Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My god, iSnack 2.0? I can just imagine the guy submitting that as a joke, and being both horrified and amazed when it won.

It also reminds me that I don't think anyone has posted the time when Mountain Dew let the internet name it's new flavour...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Oh, here's a fun one! A Singapore anti-gambling poster during the World Cup.

(They did)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

grittyreboot posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned this commercial yet. This is the most stupid attempt at rebranding i can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1vtZR16RY

Oh, I can think of stupider...

Challenge to non-Brits: Guess what this business is/was without looking it up.

Need a clue? The BBC say this was involved:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That was actually a legit thing. Just about everything Microsoft have done with the Xbone, including giving it a name like 'Xbone' is highly amusing.

Titanfall had a 'Drop a Titan on it' gif-maker which I'm not sure was ever used legitimately, but the Xbone mock thread had a lot of fun with it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Which game was it that sent a publicity-stunt kit to reviewers that ended up with most of the kits being destroyed by a bomb squad because they didn't let any of the reviewers know ahead of time what was in the mysterious packages?

Edit: It was Watch_Dogs. Of course it was Watch_Dogs... sending a black safe that beeps when opened, and only informing people by voicemail they don't all use.

Double-edit: Sending only one of these to a major news company that doesn't cover videogames...

Sort of like what the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie put up lite-brites all over Boston, without clearing it with anyone so the bomb squads got called in over mysterious blinking lights on the sides of buildings.

Elfface has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Dec 19, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think that's pretty cool to be honest.

It's a lot more straightforward than most attempts at bribery. Nevermind toys and trips to the studios, just send a cheque pretending it's a clever piece on greed.

I'm also assuming 100% of the cheques were cashed, and very few reviewers mentioned it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Eeeh, if the developers were allowed a tenth as much creativity as the marketers, they might have been onto something. Instead, they made a god-of-war clone at a time when GoW itself was starting to feel played out.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Did you miss the part where they were offering a prize for the lewdest act? There's a difference between 'Take a picture' and what they were incentivising people to do.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
People will take competitions for trivial prizes way too seriously, not just ones encouraging sexual harassment.

Like the radio station that ran a "Hold your wee for a wii" competition, and killed a participant with water intoxication.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6261509.stm

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Eeps etc. remind me of this lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVuODEx2_9Y

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They say they're going to run a different ad instead, but haven;t said what it is.

I guess it's bought them a lot of publicity, but maybe not the sort they want.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Jastiger posted:

Let me ask this to everyone, does anyone find the commercials where the subject in the commercial is "elite" effective?

Think back to that Cadillac commercial (we work more than every other country!) the National Rental Car (You don't have to talk to humans, and I don't want to!) or the for profit colleges (YOU are elite, you don't need to work no desk job, come get our business degree!).

Do those work on anyone? Does that make anyone want to buy that product? For me it just guarantees I'll never seek out those products because they are for assholes. What does the research say?

The British Army recruitment slogan is 'Be the Best'.

Then again, I also remembered hearing that when international tensions are high, they tweak the advertising to be about how good you need to be, whereas in relative peace it's about how good they can make you. Because Johnny Jingo isn't actually a very useful guy to be a soldier.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

organburner posted:

Well I bought one in Sweden and it didn't come with one, but all the other electronics requiring a charger comes with one so it's not against any EU laws to pack a charger with a device so I don't understand what the gently caress?

It's pretty much to save money, that's why nintendo isn't packing chargers with them, it's not due to some EU law.

I'd add to this that it's not just saving the cost of a charger - It lets them have a smaller box which costs less to transport.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah, when I ask for a small where I am they usually ask whether I want the 8oz "small" or the 12oz "tall". And I could see where people who want a Grande order Large (that's what it means in Italian!), so they have to clarify that too.

Instead of dealing with that ambiguity or saying Starbucks' retarded sizes, you can just say "12/16/20 ounce".

Wait, they have three sizes and they call them Small-Small, Small-Large and Large?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Looks like it's the guy after a jet being a shithead - The guy didn't collect many points, there was just some smallprint that said once you had 15 points you could make up the rest in cast at 10c a point. So he sent a $700,000 cheque rather than the full number of points.

On the other hand, a flat-out refusal is just about the worst thing Pepsi could have done. They should have offered something like a tour of a fighter jet and a chance to fly in one, or the like, and then put out a new ad joking that the jet was sold out.

For an example of that done right, look to Burma Shave.

First of all, when their ads read

"Free Offer! Free Offer!
Rip A Fender
Off Your Car
Mail It In For
A Half-Pound Jar
Burma-Shave"

Plenty of people did either post, or turn up at the factory with, fenders. The requests here honoured, and a good time was had by all. Burma Shave figured any lost sales from the product were made up for in goodwill.

