Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's weird. The trailer freely admitted that, to a certain extent, the seasons are a sham by showing that they're reusing animations for ice/roller skating and jumping on puddles/leaves/sprinklers.

But I'm sure we'll have sunburn moodlets, so we got that going for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Buy physical copies, redeem on both.

Also the only way you can get the Katy Perry pack, which you know you need.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Plastic Pal posted:

Is City Life any good? I'm trying to decide whether to get that or Get To Work next.

Both sound cruel in this world where we can neither get to work or go out to the city.

I just have Get to Work, but I have a feeling I'm going to get every pack I missed sometime in the near future.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s a game that I’ll suddenly remember exists once every year or two, fire it up to mess around for a little bit, then get hardcore addicted for two weeks before forgetting about it again until next year

Honestly, that's every Sims game for me.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Do they still not have bunk beds?

They have murphy beds that you can't use because they'll kill you!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This would have been great for me 5 years ago.

Well, maybe it'll bring trap some new schmucks into sleepless nights.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JGKbW-jSPk

2020 is a wild ride.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Zutaten posted:

Did anyone actually watch the first episode of Spark'd? It was really bad, in that sort of trainwrecky way that kept me watching. Also half the contestants were dressed like randomly generated Sims, so it was very on brand.

I watched the first half of it. I'll probably finish the rest tonight. Then I'll be committed to the trainwreck.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Last episode of that Spark'd show dropped yesterday. In a final summation, the few streamers that I knew beforehand, were terrible because all their energy was sucked out of them from being in a new, awkward, terrible situation. Most of the streamers I didn't know, I now actively hate. One of the ones I didn't know about seemed pretty cool, might check out some of their videos.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

The game glitches and the lightsaber remains stuck to your sim's hand like kittens and puppies did in TS3, so your sim just leaves a trail of destruction in their wake

Oh, Sims 3. Imagine a lightsaber duel with this bad boy.

Or this.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Remind me. Is banging Drew Carey canon?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My shameful secret is that I own nearly all of the lovely Sims 3 store crap, at least the stuff that provides new content/interactions. I didn't pay for the Sims Points though. I just wasted my afternoons watching ads to earn them.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ranked, competitive Sims is everything I ever wanted. So you all on the leaderboard for the 100 baby challenge.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

A good DLC would be a micro-sellable genetics in create a sim, so like elf ears would be 25 cents, BUT they could be inheritable so a metagame would be finding dlc genetics you could bang into your household and seeing if you could get them all for free.

"I spent 10 hours yesterday grinding elves!"

"Did you mean grinding for elf ears?"

"I know what I said."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ruflux posted:

So this is new, somebody made a smooth patch for Sims 3.

Doesn't really sound like much, does it? Just upping the tickrate on the UI. But holy loving poo poo it completely changes the game. CAS loads fast and runs smooth no matter what you play around with. Build-buy opens up quickly and works properly. The UI is responsive and doesn't lag. Even the loving game camera is finally responsive and smooth and fast! It's a huge QoL improvement from my testing and basically takes the Sims 3 user experience from garbage straight to much better than Sims 4, which used to be top dog for this but these days I find has massive delays in opening up pie menus, switching sims or pausing the game.

I'm honestly stunned that a mod that's this huge for game playability can happen nearly 11 years after the game itself launched, finally resolving a massive problem that wasn't necessarily even recognized as a specific problem, merely generally poor performance. And I mean, it's no wonder since the default tickrate is 30 per second and this takes it to 500 or optionally 1000 if you want to squeeze more performance out of it. That's a huge leap.

Here's an imgur gallery with a couple of gifs demonstrating it, but it's really one of those "you have to try it yourself to see the difference" things.

Does it let me run Sims 3 with all expansions without a supercomputer? Or does more ticks per second mean I need an even more super supercomputer?

Sims 3 is seriously at the top of my list of games to play once I build a really nice gaming rig.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sims in 3 will chat while doing certain actions, but the situations are pretty niche and limited. Like, 2 sims eating dinner at the same table will chat, but one sims eating and another sim idling won't, unless you specifically make them.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEi9FFZhqn0

LGR guides helped me when I was looking for DLC

Seasons is always a good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3SyvwwXZzU

here's what I used to look for good mods

I liked when LGR was left a broken husk of a man after the Star Wars expansion, and it really seemed like he might stop reviewing Sims all together. It was very engaging stuff.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

The martial arts stuff in TS3: Vacations was badass, some fun animations there.

I had World Adventures loaded in my latest play through and it was great when adventuring, but miserable in the home world. Too many goddamn tourists.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

what's funny about sims 4 is that the marketing pre-release really hyped out the wacky shenangians sims could get up to and how much personality they would when the reality is nobody will do anything on their own without any kind of input or pushing and leaving sims to do their own thing has never been more boring, on top of every sim basically acting the same regardless of how their personality traits were aligned

bring back the personality meters from 1+2, imo

They also really hyped the ability to die from laughter and such, and from the get-go that sounded like something that would be anti-fun.

I couldn't tell if I didn't get it, or if they didn't get it, but it was an immediate, confusing turnoff.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Idk I tried loading 3 up awhile ago with only 4 packs going and it still took forever.

If you're on a solid state drive loading should not be an issue. You should to be able to eke out 2 generations of Sims 3 before the jank starts piling up.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sims 3 University would be essential, since that's the one with the roommate system, unless they put that in the base game with a free patch when I wasn't looking.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hard mode in Sims 3 is not taking the reward that stops friendship decay.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For some reason I have it in my head that Cities XL was a part of that series, but no, it's just it's own thing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It looks more like a zoomed in real time strategy game than it does a Sims-like. I don't know. The vibe is just off.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I would do it.

Also, technically that isn't all of the DLC and you will never play Katy Perry's Sweet Treats.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

At the very least, you probably want to make sure it's not running at infinite FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I didn't even realize "Kits" were a thing.

I guess even Stuff Packs were too much effort to make to round out their launch calendar. Gotta make an even slimmer tier so there's always something new.