Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
only dirty communists discuss their salaries with coworkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
honestly if I could just pay some "pet rent" or whatever and get a dog I'd do it because the only places around here that allow pets are shady loving dives or come at such a premium that you might as well be paying pet rent anyway. gently caress it i'll do a pet resume and a pet cover letter and a pet whiteboard coding session too.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i yearn for a day when we are all uber drivers of our own destinies

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that post is pretty funny because he gets flirts so close to advocating for essentially communism and then veers off and claims that our wonderful future utopia is going to be brought about by a system in which people's employment is even less secure and more exploitative.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

reminder: the us military is the largest corporate welfare program in america

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

any lane that pisses off the ruling class is ok by me

bike lanes are really, really good at this.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

i saw ads for random "saga" games and some random civ type games on TV when I was at my parents' house for Christmas and it was so confusing. is there any particular reason why the freemium app market hasn't imploded yet?

these types of games are all starting to advertise during football playoffs too and i wonder the same thing. there are a lot of whales out there i guess :shrug:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
buses are really good and it's a drat shame that so many people and even supposed transit "advocates" are dead set against them. there is a large group here that wants to spend $1 billion on LRT that would serve only a tiny, tiny amount of people when the same amount of money could develop BRT that would serve every friggin' exurb on the peninsula and then some.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the written test in my home province was so hilariously easy (all multiple choice with one obvious answer sandwiched between outrageously illegal answers) and people still failed it with regularity. it was an easy way to spot huge huge retards, especially the people who failed it multiple times.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
and when i converted my newfoundland license to a BC license they asked one question (verbally) which was "what does a blinking green light mean" and I said "i don't know be prepared to stop I guess?" and they said literally "close enough" and gave me my license.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

teen bear posted:

blinking green in ontario means you have right of way to turn left but in BC it means the green won't change until a pedestrian pushes the button. definitely not confusing at all lol

blinking green for advanced left turn is retarded.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
A Hahaha software craftsmanship evangelist lmbo. of course the dude is an angular Dev too of course.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
rofl at trying to be a silicon valley baller on Vancouver wages. aha I make $60k a year in one of the most expensive and intellectually b ankrupt cities in north america, suck it poors! wages are higher in victoria ffs.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
sure it does it's just sexual assault vr duh.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i went back home to vancouver over christmas this year and it is preppy as gently caress (treppy as gently caress) i was quite blown away. lots of nice looking people tho compared to seattle.

i really have no clue how the 30% of people you recall from highschool that don't really make it anywhere are surviving.

people here (in victoria at least) are very very good looking, but it's all a mirage because they're all 20-22 and get the gently caress outta dodge once they finish school. being a student here must be pretty good tho.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i've only heard of tunney in the periphery for the most part haven't given a poo poo

quote:

In 2014, Tunney petitioned the US government on We the People to hold a referendum[16] asking for support to retire all government employees with full pensions, transfer administrative authority to the technology industry, and appoint Google CEO, Eric Schmidt as CEO of America.[17] Tunney works as a software engineer at Google. The petition expired because it failed to meet We The People's signature threshold.[18]

lol is she for real or an elaborate troll?

quote:

Mr Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google, would lead a government "more prepared for change" staffed by the US technology industry, according to Ms Tunney.
"It's because I'm a Googler, I'm familiar with Eric Schmidt being very good at running a successful organisation. He was responsible for building Google, which is a benevolent corporation that's making the world a better place," she told the Telegraph.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i have the opposite of the "no where are you REALLY from" problem because when i tell people where I'm from they're really disappointed i don't have a funny accent.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

in canada the proper address for a supreme court justice is Jolly Old

beverly mclachlin :swoon:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
getting rid of the penny is literally the only positive thing our current government has done.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

this could all be solved if they'd just legalize mowing down jaywalkers

lol it's already de-facto legal. tragic accidents happen all the time after all, nothing anybody can do to stop it.

http://cironline.org/reports/bay-area-drivers-who-kill-pedestrians-rarely-face-punishment-analysis-finds-4420 posted:

Sixty percent of the 238 motorists found to be at fault or suspected of a crime faced no criminal charges during the five-year period, CIR found in its analysis of thousands of pages of police and court records from Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco counties.

