Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gatts posted:

Unless it's scripted (like wrestling, HAW!) I'd think whoever is put against Punk if is an existing fighter, I mean like someone on a downswing in career, will have something to prove and go really aggressive on him.

Like how Wrestling politics used to have it that if you got your rear end kicked and didn't prove you were tough, they'd job you out. I wonder if the UFC has something similar of a mindset to see him as a wannabe and will use it to prove a point.

The UFC doesn't give a poo poo about wannabes. They care about money, something that Punk will make them a lot of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

Would that BJJ tournament mobn did make him overqualified to fight Punk?

Turns out Punk just had an ingrown hair. Ban him.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

It might be rushing it for a dude with no MMA experience, but I hope Punk fights before the Reebok deal because I want to see what type of sponsors he can drum up. Maybe he can finally get his Slim Jims deal.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Require More Fire posted:

I hope Punk does very well in the UFC if only because it will make Vince McMahon, HHH, and Ben Askren really angry.

A Sherdog caller claimed that he would rather shoot his own dick off than watch Punk's debut so this whole deal is already worth it.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

david carmichael posted:

for some reason i get the feeling that cm punk is perhaps not the shrewdest negotiator.

He clearly handed WWE their asses in the legal department after his departure (they had no interest in going to court), so he has a very nice lawyer.

He is also tight with Heyman, who was Brock's legitimate agent as far as I know.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Punk needs to train with Black House because Anderson might actually be able to pull off a GTS in a fight.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

The NSAC would push anything through for the Best (Friend) in the World.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Tezzor posted:

That's the whole problem with wrestling. You get hurt like an athlete, but unlike an athlete whether you succeed or fail is only tangentially related with your talent or effort.

Nobody else has "reached for the brass ring." What way is there to even do that? How dare the company that pushed Khali as a main eventer, dicked CM Punk around for years, and had to be forced to let Daniel Bryan be in the main event pretend that this is a meritocracy.

The company is run by a literal crazy person. There is no logic.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Gonzo McFee posted:

Y'all are going to look really stupid when Punk's going on his fifth year of holding all the UFC belts at the same time.

Rousey would probably tap Punk.

To be fair, she'd likely tap a lot of the UFC roster.

Edit: I still think Punk will have to fight a literal can to look good, even though I want him to win and be safe.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

FullLeatherJacket posted:

add to this that Lesnar was never really a guy in WWE who had his own fanbase in the way that CM Punk does

it doesn't matter if he's fighting a literal garbage can, he'll still draw absurd numbers, particularly if they go hog wild on promoting it

CM Punk's fan base is also motivated to show Vince McMahon that they are willing to support Punk financially. His ProWrestlingTees site basically wrecked their website briefly with the number of orders. So not only do you have people conditioned to buying PPVs, but you have the added incentive for some of buying as a mild protest.

Punk's first fight will pop a massive buyrate and Dana White will get a new Bible gun.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Odddzy posted:

Arent' the UFC up to some shenanigans when it comes to picking a winner in some hard to call circumstances though? I'm asking this as a legitimate question. I don't know for sure, but I've heard that at times some decisions were quite disgusting and should'e been given to the the loser even after watching video evidence.

Judges are independent and the UFC has no sway over their oftentimes terrible decisions.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Whoops, double post.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It looks like we know who his opponent is going to be, I don't know a single thing about this dude which is exactly how it should be. Here you go

I knew exactly what it was and clicked anyways. Excited that the non-MMA fans in this thread will get to see some real wrestling.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Bigfoot Cain is actually from San Jose. You can see him once in a blue moon before he disappears for years.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 16, 2014

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Dexters Secret posted:

the fact that cm punk claims to be drug-free is ludicrous to me when one of his tattoos is a clear-cut caffeine endorsement

Aaaaand here is the semi-monthly argument about what straight edge is from people who aren't straight edge.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Yeah, I didn't catch that it was a joke because that argument has happened so many times here without an ounce of humor anywhere in sight.

