Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In last week's Arrow the hot nerd hacker not only zoomed in and enhanced a camera still but also changed the camera angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Then they released the Vita and barely marketed it at all...the only ad I've ever seen for it was for the rushed Call of Duty game that was so loving terrible its dev studio went out of business. This was during a time when call of duty made so much cash I think it had two distinct branded flavors of Mountain Dew.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chicago has this weird delusion that it's actually one of the greatest cities in America just because it's surrounded by a state that is so ungodly terrible that it really does seem tolerable by comparison. The only things they have left to hold onto to shield their pride are lovely bread-pizza and hot dogs, it's not worth arguing with them over.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

pentyne posted:

Depressingly, none of them were "white" people, which is what gets the headlines.

haha good lord

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Related, but the most recent Cracked After Hours episode talks about how the characters on the show were just as unlikable, hateful, selfish people as on Seinfeld, with none of the karmic punishments that show doled out.

This is really only remotely true about Ross and Rachel, the rest were generally good people and holy poo poo I'm posting about Friends now

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

How exactly do you think this is pronounced?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm leaning towards that quote being satire, mainly because of the direct use of the comedy punchline "literally shaking."
But... it could just be true too, ugh.

It must be satire because compared to the Wii Vitality Sensor or M Night Shyamalan playing air drums the conference was a masterpiece.

Plus Platinum making Star Fox.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

whole lotta words about how angry at video games you aren't

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

So Nvidia had a recent promotion where you could buy one of their graphics cards and receive hotly anticipated title BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (tm) for free. This was meant to show off Nvidia's recent cards and how well they run even graphically intensive new games, and developer Rocksteady got a lot of free advertising out of it.

Except, whoops, turns out Rocksteady outsourced the PC port so now this massive flagship title meant to push graphics card sales sputters on high end cards and is locked into 30fps by default. Now both companies look pretty incompetent for pushing it so hard.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I can't even imagine what emotes would make me throw money at the screen - we already have sitting, waving, pointing and dancing, and there's not a who lot of situations where flipping the bird would work in game. I think I'm set.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The Red Bull thing is about an exclusive mission, and who knows what else there is.

And no, its not just that. There's also items that give you huge XP boosts. Its pretty hosed up.

They're getting made fun of already by other game companies:

Just posted to the official Dying Light twitter account.

So buy a $1.99 can of Red Bull for the mission and the boost? I'd rather do that than pay $20 for a mission and a few gun upgrades anyway.

I swear, some people will whine about anything. If you can't live without a few more emotes to the point where you're even considering dropping the cash to rebuy the game to get them the problem is absolutely not on Activision's side.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

A full game is different than a bunch of animations you will forget even exist within ten seconds of trying them all but thanks for proving that vocal gamers have literally no off switch for stupid

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ah yes of course the esteemed and noted video game journalism community is up in arms about this it must surely be a serious issue

e: hey zaphod you're a total idiot and Hitchhiker's fans are proto-doctor-who weirdos

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

turnways posted:

"Destiny consumers are used to paying a premium for downloadable content similar to this quest"

It's pretty bad when even ad execs think you're easy pickings.

Except it's true? All new quests so far have been part of $20 DLC packs, so I don't understand what's so double-mega-Hitler bad about offering one for the price of a can of Red Bull. Plus I'm pretty sure the descriptions of 99% of marketing campaigns are exactly as goofy as that, consumers just generally don't get to see them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The original DS even came with a weird plastic thumb pad on the strap if you needed more accuracy than a finger but didn't want to mess with the stylus. I personally thought it was great but I never saw anyone else using it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Check what channel posted that video, and then calm down.

I didn't even have to check, I recognize those actors.

Yeah, the whole "who's your daddy" / "be my baby" side of our culture is loving weird.

