Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I was talking to a co-worker (we are in the bay yearea but have none of the perks other companies offer other than high pay) who was bitching about the lack of free poo poo.

I told him he should be lucky we even offer a shuttle. I came from the east coast where you'd get laughed the gently caress out of the state if you worked at a large corp there (like Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, Northrup Grumman, etc) and complained about the lack of a shuttle.

Some day those free shuttles will go away because investors will start questioning why google needs to subsidize 20/30 yo's living in the city lifestyles at the expense of their dividend and MAN I can't wait to read that bitchin at Google+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

we encountered this when we moved here. Only a handful of places would take our dog (Chow Chow/GSD mix). Even places that said 'we accept dogs' wouldn't take him because of breed (and he's 51lbs).

We eventually found a complex. But those complexes are cuh-razy with the rent increases. Like, 14% a year (from $1,900 when we moved in to $2,600 when we moved out 2.5 years later). I wrote a script for CL that would search for places that allowed pets, and then eliminated all the lovely complexes in the area that are always advertising on CL and we got this kickass townhouse where the landlord was like 'lemme meet that dog' and 'ok he looks cool' and we don't pay any extra or nothing.

He *was* actually trained by my wife at the local humaine society to be a support dog for the local hospital program they have

Proof: my son giving him blocks to eat

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

nice

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

I work in an office where someone complained that someone elses perfume was bothering her. I can't even imagine what vitriol dogs would bring (from cat people).

'Bloo bloo, Jim can bring his dog but I can't bring any of my 4 cats'

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

some people really wear offensive amounts of perfume

quote:

Olfactory fatigue, also known as odor fatigue or olfactory adaptation, is the temporary, normal inability to distinguish a particular odor after a prolonged exposure to that airborne compound.[1] For example, when entering a restaurant initially the odor of food is often perceived as being very strong, but after time the awareness of the odor normally fades to the point where the smell is not perceptible or is much weaker. After leaving the area of high odor, the sensitivity is restored with time. Perfume counters will often have containers of coffee beans which tend to "reset" olfaction. Anosmia is the permanent loss of the sense of smell, and is different from olfactory fatigue.

It's also why my smelly dog doesn't stink to me

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

:allears: zillow lawsuit :allears:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

I dunno, i think it sounds like a great idea. I don't have to hear them talking about how disruptive they are and how smart they are when trying to eat lunch or get a coffee.

Also, the reason you have no common social place to meet up in SV is because SV is a commercial/subburban poo poo hole that involves driving ANYWHERE and nerds are both asocial and lazy.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

waddup ma t-words

also, Clifford Stoll was proto-yospos. If YOSPOS had someone be the first, its him.

poo poo, after the cuckoos egg he wrote a whole book (Silicon Snake Oil) basically telling everyone how lovely the internet was and to just go outside. But not like an 'I don't get how this works' thing. He was actually immersed in the internet, the culture at the time in 'cyberspace (just basically The Well)' and all that.

There's a whole chapter talking about how 'Colossal Cave Adventure' was a colossal waste of time and that nerds should be spelunking for real.

:allears:

my english teacher made me read that for extra credit cause I finished our assigned book in a weekend (it was enders game, that was a the first 'good' assigned book i'd ever read) and I was all 'the internet is the future' and basically on my way to full internet evangelist. I hated the book at the time and disagreed with it until about halfway through when teenage me was like 'hey, YA! Why am I causing netsplits and looking for banks on datapac all the time when I could be going to parties my friends are throwing and drinking/smoking/skiing/biking'.

What I'm saying is thanks Stoll for being a cool proto-yospos poster.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

vapid cutlery posted:

i was not constructed to withstand heat

fatty

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

1000x Programmer! :colbert:

here's what I don't get. If they are so good, why do they have to be here? I can understand if they're amazing car designers, they gotta work with those life sized clay models in the office. Or maybe even the worlds best sales guys (cause they gotta be on site), maybe even great management.

But when you're hiring developers why do they need to be in your drat office? If india has such great programmers, open up an office there to hire your 1000 developers and keep immigration for one-offs.