I hope that the UFC gets Punk custom gloves with Xs on them.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Bundt Cake posted:

Hopefully its all a joke and CM Punk does a clothesline and an elbow drop on the guy who flops and twitches all his limbs when hit and Joe Rogan goes Gotcha

A long con prank on Joe Rogan is the funniest possible outcome, so it will happen.

Goldie will call the whole thing straight because he doesn't know any better. Punk might even hit a Turk to Sleep.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Skip My Posts posted:

He won't be able to get through an actual camp without being injured.....or peer pressured. Both dangerous obstacles

You sure do have an issue with someone's life choices that have no bearing on your life whatsoever.

Pretty apt username too.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Mr. Nice! posted:

Man 100 posts in the CM Punk thread something cool must have happened!

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Except for the one funny rhyming post three pages ago or so.

I had the same reaction. I thought he'd picked a camp.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's going to be so funny when CM Punk wins all his matches by judges decision.

Thankfully all the judges are already blind, so they will pick Pepsi.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Jason Funk posted:

Has there been any fighters turned fake fighters since the handful from when UFC wasn't sissy slapfights?

I mean you had Shamrock, Severn, etc, who crossed over from the UFC back when it was actually entertaining and guys were full on stomping eachother in the adams apple and whatnot before White made it a beta male shadow of it's former self, but has anyone jumped over since?

King Mo's Viacom contract was a dual contract with Bellator and TNA. I don't think he worked a televised match, but he was training and appeared on iMPACT.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Fozzy The Bear posted:

This thread just turned into gold.

Fatherdog sentenced a man to death by suicide

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Ty1990 posted:

I know. Sometimes you gotta let the guys fight a little before you step in like that.

Joe Warren was still standing for Christ's sake!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Dexters Secret posted:

does it really count when you're leaned back against the cage

:thejoke:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Memento posted:

Holy poo poo only five minutes into this round. This whole video is just this fight, isn’t it?

Watching the slow realization of what was happening was the best part of this post. Well done, Memento. May god have mercy on your soul and liver.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

MITB 2011 is proof that Punk would beat a white rapper.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Bubba Smith posted:

When Punk meets Askren on Monday it would be cool if Ben just took him down immediately and refused to let him up, and then explain this is what MMA is all about.

Punk will just tap him with his slick jits :smuggo:

MassRafTer posted:

What was the answer?

YoT is always the answer

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Willie recognizes cxb, so it meets Lorenzo's criterion.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Yuriy posted:

I guess I'm at a loss how any of those things except for the talking bits translate over to mma or him as a person

Yes, because personality plays no part in why we like MMA fighters.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

RIP Fozzy The Bear

He was killed by the Mongols

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

No Brawl for All chat is complete without mentioning that Bart Gunn was expected to put up a fight against Butterbean based on a couple knockouts against people with no legit shoot fighting experience. Things ended as one would assume.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't Daniel Bryan do some training at an MMA gym to make his submission offense look more realistic? I mean other than the "chased guy who robbed his house five blocks and put him in a rear naked choke" thing

He trained at Extreme Couture for a good amount of time.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

RZApublican posted:

He'll fight the one guy that fits both categories at the same time, playa: Dan Quinn

Diet Pepsi vs Coke Life

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

He has the credentials though, he fought the Undertaker in PRIDE in 1979

Large muscle man fights a 14 year old adds up. Are we sure PRIDE wasn't running in 1979? The facts are all there, brother.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

1st AD posted:

lol are wrestling fans actually mad that he left

Really dumb ones who think he owes them something.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Punk's suit game is top 5 in the UFC easily.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

CM Punk is so cool that Dan Quinn shows him respect and just wants to help.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Golden Bee posted:

We're more likely to see Crossbones in the Octagon

I look forward to seeing him shoot on Randy Couture.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Badly mis-scoring a fight is actually an argument in favor of Punk being a legit MMA fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Noted pro wrestling Twitterer now has sources in Roufus Sport. Sure.

• Locked thread