There's a new song the radio keeps playing about some girl who's exes keep coming after her, and it has the line

"Cause I'm the best baby that they never got to keep"

And I'm like... is she talking about ex-boyfriends or like, father figures or something? :v: I legitimately wasn't sure for a second.

lmfao jesus

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

That's good info, because I always always curious about it. Was it just that the Nintendo franchises have lost their luster and only their hardcore fans are buying them? I know a few people who work at gamestop and kids don't want mario and zelda games, they want CoD and AC games. It's mostly adults who buy the Nintendo franchises. Though again, kids don't drive game sales, adults do. Plus its anecdotal anyways.

Yea, my one friend who has a WiiU got Mario Maker and spent forever to actually find playable fun levels. Too many meme 4chan levels, a lot of remade sonic levels, bullshit levels that just are unfair.

I know something that killed a lot of my friends interest in the WiiU was Colonial Marines. we felt that it would show that the WiiU had more serious games planned rather than casual gimmicky games. And that turned out terrible and we felt that Nintendo just had no idea what it was doing except for going for gimmicks and making more of their 1st party stuff.

Nintendo's situation kind of reminds me of Funko, they make so much money of Popfigures/DS that they can afford to try new stuff that isn't successful. I've heard people say "oh nintendo is going the way of Sega and we'll be playing Mario on PlayStation in 10 years" which is stupid. They'd literally need a string of massive failures to be in that kind of trouble. This is more the Virtual boy, they tries something, it didn't work and they'll do something else and it will work.

Even that said, the WiiU is no where as much of a failure of the Virtual Boy. That thing lasted less than a year and what, 20 games were released for it? The funny thing is I think having Virtual boys set up all over the place so people could play it hurt them. Everyone could see it was hot garbage; the VR effects were shallow, the thing was hard to use properly, the games weren't even fun. I remember playing it every time I was at blockbuster and it hurt my eyes after even a few minutes.

The Virtual Boy is a really especially dumb case because like you said, there were demo stations everywhere....but the only way to play it without getting a headache was to adjust the focus which you could only do on the splash screen when the console booted up. So people would walk up, play with something focused to someone else's eyes (if at all), get a headache and swear off the thing.

It's a shame, too- Wario Land and Red Alarm were loving awesome games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Another factor with the Wii U is that it didn't have any kind of branding differentiation. I'm not a big follower of consoles, and it wasn't clear to me until someone spelled it out that the Wii U was an entirely new system and not just some fancy peripheral for the Wii. The Playstation and XBox series have done a good job of giving newness to their consoles. The nintendo series did an amazing job, up to the Wii U of making sure people knew that new was new, both in the name and in the appearance of the unit.

I can imagine that mom or grandma won't really see or understand the difference between the two consoles and just think "well the kids already have one of those..." It seems like a small amount of confusion, but that family purchase was a big part of Nintendo's market share.

I'm seriously wondering how in your mind Microsoft has done a great job differentiating their new console when they named it what basically everyone called their original console in casual conversation since about 2007 or so.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Haha you have no idea how economics OR politics work, gotcha.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Phalanx is just another example of SFC carts having cooler packaging

That's exactly what you'd expect and it sells the game pretty well

That is a dong with wings, friend.

Recently some lovely third tier cable channel started advertising their upcoming showing of The Wizard of Oz, and they did it on FB with a picture of Scarecrow on his post and the caption "Get that stick out of your @$$!"

It's the most cringeworthy fake-edginess I've seen since the 90s. How did anyone think that was the right way to advertise an 80 year old musical?!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Non intrusive product placement in games is cool, but keeping with the theme of the thread...who the hell greenlit the marketing abomination that threw Stride Gum all over everything in Shaun White Skateboarding?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah Bro posted:

I can't wait to see the next fresh meme that the "My compsci degree qualifies me to see through marketing bullshit" thread comes up with.

