Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Sometimes a charity fucks it up royally by reducing it's beneficiaries to a glut of stereotypes.

dynamicafrica.tumblr.com posted:

South African Charity Given Award for Worst Stereotype Commercial.

Remember this controversial advert from South African charity Feed-A-Child that depicted a young black boy as a dog, with a white woman as his owner?

The Norwegian Students’ and Academics’ International Assistance Fund (SAIH) held its second annual Rusty Radiator Awards where social media users voted for video as the one with the “worst use of stereotypes”.

“This ad illustrates how a good cause and a fundraising campaign can be drawn into the wrong direction. Racism is not just something that existed 200 years ago, it is present both in South Africa and Western countries today,” said Kristoffer Kinge, SAIH’s Vice President and head of this year’s award.

[source: http://dynamicafrica.tumblr.com/post/104244225118/south-african-charity-given-award-for-worst]

The ad in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtcbotOur2E

And an amazing response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbqA6o8_WC0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Rondette posted:

Bahahah here it is.

Throw some blue LEDs on that and you could probably get gamers to actually look after their personal hygiene.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Don't forget this hip new monstrosity:

A couple of months back I was watching Youtube on my Xbox and instead of a McDonalds advert, it was a corporate promo-reel and creative justification for this... thing. You know, the sort of stuff the creative agency would show to the suits in order to sell their concept. Clearly somebody figured a bunch of looped animations and corporate jargon about what "Happy" represents to kids and consumers was prime ad space. I think it was the first time I've never skipped an ad, just because it was so surreal.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I wonder how people calculate the worth of social media presence. It can be vital to local businesses in areas with a ton of millennials, but how much is a "Like" worth to Wal-Mart or McDonald's? They could spend millions on a social marketing campaign and barely budge their sales numbers.

When you're as ubiquitous as McDonalds or Wal-Mart, social campaigns are more to "stay relevant" than to remain in the public consciousness. For smaller groups they totally do calculate "cost per like" on social campaigns - which varies as much as internet advertising - and actual sales are still the domain of traditional advertising. At one point, "likes" were the be all and end all of whether your company is doing well, regardless of where they came from or why.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I would love to see this if someone can find the video

Found it! It's still on the McDonalds South Africa Youtube page. Paragraphs of text and repetitive music is definitely prime-time advertising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tff9dafR49Q

Radio Paranoia has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jan 5, 2015

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Good god, this is terrible. It's like a PowerPoint presentation.

Hey kids, remember when you used to get a toy? Well shut the gently caress up and play with this grease stained box.

If you've worked in advertising it's very clearly a pitch / rationale video designed for suits with lots of money - down to the "Thank you" slide at the end. I'm guessing that there was a last minute "poo poo, we need some sort of online advertising video! Eh, just send that video we got from the agency to Youtube, it's fine."

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Dropbear posted:

What is really loving hilarious to me is how bad YouTube advertisements are, at least here in Finland. Even if you don't use adblock you can usually skip the ad after 5 seconds, which is what most people do. So, logically, you should try to ram the important bits (your product / company name at the very least) into those first five seconds, right? Nope! Everyone puts the weirdest poo poo that has nothing to do with the advertised thing at the start!

Seriously, at one point I considered doing a collage of the most goddamn funny "first 5 seconds of youtube commercials before you skip them". I think my favourite one was something like a clip of some random old people with a "Huyyyyrrgh?" sound effect. I still have no idea what that's supposed to sell.

There's actually a really good campaign going on down here at the moment for an insurance agency where the first five seconds are: "Hii'mheretotellyouaboutthisinsurancecompanywhereyoucansavexeverymonthonyourpremiumsaaaandskip"... If you don't skip the ad continues with the whole "Oh, you're still here? Well then..." pitch - but it's a clever way of using that microsecond (in advertising terms) to get the message across.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Haruharuharuko posted:

So for some reason Nestle has decided to market their "new" butterfinger cups (Resees Peanut butter cup knock offs) with the ad slogan

"Are you Try-curious?"

I don't see this lasting long.

A local "gentleman's club" recently put up a billboard with two girls dancing on the same pole with the strapline "BIPOLAR!"
But then again, their advertising has never been as classy as they like to portray themselves.

Case in point - this popped up around the time of the whole Caster Semenya gender confusion: http://i.imgur.com/Qrk1OVZ.jpg :nws:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The perfect accompaniment for this alcohol-flavored candy!

I love beer with a passion but :barf:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Wedemeyer posted:

I mean, assuming Australia doesn't have a lol Black people love fried chicken stereotype. I don't know the issues of race in Australia very well.

It's not great.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've heard the managers have a quota of them they have to meet, and there's a time schedule where people are prompted to do it or something and then they record you doing it? I dunno how much of that is true, but it sounds like this hilarious dystopian promotion where you are only rewarded for love when a corporation allows it. Hyperbolic, sure, but man I'm not really sure what they're trying to do with the promotion.

It's basically a more public version of this:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

The new Aygo campaign is a bit, uh...

ok ok, I'll go 'fun' myself. I'm sure every person who hears the advert or sees the billboard automatically thinks 'go gently caress myself?'

