Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gently caress it, bring in Askren for Punk to fight. Or realistically, let Bisping dome him and we get a Joe Rogan replacement.

I love Punk but he really should be thrown to the wolves because thats the best money decision. Unless he gets magically good in several months of training, UFC can only bank on 1 or 2 fights before he's no longer a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CM Punk will be the first person to actually die inside the Octagon. Vince McMahon will sit on his skull throne and tut tut.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Add Jose Canseco to the list of people that called out CM Punk.

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/543448756390084610

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

david carmichael posted:

unless punk has some natural striking talent and power bob sapp would be a hilariously bad matchup for him

I don't think I've seen Sapp throw a punch in like 5 years.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Its gonna be really funny when CM Punk decides this weight cutting stuff is really stupid and decides not to fight.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It'd be different if Punk got roped into the semi worked stuff like Inoki's clusterfuck or some other shoot organization.

All we have to go on are some Gracie Breakdowns and that one time Punk piefaced a fan.

Heck even Daniel Bryan spent some time at Xtreme Couture.

I'm not convinced that Punk isn't going to get starched by some blatant can. Even the Gracie stuff didn't have him avoiding getting punched while doing transitions.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bobtista posted:

A couple of my wrestlebros at work seem to think he's going to get by like Homer in that episode of the Simpsons where he's a boxer due to a lifetime spent taking bumps.

Other than fighting homeless people I'm not sure that comparison is a strong one.

With as much as he's been concussed already, I'm assuming he's probably not going to have a great chin. Punk's got an iffy gas tank too, despite being a runner.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm gonna laugh when they roll out the match as some weird ammy rule set and Punk just trounces the dude.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DAS Super! posted:

Never show this. Ever.

The fight that makes grown men cry

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mr. Nice! posted:

The one positive from that fight is that Hendo can knock someone's tooth out while airborne.

Cormier hitting that ankle pick made one of my friends sob in frustration, it was glorious.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So much potential hilarity here. Whatever happens, I can't wait for the inevitable Podcast Airing of Punk's Grievances.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Detroit_Dogg posted:

That tshirt is really bad

Isn't that one of those Onnit shirts?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gas

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All I want out of this is when Punk gets his rear end kicked in his first UFC fight, Rogan says "Welcome to the UFC, Punk".

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

getting word that Punk won a smoker at roufusport.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lock this thread until Punk actually gets a fight.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bubba Smith posted:

Things that won't happen:

CM Punk becoming a UFC broadcaster

Things that will happen:

CM Punk becoming UFC president

If Dana doesn't learn how to shut his drunken mouth, this could easily happen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

and MMA commentating has suddenly become an elite tier activity. ok.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure that The CM Punk MMA Hour where he does nothing but hang out at Joanna Jedrzejczyk's house and make arts and crafts would still do better ratings than TNA

stuff shown on PSP-tv.com does better ratings than TNA.

Punk could replace Rogan for all I care. Actually, wait. Do this. gently caress Joe Rogan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm trying to work out which is worse: being the guy who gets signed because they think you're bad enough to lose to CM Punk, or being the guy that they've decided is bad enough to lose to the guy bad enough to lose to CM Punk to give him legitimacy.

or be the guy that fucks up all the plans because the MMA gods will is unknowable.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh and cool dumb fact. Mickey Gall's RNC win in his first pro MMA match was held at the 2300 arena. AKA the ECW Arena, a building CM Punk worked quite a few times.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fatherdog posted:

I agree, CM Punk should fight Mark Hunt.

I'd buy this PPV

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Poor AJ Lee having to put up with his whining all the time. Must be miserable.

why do you think he's had so many girlfriends?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

what about Mickey Rourke?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mickey got real quiet when Punk walked over and said a few words.

Just sayin.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Punk has worked for Rob Feinstein, Ian Rotten and Vince McMahon. That's like the Mount Rushmore of awful human beings.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

poo poo or get off the pot, Punk.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CM Punk's white privilege

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dr. rear end posted:

One of this guy coming at me, without hands? Oh my god,

what commission sanctioned that, holy poo poo. If I ok'd that, I'd have nightmares about quad amputees getting kneed into the 3rd row.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chromatic posted:

Just let me roll, bro.

I love the punch at 1:11. It's framed as such that it looks like the fighter is punching a dying turkey. You can almost see his thought process before and after. "Oh gently caress I'm about to punch a grounded man with no arms and legs." *POP* "Oh gently caress I just punched a grounded man with no arms and legs."

How did the guy with no arms or legs ever think he could do anything? Tire him out and then swamp him with stubs? I'm not trying to be insensitive, I just have no idea how the logistics of this is supposed to work.

you could tell the 4limbed fighter is totally stuck in a moral quandary the entire fight. Being known as the guy that beat the absolute dogshit out of a dude with no arms and legs can't be a good career move.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mickie Gall could take 20 tho.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ICHIBAHN posted:

Better heel character than...? Where is Owen's story? Haven't seen it posted

Owens knows exactly how to upset people. It really helps he was married to El Generico (allegedly Sami Zayn in NXT) who is naturally loved by the entire world.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I was surprised when Dana announced Punk's first fight was gonna be a PPV or prelim fight. I figured they'd do a special exhibition match on a TUF show or something.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

JOHN CENA posted:

wwe will probably try way too hard to get mickey gall to do an appearance for them if he beats cm punk

They'll have Jericho beat Mickey Gall in a match just because they can't fire Punk twice.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Getting hit in head for free is not fun.

Punk got his start in IWA-MS so this is totally normal for him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

How many times will Punk's fight be restarted because an attack from full mount stalls out?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Punk's plan:
1 Go 15 minutes with Mickey Gall
2 Judges that night receive extra envelopes
3 Punk gets a split decision.
4 ???
5 title shot!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Losing does not imply credibility loss, jesus woman. No wonder you have your fans rioting in the stands.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

manyak posted:

It kinda does though, look how much people turned on Rousey after her 1 loss when she was the biggest star ever before that

Announcing to the press she couldn't eat apples, was making GBS threads in the woods and wanted Travis Browne's babies didn't help her standing in the eyes of fans.

Ronda's still money. When she goes in against Miesha Tate, people will get excited about it. Easy to follow narrative to get people rooting for either side.

coconono fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

manyak posted:

I agree but thats part of the game, her being so emotionally invested in being undefeatable/the best, and airing out her issues in public is part of why she was really popular to begin with. Plus lets be real people on this site were calling her a dumb oval office who was always bad and stuff the moment she got knocked out, not weeks later when she took an out door poo poo

I just think its true that its harder to promote stars in a sport where losing means getting beaten up and humiliated, with everything that goes along with that

I thought that was a running joke? like when a fighter loses, we're all obligated to point out he/she was always terrible?

I'd agree that its probably hard to get anyone not-Brazilian excited about Jose Aldo right now. But on the flip, those same fans will fly to vegas, and do the whole VIP packages thing.

The mechanics of fight promoting are similar to wrestling and boxing promoting where the wins and losses are just things you use to promote the fight. Good promoting is a combination of name value, match interest and accessibility.

To bring this around to Punk/Gall: If Punk loses, UFC's going to have to work harder to keep interest in Punk*. If Punk wins and its not a decisive/exciting finish, same problem. Punk murders Gall in front of his family, then UFC's biggest problem will be the wait for when Punk's ready to fight again.

*If this happens, gently caress his fight contract and put him in as Rogan's replacement. Other than Julie Kedzie, MMA is really short on fighters that know what its like to get destroyed in the cage. Interesting perspective.

• Locked thread