I can't wait to see Yeah Bro actually contributing to a thread even once instead of walking in and making GBS threads it up like a smug idiot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

If we're on the subject of food allergens and sensitivities now who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to make imitation crab out of like 60% sorbitol? Crab meat isn't sweet and definitely shouldn't make you poo poo your guts out until you pray for the sweet release of the grave. :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Jesus Day argument doesn't even make any sense. Dude showed up to a party without booze and the first thing he did was turn a bunch of water to wine.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

My local theater is all reserved seating in electric recliners, has a full service bar with great prices and appetizers, and lets you bring your drinks into the movie. Tickets are only a quarter more than at the lovely Marcus Cineplex a mile away that smells like mildew and charges eight bucks for a popcorn.

I have no idea how they stay in business because their margins must be absolutely tiny but it's a really great experience all around - I've seen more movies in theaters in the six months I've lived here than in the past six years combined.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I feel like this needs a hell of a lot more context.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I got this cheapo "Utech" knockoff MMO mouse ("UtechSmart Venus 16400 DPI High Precision Laser MMO Gaming Mouse" - I think it's a knockoff of some Razor thing) on Amazon's Prime Day non-holiday thing for like $20 and it's actually one of the most comfortable mice I've ever used. I only use like two of the fancy extra buttons but it's nice having them available - lately I've taken to setting one button as crouch and another as sprint on it and it reduces hand strain a ton.

I don't know if it would be worth the hundred loving dollars they apparently have the gall to charge for them normally though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Jesus Christ nothing escapes this guy. It's not like I didn't check the official Pizza Napoletana specification (UNI 10791:98) beforehand or anything, which states (emphasis mine)

(TSG application IT/TSG/007/0031/09.02.2005, published in European Union OJ L 34, 5 February 2010, pages 7-17, annex II)

485°C is almost exactly 900°F (905 in fact)

Wow. Dork.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Logitech used to be great but now suffers from a lot of the stuff that other budget brands do. It's no surprise their older stuff lasted forever, honestly, but now they try to shill 80 "gaming keyboards" with 5KRO and the board printed in such a way that Shift+Space only sends the Shift signal.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Thank God I have McAfee Active Protection software that came pre-installed on my computer

I think it's a pretty dumb move in marketing to keep the product/company named McAfee when John McAfee has lost his goddamn mind. Is he still wanted and hanging out in South America? I read some interview or something with him I think on Ars Technica and he was completely unhinged, he kept talking about this drug that he uses as an aphrodisiac and stuff like that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Ownership over the idea of an apple, which is not just selling a seed or sapplings, but instead a trademark, sets a dangerous precedent for the ownership of basic foodstuffs. Sure, it's just a brand of apples now, but it's part of a worrying trend in multinational agriculture which is pushing for complete control over what is grown and consumed. Multinational companies apply for, and receive, patents on seeds for everything from cereals to apples to soybeans, which gives them the opportunity to remove traditionally used seeds from independent farmers since said older seeds may contain xxx amount of the genetic material in the trademarked seed, which then legally obliges farmers to buy seeds only from the multinationals which hold the patent. This is not only a financial burden on farmers, but also reduces biodiversity, opening us up to more problems down the food, as well as reduces the sociocultural value that localized crops have in a region.

Please don't take this as me being an anti-GMO advocate who is afraid of chemicals. Genetic modification is the reason we have so much agricultural biodiversity in the first place. But by branding and trademarking and putting control over seeds, and thus the food supply, into multinational hands that seek to standardize all aspects of agricultural is a recipe for disaster, particularly in the face of climate change.

However, I do not know if this is true of Dick Sucking Apples, as I haven't done much research on them in particular.

None of that is how patents on seeds actually work.

E: poo poo I used words from the Oxford English Dictionary, now I'm legally obliged to only make posts by throwing dictionaries at my computer, thanks a lot OBAMA!!!!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

talking about papayas, there are so good. why do people hype up the mango when papayas are so much better

Some papayas taste the way gross unwashed feet smell. Unfortunately, those were the kind I was exposed to most often, and I cannot move past it, and heal.

For pro-tier uncommon fruits though I go nuts over kumquats whenever they're available.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It turned out that the Earth was hollow all along. The lizard lobster people in the core just pulled the cork out of the tub.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's in the last episode of LOST.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think music licensing also hosed with the Drew Carey show. They released the first season or two, but everything else is locked up. I guess they could release it without the opening credits...but those were really good opening credits.