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Racy advertising turns heads and gets attention - and if you want to get really technical you can go into the sexual theory behind the whole thing.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Could be one of two things:
1. Somebody who doesn't quite "get" internet culture just shouting BRAND INTERACTION! VIRAL! HASHTAG! until they get their way
2. Them knowing full well that it'll go badly, and relying on the trainwreck appeal to reach us too-cool kids. Bet you couldn't tell me what Coke's last ad campaign before this one was

I don't think Coke is smart enough for #2. Don't forget that SA and the like makes you very aware of what the internet is capable of and if you're some marketing exec who uses Facebook and Email you aren't going to be exposed to it at all. You can't create a viral campaign - it's a crapshoot whether it will actually go viral so the incessant screaming often leads to poorly thought out execution.

Funnily enough, Coke's last interactive campaign was creating your own custom "Share a Coke With..." can. It took a couple of days before they started adding a word-filter but by then everybody had already expressed their desire to share a Coke with Hitler.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

sassassin posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the guys in charge of Coca Cola's marketing are all naive morons who don't understand the world half as well as some people who paid $10 to post on an internet forum.

Dude, you have no idea...

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

Please God tell me this isn't what marketing to Millennials is about?!????

http://youtu.be/fcAj3lOyv3s

Joey Tatro was kinda funny / self-aware... What the gently caress happened :smith:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I'm barely 26, single, and mostly solvent with a career ahead of me and I still feel this all the loving time when I interact with 15-21 year-olds. I can only imagine how much it pisses off someone locked into a dead-end job with 2 kids, a dead marriage, and a mortgage.

Why are you interacting with 15-21 year olds in the first place? If anything, you can only check the first one of those boxes and you're only as old as you let yourself be. This isn't some motivational bullshit, but really, why get hung up on stupid poo poo that you can easily control. I mean, I'd get it if you were 40, in a dead-end job with two kids to support, but the world is still very much your oyster.

I think one of the biggest problems facing "millenials" is the expectation that you're supposed to become an adult and immediately have your poo poo worked out like the boomers allegedly did (They didn't).

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

AtomD posted:

"Kan ek asseblief 'n een-en-twintig stuk emmer diepgebraaide hoender kry?"
"Jy bedoel 'n "21-piece bucket"?"
"Oooh! Fancy!"

Oh god, I can hear the accents!!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This might be my new favorite foreign word.

Much like Tokyo Sexwale, it's not nearly as fun when you hear it spoken out loud.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

canis minor posted:

Just saw and ad for a toilet - the logo they followed up with was... well, it made me think of this thread

Now if it was an ad for a curry place...

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not quite marketing, but who the hell picks out the horrible Muzak + "thank you for holding, we appreciate your patience!" messages I've been listening to for 15 minutes now (and this is for a .gov line)? While I'm sitting here with the phone stuck to my head, it occurs to me that ClearChannel (or any paying ASCAP entity) could make a mint piping some quasi-popular songs, plus advertising, versus this endless loop of off-brand Kenny G .

I'm pretty sure it comes with whatever call centre queueing software the company uses. It's quite jarring to hear an American accent telling me "You are called number... FOUR..." while the rest of the interstitial captive advertising its in the vernacular.

The monopoly telecoms provider here has this muzak that sounds like it comes from the B-Roll of an Asylum version of Lord of the Rings as it pans over bad CG Hobbiton. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't a ten second jingle that immediately gets hijacked by somebody telling me how important my call is and all the wonderful (read: lovely) services they provide.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

What did I just watch? I'm not a hardcore gamer or flight attendant. Was this an ad for building a computer? Will they let anyone bring this on a flight or just employees? Why should I care about this product? Why doesn't the computer come pre-assembled?

My company has one of these for Oculus Rift demos. It's far from portable, so I don't know what the ad's getting at with the whole flight-attendant angle. Maybe if ti was an ad for the Nvidia Shield or similar, it would make sense. If only there was a machine that would fit on the top of your lap. Some sort of "Lap" "Top", maybe...

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Whoops!

:staredog:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Ramos posted:

That is completely intentional and exactly why you took notice of the ad.

Apparently it was legitimate and has since been pulled. v:shobon:v

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/we-all-need-d-says-ad-campaign-obviously-doesnt-know-what-d-means-169187

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

While horrifying, what he's reacting to is hilarious. Clearly the owner spent ages on his "pitch" and now some meanie girl comes along and ruins it, his business is doomed (hopefully).

E: While he appears to have deletes the above conversation, the rest of the Facebook page is worth checking out for Customer Relations 101 :stare:

Radio Paranoia has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Jan 25, 2016

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

Ever since I clicked on that link my Facebook is full of DUDE WIPES ads! :argh:

Maybe they're trying to tell you something?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

how is it hard to juice your fruits

I'm sure people who want to be healthy would just buy a blender and regular people would just buy juice from the store.

so it's for lazy people that wants to pretend to be healthy? the gently caress

Clearly harder than most people think.

I watched this with my girlfriend and the amount of "gently caress offs" in less than 2 minutes was impressive. It's definitely targeted at the "I'm so healthy"/Soylent demographic who want to shave precious hours off of doing crazy things like "food prep".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

It's saying you can buy a decent amount of food for a cheap price, even if it is not payday, i.e. on payday you might buy a lot of food because you have funds available, but with these cheap prices you can buy a lot of food with whatever funds you have available on any day, be it payday or otherwise.

While that's probably the intended message, the SA economy got tanked so hard lately I can only read it as "Your money is worth next to nothing right now so you may as well make it count."