Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kewpuh posted:

I guess I just don't really see the big deal about that post. The dude obviously tried to make a joke. It's not a funny joke to me, or you, but it's a joke. This post also seems way different than just responding to someone with "kill yourself" repeatedly

kewpuh, friend, please do something about the constant discrimination anime receives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

Oh no, I have committed that mortal internet sin of copy/pasting the horrible things someone else said into an internet thread! Obviously I am cray cray to the max!

A room full of silver haired men speaks in hushed tones, the scent of cigar smoke hanging heavily in the dimly lit room

"This person said...oval office."

Collective gasping

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Widestancer posted:

CoffeeBooze sets up his D&D maesterstroke illuminated by the monitor from his six figgy job
See this is part of the problem. People making stupid attacks against other forum members instead of talking about games. How about this for a rule: If it's not related to games then don't post.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Davincie posted:

kewpuh, friend, please do something about the constant discrimination anime receives

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

nelson posted:

See this is part of the problem. People making stupid attacks against other forum members instead of talking about games. How about this for a rule: If it's not related to games then don't post.

That would be a wonderful rule for the games forum.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

nelson posted:

Surely this has never been tried and failed here

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

nelson posted:

Yeah man, if there's one place we should be taking after, it's GameFAQS.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Does this mean we can bring back the GameFAQs thread?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

There is a forum where you have to respect games and gaming

Guess where it is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Widestancer posted:

There is a forum where you have to respect games and gaming

Guess where it is
neogaf?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Politics is a game does that mean we can discuss I/P in here?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CoffeeBooze posted:

Oh no, I have committed that mortal internet sin of copy/pasting the horrible things someone else said into an internet thread! Obviously I am cray cray to the max!

Dude you are a loving whacko. You have over 40 posts in this thread and youre referring to like a couple of them. Chill the gently caress out and look at yourself.

Anyway with that i am done working through my potential guilt and im going back to making fun of you

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

The thing about the "Zero Tolerance" style of moderation is that it's a huge swing in the other direction. Now you're playing the role of the Forums FCC and you're dinging people for using the list of forbidden words, and determining what the punishment/fine will be each time they do so. At some point you're going to hit someone that was clearly doing it as a joke, and it was actually funny, but hey rules are rules and you have to hit them and now you've got a bunch of angry posts headed your way.

Alternatively being the joke judge isn't a whole lot of fun either, so it's best to just see if someone is being disruptive enough to warrant a punishment. Like Kewpuh said, a lot of the time everything has gone back to normal once someone has taken a look at the report and it's almost pointless to punish in a busy subforum like this. That may not be the case in a subforum that doesn't have anywhere near the traffic this does, which is why it might be handled differently elsewhere.

Obviously I'm not a Games mod, so nothing I'm saying really matters, it's just my opinion, blah blah blah.

Middle class white male gamer here to tell you that drinking bleach is never funny even when the duck says it in a search bar

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

CoffeeBooze might just be the avatar of Games given flesh.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

zen death robot posted:

The thing about the "Zero Tolerance" style of moderation is that it's a huge swing in the other direction. Now you're playing the role of the Forums FCC and you're dinging people for using the list of forbidden words, and determining what the punishment/fine will be each time they do so. At some point you're going to hit someone that was clearly doing it as a joke, and it was actually funny, but hey rules are rules and you have to hit them and now you've got a bunch of angry posts headed your way.

I am trying to think of a situation where calling someone a human being and telling them to kill themselves is a funny joke. I cant think of any though.

Some pretty basic stuff just isn't going to be funny to anyone outside of Stormfront. Dinging people for going into that territory should be pretty simple.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am trying to think of a situation where calling someone a human being and telling them to kill themselves is a funny joke. I cant think of any though.

Some pretty basic stuff just isn't going to be funny to anyone outside of Stormfront. Dinging people for going into that territory should be pretty simple.

You really did get pissed about that thread lol.

You're a loving retard.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It's me I'm the Asian chick Stormfront plant

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ethanol posted:

believe me I know it's problematic and I hope I get probated for saying human being you loving human being mods because it would make the circle jerk complete

ethanol posted:

honestly I don't know what's up with the mods of games being completely inept lately, but you guys seem to be enjoying it. so here's to you loving friend of the family faggots

ethanol posted:

if people are going to call this a meltdown, I figure I might as well make it a real meltdown for me too and loving call out the pussy rear end mods

ethanol posted:

i start to cool down and then this loving human being POSTS A GIF GOD drat IT

like I know that's the xbone thread and all that but also at the same time that is someone just shouting slurs for no reason and I think in those cases something should happen personally well anyway bye

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Widestancer posted:

I challenge CoffeeBooze to Smash Brothers on the Wii U

I just got home and spent a cool half hour catching up on this thread and this is all that pissed me off. You mean to tell me all this time you have had a Wii U gamecube adapter and didn't tell me?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

like I know that's the xbone thread and all that but also at the same time that is someone just shouting slurs for no reason and I think in those cases something should happen personally well anyway bye

That guys brain broke a long time ago and he became what he hated.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Stux posted:

BAN 12/10/14 05:28pm ethanol Mod Sass.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Widestancer posted:

That guys brain broke a long time ago and he became what he hated.

yeah and meltdowns are great but int hat kind of example especially outside of any "no rules" threads where it's just a dude shouting slurs for no reason I think that crosses a line. even in joke threads really if I'm honest but I realize how upset some people will get if they can't throw slurs about for whatever reason

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

yeah and meltdowns are great but int hat kind of example especially outside of any "no rules" threads where it's just a dude shouting slurs for no reason I think that crosses a line. even in joke threads really if I'm honest but I realize how upset some people will get if they can't throw slurs about for whatever reason

Ethanol needs a break.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

CoffeeBooze posted:

Man, I even sort of agree with you that I don't care for the tone the forum has taken. But at some point, you got to realize that the problem is what you want out of this forum. As much as I might have appreciated Zero Tolerance, it must be an absolute nightmare to moderate.

The only thing I've had to do is just ignore a lot more people. And by that I mean the act of just ignoring it and moving on (not the ignore button). You can also post less, or spend less time in the Games forum if you really don't like the tone.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i get extremely cranky when i cant say human being on the internet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you legitimately, like really, feel something is out of line then like send a mod a PM or report it. For the most part a lot of rules and poo poo aren't needed because whatever is wrong just fizzles out.

like ethanol, I can see reporting that

just dont report a bunch of dumb stuff or kewpuh will probably post it for everyone to laugh at

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

3 mmo hmo threads got poo poo on like a month or two ago

That's like the whole forum

It's a Stormfront invasion

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I promise to report any actual Stormfront type posting activity I see if that will help any.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Widestancer posted:

Ethanol needs a break.

Which he apparently got so forums success?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Coolguye posted:

Which he apparently got so forums success?

huh?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Stormfront Posting Standards. That has a nice ring to it too :shobon:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

:ssh:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This is basically the imp zone offsite where we all hang out

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oh I misread that ban post and im on mobile which cant check the leper colony

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Oh I misread that ban post and im on mobile which cant check the leper colony

Man being banned sucks, let me tell you!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pisssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

please don't ban ethanol. Him and crafty have a good split shift arranged so there is always an audience for whatever bad news is currently breaking about the fate and fortune of the xbox one.

• Locked thread