When drivers did face criminal charges, punishment often was light. Licenses rarely were taken away. Of those charged, less than 60 percent had their driving privileges suspended or revoked for even one day, an automatic penalty in drunk driving arrests.

Forty percent of those convicted faced no more than a day in jail; 13 drivers were jailed for more than a year. By contrast, those charged in accidental shootings often serve lengthy jail terms, according to media reports.

https://www.raisethehammer.org/article/1809/kill_a_pedestrian_pay_a_$500_fine

leftist heap fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 1, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
dur quote isn't edit

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

As a Millennial I posted:

what the hell is ello

Ello Manifesto

Your social network is owned by advertisers.

Every post you share, every friend you make, and every link you follow is tracked, recorded, and converted into data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the product that’s bought and sold.

We believe there is a better way. We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity, and transparency. We believe that the people who make things and the people who use them should be in partnership.

We believe a social network can be a tool for empowerment. Not a tool to deceive, coerce, and manipulate — but a place to connect, create, and celebrate life.

You are not a product.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
charging more for the olds is pretty genius for a number of reasons

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Meanwhile, others came to Shaikh’s defense in the comments section, saying they were inspired by his message.

"This is one the REALEST posts I have ever read," wrote one commenter. "Man, it jumped up and grabbed me by the throat and forced me to listen. I am not surprised it sparked some animosity to those being called out as the culprits endorsing a passionLESS existence. It seems to me, after working 40 years in the Education industry, that many of the teachers and administrators – while well-intentioned – are bitter and stale."

loooool "others"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
so what is the cutoff average rating for uber drivers?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
is it really so hard to get a regular cab in big cities? i just call a regular cab and it shows up.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Greatbacon posted:

It's like Uber, but for hamburgers:

http://www.betaburger.co/our-story/

lol, that is some cargo cult poo poo right there.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lmao at glenn beck praising the tech bubel.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
uh, how disruptive could it really be if it's already legal?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
pretty sure that most people's retarded transit complaints are always blown entirely out of proportion and scale. like, one time dude was eating some smelly chips == omg the bus ALWAYS smells like salt and vinegar chips I hate it so much I have to drive.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

THC posted:

i take transit every day dog

and your biggest pet peeve is smelly chips. how often are there really smelly chips on the bus. like, 1 ride out of 100?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

look at this heinous bullshit
https://www.pomello.com/
culture fit as a service

lol. lack of diversity as a service.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Holy lol at american health care.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
how long before we see TV ads claiming that for just a $1 a day we can help a poor American child get running water and a primary school education?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
like seriously, can we adopt american babies to save them from their horrible country?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
what if the baby is a poor?? surely there is a discount.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

http://blog.samaltman.com/bubble-talk

lol sam altman is a tool even if he's saying what any tech vc would likely say

sam altman is such a huge piece of garbage. the dude is the walking loving epitome of born on third base. gently caress him. i have a special hatred for that retard.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Marzzle posted:

i mean i am sorta starting to turn in the direction of some "high performance" type of stuff in what i guess you'd call computational biology or bioinformatics or whatever since thats what my background is in and it seems like the fast stuff is usually in c++ but i sorta feel like being able to work with computers and biology at the same time might just be a pipe dream and the world only wanted people to grind out insurance or financial or whatever the usa is supposed to be doing software (presently 1099 stuff like uber just literally creating jobs so horrible you have to "long tail" the labor force to eke a profit and skirt the oppressive minimum wage and obama care laws that keep you from making poors take out loans to finance your poo poo company)

there is more to the world than working in insurance or big garbage baby bubble crap.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

learn a popular/important language that's still going to be popular eight years from now (so java or some flavor of c, basically), and then either move to california, get yourself balls-deep in some open source garbage poo poo, or start learning how to lie on your resume, because entry-level programming jobs don't exist east of the valley. decent programming jobs exist everywhere but only the very heart of the bubble is so desperate for programmers that they'll give those jobs to basically any white or asian male who can pronounce the word "code". in the actually civilized parts of the us, you need to be able to show or fake a couple years of real-world experience

oh yeah, and if you're not a white male then go change your loving major right now, women and minorities get a hella raw deal in tech right now

that doesn't sound true at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that sounds better than the alt IMO.

• Locked thread