Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Elder Postsman posted:

dang how do i get in on this scam

p sure step 1 is move to SF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Blodget peppered Bezos with questions about why Amazon is “famously frugal” and doesn’t match the type of employee perks that other high-profile tech companies offer — there are no free lunches at Amazon cafeterias, for example, and the cash components of employee salaries are often well below those of top competitors.

Bezos argued that Amazon has its own “very significant benefits.” One is Amazon’s location in the city of Seattle, instead of a suburban campus. That allows 20 percent of employees to walk to work.

Then there are the food trucks. “We have an unbelievable food truck scene around our headquarters,” he said. “It’s out of control, actually.” Amazon also allows employees to bring their dogs to work. But the real showstopper may be office windows that open, Bezos said. You read that right.

“People, it turns out, really like fresh air,” he said. Take that, Google!

if their offices are downtown aren't they just replacing the smell of dog farts and cat piss with diesel exhaust and sun-cooked dumpsters?

dog farts cat piss and tech bro bo too

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ayn rand hand job posted:

the average commute last year was about 25 minutes, and only about 8% of the us commutes at least an hour

so not really a ton

8% sounds like a lot to me

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Main Paineframe posted:

hourly shitjob-havers just got hosed in the rear end

or as we call it the american dream (tm)(c)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

uncurable mlady posted:

think about how much time we're stealing from our job creator ubermenschen right now by posting

gettin rock hard doing just that

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pinterest Mom posted:

uber is still evil

I'm just weirded out that they contract out their contracting

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Mr Dog posted:

I'm more amazed by the fact that any mechanical thing can rotate a metal shaft with 1 gigawatt of power

I'm guessing a gigawatt nuclear plant has multiple turbine+generator pairs or something

how the hell does that even work, like how do the turbine blades not get blasted off their welds? that's some serious loving torque, what with an entire Manhattan's worth of electrical load pushing back on the generator

I'mma guess the blades and rotors are milled out of solid blocks of titanium or whatever rather than welded together

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

re: computers not understanding context for laffs

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Thesoro posted:

and it sure seems like earth solved overpopulation.

with ww3: all nukes edition followed by faster than light travel

sounds like a reasonable thing to expect to happen irl

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

syscall girl posted:

on a somewhat related note somebody in the dnd chat thread said they saw fishmech arguing with one of his alternate accounts :allears:

about trains

:rip:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

be fair it said he was on administrative leave but didn't say if it was with or without pay

search your heart

what does it tell you

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

so they're selling them so fast they don't have time ti sit around in a lot somewhere until the paint cures as much as it would if the cars sat on a dealer lot for months before sale

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

the midwest is everything between the appalachians and rockies that doesn't touch the gulf from what I can tell :shrug:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

keyboard vomit posted:

fried cheese curds are the most midwestern thing ever but also the best bar food in existence

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FMguru posted:

did someone change the meaning of the word "famous" while i was sleeping or something

I've lived here for eight years and have never heard of this thing

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Metrication posted:

when i make a sandwich, i roll it into a cylinder and then eat it

I do because I only keep tortilla shells around for sandwich making because they never seem to go bad and are also useful to make actual burritos if that's what I want

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

is https://www.social-matic.com/ tech bubbley or just a bad idea from a failing company to desperately try to remain relevant?

could be both I guess

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

oh hey I just found the specs page

they claim the battery lasts half a day and the thing weighs almost a pound

so I'mma guess battery life is about six hours max

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

so you get 77 pictures out of one roll of this paper and it costs $25 https://www.zink.com/content/2-inch-zroll%99-%96-single

anyone know what it costs to get decent prints in not business card size from a photo department? haven't had cause to think about that in 10+ years lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qirex posted:

basically his take was that from a user experience perspective qr codes are dead now that there's nfc

eeyah no I'm not going to nfc random poo poo even more than I'm not going to scan a random QR code

or was that just re: payment systems? did some clownshoe payment system use QR codes?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qirex posted:

some people seemed disappointed when he explained why android can't have an easy equivalent to apple pay

:allears:

I thought it was all just software fuckery and apparently android phones generally have some secure storage thing nowdays, so I'm not sure how it just can't

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qirex posted:

like remember when jc penny hired ron johnson away from apple and he figured it was more efficient to just have lower pricing instead of 400 discount events per year [that was the actual number, more than one sale per day]? they almost went out of business

americans will spend tons of money trying to get a "good deal" and uber is probably right in assuming that they will make wildly irrational work decisions to try to get a "bonus"

he also tried to make going to jcp a fancy high-end experience (almost like apple stores - gosh that's a weird coincidence!) so the guy's apparently got exactly one move and it only works when your target market has $$$

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Jonny 290 posted:

Actually, here's a good article that backs up what he's saying, pretty solidly.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/04/the-last-shopping-mall/

it's even on fuckin wikipedia so I'm not sure how he missed it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southdale_Center

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

As a Millennial I posted:

all it took for me was one afternoon of highway cleanup crew. make that a requirement for getting a driver's license imo

nah that'll backfire

"ah earnt the right ta throw trash out mah car winda when ah spent that afternoon claeanin up after other assholes"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FMguru posted:

arent most "craft beers" just stuff from miller/coors/bud except put in fancier bottles and sold at a 150% markup?

by liquid volume probably

deffo not by label

there are some microbreweries that don't do their own mash which is sort of like buying the 90whatever% pure alcohol from the distiller and aging/flavoring it into whatever liquor you want

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Sagebrush posted:

Presumably instead of just ordering food immediately, the fridge could create a shopping list and display it on the door for you to approve

that's not disruptive enough for investor story time

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Shifty Pony posted:

the only semi useful iot device I have seen was a wood pellet fired smoker which had a status and control page you could access from anywhere. really nice because you could be out and about doing things instead of having to be near the smoker for 12-14 hours to babysit temperatures.

didn't crip eatin bread make one?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like that HIPAA recognizes faxing as secure and not email

it is more secure compared to most peoples email

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

physicians: lazy people disinterested in saving lives

how much prodding did it take to make checklists part of normal surgical routine?

have they even become a normal thing yet?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

famous global warming denier and sometime author michael crichton certainly couldn't and he graduated from harvard medical

that shitlord hack graduated med school? lmao

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I'm going to take that as him volunteering to have his net worth adjusted down

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i want to road haul him until he's nothing but a pelvis wearing a belt

a belt?! oh the luxury

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

you guys are makin me happy Ive never set foot in a titty bar

unrelated

Elder Postsman posted:

that guy is a fuckin prick

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

the talent deficit posted:

wasn't icahn vocally on herbalife's side when they were massively shorted a couple years ago?

yep

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

it wasn't a bad bet because IIRC herbalife owns the government of whatever state it's run out of and it's not like pyramid schemes get shut down often

still gently caress that guy

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Shifty Pony posted:

california?

you are probably thinking about utah and orrin hatch. for whatever reason utah is filled with bullshit snake oil companies and orrin hatch was a huge defender of them in the senate. thankfully he is gone now.

lol nutritional mlms are such bullshit. here is one literally selling tap water for about $120 per gallon

thought it was Montana for some reason

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Shifty Pony posted:

lol box ipo closed up 65%.

they got hosed out of some serious cash by banks not wanting another Facebook ipo where the early access investors didn't get fat stacks on the opening day.

do they employees get to cash out options immediately or do they have to wait? idk how these things work

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm the 2WD crew cab Ford F-250 being driven by an accountant.

same but with a lift kit oversized tires and a you can keep your change bumper sticker that I can read real clearly because he just cut me off on the highway

yeah that exit he takes to his job every fuckin mornin really crept up on him this time I guess

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

kalstrams posted:

also probably difficult to get in/out

I'm too tall for a lot of small cars

tried to test drive a tiburon years ago but couldn't configure the seat such that I could reach the wheel without having my head pressed into the roof at a ~45° angle

hit my head when I was testing an accord and went over a big bump

I don't get along with small cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Sagebrush posted:

I miss the Ranger

it's back this year

• Locked thread