Later on, they had another joke advert that someone tried to take seriously.

"Free — Free
A Trip
To Mars
For 900
Empty Jars
Burma-Shave"

and then, to quote snopes...

Snopes.com posted:

Mr. French wired Burma-Shave he was accepting its offer — where should the jars be shipped? In response, the company wired back:

If A Trip
To Mars You Earn
Remember, Friend
There's No Return

French was not to be dissuaded. He countered with another telegram:

Let's Not Quibble
Let's Not Fret
Gather Your Forces
I'm All Set

What could Burma-Shave do but respond?

Our Rockets Are Ready
We Ain't Splitting Hairs
Just Send Us The Jars
And Arrange Your Affairs

In the end, with help from his town donating their empty jars, mr French did indeed gather 900 empty jars. Burma Shave sent him and his wife to Moers (Pronounced Mars) in Germany, as well as handing out plenty of free pruducts,m and again turned the whole thing into a good time.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

DrBouvenstein posted:

What? That's stupid, everyone knows Orcas live on the moon.

No they don't. I've seen a documentary about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doJj5hKyXuw

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They've also named their new web browser 'Spartan'. Now, alright, there are plenty of other places that name could have come from, but I don't think it's a coincidence.

Windows Halo Edition

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Isn't Light Beer low alcohol content? Why are they giving that a slogan which is basically "You'll get drunk and do stupid poo poo" when presumably light is for people who don't want to get drunk, or at least not so easily?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sincerely sorry to have offended you. All I meant to say was that it didn't seem that bad to me, but yeah I did end up talking about Ferguson and Native Americans and Irish Jews and that was uncalled for.

I get that the slogan calls to mind "no means no", I just don't think it's actually causing anyone duress. All discussion of it seems to be "someone might be offended by this" rather than someone actually being offended?

Either way sorry to be a cock but I still think it's mountains from mole hills.

We're not offended by it, we know they don't mean it in a rapey way. We're saying it calls that to mind, which makes people think of it when deciding whether or not to buy your product. Which is a dumb move.

It's like... If your car advert focuses too much on safety, it reminds people of car accidents. Sure, you're saying that your car is safer, but people are still thinking about danger at the time, which puts them off.

And yeah, I did think light beer was lower alcohol percentage.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

pussy riot police posted:

Of course we are. We are goons.

And not just goons. PYF goons. The gooniest goons since the goonies.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Grey Fox posted:

They'd get a bonus before they get a pink slip for all the media attention this generated. Why would you fire someone over an easily correctable mistake?

Contrary to popular belief, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Maigius posted:

Not a large as other things in the thread, but 15 years or so a small local pet shop was going out of business and put up a said that said "Hamsters On Clearance". They were on clearance for almost an entire school year. Never went in there and it closed, but laugh about it every time I drive past it.

So, do you think if you actually bought one it would have played out like this:

Or like this?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
R Kelly is K-Pop?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
True of every thread.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Don't forget that you need properly aligned shafts, or the blade might catch on the way down.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
See, I went for a different super-villain...

He just needs to grow his shoulders some more.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Urgh... Phone posting so imagine that picture of the space marine shooting over the head of the fan, labelled "brand posting is bad" and "Woah, cool opportunity for viral marketing" as appropriate.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They at least didn't put it unfiltered like Mountain Dew Hitler Did Nothing Wrong, or it almost certainly would have been something along those lines.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Stick to what you're good at. Sportsmen keep playing sports, and I'll keep doing nothing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Not really, they’ve been making them all along. It’s basically like saying the Honda Civic has been.
Also, I’m French and I’ve never heard it singled out as a “lesbian car”. It’s a compact car for city driving, pretty commonplace and not very fancy. It’s also many a student’s starter car.

There's probably a fair bit of overlap between 'a student away from parents at last' and coming out. Is there a 'gay man car' taking up that share of the market already?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So she's finally being honest about what the jade eggs are for?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's....definitely a marketing move

You know how horror movies have the 'Final Girl'? This is the comedy genre version.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think not even Raid is on the galaxy brain marketing strategy of r/rule34battleborn

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

If it's naturally green, they should see a doctor.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's closest as in physical proximity, because the rave house only really fits 100 but we're really determined, and if they weren't friends nds yet, they're about to be very closely acquainted.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

youtube has figured out i'm a dad and has started showing me videos of dads changing diapers and, good lord, these models take FOREVER. if i lounged around my kid with an open diap like that he'd grab his wanger and start hosing down the got damb bedroom. absurd.

Yeah, but if you wanted realism, the diapers wouldn't be on 30-year-olds playing 18, experimenting at a sleepover.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
He will come to your home every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Fart-free water sounds silly, but gassy water is a real problem in Flint.