stuff seemed geared at making the victims have an internal struggle about not wanting to reveal their "misdeeds", but the cake... was just a cake, right?

Not sure how the cake fit in thematically but I did like how they had to carry this package around thinking it was a bomb or some poo poo, and it turned out to be a cake :v:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

I don't know that this idea really fits, the rules about the survival horror game were part of the malfunction. Everything was his perspective up until we cut back to him in the first room 0.04 seconds after starting. Even the whack a mole scene didn't happen in reality. We as the viewers know what he experienced from his perspective but the people running the test only record that he called out for his mom.

To me it doesn't make sense that they'd change the narrative focus from the perspective of Cooper to the test runners as a way to further his narrative of the hallucination experience. It makes more sense to me that they're just using the old perspective flip trope. The story begins from one perspective and switches to another perspective as a way to change the way we interpret the original perspective. We thought he was experiencing a malfunction with the second survival horror game, but it turns out the malfunction was way earlier than that due to his cell phone being on.

I think it actually was supposed to be a survival horror game that reads his mind and exploits his fears though, given that the developer was famous for horror games. And though the rules were laid out inside the experience, that's the effect it had on him regardless. Maybe the malfunction just made it kill him.

You're probably right though, I just like to think it could go either way.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Ha ha. I'm on the Waldo episode now. Everything is fine. I'm fine. I love this show, and elections. Haha. Hahaha. :(

I saw 1 new post in this thread and I knew right away it would be something like this hahah ha ha ha ha

:ohdear:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that Blue from Hated In The Nation is The Waif from Game of Thrones, the assassin apprentice who beat Arya with a stick all the time. I knew those eyes looked familiar.

It blew my mind when I learned that. They made her look so much younger in GoT.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah Booker has said that the connections between episodes are just easter eggs. They're not all the same world.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Netflix has a few kid programs that use the tech.

Do you know the name of one? I wanna see how it works and if it works on chromecast.

edit: Nevermind, I found them.

edit edit: They do not appear to work on chromecast.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 8, 2018

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Baron von der Loon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVik34nWws
Back with three new episodes on the 5th of June.

I have to admit that I've been kinda writing off the show for the past few seasons, but dammit... the trailer makes it look good.

Lol looks like one of them is literally just a straight up "phones are bad" episode. Hopefully they'll subvert that and end up mocking that attitude.

Astro7x posted:

Just 3 episodes? Are they breaking up the seasons again, or is that it for another 2 years?

I'm guessing Bandersnatch had something to do with it. Either way, quality over quantity I say.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ulio posted:

Is Bandersnatch worth watching?

Yeah, if only for the CYOA novelty.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S: 15 Million Merits, White Christmas, San Junipero
A: The Entire History of You, White Bear, Shut Up and Dance
B: The National Anthem, Playtest, USS Callister, Nosedive, Bandersnatch, Striking Vipers
C: Be Right Back, The Waldo Moment, Hang the DJ, Smithereens, Ashley Too
D: Arkangel, Crocodile, Black Museum
E: Men Against Fire, Metalhead
F: Hated in the Nation

Thanks for watching, like and subscribe

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

I can more or less get behind that list but Playtest would be way way lower.

Yeah I know it's a fairly dumb one, but I just really enjoy it for some reason. It's very effective as horror for me, and I like that they finally touched on the idea of early neural-link/full-dive tech going wrong and turning people into vegetables.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Was that supposed to be ambiguous?

Yes? I mean, they don't show it and there's no solid indication either way. IMO, the snipers constantly missing throughout the episode and Billy's reaction make me lean toward the intern being the one who got shot, but it could really go either way.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Your brain doesn't stop working while you sleep, it's actually pretty active. There's continuity of consciousness.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The scenes aren't even "post-credits", they start literally 2 seconds after the first credit appears on screen. :psyduck: Are y'all rushing to exit out as quickly as possible as soon as a name appears or something?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

No Wave posted:

Wasnt smithereens basically real world?

Yes but you can't fault anyone for forgetting about that episode.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Humans are just atoms. :smug:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rappaport posted:

I don't remember Altered Carbon that well either, but isn't the point there that a person's mind is in those disc things? Somehow.

This is stretching "in something" a little, but in Clarke's 2001 series of books the ancient aliens or whatever seemingly transfer several consciousnesses into the fabric of spacetime or whatever the techno-babble around it was.

But this is just the Star Trek transporter argument all over again; would you ever step into one? Is it an execution machine with a funny side-function, or a transportation device?

Don't Start Trek transporters literally transfer your consciousness in the data stream or something? Not that that's realistic, but canonically it's not destroying you and making a copy. Would step into one.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rappaport posted:

But what about Riker 2: Riker harder?

Oh poo poo good point

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

My updated tierlist, new eps in italics, eps are ordered by season within tiers

S: 15 Million Merits, White Christmas, San Junipero
A: The Entire History of You, White Bear, Shut Up and Dance, Loch Henry, Demon 79
B: The National Anthem, Playtest, USS Callister, Nosedive, Bandersnatch, Striking Vipers, Joan is Awful
C: Be Right Back, The Waldo Moment, Hang the DJ, Smithereens, Ashley Too, Beyond the Sea
D: Arkangel, Crocodile, Black Museum, Mazey Day
E: Men Against Fire, Metalhead
F: Hated in the Nation

Joan: A highly enjoyable episode but I was a little disappointed when it all turned out to be an AI/simulation thing, an overused cliche for BM
Loch Henry: Like everybody else has already said, it's not very Black Mirrory but it was so well done for what it was that I didn't mind at all. A cynical but valuable commentary on truecrime
Beyond the Sea: Extremely cool premise IMO, and I'm a sucker for space scifi, but it became very predictable as soon as the wife suggested sharing the robot. Also too long
Mazey Day: Not sure what they were even going for here. Paparazzi bad, no poo poo. Suddenly werewolf? What the gently caress lol
Demon 79: Another unconventional one but it ruled. I would watch a whole show with this premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

McSpanky posted:

"What if <technology>, but not enough"?

That's basically what Beyond the Sea was. Not enough Josh Hartnett robots.