I will say, I often get off the 'developers' floor here at 'large financial firm' in the bay area and it's like stepping off the plane in Bangalore. Those guys are paid poo poo. The average for a software developer is ₹400,000. That's $6,600 a year and firms here (cause they're mostly contractors) pay them poo poo. It's all about makin the shittiest software for the cheapest dollar.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

I have :rolleyes: Big 4 :rolleyes: experience so I get recruiters hitting me up all the time from the other Big 4 / Smaller firms

I usually reply with a template email that goes:

StupidEmail posted:

Hey! Thanks for the interest in my resume and my skills background. I looked at the profile* and it looks like I'd be a perfect match. Before we go too far I'd like to let you know that I have some expectations with this role being offered:

1) $200,000 a year salary + bonus. This would be the base salary. I'd be willing to negotiate 5% of this number.
2) 4+ weeks vacations time, not including sick time
3) Over time for hours worked outside of 40-45 hours a week

These expectation are commensurate with my current role should I seek upward advancement**.

I look forward to hearing from you!

So far only one has bitten but then they just ignored what I asked for and made a seriously low-ball offer that I turned down out of principle.

* I haven't even looked at that stupid link you sent me.
** Not even close but you ask for a lot and see what you can get

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

well, I have started including Wu Tang lyrics in my hacking scripts as easter eggs/hidden because I'm olds and like both Wu Tang and lovely kung fu movies.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

ADINSX posted:

I used to write software for the Navy as a contractor (well, sub contractor). While out at FNMOC I attended the XO's briefing, sort of on a lark none of it really mattered to me but I was curious how they were using our software (poorly).

One of the bullets in the briefing was a girl giving him a rundown of the local weather for that day. I like to think that was her only job, watching the weather report in the morning and parroting it back to this dude.

otherwise known as a 'weather girl'

I worked for a few tv networks fresh outta school. Sometimes the internet would fail and I'd have a hysterical weather girl yelling at me to get the internet working because she wouldn't be able to do the weather without it.

Turns out they just look it up from theweatherchannel.ca and tell the chyron dude what to put where.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Uber is a lovely company. Lyft on the other hand, they're ok.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

I know the perfect guy to post in this thread.

- works for a startup doing something nobody knows. talks about startup culture and drinking beers at work.
- makes a little more than the average person (about 50-60), talks about how baller and rich he is: "do you like this coffee table it cost $3000 but I can afford it)
- bought a 2br condo in telus gardens, but they paid extra so they wouldn't have to be near other people who had 2br places "because I don't want to be with the poor people". his parents paid for the down payment.
- lives paycheque to paycheque. would rather spend the few hundred dollars extra every month rather than paying off student loan debt. min pays credit cards.
- leases a tesla. the 65. only has a new driver permit, the kind you get when you are 17. he's almost 30.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? That's a shameful salary.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

qirex posted:

now someone map this against diversity numbers

what the poo poo? My company doesn't offer a free daycare.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

As the magic wizard beardos that every bank keeps close to their chests die off, so will COBOL a bit.

it wont go away overnight but its advocates will stop pushing cobol and start pushing daisies

is this you?

In 1991, technology writer Alsop wrote, “I predict that the last mainframe will be unplugged on 15 March 1996. In 2002, he admitted he was wrong."

This is never going away:

and I'm making loving bank because of it, gently caress yeah

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

daft punk railroad posted:

i've said it before but back during my brief stint as a mainframe code janitor i kind of developed a genuine affinity for the ISPF editor

i'd definitely never go back to using it for its intended purpose though

boy are you in luck, they made one for windows:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

take it over to GBS or something. all your american schools are poo poo anyway, designed to get idiots to way overpay for school. Enjoy your crippling debt for life while bragging you went to <<for profit school>>

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

prefect posted:

[moderate famous person] went to [school no one cares about but you]

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

qirex posted:

patent holding company RPX Corp. bought the company’s patents;

and thats the death of anyone, ever, trying it again even if they changed the rules.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cities can be pretty good, environmentally. high population densities reduce emissions

would be more accurate to say all of palo alto and santa clara should take the long walk off the short pier. an average person in sf city limits is probably doing pretty good

Lol.

"Filling in all those swamps with in fill and putting up buildings full of lead paint is quite environmentally sound because..."

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Soricidus posted:

we have a neat thing in my city, it's like uber but for taxis

But then I'd be driven by a minority

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

hipster rv parks. ironic dive bar on the corner, whole foods within walking distance. fast internet, laundry service, dispensary down the street.

no joke, this would work in Austin. Have an 'community review board' like they have for co-ops so you have to interview before you can park your R.V. there (only the hipsters are allowed, not for real poors).

also, all my Chinese friends are super racists, even to other chinese but especially to black people. Thanks US media!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

eschaton posted:

on the other end of the Peninsula (Campbell) we have NIMBY idiots freaking out about 4+ story apartment buildings and plans for building 900 new housing units through 2020 just ruining their beautiful suburbia because "they didn't want to live in the city."