Yeah, Moon Over Parma is the theme for the first season, but they couldn't secure the rights for Five o'Clock World and Cleveland Rocks used for the rest of the seasons.

It's a real shame, because the Drew Carey show aged pretty well for that weird mid-90s vintage of sitcom.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Agent355 posted:

I actually forgot it was a shawshank redemption quote. I recognized the quote but thought it was weird the ad was supposed to be a guy breaking out of prison. I didn't even think rape until this thread started bellowing about it.

I didn't even see it until the thread started in on it, since I don't use Twitter and don't go out of my way to read corporate Twitter feeds. So I'm going to guess that they knew exactly what the gently caress they were doing with it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

I didn't even see it until the thread started in on it, since I don't use Twitter and don't go out of my way to read corporate Twitter feeds. So I'm going to guess that they knew exactly what the gently caress they were doing with it.

plainswalker75 posted:

I guarantee that slogan was approved specifically to generate controversy and get people talking about their brand;

gosh guys, this sure is really dumb marketing that we've been talking about and reposting for a page and a half, lol, do they realize how dumb they look right now? hahaha what a mistake, amirite?!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chitin posted:

Truly, real bad marketing will never end up in this thread because discussing it automatically makes it good.

I don't even know if I'm being sarcastic right now.

There's some bad marketing that is unintentional, and there is some bad marketing that is designed explicitly to get a bajillion clicks on a corporate Twitter feed that nobody would ever, EVER look at otherwise. Now, sometimes it can be hard to tell, but in this case - where a giant corporation made a joke about prison rape, complete with a cartoon illustration, to advertise their hard candy, and then left it online for DAYS after it was pointed out how creepy it was - what do you think the intention was?

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jan 31, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The puppetmaster defense, but for advertising

"Hahaha I made this ad bad intentionally, you idiots, and now you're talking about it! No way I hosed up a joke and accidentally did something offensive or anything!"

Again, it looks like that tweet was up for three days. There was nothing accidental about it, it's foolish to think otherwise.

"Y'know I really like American Idol, but it's so UNPROFESSIONAL how they have those Pepsi cups out on their desk all the time! Don't they know how silly that looks? Unrelated, I'm kinda thirsty!"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

What are some ads that actively drove consumers away the product? On a personal level, I can think of two ads that caused me to switch away to another brand, although they were both for successful products.

I can't remember many off the top of my head other than Romero's Daikatana full page ad (and that's practically cheating) but the mid-90's had video game print ads get shittier and shittier as every single company tried to insinuate that their game was gorier or whatever. It got to a point where you could flip through a magazine and see a pattern emerge: gory ad, sexy ad, insults-the-reader-for-no-reason ad, and then usually an ad for Devil Dice, a game I'm still not sure actually exists outside of a weirdly long-running print advertising campaign. I used to read a bunch of gaming magazines, and I really can't remember an ad that made me think positively about the game in question.

There was one ad I recall where there was a three-page foldout, not for some nice big-titty ladies, but for an ad for a game. When you turned the page and saw the ad it was just a grinning dude in breastplate armor - when you flipped out the trifold it showed that he was just a grinning head on a pike, with some viscera hanging out the bottom, along with some tiny grainy screenshots and copy about how you have to be awesome to not get head-piked or something (?). I don't even remember what the game was, but I do remember not loving renting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Laudanum was a basic druggist preparation and advertising it (without dressing it up as a patent medicine) would have been like advertising iodine. Even for a fake ad, though, this is a terrible execution.

You do understand that it's from a catalog, right? The fakest looking thing about the ad is how big it is, Sears & Roebuck catalogs were packed stupid-full of copy. I've seen a few sources claiming they sold laudanum (alongside cocaine and heroin) though so they must have had a little advertising blurb somewhere, even if it was just a paragraph of text.