Foster City is struggling with this. My friends bitch about the cost of a house there (lol 1.2 million for a two bedroom townhouse) but because the schools are so great here, and there was some undeveloped land everyone is building dense as gently caress housing (gotta get top dolla).

So everyone is bitching because the schools are overcrowded because the only reason THEY bought was because the schools were good and their kids are getting bused out to shittier schools.

Also, my wife was REALLY keen on buying a house on the penisula until we watched the only season of Holmes on Homes on netflix. Now she looks at the year the house was built and she goes 'what the gently caress, there's no way that home from 1943, asking 850,000, has anything good left, unless they gutted it but they're not going to sell to someone who asks to see permits'.

Friend of mine just pulled out of a place near walnut creek because the inspector found all kinds of problems with the 1950s house plumbing and asbestos in the crawlspace, etc. They found another house on the same street, open house this past sunday, they toured on teusday, their agent told them the house already had three offers, one was an as-is offer (no inspection, no nothing) and another was $100,000 over asking price.

We loving need zorin to cause that superquake + flooding + another dotbomb so I can afford a place for my family.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

You can eliminate steps 5-7 by using their scanned mail to steal their identities and underpay people in India to telecommute and make it seem like they never died and are simply very happy in their new apartment. Use the remaining amounts in their bank accounts to fund research on expert systems to accomplish this purpose, and eventually you will have autonomous AI collective highrise tombs pretending to be immortal and very satisfied tech bros

this sounds like a PKD novel

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

rjmccall posted:

the as-is and cash-offers buying culture seems to be everywhere within thirty minutes of the south bay. thankfully when we were looking it hadn't gotten to SF yet. tactically low asking prices were/are the norm, so we still paid about $my_parents_house over the asking price (exactly matching another offer) and didn't have a ton of negotiating leverage, but the idea of buying a house as-is is just ridiculous to me. i guess worst case you estimate the cost of rebuilding from scratch and make a risk/reward judgment

on that Holmes show, one of the houses basically had $150,000 worth of work done do it just to bring it up to code. Then you see places like Hoodwinked House. Now my wife only want to buy a place built within the last ten years but LOL I don't have $200,000 cash for a down payment on a house. prolly gonna rent for lyfe until we get fed up and move to concord or convince work to let me move to LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iILCSKkPxfM

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 21, 2015

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

ftl is a really great game

Truth

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

qirex posted:

remember these guys?

Mattrick fails upwards again

basically, never hire Microsoft execs to do anything at your company but ESPECIALLY if they worked at EA (just ask Visa how thats going)

edit: dang

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

lol "driver partners"

gotta keep that legal distinction

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

they must have passed some law in the past few years because this poo poo is all over the pittsburgh suburbs, and here's one in Reading PA http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore_201111.html

green space

wtf america, why don't you have sidewalks ANYWHERE?

Oh, cause you're fat and gross and don't walk anywhere

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

if youre building a community away from the city for the sole purpose of not having to see poors except when you drive to your job in the city, sidewalks seem like one of those money-saving corners you can cut because everyone living there is expected to have a car anyway

I guess dog owners just walk on the street and where are you supposed to stroll with your child?

edit:

LOL eat poo poo poors:

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 10, 2015

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Enderzero posted:

you drive to the mall and you stroll there like a good suburbanite. no not that mall, that one is the ethnic mall now

well, I guess people who don't need no dang sidewalks are the same type who just let their dog out in their backyard for 'excercise'.

Look at this amazing "community": https://www.google.com/maps/@42.985242,-78.691098,3a,75y,243.76h,84.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGJImqJqeUk2Rqy54HO_KOA!2e0

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

quote:

Architecture Report – Craig Walling in Ed Russell’s absence presented a room addition submitted by
David and Robyn Fonk [7547 W. Libby] with the required 4 signatures from surrounding homeowners.
Craig will go over the proposal with Ed and get back to the Board with the Architecture Committee’s
recommendation.

Craig also presented Mr. Davies’ proposal to split Lot 25 and Lot 26 on Villa Theresa.
Mr. Davies wants to remove the middle garage and disconnect his home on Lot 25 from the RV garage on
Lot 26 and sell Lot 26 as a separate Lot. By removing the middle garage and leaving only an RV garage
on Lot 26 this immediately makes Lot 26 out of compliance according to the CC&Rs. The necessary 4
signatures required from surrounding homeowners were not available. This proposal was put on hold
until Mr. Davies can provide more information and the required signatures to the Architecture Committee.
Due to time constraints Mr. Davies has claimed because of a sale of Lot 26 that is supposed to close on
April 7th, the Board said they would call a Special Board meeting after he provides the necessary
paperwork so it can be reviewed by the Board and Architectural Committee in further detail.

Mr. Klepke spoke to the Board regarding the fact that he has already erected a temporary structure as a
cover for his boat and trailer without approval from the Architectural Committee and Board. He said he
did not realize there was an HOA Architectural Committee review requirement although he has been
paying dues for several years. He has received a Notice of Violation from the HOA Management
Company. Mr. Klepke brought additional information, pictures of his home, pictures of other structures
in the neighborhood that are erected, and 27 signatures of various homeowners approving his cover, etc.
Mr. Klepke stated that he realizes that he erected the structure without approval but would like guidance
from the Architectural Committee and Board on how he can modify the structure in order to receive
approval. Mr. Klepke stated the current structure’s dimensions are adjustable, up/down, narrower and
that the cover can be upgraded to a nicer fabric instead of the cheap tarp it currently has. The Board
stated that they will postpone enforcing the cease and desist letter he received from the Management
Company in order to review the situation further with him. Further discussion will follow.

never buy a home with an HOA. Townhouse, maybe, house, never.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

anyway, silicon valley was great and you should be discussing that, or the other poo poo going on in the valley and not trains you spergs.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

max zorin was right

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

not really clock in per se but you know what I mean.

be working, etc. not like actually using a time sheet system

lol if you didn't just make poo poo up on time sheets:

48.6 hours on client A
2.4 hours "training"

or when you're a manager and 'worked from home most of the week'

20 hours client A
12 hours client B
4 hours 'team building'
8 hours 'required CPE'

eitherway the reality was always:
32 hours on SomethingAwful forums
8 hours making a spreadsheet
30 minutes on timesheet

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Lamont Cranston posted:

yospos counts as professional development

if someone gets YOSPOS certified as CISSP cpes I'll be set 4 lyfe.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

when working with HR be honest about your salary but tell them what you expect as a salary range, using your absolute, awesome, gently caress you got mine, money as the bottom of that range. If they give you some bullshit about how 'oh well we have a policy we can only do 20%' tell them you're not interested in the role then and thank them for their time then, cause that's made up bullshit.

also, if HR comes back and makes an offer too low, just push back. If they keep pushing it ask for a call with HR and the hiring manager. At large enterprises HR is usually doing poo poo on their own and the actual hiring manager has no clue they might lose you as a candidate because you wanted $5,000 more a year.

we had people here talk to us later tell us that HR wouldn't give them $3,000 more a year because the title of the job in the job description had a salary range cap. We were never told and were told that the guy wanted way more money than the position offered. To change the title in the job desc woulda taken two seconds:

Software Engineer 2 3

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

qirex posted:

hiring processes are frequently not sane

HR's job is to screen candidates and save the company money

They get a salary range and are told to keep it low, so they get told "the range is 100,000 to 115,000'. So they offer 100,000, and *MIGHT* be nice and offer 105,000. They generally get a 15% range they can play in, but their job is to gently caress you on salary.

Also, salary is only one thing, you should look at total compensation. HR is like a car dealer "ok, we'll give you that 115,000 you wanted but we had to lower your bonus target from 10 to 5%" or other poo poo like that.

You need to know what your total compensation is from salary, stock options, bonus targets, healthcare/dental and argue knowing exactly what you make.

When I got this job we were going to have to be on COBRA for a month. As a family it was going to be about $2,500 for the month. So I asked for a $3,500 signing bonus to cover that. HR hummed and hawwed and I told them to talk to the hiring manager. Then I get a call later that day saying they spoke with the hiring manager and wanted to let me know that I had 60 days to file for cobra payments and that I might not even need to pay it. To which I replied that I have a 3 year old and my wife had had cancer. She then told me the signing bonus was approved for $3,500. See, she was trying to get me to say 'oh maybe I won't need the money' before telling me whether or not the signing bonus was approved.

Always know that HR is only looking out for the company and not you.

• Locked thread